PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood Lake NY wintertrikefest

riverrat
07-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Who would be interested in coming over here, and doing a poker run on the frozen lake?

We could also do ice drags, and there is always an oval around to have fun with.

I know several lakefront owners, where we can cruise the whole lake, and pick up the cards, then go back to a restaurant, and eat together.

I can probably arrange this with the restaurant owner (anyone of several) but need to know, just how many people would be interested in doing this.

If you are going to travel here from far, there are some cheesy hotels around the lake, or some better ones about 1/2 hour away.

We can do it over a weekend, and do a bon-fire Saturday night where I live. Or by the restaurant.

I am a local business owner myself, and I have many connections around here. Riding on the lake is well accepted when it is frozen. We usually team up together and ride 4 and 3 wheelers together.

Maybe we could do an obstacle course as well if the conditions are right. Maybe do some time trials throug it. Many possibilities for fun.

All I need to know is how many are interested, so I can start to plan, it is only 6 months away. Then I would also need some help, I have some already.

Depending the amount of riders, we could do 3+4, and bike riders. Or if there is enough, just make it a 3 wheel thing.

Anthony

riverrat
07-03-2007, 04:31 AM
So wierd, I'm browsing through google videos, and I start watching this 250R goign across a lake, and I'm like, hey wait a mintue, that's Greenwood Lake!

Watch this video, and this is some of what you could expect!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6070949973163075348&q=3+wheeler

riverrat
07-03-2007, 04:39 AM
Ok, who is this guy, come clean..
http://home.comcast.net/~atc330rrider/iceracerpage.htm

Is he here on these forums?

chris200x
07-03-2007, 05:15 AM
That is member ChrisD here on the forums. :TrikesOwn

Bryan Raffa
07-03-2007, 06:57 AM
ohhhhh winter trike fest thats sounds like one hell of a time!!!!

johnny's X
07-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I think I could find myself into this. Its a long time away so planning is good

riverrat
07-05-2007, 07:17 PM
I would say I have the interest of over a dozen people already. If I include four wheelers, it would obviously be much more.

So I am going to go with, "build it, they will come"

Over the next two weeks, I will have the date picked (sometime in Feb.) and the restaurant set, with the map for the poker run laid out.

I will also see if a local bike shop will help me with the planning.
Details will follow.

badasskfx
07-05-2007, 07:43 PM
how deep will the snow get up there? i know if its to deep the poker run is out unless you plow a rode. i might be interested with some buddies so keep it coming.

ChrisD
07-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey guys.

I don't think you will have any trouble finding people to ride on the lake if it freezes. The only problem is that the past two years have pretty much sucked. We only got 2 weekends 2 years ago and only 1 this past year. Fortunately it was during "Winter Carnival" so it was a ton of fun.

If you were to organize something, I would shoot for Presidents Day weekend (also Winter Carnival at Breezy Point) There are tons of people, bikes, fireworks, etc. then.

We have usually raced in front of Castle Tavern, but do move around the lake depending on what the ice looks like and who feels like plowing a track.

I race with about 20 guys every winter. Not everyone is there every weekend, but it's a good group of guys. I'm usually the guy that gets up early on the first weekend to plow out a track and I live by Castle Tavern so that's what it's been.

chris200x
07-05-2007, 09:11 PM
You bring up a good point about the weather... Yous may have to bring jetskis instead of trikes the way its been warm the last few years.

I'd be intrested in something like this but it's way to early to say for sure. It's not too far for alot of us PA guys.

honda_atc200es
07-05-2007, 09:32 PM
are pit bikes allowed lol? could you tell me how far this location would be from ny zipcode 12589

Bryan Raffa
07-05-2007, 09:45 PM
if it freeze's I would come down for the weekend..Im down for the closest cheep hotel..and some Ice fishin!

riverrat
07-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Chris is exactly right. Last two years have been short, but good.

I don't know if this would work during the winter carnival or not, might be a good idea to incorporate the two.

They were supposed to have motorcycle races, but the plow left too much snow close to the track, and some water creeped up the night before, making the track useless. The next week we had fun on it.

Let me talk to the owner of the Breezy, and see what he says.

I used to know the owner of the Castle, but I am sure if I go talk to him, and try to bring him in some business this winter, he would appreciate it and we could base there (park trailers and tucks etc.)

I will post hotel info once I finalize everything.

I am open to suggestions, and the wisdom of the people who do this sort of thing all the time.

Riding on the ice is a total blast!!

Snow won't be a problem unless we get 2 feet the night before or something. Other than that, the snow blows off, or if it is too heavy, the water creeps up into the snow, and freezes it, adding to the thickness of the ice.

But this whole thing depends on weather the ice freezes or not. Only one year in the last 14 years did it not freeze. Global warming does not help. So plans should be made tentatively. We will know a few weeks before if the ice freezes, and then all reservations can be made.

I also ice fish, but I don't know if there would be time for that.

Last year they had a 30ft tall bon-fire, along with fireworks during winter carnival. They also brought in a budweiser hummer with a trailer, that was a portable tap (8 taps!).
They do polar bear swims, and a bunch of other crazy stuff.

Guaranteed fun!

Bryan Raffa
07-05-2007, 11:06 PM
chris200x will stay at the same hotel as the the budwiser hummer & trailer..find that out for him Bhahahahhahaahhah

riverrat
07-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Well I talked with the owner of the Breezy point inn, the place that hosts the winter carnival. He said that if we were to have any kind of drag race around here, that the insurance would cost $5-6,000.
Also if I sponsor anything, (poker run) and someone gets hurt, it can all come back to me, which makes sense.

So, if I do this legitimately, (poker run) people would have to sign up, and at least have registered, and insured ATV's.

Which I am not sure is even required, but I will investigate further.

Also, the way he did drags in the past, was to hold radar gun time trials, to see who had the fastest sled. So this way you are not going up against anyone.

I also have to contact the head of the association that run the ice-motorcycle races on the lake. They might be able to include us somehow in some oval racing, and be covered.

This is NY, the place where sueing people, and insurance rules. I don't even feel free anymore, and sometimes I wish I could live somewhere else. But that won't stop me from trying. I am positive something will go down. Looks like I will have to registered my own vehicles to do it though, not a bad idea considering where I live.

So as of right now, looks like we can do the:
poker run
radar gun time trials
oval racing (depending on the motorcycle org)

Anything else that happens, would be impromptu, and not part of the activities. But let's just say that once you are on the ice, you can pretty much do what you want.

The winter carnival alone, would be worth the trip. :)

Bryan Raffa
07-14-2007, 11:54 PM
get it going and we'll show up..buildin another ice runner as we speak...

riverrat
07-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Either way, whether I do an official thing, or not. I would say that I am riding the weekend of the winter carnival, and you all should go.

But I am well on the way to making it official.

I will post all the hotel info, and directions once I get it going. I will start a new thread, this is more like a planning thread.

I want to have everything in order by the end of August, and that gives 5.5 months of planning time.

badasskfx
07-19-2007, 08:33 PM
if i come i would like to sleep in an ice house so if you can set that up that would be great. around what weekend will this happen?

Chevy200s
07-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm definilty in, I just gotta get a few of my trikes registerd I guess, which kinda sucks but hey I've been meaning to do it for years, now I got a good excuse. Just post the date and I'm there with bunch of trikes and a few friends. great idea dude!

riverrat
07-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Usually winter carnival happens on Presidents day weekend.
I will confirm, with another thread.

There are no ice houses here. I was one of the first to make a temporary one that I've seen. Sometimes I see the portable ones.
But ice houses rock.

Again, the poker run should not be a problem, just working on all the other stuff. Definitely something will happen, as long as there is ice.

ChrisD
07-23-2007, 09:14 PM
I was at GWL this weekend, but was mostly at the other house above Middletown. I did speak with some of the guys. We can help you set it up. I also spoke with the new people at Castle Tavern. They saw my videos and website. They love it. I think we can bribe them into drink and food specials considering that they recognize that our group of friends are their primary winter traffic.

Anyway, I hoped to get together with you, but ended up all over the place...I haven't been at the lake since February, so we will have to get together another time.

My group of guys can reach 20-30 people. Many of them ice race also.

riverrat
07-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Sounds great!

Yea, I was pretty busy all weekend myself, so I doubt if there was a time when we could have met. Don't worry, there is plenty of time.

Do they have a group with insurance, or just get together on the fly?

ChrisD
07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Are you kidding?....let the buyer beware. This is grass roots. We race because we love to compete. There have been many broken bones. I have 2 sets of broken ribs, there are 2 guys that have broken shoulders, one guy with a crushed spine (he is fine) etc. This is total "ride at your own risk" racing at its best, not the AMA. Try to find insurance on anything 3 wheeler, forget about razor sharp studs spinning at 5000 RPM included. It will never happen.

Anyway, don't sweat it. Don't promote ice racing, just let it happen....it will. 99% of the time, the only thing broken is someone's pride. :lol:

Bryan Raffa
07-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Im comeing to lose!! no pride broke there:lol:

spinning razor studs where?:eek:

riverrat
07-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Razor sharp studs?

You guys just don't use screws? You use actual studs?

Bryan Raffa
07-27-2007, 11:52 PM
studs, screws samething.. your thinkin of picks? like on a sled

ChrisD
07-28-2007, 07:34 AM
everyone uses Kold Kutter ice screws. They are very sharp and grip very well. You can pull 4th gear wheelies on the ice with them. They are hardened and V cut. They are not spikes, but they will tear you up if you get hit by a tire.

riverrat
07-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Thats what I thought.
You have a good place to buy them?

Also, what tire was it you recommended for the ice?

ChrisD
07-29-2007, 10:20 AM
I use the Cheng Shin C826 18x9.5x8.

honda_atc200es
07-29-2007, 11:29 AM
how far is winter trike fest going to be from middletown id like to stud the tires on my pitbike and see what happens when i take it to the ice

riverrat
08-01-2007, 09:26 PM
how far is winter trike fest going to be from middletown id like to stud the tires on my pitbike and see what happens when i take it to the ice

40 mins, exactly.

Down 17, to ext 129. Then 8 miles down lakes rd. to Greenwood Lake.

I will post all the info soon.

Bryan Raffa
08-26-2007, 07:45 AM
I got the itch all ready!:D

atctim
08-27-2007, 04:15 PM
I might be up for this - sounds cool - very very cool! Downright cold - but anyway - let's get this thing going.

