PDA

View Full Version : calling on import guys

84honda200s
07-05-2007, 10:43 PM
ok guys my buddy bought a "project" 1988 toyota supra for 100.00 bux. the underside is nice and the tires are great. but the fuel tank is leaking and so is the fuel lines. the turbo is also having issues. that is where im hoping you guys can help me. there is oil going into the air box. a garage told the guy it had to do with the turbo. now if there was something about the turbo that would cause this what would in be ? oooooo yea there will be pics in a few days.

j.Lawson
07-05-2007, 11:35 PM
sounds like a valve issue to me? or maybe the seals in the pcv valve? or somthing like that..just a guess?:confused:

200x newby
07-06-2007, 12:11 AM
not an improt guy but ive been toyin with the ideer of puttin twin turbos on my 70 chevelle. the oil cooled ones and if your is oil cooled then maybe a seal in the turbo is leaking oil letting it get to the air box if you tear it apart be very careful on how you place the turbine down and where you put it not to break or crack it.

oldsking86
07-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Yea a turbo car that year most likely it's the seals in the turbo going out. Probably needs a rebuild I wouldn't doubt it.

Slap in a LS1 TT and call it a day!

84honda200s
07-06-2007, 12:39 AM
where can he get rebuild kits for a turbo ?

oldsking86
07-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Depending on the manufacture of the turbo you could get them from there. I can't recall what the supra's run. If you can't go that route may want to find a turbo company who can rebuild it or they can shoot you toward an aftemarket one that will be better and save you on the money.

See what brand of turbo it is

tbirdscott
07-06-2007, 01:46 AM
How much oil is getting there? a bit of oil in the intake pipes isnt abnormal for a turbo car.

Scott

84honda200s
07-06-2007, 02:00 AM
i dont know. im going to get a better look at it tomorrow night. i will keep you up to date on this stuff.

JasonB
07-06-2007, 03:18 AM
If theres not standing oil in your lines than your fine. Clean out your lines and a drive a few times like you normally would and then pull a few intake pipes pre_intercooler and see how much oil is in the lines.

If theres a 'leak' its your trubo seals; your by pass valve (assuming you have a BPV equipped car Im familiar with the 91 and up mr2 turbos so I presume you have a re cirrculated by pass valve instead of a Blow Off Valve (BOV). This reccirculation of the air "blown off" (BOV chirp) after shifting allows whatever oil and air to be pushed back into the intake side of the turbo when your making higher boost shifting.

Another option is blow by: If your rings are going you will see the symptom as smoke comming from the PCV (Pressure Case Vent or some name like that). It looks like smoke or steam but basically from what I know means you blew a ring/cracked a ringland/fried a ring etc etc. I just blew a head gasket on my 91 mr2 with heavy engine mods, lots of white smoke from the exhaust after warm up. But blown rign lands show as a steamy mist from the little hose on the vlave cover. Its usually hooked up from the intake tract to the top or side of the valve cover to act as a vent for the head pressure I believe.

He can probably buy an aftermarket turbo and external waste gate with down pipe for cheaper than it would be to have some local shop "rebuild" his stock turbo. Rebuilding a stock turbo can be expensive and usually isnt up to par with how the stock turbo was assembled. So ya buy an aftermarket single or twin turbo set up for a little less than the stock rebuild is worth and run a slightly lower level of boost and enjoy the car. Thats My thoughts on it :D

I personally have wasted lots on my toyota mr2 poject. Click the link if you want to see my turbo set up or any of my own toyota junk lol

http://www.mrtwo.net/galleries.php?gallery_id=27

84honda200s
07-06-2007, 03:53 AM
cool thanks for that info man. i knew i could count on you guys. now wat kinda turbo would do good ? ive herd a t3-t4 but what else is there ? this kid dont need major boost. just a little bit. say 8 or so psi of boost

bassman
07-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Your turbo & rings may still be good. If the PCV breather hose is routing back to your intake, disconnect that immediately, and run it into a catch can, or something like a gatorade bottle. I though the seals were gone in my turbo, but come to find out, all I needed to do was disconnect that stupid hose.
Also blowby in boosted cars is common, and doesn't necessarily mean bad rings. When you get into boost you are forcing air past the piston rings which then trys to escape out the breather, carrying a bunch of oil with it.

Do you know if it's leaking out the blow off valve(if it's atmospheric, I wouldn't know, I have no real knowledge on supras) or if it's leaking else where? If it's leaking out the BOV, them I'm almost 100% positive on that.

84honda200s
07-06-2007, 11:15 PM
ok guys i just got back. we got it running and boy does it sound nice. it has a blow off and it works great. i also looked at the oil in the intake tubes and there is hardly any so im sayn the guy didnt know much about them. i dont either but thats why im asking advice lol. also i have no clue what turbo is in it. i can tell you it is a toyota turbo and has an A stamped on it.

jason85atc250r
07-06-2007, 11:32 PM
if your buddy want s to sell it i'll buy it for the rear end.

they had posi's from the factory and there the same drop out third member like a 79-95 4x4 toyota truck. trucks never came with posi's back then. the Supras have 4.10 gears i think.

on Yotatech .com there was a couple guys that put those engines in the 4runners.

oldsking86
07-07-2007, 12:35 AM
For aftermarket stick with the big names, Turbonetics, Greddy, etc. No cheapo turbos will work and result in a good thing!

T3-T4 is a hybrid turbo which is the best of both the T3 and the T4 compressors.. Very good turbos to go with on a mild to high performance. If you want bigger then your talking the t61, t66, and up which require extensive motor prep.

bassman
07-07-2007, 05:34 AM
Go to a supra forum. You will learn LOADS more than anything you'll ever learn on this site. I wouldn't know what turbo is on it, but i'm positive if you asked a supra forum, they'd answer you in seconds time.
T3 is probably your best bet if you're looking to upgrade. T3s are GREAT turbos.
How many miles are on the engine? Because if there is quite a bit, i wouldn't upgrade the turbo until you rebuild the engine. Whatever developing problems that are in the engine right now, will just be sped up at an alarming rate.
But if you upgrade always make sure you get supporting fuel upgrades as well. Like bigger injectors, fuel pump and it would need to be tuned. Or else you won't notice much of difference, or if you do, then you have no idea what it is actually capable of.
And since you mentioned intake box, your first mod should be a cold air intake.

burnoutboy
07-07-2007, 05:56 AM
What kind of motor is it? 7MGTE?

84honda200s
07-07-2007, 01:37 PM
yup that be her. even for it having old gas in it its a pretty snappy car. i dont know what it is but its so much different than other sports cars ive bin in.

ill get you guys pics next time i go up to his place (monday or tuesday) its a pos but i think hes planning on getting it painted. just remind me to get pics cuz i will forget.

burnoutboy
07-08-2007, 03:45 AM
Yeah the supras are great cars, I'm heavily into them