PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Trailblazer 400

wayne
05-07-2003, 10:27 PM
I am 43 yrs old and considering a new 2003 Polaris Trailblazer 400 to just ride around for fun, and I have a few questions about it.
1. Will the 2-stroke engine need frequent annual rebuilding like a dirt bike, I was told the motor will last several years with average use.
2. Will 2-stroke ATV be banned from use in Florida anytime soon.
3. Fun factor on this ATV.

Is there another ATV I should consider, I only want an automatic ATV and don't need 4WD.

Thanks!

200xer
05-08-2003, 11:11 AM
Polaris 2 strokes do last for a while. 2 strokes only need rebuilding a lot when they are not taken care of. I don't think they will be banned at all, they might be banned for sale, but old ones wouldn't get banned, I think atleast. I haven't ridden a trailblazer 400 but I have a sport 400 (prolly the same) and they are pretty fun to ride, I'm not a big auto fan though.

I know some will agree and disagree on this but Polaris quality. I think they are very high maintenance machines and have very poor quality. A friends is sitting in my garage, back brakes don't work and it's not making a grinding type noise that I can't figure out. It's a 02 trailboss with very very little hours on it. Our 02 Rancher easily has 10x the ridding on it and we haven't had anything go wrong. Ours is used almost every day.

Since you want an auto, you may want to look at the utility looking machines. They are getting quite sporty nowadays. Yamaha has the 400 Kodiak in 2wd. I'd look into that one. Plus if you did want to do some yard work or move something around you can.

Cheese
05-08-2003, 01:48 PM
One of my friends just bought a 400 trailblazer a couple of weeks ago. Its an 02 that he bought new, but was left over from last year. I think he gave 3800 for it. I used to own a 500 scrambler and never had any luck with it. There was always something wrong with it. This is his second 2 stroke and both of his ran fine. He actually rode them harder than I ever rode mine and he only had a problem with the clutch once on his old one, I think it was a 97 400 scrambler. Basically the same thing he just bought, but different name. I know his old one could easily keep up with my 500 and they were both stock. I think that they are junk but thats my opion and I know there are others on here that think differently. Just my .02

Wickedfinger
05-08-2003, 03:41 PM
I had an 1996 Sport 400L that I bought new and owned it untill last year. It was a great machine and I would recommend it to anyone. They have luxurious amounts of power (36hp), are very fast out of the box but can be made Banshee killing quicker with just a good pipe, one tooth up C/S sprocket, reeds and a clutch kit. They are decent handlers but no MX racer - they are terrific trail quads and are great in the snow and mud. I only ever had to top-end it once (and that was my fault - I removed the snorkle in the summer and ran it with out it in the winter - blowtorched a hole in the piston). I took the opportunity to take the head out to get ported but, with just a quick hone, I would have had it done in 30min. Some of the Mods I put on here were: Aean Pipe/Answer silencer, Mic 38mmTMX flatslide carb, Boyesen Radvalve, Aaen woods type clutch kit w/ dual angle helix, and a Fox rear shock (96's didnt come with them), new handle bars, controls. Some of the good things about them: Great power - will kick any sport and most High Performance quads asses in a race, very comfortable seat, plush suspension, affordable. Now some of the downsides to them: Polaris did have a reputation for poor quailty control which I'm told has since been improved, the brakes wear out way too quick and the older front reservoirs need rebuilding quite often, they are porkers (heavy), the older thumb throttles suck - well I hope this helps.

Dan Tenn
05-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Ive got an 01 xplorer 400. Its got the same engine. I love mine, and went to buy another one, but they quit making this model in 02. I have beat mine doing everything. I used it to log my lot before building a house, general yard work and to play with. The only problem Ive had with mine was a broken front brake resevoir, but that was my fault when I rolled it. I would not purchase a polaris four stroke, but love their 2 strokes. I also plow my driveway with it too. Ride one, if you like it, buy it.

ATCRYDER
05-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Polarises are beautiful machines. The Scrambler 400/Sport 400/new Trailblazer 400 are all AWESOME machines and I would never under-estimate them in a good race against any shifting quad or trike. Go for it with the TB400!

REDMAN225
05-14-2003, 04:52 AM
my friend has a limited edtion scrambler 400 2 stroke 4x4. it awesome and really fast. i want one!!!!!!!!!!

Z250blues
05-17-2003, 04:04 AM
I am currently working a 98 400 for a buddy of mine. He bought it new and this is it's first rebuilt top-end...impresssive. He went riding with us twice and he really wants to keep up. The 400 two-stroker is a powerhouse on that bike. However, it's only about 25 Horse or so stock. A pipe, reeds, and definitly a bigger carb and air intake mod will easily double the Horse and then that automatic will keep up with anything. The brake system sucks, I would split the front and rear brakes, to stop them from working together. Plus offseting the front rims will make it handle ALOT better in trails. Polaris don't sell cheap. I would consider a used Honda 400ex for that kind of money. It will NEVER let you down, handles awesome, and has power to spare...even stock. The one Quad that is truely worth every penny.

If your looking for an automatic with optional 4x4 and reverse. The 400 scrambler is a great choice.

It's a grandfathered bike, and as long as Polaris keeps making them, they will be around. I think the only thing that will be illegal would be running it in state parks without the aproved spark arrestor and/or if your pipe exceeds the DB level of sound.