Bryan Raffa
08-28-2007, 06:40 AM
I might be up for this - sounds cool - very very cool! Downright cold - but anyway - let's get this thing going.

built in hand warmer! :) put your hands on the pipe :lol:

Chevy200s
08-29-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm in, hope to have both the 250R and the 200s registered and ready to go by then, might even bring my sled along. a few buddies of mine will be there as well, were lookin forward to it

badasskfx
08-31-2007, 08:46 PM
whats the town and zip code? deepa trickle rydetriz and barcuda what do you guys think go to new york for the weekend? if we start planning now its very possible!!!!

ChrisD
09-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi Guys

I don't know where riverrat is, but I can chime in here. The town is Greenwood Lake NY, 10925. I can put a couple people up at my place there. I'm sure that there are others around that can accomodate people also.

You can go to www.greenwoodlake.org for more information. There are hotels in town, but you will want to reserve spaces ASAP. The weekend that has been suggested is during the Winter Carnival and is a lot of fun. There is a ton of people, fireworks, races, events, etc. Also plenty of riding.

Please PM me if I can answer any questions.

brrcuda
09-07-2007, 09:23 PM
whats the town and zip code? deepa trickle rydetriz and barcuda what do you guys think go to new york for the weekend? if we start planning now its very possible!!!!

This is like 3 hours away - so its def. doable.

What's the deal for registrations though? Is it mandatory and does anyone know how much for out of state reggies in NY?

ChrisD
09-08-2007, 09:24 AM
If you stay out of town, there is not a problem with registrations. I only got my bikes registered last year and no one ever checked even when I was in town. I didn't even have my license plate on the bike.

There is usually only one "Quad-Nazi" as we call him and he was riding a 4x4. If you see him coming your way, you just drive in a different direction.

We race at Castle Tavern most of the time, and the police never go there.

chris200x
09-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Does the Castle Tavern serve appletini's? :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/100_2604.jpg

Tri-ZNate
09-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Shoot thats only 2.5 hours away, I'm commin. I have a set of holeshots I wanted to stud anyway

Jason Hall
09-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Sounds like a good time & Real close to where I grew up.

Bryan Raffa
09-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Dammmmm.. Its lookin like a Full MOTO Race!! I would love to see this turn into a yearly get together... Dont forget I live on a lake too! If I can work in sub-zero weather I shure as hell can play in it!:D

scooterroo
09-09-2007, 12:03 PM
where bouts is this lake? i know the winter carnival in lake george is in feburary as well, and always a good ttime up there. plenty of parking and as long as your respectful, the dec doesnt bother you even when your on the raods. plus plenty of places to eat, get hotel rooms, and plenty of bars for after riding.

scooterroo
09-09-2007, 12:07 PM
well just checked that website out, and thats very doable for me, about 2 hours south on 87...

whyzee
09-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I may be able to make it!:w00t:
need to get some ice tires
anybody got a spare set they want to part with?

riverrat
09-20-2007, 08:30 AM
I've been running into many locals with 3 wheelers all of a sudden. Seems like there is a lot of interest, and the turn out should be awesome.

Hope to see you all there.

I haven't posted in a while, I've been under the weather, but back on track now, and can continue rebuilding my 250r.

tri-Z ripper
09-21-2007, 07:47 PM
i will be there give ma an address and a date and we be riding!:TrikesOwn

Bryan Raffa
11-05-2007, 10:32 PM
what do you guys think about doing a little ICE Series? like everyother weekend type deal.. Ill do a weekend at my house ..Brapp has a Nice BIG pond (small lake) at his house and could possibley work it into his pensltucky ride witch is a good turn out..An of corse Greenwood,,could plan according to ice conditions.. Ponds are the best they Freeze First and get the thickest... Whos got a big pond,or small lake we could add? In our area.. and get something going..

pete250r
11-06-2007, 10:03 AM
i would go i am local

johnny's X
11-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Well if we are going to make it a series we should count in the lake by me. Chautauqua lake. We can run the trikes on this lake. If we are going to do it lets make it worth wild. 2 stroke class and 4 stroke class and keep points from lake to lake. This could get pretty huge it we played our cards rights. I am willing to drive for some ice races if anyone else is.

Bryan Raffa
11-06-2007, 05:35 PM
hey atctim.. got any big farm ponds on the ranch?

thats what Im talkin about johnny!!

gotta rember tho if the snows deep were gonna need a atv with a plow,, I got a poolaris here with a plow and Im shure brapp has something with a plow.

Tri-ZNate
11-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Im shure brapp has something with a plow.

We got Some string and some 2"x4" pieces of WOOD :w00t:

Bryan Raffa
11-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Well if we are going to make it a series we should count in the lake by me. Chautauqua lake. We can run the trikes on this lake. If we are going to do it lets make it worth wild. 2 stroke class and 4 stroke class and keep points from lake to lake. This could get pretty huge it we played our cards rights. I am willing to drive for some ice races if anyone else is.

Non studded race would be fun to watch:)

johnny's X
11-07-2007, 10:39 AM
We dont have to worry about the plow here. I have a plow that would work perfect. Lets get enough people to make it worth doing. We need for sure people so we can set up the dates and points system. Hell even some cash to enter event for season and points winner takes all. Put money in wich class you wants to be in. 4 stroke, 2 stroke, open class, non stud 2 stroke, non stud 4 stroke. This could be a kick as* time.

Meat-BoX
11-10-2007, 02:41 PM
You guys got this idea rolling. Sounds like a great idea and would be a great way to meet up. Would make a nice annual get together. I actually think I can get ready by the time the ice freezes as I got that great job at S.U. I will have off from mid December till mid January for vacation so im sure I could get to a few events. Later in the winter up here in Central N.Y. Oneida Lake is very popular for anything with a motor or a sail. There are some hot spots at where the bars sit along the shore in some nice bays. Its right smack dab in the middle of N.Y. right off of the thruway and Rt.81 Might be worth thinking about if you are interested.
Quick couple of questions.
I have the rear end off because I was going to install the Cal-Fab, would a stock swinger be better than a +2" swinger for Ice racing/Flat Track. I seem to remember Shorter is better for flat track.
Also I seem to remember Chen Shin had a nice cheap knobby that I was told is great for Ice Racing setup. Got the name of the tire? Whats the best front tire for the fatty 84-85 Tecate? I have Kenda front Max's on both the Tecate and 200X as they rule, but I really dont want to stud them up and they are new. Oh yea would you run 18" or 20" tires and why?
I have 2.5" hub extenders for the Tecate but the studs I popped out of the Tecate Hub are splined, do I find long bolts like that or just go with regular smooth bolts? I would like the bolts to be splined to match the hub, does it matter and where can I find these bolts. Once set up I will be at 50" wide and with the 86-87 adjustable dog bone I will sit low. I think It will be a nice setup. Im sure this info will help anyone wanting to set up for the ice this winter.
Maybe some of the more experienced Ice Racers could do a little write up In the racers section on how to setup for Ice racing and whats best to use. How to stud your tires, stud patterns and with whats the best studs for conditions. A nice informational piece that should stay up for everyone to look at untill summer.

ChrisD
11-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Hey guys

I can race Greenwood Lake, Pennsylvania and even Conesus Lake. My wife recently had our second baby so my choices are slightly limited this year. GWL is obvious, but PA races are not too far from me and my wife's roomate from college is from Canandaigua....that should be an easy sell on her. I can leave her with her freind and shoot over to Raffa's place. It's pretty danm warm so far, so keep your fingers crossed. I'm working to get ready either way.

Oh and Meat-Box.....here is a link for you

http://home.comcast.net/~atc330rrider/iceracerpage1.html

Bryan Raffa
11-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Canandaigua HuH... right over the hill 20-30 min,,6:12 AM and it's 29 dregrees out right now .. feels like 22! it's comeing!

The lake is loseing heat,, It's like a giant fog rolling of it!

Billy Golightly
11-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Canandaigua HuH... right over the hill 20-30 min,,6:12 AM and it's 29 dregrees out right now .. feels like 22! it's comeing!

The lake is loseing heat,, It's like a giant fog rolling of it!

That sounds like the perfect time for a dip in the lake before it freezes over :lol:

Hopefully it'll freeze over for ya, can't wait to see some ice racing action.

Bryan Raffa
11-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Thats Cool Gary I know when mik6 get back around were gonna do something with his bike.. It would be great to see team green on the ice! Get busy!!
check with mike he might have some old tires worth studing

Grade 8 bolts ,for the spacers, and they dont have to be threded the whole way

scooterroo
11-12-2007, 08:30 AM
what about the great sacandaga? or lake george? the sacandaga is huge, could ride all day, theres a few cool bars and even a few sand pits to ride with some nice hills. lake george has the winter carnival during feburary, the entire month of feburary, every weekend is something different. plus you can park right in the town and ride from your vehicles as long as your respectful on the streets. quite a few bars and resturants right there in the village to warm up in and have a few :beers . would be awesome to have a take over of trikes one weekend. lake george is 30 minutes north of albany on the northway rt87, and sacandaga is centrally located sorta, you can get off any exit from 26 to 28 to get there and its only a short drive of the thruway, maybe a 30 minutes or so. i should have the 85 ready for action so i will be looking to do alot of lake riding this year.

Meat-BoX
11-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Im getting the cash flow ready now. Got a few hundred now need a few more hundred. Got lots of work to do. Rear end, rear brak line broke, whole new clutch setup, damn twist throttle cable broke and I havnt ridden that green machine all summer. It needs to get done and will. Ice racing was allways a favorite of mine and now that im old and busted up, its a form of racing that agrees with this old broken body. Would be so cool to get with Mike for this. He's always a good fun guy to hang with and that would put the green machines at about 4 for a few races.
Lake George would be cool. Anything in the Adirondaks is allways cool. I hear that they have all kinds of things going on in the winter and if my memory serves me right theve been ice racing proffesionally up there every year since I was racing in the mid to late 80's. Im down for Lake George. Let all those Tourists freak out on our 3 wheelers beating down their quads:w00t:
Anyone find any info on the ice racing up there? I will need to look.

