PDA

View Full Version : Frame questions, kinda scared.

RedRider_AK
07-04-2007, 03:36 AM
I just went out for an epic ride today on Big Blue (aka the four-hundy), and I'm wondering how much pounding the stock frame can take...

A friend and I went out to the local sandpit/ersatz motocross course and decided to hit some of the jumps the crazy YFZ450 and LTZ400 guys around town built. He was riding his new 07 Big Bear with IRS and I was on my 06 with a solid axle.

Anyway, the jump is like a double/tabletop hybrid. Basically there's a straightaway, then a jump about 10 feet tall (probably about 60 or so degrees of ramp but I'm definetely not sure), and then about 20-30 feet of table and a gentle downslope about 50 feet long after that. We both hit it, and Jeremiah was landing about 2/3 across the table and I actually landed on the downslope once (but I really had to grow some huevos and get on the gas).

I was wondering if this is bad for the chassis on my Big Bear. Honestly, I don't think it can hold up to this kind of pounding for long, I really want to know if this will destroy the frame. I'm in the process of getting a sporty machine, but that's a story for another time.

Thanks,
RR_AK

P.S. May have pics/video tomorrow, I will bring my camera next time I go for a ride.

scooterroo
07-05-2007, 04:00 PM
your big bear is a utility bike. not made for jumping big jumps and stuff. the frame i think could handle it, but your landings would be a bit painful, due to the suspension not being suited for the jumping.

Kilborg
07-05-2007, 05:35 PM
It will do it a few times. Dont get crazy. You'll destroy alot more then the frame if you make a habit of airing that big tank out. Years ago a local guy tried setting a trx400 4x4 wth holeshots all around cut the fenders and made it as "sporty" as he could, the bike did not last long. It didnt look bad on small stuff, but he did a few bigger jumps and the bike did not take it well. After some major repairs he went big and ended up hurting himself (and destroying the quads sport career).

My theory: Do it a few times, if your having fun, get a bike you can actually hammer on in the air. I myself am admittedly an airborne clown, and the atc250r and the trx450r and even my xr600r spend plenty of time bottoming out. Next toy up: A crf450x.