PDA

View Full Version : cold air intake idea

mullet_boy
07-13-2007, 01:07 AM
I had an idea one day in class for a cold air intake. Im not sure if its been done or not but o well here it goes. After knowing about the cold cans they use on drag cars and what not to cool fuel, i thought why not take it one step further and cool the air with ice or something like they do those. well I got to thinking and i wasnt sure ice would to the trick so why not dry ice? build and alluminum intake from the air box to the carb that you could pack dry ice around. You wouldnt have to worry about going fast enough to make a conventional cold air intake work that way. Any one have any thoughts on this?

SYKO
07-13-2007, 09:57 AM
well, technicaly if the air box is hooked up correctly on say an 85-86 250r is has a type of cold air intake (it enters at the top of the frame and then travels into the box) im not sure if there would be that great of an increase in HP from that idea as the operating temps in a car are much higher than that of the atc

mullet_boy
07-13-2007, 11:46 AM
I guess i never thought of that. My reasoning behind the whole thing was that when i rode my trike this winter, it seamed to run a bit stronger than it does in the heat. I know it wasnt just me thinking that either because when it warmed up the trike ran worse untill i reset the needle height to lean it out. And i guess another thing ive been looking at is not realy that i wanted to make the air the same as the outside temp or a little colder, i was thinking like realy cold. I mean colder air is denser and would get more of it into the cylinder at once right?

And i just relized i realy should have named this thread intercoller instead of cold air. i have no idea why i said cold air intake i ment intercooler. woops....

SYKO
07-13-2007, 01:15 PM
true, but if your pullling a full day of riding, any ice would be gone after a while and you would be back to stock.

84honda200s
07-13-2007, 01:35 PM
all the dry ice would do good for is a quick drag race or 2. but when the ice melts wouldnt the suction pull the water/melting ice threw the filter and into the engine. i know that isnt good.

i dont know about cars and atvs but when sleds drag on a summer day they put a inter cooler type of thing in between the water pump and the line running to the head. then they put it into a cooler packed with ice and water. then they start it up and let it do its thing. when it comes time to drag they shut the sled off unhook the cooler and lines then they loop a line straight from the pump to the head then off they go.

thats the only time ive herd of ice being used on a machine. but i guess if you put a few drains on the bottom of the air box it might work. but as said before the ice wont las a long time. even dry ice wont last for ever. if you want a performance upgrade for your intake throw some good rings and a piston in there and get a bottle of nos.

SWIGIN
07-13-2007, 04:00 PM
im thinking that the air would be moving to fast to be cooled ...even at a idle i doubt it would cool it any.

but sycolincoln is right...a stock setup is a cold air kit already

Daddio
07-13-2007, 11:10 PM
One reason it could be running better in the winter when its cold is because it is jetted a little rich for warmer weather. Two strokes and engines in general need a little more gas when it's colder. Or maybe I'm just a crazy old man.:wondering

mullet_boy
07-14-2007, 01:56 AM
i dont think dry ice realy melts very fast. The one time i messed around with it it was rather hot out and it lasted a long time. I dont realy intend to cool the air before it hits the filter, but while its running through the piping to the carb. My idea here could be useless (and probably is for that matter) but i figured id run it by to see what the rest of you would think. Thanks for the input already by the way.

RedRider_AK
07-14-2007, 02:11 AM
I've never noticed any power difference when riding in cold weather, and I've ridden in heat of 80 degrees to -40.

The Goat
10-15-2007, 05:12 AM
idk about on bikes, but i know my scion xb will only go 103 or so when it's about 70 out, the rpms just stall out at 4500...but if it's colder...i can make those rpms climb that extra 500 into the peak powerband...leaving it able to climb all the way up to 6300....and way faster than that little box was ever meant to go. 122 is my best so far...it just won't give me anything more.

point is...cold air helps.

RedRider_AK
10-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Actually I just realized another part of this that wouldn't work (even though the thread is like a year old... :lol)

Isn't dry ice made of carbon something or another? Wouldn't that hurt/kill the performance, because it wouldn't be getting all oxygen, instead it'd be running on oxygen and some carbon emissions from the dry ice vapor?

4cylinders
10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
hey, colder outside, denser air and fuel, more power.