Thanks for that Info Raffa. I think in the next few weeks I will be getting started on this thing. If for any reason it dont get done then I will have to bust out the 200X That thing will start up and ride even if it sat for a few years. I love that thing. Wish my Tecate was as solid as the 200X, that thing will not die. Ive been riding that because the quad got mashed up and the Tecate likes to sit and look pretty.:TrikesOwn

digity x
11-12-2007, 06:46 PM
thats funny meat-box me and you have the same atvs almost, 85 t3 200x lt250r but yeah if you guys go to lk george im in no doubt and i agree the 200x is the best.runs forever,im interested in greenwood lake to.

pete250r
11-14-2007, 11:26 AM
i would go to both is there any thing set up greenwood lake and lake george i need some good ice tire's

Russell 350X
11-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Where abouts is Greenwood lake and lake George? I may be interested in going.

scooterroo
11-18-2007, 08:57 AM
greenwood lake is off exit 17 on the nys thruway I87, lake george is exit 21 on the northway I87. always a fun time in lake george.

pete250r
11-18-2007, 03:07 PM
is green wood lake thing gonna happen

ChrisD
11-18-2007, 04:12 PM
hey pete

The GWL idea was first thrown out there by Riverrat, but he has not been around in a while, so I don't know about an "official" poker run. He is the organizer, and I can help out, but since I don't get up to the lake that often, I cannot do it myself. Another wildcard is the weather. It's still danm warm out for the lake to freeze. We will have to wait a little longer to be sure. The weekend would be on Presidents Day in February because that is when the town has the winter carnival. We will be racing that weekend for sure.

We race there all the time anyway. I don't go every weekend, but do get a few weekends at the lake. There is a group at the track every weekend though. As it gets closer, I will let you know what is happening. Right now, I am getting my bikes ready to race.

Hey Mr. Raffa....when does your lake freeze? By MLK weekend?

Bryan Raffa
11-18-2007, 07:01 PM
depends chris,, good week of zero out should do it ..jan,feb,march..Ive seen it not freeze before..my fingers are crossed..hopefully after christmas we'll have a idea

ChrisD
11-18-2007, 07:21 PM
ditto.....OK sounds good.

Meat-BoX
12-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Hmmm, lets see. I got over a foot of snow on the ground and the damn sleds are flying by. Im thinking we will be racing in the very near future. Whats the deal with the lakes we want to go to. Green Wood and Lake George are a must. Oneida Lake here where I live here in Syracuse is cool and its 30 miles long:beer and smack dab in the center of New York
Its a shallow lake and there are plenty of bays where they race anything from Sailboats on skates to cars. Im sure we can fit alot of trikes on there. I do believe there is an annual event there also, so I will look and see. Lots of motels and Hotels within a mile of the lake. Lets get this solid so we can plan for some events.

PS.
The Tecate goes to the builders this weekend so it looks like there will be some green on the lakes finally this winter. It feels good to know that shes gonna be done and race ready in the near future. See ya on the ice people.

Bryan Raffa
12-04-2007, 11:07 PM
the north end of my lake freezes first , real shallow, nothing yet..
few lakes over is only 30' deep at the deepest ,,and freezes faily quick

I have been looking at the local farmers ponds,, they are froze over

Meat-BoX
12-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Woo hoo winter Trikefest at Raffa's. I say we get all the ATC's hard tails out on the farm ponds for some serious close quarter Ice racing action:naughty:
I wish I still had that 125 M for that. That would be so fun and a great party.
I have a few secret ponds I got my eye on for testing but no plow. Guess I will just have to wipe her off with lots of sideways action.:cool: Gonna have the 200x and the Tecate out there, and maybe my King Quad for the Film crew:pics: That was a new quad untill I let a friend ride her. Shes all messed up but is a trooper . She just needs some major surgery.:eek:
Raffa, your gonna make at least a couple of these events I hope. Got to chill with you and have a great weekend of frozen fun.:beer
Still hav'nt heard from Mike. He must be busy. Hope he can make some races.
Nows the time to start getting solid plans and finding out who can go where. Im going all in as Ice racing and Flat tracking are my favorite.:welcome:

Bryan Raffa
12-04-2007, 11:59 PM
yes yes I will after Christmas. I'm really gonna buckle down on my two bikes
and hope to make it to all of them ..and will be on the ice every weekend ,,as long as it lasts.. I need to get up to mikes and help him get his bike straitened out..

it will be a wile before my lake freezes :(

soon.. man.. soon.. get your bike done ..good god.. I bet that will feel good after 10 years!;)

Tri-ZNate
12-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Woo hoo winter Trikefest at Raffa's. I say we get all the ATC's hard tails out on the farm ponds for some serious close quarter Ice racing action:naughty:

The ALTs, 70s, and 110s will be brought out at the Pennsyltucky ride :D.

You guys organize it and I'll get there :Bounce

JohnR.
12-05-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm definitely down for racing on Greenwood Lake since I'm out there most weekends with the 330R anyway and I might be able to hit up one of the other ones too.

A word of advice, if you're going to do any sort of riding on Greenwood Lake outside of the track that we set up, I'd recommend getting your trike registered. It's cheap ($15) and will prevent you from having any problems with the local cops or DEC police. No insurance is necessary on the lake.

John

Bryan Raffa
12-05-2007, 09:52 PM
both mine are reg... all tho I did lose a plate in ether IN or PA......:mad:

:welcome: :welcome:

JohnR.
12-05-2007, 09:58 PM
I reg'd my 350x and just move the plate over to the R when I ride that. The powdercoating on the frame of the R made it impossible to read the VIN anyway.

John

Meat-BoX
12-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Registration? How I do that? My Tecate is like from 20 different trikes and is 23 years old. Can I just throw my Quad plate on it or something? Why do I have to even worry about it.

Bryan Raffa
12-06-2007, 11:02 AM
dont matter how many bikes it's made from.. its the vin on the frame.. call the local sheriff's office and ask them to send a cop over with a VIN Verification form or do a trace of the vin and have the cop sign it.. that and a bill of sale..I had my olady write that for $50.

now as for a lost plate .. also I have to have a cop come over and verify that its missing..DMV wont do nothing until I do that.:crazy:

Chevy200s
12-06-2007, 11:23 AM

Dude that would be awesome haha, I can bring out the 200s, ytm 200 and lets not forget the ever powerful and race ready klt 110:lol: Seriously thought whatever you lake you guys end up choosing I'm in with the 250R, lets hope we keep getting the snow and cold temperatures

Bryan Raffa
12-06-2007, 12:08 PM
also we have a old member currently working on a 300r to play with us!:w00t:

Dirt bikes run the North end of my lake ALOT NO PLATES ON THEM!

scooterroo
12-06-2007, 12:35 PM
im gonna register mine this year, better safe then sorry i guess. i have never ridden with my bikes registered or insured, usually go outlaw style, but i have heard the dec will be cracking down this year on the lakes.

Bryan Raffa
12-06-2007, 01:17 PM
My boat is reg.. but not insured..and have wreaked havoc up and down the lake.. pulled over many time's never once been asked for proof of insurance.. why should a trike be any different IMO.. you right better safe than sorry..

Bryan Raffa
12-06-2007, 03:25 PM
just found out that honeoye lake froze over last night..hope it stays to make more...

ChrisD
12-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey Raffa

Let me know how it goes....getting out by you is an "easy sale" on the wife! I have one of those 14 hour per day demanding jobs so I don't get away often, but can get away on MLK weekend. That is the first 3 day weekend I can do in January because we have off that day.

Bryan Raffa
12-06-2007, 09:52 PM
will do..the next lake over is only 20-30 away from ny house..

Bryan Raffa
12-08-2007, 05:35 PM
hey chris that same lake puts on a winter carnival also..Im trying to get ahold of a buddy of mine who is involved with it, to see if we could be a part of it,,they have drag races,cars,quads over there..drive right out on the lake and unload..:)

JohnR.
12-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Last year they were planning on having motorcycle races (oval) but there was a problem with the ice getting too thin I think and I don't think that they had them. Before that, they never had head to head racing because the insurance for that would be cost prohibitive. Instead, they had you go down a strip one machine at a time and they recorded your MPH. I'm assuming they broke it up into classes and the fastest MPH won. I think that when they tried to have the bikes racing last year, it was an AMA event and we are not welcome in them. That's the biggest reason I never joined the AMA. The winter carnival is hosted by The Breezy Point Inn (http://www.breezypointinn.com/), their web site is useless but it does have a phone number that you can call for more info. I'm going to try to swing by there and see if they have any fliers made up for it yet. We usually hang out towards the NY/NJ state line at The Castle Tavern (http://www.thecastletavern.com/) since its far enough away from the village that the local cops don't pester us and they have more parking there. Hopefully it comes together this year.

John

Meat-BoX
12-08-2007, 07:21 PM
I have 10" rims, and am looking for an 18x10x10 tire? I was just wondering where the best prices are for these tires. I saw a few sets studded up on E-Bay now but I think they are for an 8" rim? Do the Studs penetrate all the way through the tires? Whats a good length stud? We just did wood screws back in the day. Got to buy these parts before my money gets pissed away. Still need to figure out a good front tire. Maybe the Front max would be a good Ice tire. But I dont want to stud up a new $70 tire. Any suggestions for that big fat front tire.

Um, It doesnt look good for my tire choice. I have a 4x156 mm rim pattern and 10" ITP rims. Do I need 4x110mm rim pattern to get the smaller rims and tires?

JohnR.
12-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah, the stock Kawi pattern is just too big for anything smaller than a 10" rim. I have a set of DG hubs that fit a Kawi but have a Honda bolt pattern. I think that the 1986's have a different spline than the earlier ones though. The studs do go all the way through but its not usually a problem. You can put a little Slime in if you'd like some insurance. I have Fast Trekkers on the back of my Kawi and a studded stocker on the front.

John

Meat-BoX
12-08-2007, 08:04 PM
So it looks like im running 20" tires I guess Hell I have no clue what the heck im running. I just need a set of tires fast before my money disappears:eek:. Pick me a good set up and I will go with that. You have the experience. Are the 84 Tecate hubs a 4x110mm pattern for 8" rims Which is a Honda setup? I see some for $1 If so I may do that. I need to get lower to the ice.:w00t:

Bryan Raffa
12-08-2007, 10:21 PM
20's are fine hell im running 22's 10'rim down a tooth on the front.. Do you have any spair tires? what size is the front rim on that?

Meat-BoX
12-08-2007, 10:33 PM
According to the Manual it says the front Tire is 22x11x10 so I guess its a 10" rim up front?
I need this get this project done before its too late. I want to race in circles in sub zero temperture with other fast tripods.

JohnR.
12-09-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm sorry, I left out the fact that I am running 18" Trekkers on 10" rims in the back. The front on my '86 is an 11" rim but your older one might be different. Honestly, if you've got a fairly worn front that holds air then you should be good for the front. Order a bag of 1000 1" ice screws and you'll be good to go.

