PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of the 300ex and 250ex?

Dynofox
05-06-2003, 12:06 PM
My 15 year old brother is interested in getting a quad sometime soon. Right now he is riding my 83 185s, but he's not into trikes and wants a quad. :x He is interested in a 250ex because he doesn't know how to use a clutch and wants something easy to ride. I told him he should look for a used 300ex because I think he will out grow the 250ex after a year. I can't imagine learning to use a clutch on a 300ex would be very hard, they seem like a good sport beginner bike. He just likes to cruise the trails and isn't into racing or anything like that. What do you guys think?

200xer
05-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Learning to use a clutch is something everyone should learn, I think atleast. Neither are big quads, but not blaster small either. 250ex would have less maintenance because of the shaft drive, but chain isn't a big deal. I think he should test out one of each, and choose the one he likes better. Can't go wrong either way.

Cheese
05-06-2003, 04:55 PM
I would choose something that fits him. If he does just like to put around on them in the woods and trails maybe go with the 250. But if he plans on doing some actual riding go with the 300ex, and he will be glad he did once he gets comfortable with the clutch. I wouldn't choose the 250ex just because he doesnt know how to work the clutch!

ATC crazy
05-06-2003, 05:02 PM
My FIRST ride was an XR100R and I had the clutch mastered in a week or 2 and the age of 7. Once he learns how to work it he will be very happy he got the 300EX. Although both machines are great, If he learns quick, likes to ride hard, or is thinking about keeping it for a while, go 300EX

TimSr
05-06-2003, 11:16 PM
Id disagree that he will "outgrow" the 250EX, and in considering the 300EX much of a step up from it. He'd probably be happy with any of the three mentioned, and while most sport riders like a manual clutch, some people, especially leisure cruisers, dont want them. Especially when doing a lot of stop and go riding. When TimJr was little and before he became a speed demon, and Id take him riding, the autoclutch and electric start TRX250 was definately my first choice. It is adviseable to learn to use a clutch, but if hes going to do the riding, he should choose what he's most comfortable on that he can afford.

Dynofox
05-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. As of right now we're looking for a blaster for him. I've been looking through the local ads, and for the money blasters seem like a good deal. It should be a good quad for him being light weight, small, and a very easy motor to learn on. One of my friends just picked up a bone stock 02 blaster and after taking it for a spin I couldn't believe how easy it was to ride, you can lug the motor right down and almost ride it like a 4 stroke.

Wickedfinger
05-07-2003, 01:50 PM
.... The hardest part about learning a manual clutch is getting out of first gear - after that its gravy - Blasters are the absolutely best deal in used ATVing and would make an ideal first mount. If they break, they're simple and cheap to fix. In comparing apples to apples - The 300X or 250X have almost 2" more wheel travel, a larger and wider (i.e. more stable) chassis , much better brakes and maybe 1/3 more horsepower than the two valve, transverse mounted, utility motored 250EX. Personally, I really don't see how Honda is selling alot of the 250EX's - any good salesperson worth his salt should be able to talk just about anyone into the 300EX if they're looking at the 250EX , but than again, this whole auto-clutch thing sticks with alot of people. I just think people outgrow the 250EX too quickly and see its limitations. If I were in the market for an auto clutch, Id probably make it a Kawie Lakota, but thats me - If I didnt feel like learning to shift (which is the poorest excuse in the world - if you can learn a manual shifting transmission, you would be able to drive anything - now thats empowerment!!!) I'd most likely get a Polaris Trailblazer or 400L - albiet the 400L has alot of power for a beginner.

Z250blues
05-17-2003, 04:44 AM
Blaster Blaster Blaster
I agree with the Blaster choice. To learn to shift is to learn how to TRUELY control a bike. A Blaster is a keeper, it can grow with you. Cheap and reliable. My riding buddy is 6"2' and has a highly worked Blaster and extended in every direction. Blows by a stock 400ex off the line. One of the best trail bikes out there, the narrow frame and light weight makes it very agile.

REDMAN225
05-21-2003, 04:44 PM
from what i've read!, youd could learn and go from the 250ex,bypass the 300ex, and go right into the 400ex. the 250 and 300 ex's are close enough in size and power. the blaster is also a good choice as is the lakota sport. then again...u cant go wrong with a trailblazer. decision...decisions.

trikerider2oo7
05-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Go with a 400EX. They are nice and he'll never row out of it. Learning to use a clutch is like learning how to drive without one...VERY SIMPLE

ATC crazy
05-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Just be sure to get a Honda or Yamaha