PDA

View Full Version : 86 XR250R shifter question

GrizzlyBear
06-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Hello everyone, Today my brother was looking into an oil leak coming from his 86 XR250R, The leak was coming from a bolt that is right in front of the shifter and he pulled this out and all the oil drained out so he put the bolt back in and sealed it up and add oil again. Well he went to take it for a ride and when he shifts the shifter does not spring back like it should. It just stays down or up depending on how hes shifting it and then has to move it back to center manually. Does anyone know what might have happend and how this can be fixed? Thank you very much,

Jesse

Dirtcrasher
06-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Was the chain ever thrown?? something could be bent or beat up.

Did he reinstall the same bolt? Is it the correct length or when tightened does it bind something??

I'd simply crack that bolt loose and see if the shifter returns. He could have a bent shift shaft that with some loose bolts on the cover worked fine. Or something inside the clutch cover (where the shift mechanism is) could be loose or screwed up...

Lay it on it's side, back the cover bolts off and see if the shifter returns.

xd 200x
06-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Take the side cover off and look at the star my rfcv xr200r (same engine different stroke) did the same thing and the sifter fork was off the star. I'm guessing that is what it is. The bolt you are talking about has nothing to do with the shifter if I'm thinking of the same one. (again my engine is not in front of me and is 300 miles away or I would give you the exact answer.)