John

Meat-BoX
12-09-2007, 11:16 AM
:eek:
1000 screws may take me untill summer to get planted into my tires. Well that sucks. I had a new, Turf Tamer? that was just for my Tecate build, but I brought it to T.F. 06 and gave it to Howdy. Guess I can get 2 more of those. They look like a good Ice tire. I get the Titan Turf Tamer and Titan Fast Trekkers mixed up. Even though I got one set on my Tecate.
Well I spent the money on the 200X and shes all done for now. New Plastics and Sticker kit. If I have any money left over I would love an 86 seat cover from Cosmic Quads as Mr. and Mrs. Moshman kick ass and do sweet work.:beer
Ahhhh the look of a nice clean 86 200X under my tree makes me all warm inside. You will see that baby tooling around on the Ice this year for sure. She just always seems to start right up and run strong all day.:w00t:
Maybe some of you can ride her and tell me what you think is wrong with the front end. It pulls hard to the right. Makes me tired but I guess if I race in that direction I may be able to do it with no hands:naughty:

JohnR.
12-09-2007, 06:40 PM
It doesn't take that long to do them, you use a cordless drill with a 1/4" socket bit on it. Turf Tamers aren't really the ideal tire for studding unless they are worn enough that the dimples are gone and even then, they are kind of soft and tend to spit studs out easily.

John

Bryan Raffa
12-09-2007, 09:45 PM
It will only take a few hours do do a 1000 studs

Meat-BoX
12-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I just ordered this baby so I can slow down and let you all catch up:lol: Or let you all pass me safely.:D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPEEDLINEZ-20-Inch-ATV-SS-Rear-Racing-Brake-Line_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43974QQihZ015QQite mZ250190631058QQtcZphoto
I also got the right side gasket for the new Clutch set up ive been tracking down for a few years. Man I wish I could find a NOS clutch basket to make it 100% new.
Just waiting on a set of X-Systems rear bushings for the Cal-Fab then I need to figure out what I will do with the rear shock. I have an 01 Raptor shock mounted upside down:crazy: The line to the bottle is way too short and the bracket on the frame is broke so I may go to a 300ex shock? Anyone know which year and shock is the one from the honda 300ex? It has no bottle so Im wondering if its any good for my Trike.
The Meaty One is getting down and serious about this Ice racing season. I will be there and hope my Tecate doesnt rattle apart after the 1st few laps.:naughty:
Then its off to Trike Fest as I will have the summer off I think. I hope not, but I want to do T.F. again. It was the best week ive had in years.:w00t:
Oh yea any Idea on a front tire for my Tecate? Maybe a stock type dunlop or a decent used one from here? Help a brother out. Too much coffee, to many parts coming, to damn excited. I love this place.:D
Got all goodies for the 200x, we might see her on the ice also, looking all new and sexy:drool:

brapp
12-18-2007, 07:26 PM
you can cound t anothe rperson in here. i got my r and my 350x cant wait for the ic eto get thicker.

ChrisD
12-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey guys...can we get an update on lake conditions?

GWL is frozen in NJ, but not safe yet. However, it's supposed to be 50 degrees later this week which will kill that.

I am almost ready to go. I have some final things to button up on my racer and am just waiting for a couple more parts. I have to swap out the top end on my 85R, but I have all of the parts so I am almost ready to go.

JohnR.
12-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Hey guys...can we get an update on lake conditions?

GWL is frozen in NJ, but not safe yet.

You just gave a 100% accurate one from a couple hundred miles away. :lol:

I drove up the west shore today on my way home and the lake is frozen over from the south end up to Sportsman's Marina. I didn't go an poke around at it but I guess its not as safe as it looks.

John

ChrisD
12-18-2007, 10:11 PM
I spoke with Keith today....:lol:

I'm not that good!

I'm going west this year if the lake sucks...

JohnR.
12-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Forget the lake. What about SILVER LAKE PT. III this summer? :D

I'm down. Lets make the reservations so we actually go again.

John

brapp
12-18-2007, 10:58 PM
my little farm pond is frozen enough i could go out on it but i wouldnt trust it its only liek 2 inches thick.

chris200x
12-19-2007, 12:30 AM
my little farm pond is frozen enough i could go out on it but i wouldnt trust it its only liek 2 inches thick.

Kinda like this? :rolleyes: :lock: :lock: :lock:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/101_0070.jpg

Bryan Raffa
12-27-2007, 09:05 PM
what ever we had last week died off with the rain and high winds..then again its december.. its never froze this early maybe back in the 70's but not these days .. Im thinkin another month atleast for the lakes..be ready..

Bryan Raffa
12-27-2007, 09:07 PM
chris you can see my hand pointing above the Z!! I was laughing soooooo hard....

Tri-ZNate
12-27-2007, 09:50 PM
chris you can see my hand pointing above the Z!! I was laughing soooooo hard....

Indeed you were :lol:. Billy Jr looks like a midget there :wondering

brapp
12-27-2007, 11:45 PM
hey you have to admit thse were soem sick doughnuts lol

Meat-BoX
12-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Well it looks like its really going to happen this year. Tomorrow I bring my 200X Fenders to get drilled out and all that and the Tecate to get put back together and dialed in. Got a set of X-Systems bushings for the Cal-Fab and sent the check for the Cal-Fab stickers from Harlan. Got a sweet Braided rear brake line for her and the gasket for the clutch side. I cant wait to see how she pulls with a new Clutch setup. Everything in there is NOS except the clutch basket. :beer
I hope the Barnett Clutch kit works. I seem to remember that for the Tecate you had to piece together a kit from different bikes? I hope not. All I will need to do then is a few minor things and then throw down some cash for the tires and studs.:w00t: Im almost there and it seems I might get it done before the lakes freeze. I will be looking for a good pond to do some laps on and try to get her dialed in. Went over the mouth of Oneida lake the other day. Its frozen over, but not safe im sure. 30 miles of frozen lake before the new year. It is looking good for this year. There is an event here in Feb. on the south shore. I will keep an eye out for the info. See ya in a month or so on a lake near you.:beer

JohnR.
12-28-2007, 05:37 PM
I hope you can still get the rear Cheng Shins. They get scarce when ice season gets near.

John

Meat-BoX
12-29-2007, 05:00 AM
I saw some 20x10x10's maybe 20x11x10's around the net. They are around 80 bucks each. Thats rough, but if I do em right I can mount them every winter. Other than that I have new Kenda Front Max's on both rides and may just stud them up. I dont want to but getting a front tire for the tecate is tough. That big fat front wheel.:naughty:
Maybe I can ger some used fronts for the Tecate and 86 200x from here cheap? Any help?
I have some suspension worries. Can i run the 01 Raptor shock upside down? I drilled the suspension linkage up top:confused:
Maybe my builder can tool up a vinyl shim and we can go correct. The only problem is that the canister hose is so short that I bunjie it to the swinger. Kinda shetchy. What can I do to mount a longer line from the shock to the bottle?
What length studs should I run? Do you slime the tires after stub installation?
Rides go to the builders in about 8 hours. Im up way to late, im out. See ya on a lake near you.:beer

Bryan Raffa
12-29-2007, 09:30 AM
usally you dont have to slime them for a few years ..when fresh studding..I have a set that I studded a few years ago ..still holding air.. I use stud's that go through the tire ,, they dont pull out

JohnR.
12-29-2007, 06:07 PM
In my opinion 20's are too tall for flat tracking, especially with a machine like the 200x that's already down on power compared to the 250r, Tecate, or any of the big 4 stroke quads. I ran them on my 250r one year and after that I went back to 18's. I know that the 8" wheels won't work on the Tecate but they will on the 200X and for that trike you really should just save yourself a lot of grief and get a wheel/tire combo of 18" Cheng Shins on 8" wheels. You can get the tires at www.treaddepot.com for $34 per each and the 20" Cheng Shins for 10" rims are $56 each. Unfortunately they are either low or out of stock on them right now so I don't know what to tell you. James Lucky used to have them and I'm sure there are plenty of other places to get them. Dennis Kirk has 9 of the 18's in stock for $45 each. I'd get 1" studs and when you stud the tires you should inflate them to around 35psi, stud them, and then lower the pressure down to like 10psi. That will help keep the studs from spitting out.

EDIT: If you want the name of a place local to me that usually stocks them I can get the number for you. He won't be the cheapest but he's a great guy to deal with. For the front you can just get any of the 23x8x11's will fit, even though the Tecate has a wider one from the factory. Dennis Kirk has the Dunlop KT576 for $48 and the Kenda K284 Max A/T in stock and fairly cheap. I've done all your homework for you now except come over and mount them so you have no excuse not to get it done. :D

John

Bryan Raffa
12-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Hey ChrisD.. I was tinkering today...:naughty: :)

chris200x
12-29-2007, 09:33 PM
What's engraved on the side of the cylinder Bryan?

this may seem like a dumb question.. but are studs necessary for this ride? Once you stud your tires you can't take them out correct? Will only a handfull of screws be enough per tire? I'm just wondering if I have to get a spare set of tires and rims for this ride? I'm a no0b!

Tri-ZNate
12-29-2007, 09:39 PM
What's engraved on the side of the cylinder Bryan?

this may seem like a dumb question.. but are studs necessary for this ride? Once you stud your tires you can't take them out correct? Will only a handfull of screws be enough per tire? I'm just wondering if I have to get a spare set of tires and rims for this ride? I'm a no0b!

"Phase Two"

JohnR.
12-29-2007, 10:06 PM
but are studs necessary for this ride? Once you stud your tires you can't take them out correct? Will only a handfull of screws be enough per tire? I'm just wondering if I have to get a spare set of tires and rims for this ride? I'm a no0b!

I would suggest a dedicated set of tires for studding and I would also suggest a stud in each knob on a set of the Cheng Shins I mentioned before. You can get really short studs that won't penetrate the "carcass" of the tire and those can be removed but there are two problems with going that route. One is that the studs will tend to fly out and the other is that you can't keep taking the studs out and putting them in, the holes will not hold them once you've done that a couple of times. For the $70 - $90 you'll spend for a pair of those tires for the rear its worth it since you'll get several seasons out of them as long as you don't ride them off the ice AT ALL. A quick trip around a paved parking lot or 1/4 mile up the road will ruin the studs. You can get away with the really short studs in the front tire since it doesn't see the kind of loading and spinning that the rears do and then remove the studs at the end of the winter.

John

chris200x
12-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks for that info John. I was just curious cause this will probably be my first and only time on ice. so I'm not sure it's worth the investment. but who knows.. I may love it and end up using them more often than I think.

