PDA

View Full Version : paint color? chappy red..

Bryan Raffa
07-04-2007, 12:13 AM
any color out there in a rattel can close or the same to chappy red??

fatcat
07-04-2007, 10:52 AM
can you show me an example?
if its like the frame on my bw 200 high heat red by duplicolor is close. i think i spelled that right

Bryan Raffa
07-04-2007, 11:11 AM
any yamaha red frame is that color.. ya a BW is the same color

oldschoolYamaha
04-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I have recently been searching for this exact same paint color for my '86 YZ250. I felt I had to sign-up here to share this info after a Google search displayed this thread. I have found two "rattle can" products that are extremely close. Both are available at either ACE Hardware or TrueValue.

Valspar Anti-Rust Armor "Gloss Red" #21927

X-O Rust "Hot Red" #XO-41

The Valspar paint is higher quality and a bit more durable than the X-O rust paint. The Valspar is just a slight shade "redder", or deeper than the OEM Yamaha color. It has better gloss and flows out (less orange-peel texture) better than the X-O paint. Very slow drying.

The X-O Hot Red is damn near a perfect match. Slightly orange tinited just like the the OEM Chappy Red. Scratches/chips slightly easier though. Dries quickly. This paint would blend in alittle better for spot touch-ups on a 20+ year old faded frame.

Want to take it to the next level? ICI/Devoe Devguard 4308-9000 "Safety Red" factory pre-mixed industrial enamel in a gallon can. Yes, it's a brushed on paint but could be sprayed. It is ridiculously durable, far beyond anything rattle-cans can provide. It's designed for professional painting contractors but is available over the counter to the general public. Only costs about $33 a gallon! Not a direct-to-metal paint, must be primed first. The color is basically identical to the Valspar paint mentioned above, nearly a perfect match! Several day long dry time.

Or you can spend the big-bucks ($250 last time I checked) to powder-coat it. "Red Barron" was a color name I remember from a few years back, not sure of the brand of powder. Guy told me it was a "two-stage" coating with a clear! Must be baked twice, I guess.

Hope this helps.