PDA

View Full Version : 250EX Throttle Stop

kdagenais
06-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Just bought a new 250EX for my son and was wondering where I can get a thumb throttle that has the adjustable stop on it. Just want to let him get use to it before I let him get crazy is all. Also was wondering if anyone has put any GPS tracking on there bikes and if so which ones seem to work the best?
Thanks In Advance!

RedRider_AK
06-27-2007, 02:57 AM
The stock throttle doesn't adjust? There is usually a screw on the brake lever side (front) of the housing that adjusts back and forth to allow you to keep the throttle from opening up all the way. I don't think that putting a throttle stop in there is a good idea, it'll make that tiny engine not work to it's full potential, and because it's a semi-manual tranny, you'll be short-shifting it all over the place. Plus, it'll have a higher chance of running out of steam on hills and stalling out/rolling backwards. Just tell your son that he should take it easy the first couple weeks, and supervise him to make sure he's doing ok.

smokinwrench
06-27-2007, 07:53 AM
I know guys that listen for there kids shifting and only allow them 3 gears. It would be easy to drill and tap a hole in the throttle housing and install a bolt and jam nut.

How old is your boy and how do you like the 250ex. I have been lookign at 1 for my boy.

kdagenais
06-27-2007, 08:40 AM
The current thumb throttle housing doesn't have the adjustable stop on it like I am use to seeing. That is what I am looking for and am not sure where to find one. Just want to replace the thumb part with one that has the adjustment on it so it is easy to change later.

RedRider_AK
06-27-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't think they sell adjustable thumb levers, it's almost always in the housing itself. Either do what Smokinwrench said and home-make one, or don't do it and supervise the kid for the first couple weeks. -shrug-