Bryan Raffa
12-29-2007, 10:14 PM
verry nice john what He said^^^^^^^^^^

Even if we get to ride one weekend together it will be worth it!!

and am strongly leaning twards keeping my bike set up for the ice.. in a cacoon for the summer!

JohnR.
12-29-2007, 10:20 PM
That's kind of what ends up happening with mine. Unless we make a trip to the dunes in the summer, I end up just leaving it slammed and studded until the next winter. Every year I promise myself that I'm going to do some light woods riding with it but I never get around to it. I picked up a 4x4 quad a couple of weeks ago so now I have one more reason not to take the R out in the summer. :crazy: The good thing is that I've got the plow set up sitting here just waiting to go on the quad so we'll have a heavy duty plow machine to go along with Chris' 250SX.

John

Meat-BoX
12-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Nothing went right. Spent 9 hours and got the 200x fenders drilled and thats about it. Oh yea the rear 200x fender is such a blem I want to cry.:mad:
Anyways X-System sent me his Tecate Bushings and they were sweet. Then they were to big for the Cal-Fab so we turned them down and used his special tools he made for the Previous Tecate Build to get em in. Once in we were like Oh Oh looks to thick wont fit in there. Sure was. Then we dremeled and sanded until the swinger fit and went to bolt it in and the bushings must of shrunk up because now the swing Arm bolt wont fit at all. Went out and gotr a $16 bit that was to small but tried to maker it happen. It didnt, so now hes ordering a special 19/32" drill to bore out the bushings for the swinger. Heck I was expecting to ride that sucker tomorrow for a sec before we Tear apart the Clutch side. Oh yea, I noticed a little antifreeze around the head also which freaked me out as it only had 2 tanks of gas run through her in the last 3 years. If so Sprock Cool Head here I come. It was a disaster, but thats how things always happen to me. Thats why this project is still going on from 1996. I just have the worst luck. Anyways over the next 2 weeks we will conquer this Biotch and I will be out on the lakes with you guys. I guess no tires untill im back at work on Jan 14th. John, thx for the info, I will be on that. I dont even care anymore I just want to ride. Plastic will be getting used alot over the next month.:beer

ChrisD
12-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Bryan Raffa Hey ChrisD.. I was tinkering today...

Danm Raffa...are you calling me out? Bring it on sukka!!!:naughty: I actually just finished one R and will be starting on the other tomorrow. My 85R is getting my old race motor installed this weekend.

I agree with John and Bryan....just spend the $150 and get a good set of tires and studs. It's pretty cheap by today's standards.... that's only 2 tanks of gas in either one of my cars these days. If you half way do it (stupid automatic edit), you will not compete and will be pissed. Traction is the most important thing you need on the ice. The 3 wheeler does need to slide though, so don't get 20's. They're great for drag racing, but have WAY too much traction for ice racing.

keep your fingers crossed...fuk'n warm weather...come on get cold and let's have some fun!!!

Bryan Raffa
12-29-2007, 11:53 PM
sorry to hear that ..so you cant get the cal fab on?

Meat-BoX
12-30-2007, 12:00 AM
We finally got it in place after hours of sanding and turning down the bushings. Then the swingarm bolt wouldnt fit through. Did before we pressed em in. I will be spending the money on new tires and studs. I figure once I get em, I will have them for several winters to come. I just get jelous that alot of you guys build sick machines in months and it takes me years. But im still building.:D
Oh yea and Maier sux balls. Im really upset at the really bad quality. I figure because its my everyday rider it doesnt matter to much. But im still mad because its full of divits and waves. :eek:

Bryan Raffa
12-30-2007, 09:05 AM
oh great you got it on.. probley full of finger print's:lol: You will be happy with new tires,, they will last years ,if kept only for the ice. Moose sells tire wraps to keep your studs sharp...been looking at them..:D You got time keep pluging away

ChrisD
12-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Hey Bryan....

I've got my powerplant ready to go... I rejetted it, advanced the timing and did some clutch work. She should be ready to rip.

ChrisD
12-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Oh...and the "scars' on the stator cover are from a Banshee that tried to tangle with the R......it doesn't like Yamahas:twisted: :twisted:

Bryan Raffa
12-30-2007, 06:11 PM
verry nice!:naughty: looks killer.. dont hurt me:lol:

Bryan Raffa
01-03-2008, 10:51 AM
yo guys this is exactly what we need!! woke up this morning to see some verry thin ice.. lake like glass and COLD..this is out the window from where im sitting.. the dark color spots is ice,, and the fog is rollin off the middle of the lake as i speak!! loseing Heat!!!!!!

I was on honeoye lake yesterday and the north end is Froze solid..but still dont trust that yet.. I can feel it comeing..:beer :w00t:

how cool would it be to set a web cam in my window for everyone to watch us..:D

Bryan Raffa
01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Oh...and the "scars' on the stator cover are from a Banshee that tried to tangle with the R......it doesn't like Yamahas:twisted: :twisted:

chris..seriously.. that thing looks like it will chew me a new butt hole..Im Not worthy..:beer :drool: :drool: :drool:

Meat-BoX
01-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Im starting to stress. I see frozen lakes and freezing temps and my Trike is all apart and looks to be staying that way.:(
Raffa, a sweet cam out the window for the winter while were all ripping up the lake in circles would be so cool. Along with some helmet cam footage.:beer
I figure if my ride isnt ready in 2 weeks im screwed. I dont want to show up half assed against what some of you guys are running. I only want to get lapped only a few times.:w00t:

Bryan Raffa
01-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Im starting to stress. I see frozen lakes and freezing temps and my Trike is all apart and looks to be staying that way.:(
Raffa, a sweet cam out the window for the winter while were all ripping up the lake in circles would be so cool. Along with some helmet cam footage.:beer
I figure if my ride isnt ready in 2 weeks im screwed. I dont want to show up half assed against what some of you guys are running. I only want to get lapped only a few times.:w00t:

DONT STRESS.. You got time gary!! Keep plugin away,, Your soooo close to finnishing.....And that will feel GOOD!

brapp
01-03-2008, 01:54 PM
would i need suspension or woudl i be able to throw diffrent fender s on my drag r sinc eit it now strutted? or woudl i be better tryign to splam my other 85 r or owudl it be better to finish the atc 450r and drop that

Bryan Raffa
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
UGHHH 450R dude... slam it!

ChrisD
01-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Bryan Raffa UGHHH 450R dude... slam it!

I agree. You would have one sick bike. The quads rip, and the threewheeler would be insane.

chris..seriously.. that thing looks like it will chew me a new butt hole..Im Not worthy..

Ah, come on, I'm just trash talking to create suspense. It's more show than go....more bling than zing....etc. I can't wait to ride it again.

JohnR.
01-06-2008, 06:05 PM
It looked promising for a couple of days but it looks like the rain and approaching warm weather has ended any hope for ice racing anytime soon. Hopefully we'll get some cold weather and we can get at least a few weeks of ice this winter.

John

JohnR.
01-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Bringing this back from the dead. It's getting cold again and I'm itchin' to ride the ice. Just wanted to throw this link out there in regards to the Winter Carnival that will be Presidents Weekend:

http://www.villageofgreenwoodlake.org/holidays.html

There will be sanctioned ice races that Sunday (no trikes), here's a quote from a flier I got:

TRI-STATE MC LTD and BREEZY POINT
Present Motorcycle & Quad Ice Racing on Greenwood Lake
NEW YORK STATE ICE RACING SERIES

February 17, 2008 @ Breezy Point Winter Carnival

Pits located @ the south end of Windermere Ave. in Greenwood Lake NY 10925

Spectators-$10.00 donation (under 12 free) Entry- $40.00 per class, side hacks $50.00 per team.

GATES OPEN @ 9:30 AM, practice @ 11:00AM, Heat Races @ 12:15PM

Trophy presentation to follow @ Breezy Point
FOR INFORMATION CALL: 845-566-4956 or 845-477-8100
REQUIREMENTS: 3 VEHICLES MAKE UP A CLASS. ALL MOTORCYCLES MUST HAVE SUBSTANTIAL FENDERS THAT COVER 90 DEGREES OF THE FRONT AND REAR WHEELS. ALL BIKES, Quads & HACKS MUST HAVE TETHERED KILL SWITCHES. ALL MUST HAVE 3 TOTALLY VISIBLE 10”X12” NUMBER PLATES WITH BLACK NUMBERS. ALL MUST BE AMA MEMBERS. SIGN UP AVAILABLE ON RACE DAY.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOVICE MOTORCYCLE CLASS

THIS CLASS IS FOR REGULATION ICE BIKES (NOT SPORTSMAN). ALL ENGINE SIZES TO BE COMBINED.

Get someone started at ice racing. Lend him/her your bike.

Weekly winners move up to amateur. No Sandbaggers.

With a little luck and some more of this cold weather the lake will be rideable the first weekend in February, some of it might even be safe this upcoming weekend. :beer

John

ChrisD
01-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Hi John.

I just got out of the basement abyss. I've got the 85 together with the FTZ motor and hope to run it tomorrow. The 86 is together but have a couple minor things to finish up. I ordered the parts and should have them this week, but won't prevent me from running the bike. I am EAGERLY waiting for further information. Please shoot me an email when you hear the good news.

:beer

dammit Raffa.....that is sick. I used to see a woman in the city as I left work. Her tits sat on her knees as she sat on a wall, but your avatar is nasty!!!

250rfan
01-21-2008, 07:24 AM
I agree. You would have one sick bike. The quads rip, and the threewheeler would be insane.

Ah, come on, I'm just trash talking to create suspense. It's more show than go....more bling than zing....etc. I can't wait to ride it again.

Damn,,,,,,i wish i lived beside you guys :( , i'd love to do ice racing, :Bounce ,,,if i ever get the opportunity to do it, it would be on the 450.

Would need someone to take her for a spin, while am away woking for 1/2 the year, shame to let her sit idle :rolleyes:

JohnR.
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
The cold last night seemed to do the lake some good. The local weather shows tomorrow the only day this week that it will get above freezing for a high temp. :w00t: I've got to get out to the shed and do my axle bearings before I can hit the ice. I've spent whatever time I could for the last 3 weeks getting the Arctic Cat ready for plowing and fooling around with the 70's that I have neglected the R. I'll dig into it tomorrow.

John

JohnR.
01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Damn,,,,,,i wish i lived beside you guys :( , i'd love to do ice racing, :Bounce

Hop on a plane. I'll pick you up at the airport. :naughty:

John

ChrisD
01-21-2008, 05:57 PM
SWEET!!

Hey John, you should see his R's, especially his 450. He built an ATC450R and did it the right way! It looks like you would buy it from Honda. Awsome!

JohnR. Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rfan
Damn,,,,,,i wish i lived beside you guys , i'd love to do ice racing,

Hop on a plane. I'll pick you up at the airport.

John

Actually, that's not a bad idea. The dollar is in the toilet vs the pound so it must be pretty cheap to get here.

JohnR.
01-21-2008, 08:45 PM
I think there's even some flights into Stewart in Newburgh, that'd be pretty damn convenient for me.

John

250rfan
01-22-2008, 02:22 AM
SWEET!!

Hey John, you should see his R's, especially his 450. He built an ATC450R and did it the right way! It looks like you would buy it from Honda. Awsome!

Actually, that's not a bad idea. The dollar is in the toilet vs the pound so it must be pretty cheap to get here.

Hey Chris, Howz things?

Firstly John, thank you very much for the kind offer, allthough the dollar is weak, a flight from Aberden to JFK would be around $700.00 ( per person ), not that bad actually.

However, as i work away from home for 6-7 months of the year, if i go on holiday the family has to come with, so are there many mall's near the lake :lol: :lol: .

I'll leave her shopping while myself and Drew ( my son ) rip it up. Also it's freezing in Aberdeen at the moment, if i told her were going on holiday, she'll be expecting sun, if i tell her were going ice racing on a "quad "( thats what she calls my trikes :rolleyes: ) , i'll probably waken up in hospital :lol: :lol:.

Thanks alot guys,

I'll hopefully see some pics, if i ever get the chance to come over i'll know who to ask. :beer :beer

ChrisD
01-22-2008, 06:26 AM
if i go on holiday the family has to come with, so are there many mall's near the lake .

That is how I get my wife to go up to the lake. Here is your answer...

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7

220 top brand outlets. It is an amazing site and an easy sale on the wife :w00t:

Bryan Raffa
01-22-2008, 09:27 AM
That is how I get my wife to go up to the lake. Here is your answer...

220 top brand outlets. It is an amazing site and an easy sale on the wife :w00t:

Ha Ha .. would you call that a Ice Racing trick? or just plain smart! :lol: :lol:

JohnR.
01-22-2008, 05:34 PM

I knew that was coming as soon as I read 250rfan's post about shopping!:lol:

My wife has family that come over from Ireland once every year or so mainly to go shopping there and in Manhattan. NYC is only 50 minutes away. :beer

John

ChrisD
01-22-2008, 11:17 PM
how did this danm topic get to shopping anyway...just kidding. It's a great way to convince the wife to let me race, but boy is it an expensive weekend and I'm not talking the VP fuel.

Anyway, I spoke with Keith today and he said that the wind broke up all of the ice in NJ. Hopefully we can at least get to Tuscanos house.

Mr. Raffa....any luck out your way? Any ice to speak of? I feel like I'm dressed for the party but can't get a ride to get there.

Bryan Raffa
01-22-2008, 11:46 PM
pic out my window today
birds are keeping a few spots open and it was open in the middle yesterday wich is solid now..I was on the shore line ice today with the zinger but did not go out farther than the width of the bike.. staying cold and a light snow tonight will insulate it nice..now that its froze over the wind cant get at it.. lets hope it dont warm up..;)

Meat-BoX
01-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Woo hoo its cold as heck up here finally. Only a few hours up the thruway.
Um, any of you guys ever thing of going North? Its colder up here and theres a ton of snow. Oneida lake is about 10' deep in most bays as its only 35' at its deepest I think. Anyway the wind blew out the ice a few weeks ago but it was frozen over and Im sure the bays didnt thaw. There is an event in Feb, Of course. All the events are in Feb.:eek: Any weekend will be an event for us.
If anyone would like to come North I will do the Recon and im sure we could be racing in a few weeks for sure. Heck, theve been ice fishing.:eek:
Not me though, two times under the ice is enough for me. Scary shiot there.:eek:

JohnR.
01-23-2008, 04:31 PM
I have plenty of vacation time from work so I can come up whenever.

John

JohnR.
01-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm going to try to swing by the lake on my way home tomorrow, poke at it, and see how its looking. I was busy doing the axle bearings in my R tonight. If I have time tomorrow I'm going to either give it a quick detailing or start doing the axle bearings on the 4x4, that should be interesting since I never fooled with something like that before.

John

Bryan Raffa
01-24-2008, 10:22 PM
I was out on the lake tonight with the 350x only 8' from shore...I got the Itch bad now.......

JohnR.
01-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah, me too, I'm jonesing for a rip down the lake. I'm doing my best to get my R, the 4x4 for plowing, my daughter's 70, and my 70 with a 97cc swap done by next weekend. Sadly, I'm most excited about getting the swapped 70 done.

John

ChrisD
01-24-2008, 11:42 PM
All I can say is that we better get out there quick other wise my bike will start being too nice to ride again. I have been working on it non stop and broke down and bought all of the stupid stuff people ignore. If I don't ride it this winter, I probably won't again. I'm thinking bubble wrap and peanuts are in its future.

danmit! let's go already!!

Hey John, have you talked to Mike lately? I left him a message, but haven't heard from him.

JohnR.
01-24-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm sending over a PM Chris.

I'm going to give mine a quick spray with the Honda spray wax and buff the polished aluminum quick, that's it. I'm not going to hit the woods with it but I also don't want to stress over it's well being all the time.

John

thefox
01-24-2008, 11:48 PM
I was out on the lake tonight with the 350x only 8' from shore...I got the Itch bad now.......

I see how it is, take your zinger out 2 feet, then take someone elses X out 8 feet. :eek:

ChrisD
01-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Bryan. Keep us tuned in. If eastern NY doesn't freeze, we coming west!!!

Bryan Raffa
01-25-2008, 12:06 AM
I see how it is, take your zinger out 2 feet, then take someone elses X out 8 feet. :eek:

:lol: :lol: it's been a few days..its thicker:eek:

Hahah Im heading south...Im takeing my tires with me to PA tomorrow...if there's ice Im rideing.. just wanted to rub it in a little...:lol: :naughty:

riverrat
01-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Well yesterday Greenwood Lake finally froze over. IT is probably only an inch thick. I am hoping for some snow, and that would add to it and freeze, but the weather is not looking promising.

BTW just purchased a brand new 07 4x4 360 prarie with a plow to make the race track. If it does freeze my 250R won't be ready as money and time did not allow me to work on it, but my 200x works, and the 110 works. I will keep everyone posted.

Meat-BoX
01-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Well I went to Kawasaki yesterday to get my part and got talking with a customer there. The've been racing on Panther Lake for a few weeks now. Its about 30 minutes north of Syracuse. I will be getting up there soon and digging for info, after they dig out. Got about 6' of snow in the last few days. :eek: I guess they had a big weekend there last weekend and I missed it.
All I need now is a new chain and some tires:beer And the Trike set up for flat trackin. Should be ready in a week or two.

Meat-BoX
01-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Ok so I got it all together, and the adjustable dogbone is actually longer than the 84-85 DogBone. I can get it about an inch shorter than stock at its lowest setting. I feel this is not low enough, and with 20" tires im going to be at a disadvantage. Has anyone ever cut a section out of a stock dogbone and welded it back together? Thats been running through my head. Also, I was thinking how the Trike should be lowered. If I can only lower it an inch in the rear, do I drop the Font end an inch also. I need to get lower if I want to be competitive, but I feel the trike has to be sitting right or it may handle weird. Anyway it will be good to be out and having fun on the Purple and Green machine.:beer

Bryan Raffa
01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
slide the fork tubes up in the tripples +2..Make one a inch longer that the one you got on the lowest setting.. even if you dont ride it at least you got it done and you can update your build thred!!:beer ;)

JohnR.
01-25-2008, 06:55 PM
BTW just purchased a brand new 07 4x4 360 prarie with a plow to make the race track.

Excellent! We'll have at least the two of our 4x4's out there plowing then. Plus, Chris will probably have his ATC 250SX with the plow on it for cleanup duty.

I poked around the lake today down by Castle Tavern, it looks good and their parking lot is actually cleared of all the boats and other junk that used to clutter it up. Now that the whole lake has a layer on it the wind won't wreck the ice so easily. Personally, I'm hoping for no snow, it just makes more work when its time to make a track. I can remember a couple of years where we had no snow on it (at least for a couple of weekends) and its soooooo much fun to blaze the whole thing with no snow patches to worry about. If the weather report holds true for the week we might be able to get out there next weekend.

John

riverrat
01-25-2008, 07:15 PM
What the snow does when there is only just a little ice is add to the thickness. It may snow 6 inches, and that weighs down the ice, and the water seeps up through the cracks. That shrinks the snow down to like 2 inches, and then freezes over night leaving nothing to plow, and a good 4 inches.

When I ice fish, we can tell how much is snow ice, and how much is black ice. The black ice is much stronger, but the snow ice will get the thickness up sooner.
I am over in Forest Knolls. See you out there as soon as its good.

ChrisD
01-25-2008, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE]

Excellent! We'll have at least the two of our 4x4's out there plowing then. Plus, Chris will probably have his ATC 250SX with the plow on it for cleanup duty.[/QUOTE

Hey man! Don't pick on the 250SX. It has plowed out a number of tracks for us. Geesh...no love for the utility trike. :lol: You just wait. I'm going to pipe that sucker and we'll challenge the 4x4. Actually that saves me from having to bring it. I'm glad you guys have bikes to plow it out.

Oh and I do agree. You do not want any snow if possible. It just creates a problem when you want to plow out a track, especially when it warms and cools. You get impossible spots to plow and end up with a rough track, not to mention snowbanks that turn to a rock of ice. John and I both have broken bones to prove that sucks.

I will check with Keith later in the week and let you know if I'm coming up.

JohnR.
01-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah, broken bones suck. I've battled hard patches of snow while plowing with both Chris' 250SX and my buddies 4x4. I'll always take no snow over snow. Either way, it doesn't look like snow is gonna be an issue this week.

John

riverrat
01-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Well I was only hoping for snow because I do not think it will freeze enough with just ice, and we won't be able to ride. There are still open spots right now. Of course I prefer just ice as well.

JohnR.
01-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Don't sweat it, it'll be fine. There's about an inch and a half in front of Castle right now and I couldn't see any open spots on the way home this afternoon. If there's 4 or 5 inches of black ice its more than enough for ice racing. The forecast for this week doesn't look good right now (highs in the mid 30's and low 40's) but at least its going to be below freezing every night.

Keep your fingers crossed everyone.

John

Meat-BoX
01-28-2008, 12:45 AM
All IO need now is a 61"-62" chain and an 300EX rear shock. Then Tires and studs.:w00t: Project Tecate is just about done.:beer
Pics comin soon

Bryan Raffa
01-28-2008, 09:53 AM
HEY.. I got home from PA yesterday and my neighbor was out ice fishin..I got 4" at my house ...so the north end has to be 2X that!!! Git it Raggg...

JohnR.
01-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Cool. That's PLENTY of ice to ride on. Is this on Conesus Lake, Bryan? I checked on line and it looks like you're a little north and east of Buffalo, right? I'm just trying to get a handle on how you are. Can you post your zip code or PM it to me if you'd prefer?

John

Bryan Raffa
01-28-2008, 06:09 PM
yep.. conesus lake 14435...were gonna get some rain in the next day..that should add a few inches..and be like glass

Meat-BoX
01-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Ok, The Tecate is done.:w00t: Finally
I ordered a sweet Sidewinder Chain for her today and am looking for a 300EX rear shock, which I hope to have one within 1-2 weeks.
Now its time to get serious about tires.
Heres what Im thinking
For the Front, because its allready on the Trike. A Kenda Front Max. Its a great tire and pretty hard. Should hold Studs
Im gonna buy another here http://www.bikebandit.com/product/3656
Because I paid over $70 for the one on her now.
For the rear, im going with Cheng Shin C826 20-11-10 these I need to look for more closely as they are over $70 each. I need to find a deal. Then I need to find the Cold Cutter studs if they are good. I should be riding her this weekend and probably have her on the ice in 2 weeks.
Pics soon to come.:D

Bryan Raffa
01-28-2008, 11:02 PM
hey chaplin has them for 90 a set.. what your bolt pattern.. I seen these..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Cheng-Shin-Ice-Racing-Tires-with-Kold-Kutter-screws_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43983QQihZ017QQi temZ270205804545QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

JohnR.
01-28-2008, 11:21 PM
You can get the 20x11x10 from www.treaddepot.com for $54 each. Personally, I'd go with a set of Fast Trekker 18x11x10 for $50 each from them. I can't stress enough how much that extra height of the 20" will affect the stability. Also, I know that the 18's rub the rear fenders on my 1986 Tecate with my stock length swingarm but I don't know about the earlier models. I would suggest the gold screws as they have a thicker shank that the others that I have used. I've used a front max for a front tire on the ice with pretty good results. Whichever tires you choose to use, make sure to inflate them to around 35psi, then put the studs in, then air them down to around 10psi. That will kind of clamp the studs in place, I've hardly lost any studs since going to that method.

John

Meat-BoX
01-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Damn, I have 4/156 mm Patten
I run Fast Trekkers in the dirt and love them. If they were as good as Cheng Shins I would run em.

I figured with the pattern, It would get sideways in the corners. I dont mind but I want to grip and go. Which should I buy. Im buyin this week. I would love 18's 4 shure.

Meat-BoX
01-29-2008, 11:17 AM
18"-11-10 Fast Trekkers? or 20-11-10 Cheng Shins? Which should I run. Gonna buy em this week but want the best tire for me that will last years and be great on the ice. I would love an 18 but dont want to sacrifice traction. If the Trekkers are good for setting up for the ice, then good. If they are no where near the Cheng Shins plz let me know.
18's:drool:
20's:wondering
22's:eek:
Kold Kutter Studs What length and Dia. should I go with? Man im on a tear to get racing and the Plastic in my pocket wants out. Damn for 250 of them they are expensive. for 1000 studs man o man. Someone point me to the right spot so I can buy with confidence.
Thx
I just want to ride
with u guys :-)

JohnR.
01-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Any of them will last a long time as long as you NEVER, EVER ride on anything but ice. I push mine to the lake and even that isn't really good for the studs. Either one will provide you with plenty of traction if you stud them properly. 1000 studs should be sufficient to do all three tires. Get 1", you want them to penetrate the carcass of the tire. The Cheng Shins are probably the harder compound of the two and will hold the studs a little better but the Trekkers aren't bad either.

John

ChrisD
01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
my advice is that you will want as much of the rubber to touch the ice as possible. Fast Trekkers are cool as... tires, but not good for the ice. There is too much missed contact patch. ie there is too much "space" between the knobs. You will want something that you can put studs in that will be constantly in contact with the ice. It is not dirt. You want the tires in constant contact with the ice. Just my 2 cents. 18 inch tires are best for a threewheeler.

JohnR.
01-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I agree with everything you said but would you take a 20" Cheng Shin over an 18" Trekker with lots of studs in it?

John

ChrisD
01-29-2008, 10:12 PM
agreed. the 20" cheng shin is TOO MUCH. I forgot that the tire choices are limited for the Tecate rim.

Hey John, please let me know how the lake looks. I will call Keith on Thursday. even if NJ is safe, I am there. I spoke with Tom today and he is in too. I left a message for Mike,m but haven't heard back yet.

JohnR.
01-29-2008, 10:40 PM
We got some rain and the forecast for the week isn't looking good. NJ will probably still be safe but it'll be a slushfest.

John

Bryan Raffa
01-29-2008, 10:56 PM
ice is holding here. we missed the rain today and only sprinkled..the snow on the ice has melted and there is water on the ice..but its gonna get cold..and that should add to the ice.. its 50 here now...whats up with that?
I gotta call ronnie and tell him to stop sending that heat!!!:lol:

WED

33°F 0°C
14°F -10°C
thurs
29°F -1°C
24°F -4°C
fri
31°F 0°C
27°F -2°C
sat
31°F 0°C
25°F -3°C
sun
30°F -1°C
21°F -6°C
mon
32°F 0°C
28°F -2°C

Meat-BoX
01-30-2008, 03:59 AM
Well I won a 2002 Honda 300EX rear shock on E-Bay tonight so im in there bottle free. I guess I will go with the Fast Trekkers if I can get them in 18. A good tire and worth checking out for this winter.
On another note. The Trike Hauler picked up a passenger tonight. Right in my Grill. Poor little Button Buck totaled out the whole front end of my Truck. Bounced him into some guys driveway and I pulled in to see what was up. It was bleating but after looking at my truck I knew he was done. I checked him out and he had two broken back legs. After coming up with a game plan I picked him up and put him in the truck. He was bleating and it was sad. I got him home, went to get my pistol and heard all this noise. He must of heard me say I had to put him down so he tried to bounce. Two busted legs, he didnt get far and was in pain. I popped him in the head. And then called 911 for a police report. Man my truck is messed up. But as im in Ice Racer mode, Trikes come 1st, then the truck:D
Got some light rain and then high winds along with 20-30 degree weather for the next few days.:w00t:
Raffa, we need to get to mikes and get him going. Hopefully hew will let my girl ride the Scrambler:beer I may put her on the 200x but dont want to buy a new clutch in the spring:D

Bryan Raffa
01-30-2008, 08:19 AM
WOW...50 degrees last night at 11pm...60mph winds and a snow when I woke up...this weather is screwing with my mind....:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
ice is snow coverd with wet spots..got lucky here..

mikey said he was going up today to clean the barn out..

that sucks about your truck.. cut that puppy up and save the good meat! venison on the grill wile on the ice...:naughty:

the best place for her to practice her clutch work is on the ice where it's flat! Its alot more forgiveing than on dirt.. I say let her ride it!;)

good deal on the shock!:D

riverrat
01-30-2008, 09:15 PM
There was ice fisherman out in front of chapel island the other day, but the rain did a number on the ice. Some spots opened up in front of where I live. I was told the ice in the North West arm was 2-3 inches thick, and hard to get out on today by the ice fisherman. More rain is predicted for this week. Tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be cold.

The forcast is not looking good either:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=NYZ067

ChrisD
01-30-2008, 10:09 PM
...stupid 2 strokes causing global warming.

Bryan Raffa
01-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Ill be home all weekend icefishing, RIDEING on the ice, eating,watching football..:beer :beer :w00t: :welcome:

JohnR.
01-31-2008, 08:29 PM
I HATE YOU!!!:lol:

Just kidding with you Bryan, I've got to work on Saturday (normal day for me) and we've got an overtime job on Sunday which is usually my day off. Plus the lake here is pretty banged up now and will be getting worse over the next few days. :cry: On a good note, I'll be home in time for the Superbowl (not that I'm a football fan) and since I have off Mondays I'll drink plenty of beer.

John

Bryan Raffa
01-31-2008, 08:39 PM
thats sucks john I'll get some PIC's!!;) ;) ;) ;)

ChrisD
01-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Presidents day weekend, I say we have a group ride at Raffa's house!!! Do some racing, riding, fishing, grillin' and chillin'!!!

Bryan Raffa
01-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Prez day huh that the 19th... lets do it sooner!!!!:D hate to give the Ice Too mutch time too MELT..:lol:

JohnR.
01-31-2008, 09:00 PM
I might be able to do it that weekend, I checked the zip Bryan gave me and its about 270 miles from here. I'm pretty much ready to go, I've got the 250R all back together except for the stator cover, the PVL looked pretty crusty so I cleaned it really well but I want to make sure it starts before I put it back on. I've got about 2 gallons of C-16 that I need to mix up so I can start it. I'll do that this week. I've also got the 4x4 99% squared away. It's at the point that I can plow with it and ride it but I want to do the front ball joints before I really kill it in the woods. In any case, PM me with your game plan would be if Bryan allows us to come up.

John

ChrisD
01-31-2008, 09:27 PM
325 miles from me, so I will have to hammer down to get there in reasonable time. I'm glad I have a V8 now. I called Mike a couple times now, but haven't received a response. I will keep trying.

JohnR.
01-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Sounds good. I just got off the phone with Ronnie's ATV, I ordered the ball joints, shock mounts, and front wheel bearing for the 4x4 so that thing should be tip top by next weekend. If I don't need to bring it Bryan, just let me know and I'll leave it at home. It's much easier to leave the trailer at home.

John

Bryan Raffa
01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a polaris here with a plow.. to use john no need to haul that all the way up.. I just went out in my PJ's and checked the ice with my own eyes.. the first hole is about 20 feet out at 5" the second is is about 75 yrs out .. way over the drop off ..tit bit scary drillin out that far. at night but it's a solid 4" same as last weekend so I didnt lose any ice over that warm spell.. the ice is hard and flat, and somewhat smooth.. I can fit one in a bed and two on the couch,,next too the fireplace..also a air mattress queen size... no need for motel money.. and the olady cooks a mean breakfast.. just ask 200xman;) :D

the ol 86 clone is gonna get a hone and new set of rings this weekend and tires switched over ..and need to get some race gas for the black bike also

hows that for current ice conditions..

hey meat box .. ya gonna be ready by prez weekend??

we wanna do this on the 16th,17th or the 23rd,24th..I say sooner the better:beer

JohnR.
02-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Awesome. I think that the weekend of the 16th would be better for Chris since he's got a 3 day weekend that weekend. I've got Sunday and Monday as my regular days off so I'll burn up a day for Saturday no matter what but I've got 12 days "in the bank" right now plus I'll be getting a floating day for that Monday and another 2 weeks on May 1st. :D I'll just need to figure out if I'm heading up Saturday Morning or Friday night. Are we staying over Sunday night and coming home Monday or leaving Sunday night? If I could come up Saturday A.M. (or even Friday night) and leave sometime on Monday that'd be ideal. Daytona is on Sunday night and I can't miss that.

John

JohnR.
02-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Arrrrgghhh! I can't do it that weekend. It's my wife's birthday on Saturday and I really can't bail out on that. I can do the next weekend though. Hopefully that would be do-able for Chris too.

John

Bryan Raffa
02-01-2008, 11:14 PM
23rd -24th sounds good .. hope the ice stays..maybe the long island boys will want to play..:idea:

JohnR.
02-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Cool. Hopefully Chris can make it up then too. I'll see what he says and go from there. My wife is really laid back and wouldn't give me a hard time or a guilt trip about going on her b-day but she deserves better than that and I couldn't do that to her.

John

Bryan Raffa
02-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Cool. Hopefully Chris can make it up then too. I'll see what he says and go from there. My wife is really laid back and wouldn't give me a hard time or a guilt trip about going on her b-day but she deserves better than that and I couldn't do that to her.

John

I wouldnt even try that one:lol: dog house for shure....:eek:
hopefully meatbox will have a chain and tires by then

tri-Z ripper
02-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I may be able to have the tri-z ready for then or is anybody else running a 4 stroke?

ChrisD
02-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Hello Gents

I can not make it on the weekend of the 24th. I have to be in Richmond VA, on Sunday afternoon and Monday. However, I won't hold up a ride for everyone else. I can do it Presidents Day weekend. If that won't work for anyone else, I will come up to GWL and we can get the guys together for winter carnival even though we won't be able to ride....most likely at this rate.

If Presidents Day will work for some guys, I would love to come up to Raffa's and ride. It's like a 4 to 5 hour ride for me. I am SOOOOO danm bored and dying to ride my R. Let me know what you guys think.

Bryan Raffa
02-02-2008, 07:40 PM
what ever works out for the majority of people...when is the carnaval down there again? what about sooner?

JohnR.
02-02-2008, 08:54 PM
If I miss it, I miss it. It won't be the end of the world for me.

John

eddie pettengil
02-02-2008, 11:42 PM
I Have two tracks in south east NH, a 1/10 mile and a 1/8 mile built for close combat racing. Really got to force the issue to get a pass in and many of those passes are on the outside groove. Really fun stuff, wish you guys could come up and tear it up with us. This will be our 4th weekend and can maybe get to the 2nd weekend in March. Hotels in Dover NH, 25 minutes from the track are only $ 70.00 a night. You could head up here Friday night and leave on Sunday and have 2 great days of Racing. Heated garage right at the track for repairs or to hang out and a grill full of food for lunch and dinner on me. I think we could possibly get 20 + out there and do heats and features..

Bryan Raffa
02-03-2008, 12:30 PM
the slush froze over night ..wait till you see this vid I got..your gonna be SO Jealous.. like glass.....:D

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/bryanraffa/th_2008_0404supersunday0011.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/bryanraffa/?action=view&current=2008_0404supersunday0011.flv)

the great gazoo
02-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Boy does that look like some fun!! Wow Raffa, you're tearing it up, man:beer :beer

JohnR.
02-03-2008, 05:08 PM
If you tried that here right now you'd get about 5 feet and then go swimming. :lol:

I'm guessing you all are doing the thing at Bryan's on President's Weekend? It makes the most sense since a lot of people have off that Monday. I'm supposed to go on a ride in the Monticello area next Sunday so that will cure some of my fever to go for a ride even though it'll be on the 4x4. I'm not gonna promise anything but there's a chance that I'll bolt outta here Sunday morning or Saturday night of President's Weekend and head up. If Chris isn't going to make it the week after, then I probably won't head up there anyways so don't anyone adjust their plans for me.

John

tri-Z ripper
02-03-2008, 06:44 PM
that is awsome just got back for a ride on the 200X and i did go swimming went to go ripping over what looked like ice and almost supermaned instead i just got really wet! man im jealous of that ice ripping you have there NH is only 2 1/2 hours away from here and plan on making it up there at least a couple times but i would love to come down to grenwood spent alot of time on that lake as a kid! keep us updated on the date raffa! ps never heard back from you about those parts!

Bryan Raffa
02-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Hello Gents

I can not make it on the weekend of the 24th. I have to be in Richmond VA, on Sunday afternoon and Monday. However, I won't hold up a ride for everyone else. I can do it Presidents Day weekend. If that won't work for anyone else, I will come up to GWL and we can get the guys together for winter carnival even though we won't be able to ride....most likely at this rate.

If Presidents Day will work for some guys, I would love to come up to Raffa's and ride. It's like a 4 to 5 hour ride for me. I am SOOOOO danm bored and dying to ride my R. Let me know what you guys think.

I would take that presidents weekend is the 16th-17th..lets do this:naughty:

Is there a date yet for greenwood carnaval??

Meat-BoX
02-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Looks like the lakes frozen good at Raffas. Hey Raffa, if you share some of that corn you like so much, we could probably have a fish fry after the races. Pan fish love corn almost as much as you.:w00t:
Times getting close. My builder wants to try the Dogbone idea I had. We are gonna cut up a stock one and reweld it. It will be an inch or two shorter. Need to check that out to see whats possible. Should drop the rear way down.:beer
If I can get 18"s and its a lowrider I will be unbeatable against any 5-10 year olds and any machine under 200cc's:D
Got jipped on the rear shock. Dude posted it 2 times so Im trying to win one within the next hour. I think I will be ready for any event within the next 2 weeks. Might have to Retemp you all into helping me stud my tires as its gonna be close.:p Oh and someone might have to hold down my choke as it crapped out and wont work:crazy: Either that or I just go totally insane with the plastic and get a Mikuni VM 36 mm. I remember seeing them new for $110 and heard they were perfect for my Trike on here

Bryan Raffa
02-04-2008, 08:18 PM
just bring your tires and studs I can do them here.. what carb you got? I have a few choke assembleys.. here..

JohnR.
02-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I would take that presidents weekend is the 16th-17th..lets do this:naughty:

Is there a date yet for greenwood carnaval??

Funny, I replied to this in the afternoon today but the reply isn't here. :confused:

Anyway, presidents weekend is the 16th-17th, and for many people (myself included) that Monday is a holiday. Greenwood Lake's Winter Carnival is that same weekend but I don't see much hope for there being rideable ice here by then.

If people plan on staying over Sunday night and coming home on Monday (i.e. a full day of riding Sunday and fish fry on Sunday night) then I might take a ride up early Sunday morning for the event. If not, then I'm definitely gonna have to sit this one out.

John

Bryan Raffa
02-04-2008, 10:34 PM
sound good john..even if no one show's Ill ride all day sunday with ya!!

so it's not lookin good for the carnaval huh..:(

lets plan on My house the 16th-17th
there calling for a high 48! tomorrow but the ice wont go anywhere...check out the lows at night!!!:w00t: it's gonna be like glass..the one good thing is theres no snow to hold the moisture...
TUE

48°F 8°C
36°F 2°C WED

37°F 2°C
19°F -7°C THU

25°F -3°C
22°F -5°C FRI

31°F 0°C
27°F -2°C SAT

30°F -1°C
22°F -5°C SUN

24°F -4°C
23°F -5°C

JohnR.
02-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah, much better than it is here. We're looking at low 50's the next two days, then low 40's for a three, and then finally its going to get cold on Sunday but only for a day or two before its back over freezing every day. I'll just keep an eye on here to see when you guys are doing the cooking and stuff, I'll plan my trip accordingly.

John

Bryan Raffa
02-04-2008, 10:56 PM
dont worrie about food john..the olady is a great cook.. I check the ice everyday!! I got a some venison in the freezer also, 30' and the grill's on the ice..:naughty:

I forgot I got a fold out bed on the porch also, that i can bring in..

I can fit 7-8 before I have to rezort to the floor..:beer

ChrisD
02-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Alright guys, I got the OK from the boss. I'm in too, weather permitting. I can leave first thing on Saturday and get up there late morning or so, and if you don't mind, stay until Monday morning.

Bryan Raffa
02-05-2008, 11:15 PM
sounds good chris..monday's fine with me Ill start a new thred..

scooterroo
02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
so how much ice is on greenwood? sacandage had a few good riding days but i only made it out once, and at that it was very wet and slushy. got a nonregistered atv ticket that day as well, lol. oh well. sheriffs turned a blind eye the rest of the day. besides that the sacandaga isnt looking so hot right now with these warmer temps and rain. gonna snow some tonight but yuck. lake gearge doesnt even have any ice yet, and they have already cancelled most of the winter carnival events. that sucks, that lake used to be froze by the beginning of january. two years in a row and no ice!!!! hmmm.

JohnR.
02-06-2008, 09:48 PM
No good news here at Greenwood Lake. We saw 60* today but you never know, if we get a week of good, cold weather we could get one or two weekends out there. You're a good 125 miles north of here so you'd definitely get ice before we do.

John

riverrat
02-14-2008, 10:38 AM
We had extreme cold temperatures here, and the lake iced up again in the open spots, but then we had 2-4 inches of snow, followed by 1/4" ice, then 2.5" of rain. After the rain, it dropped to 22F, but I do not think the ice is any good.

I went to start my 200x, and I think the throttle cable broke. So now all I have is a 110, and my new prarie 360. Unless next week is going to be very cold, I think Greenwood Lake is dead this year.

I would love to travel to upstate to raffa's, but I play in a church band, (it's Christian rock) and we got a conference this weekend, and I have to play the entire weekend. I was going to skip a few sets if everyone was coming here.

I am pretty bummed out for not having ice this year.

Hey John, do you check your PM's? I will send my phone # over, and I would love to riding with you one day. I am guessing you live close to me?