PDA

View Full Version : 08 Yamaha Yfz 450

ATCGENIUS
07-19-2007, 05:21 AM
Has anyone seen the new 08 YFZ 450? Yamaha cut some weight, worked the suspension, and even added a awesome new color. Also Suzuki did some work to the quadracer, I have more of the 08 Quad line-up at my powersports site, check it out and see what you think.

http://www.powersportslife.com/POWERSPORTS_NEWS.php

http://www.powersportslife.com/

Bryan Raffa
07-19-2007, 09:48 AM
the new KTM 450 is where its at!!!!

3Razors
07-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Its nice to finally see manufacturers make improvements on their quads rather than having the same old design for a decade.

Dracus124
07-19-2007, 01:59 PM
i'm loving that Quadracer.....

But!!!! The new Honda will kill it

tecat-z
07-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Don't see any major changes with the yfz, at least mechanically. The ltr still looks the best IMO out of the bunch, but looks dont win races. Don't know what Honda's up to yet, and the kfx is status quo. Honistly, the can-am is pretty fugly to me. I to, look for KTM to build the best 450 class quad of them all. However KTM does demand lots of $ for their product. I can tell you this. Back in 04 when the bombshell known as the yfz debuted, atv race attendance was going up every weekend. The dominant 250r was still out in force and the yfz was the future. I had many friends who raced locally at 3-4 different tracks with quads. Attendance was going up during 04-05. O6 saw a slow downturn, and this year attendance is awful. Quad guys always disliked bike guys, and i think there was false hope that they could overtake the bikes with attendance. Well it will never happen. In fact attendance is down for bikes as well. I know people who race bikes and it all comes down to $$. Four strokes cost more from the start, way more to maintain, and people are finding out they are not as reliable as once thought. Understand i am talking about week in, week out racing. And when they break, its $2500-3,000 to fix em. Quad or bike. Iv'e seen this so many times, so the bikes sit. Our local MX flier has said district 15 mx attendance is down 40% in two years. Thats southwest michigan and northwest north central Indiana district. The true colors of the four stroke MX bikes are showing up. Their pricing themselves right of the sport. And it is believed that the sport of motocross will be in trouble in the coming years due to poor attendance. Local tracks need local riders, without them, tracks will slowly fade away. Really kinda sad.

BigGreenMachine
07-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Four strokes are a money gimic. Going to make dealers/manufacturers rich in repair and maintenence costs.

I said on another forum that two strokes are great because you only have to tighten the chain and clean the filter.

The only response I got was that "fourstroke 450 valves can stay in spec for a year." I'd like to see the 450 motor work needed after neglecting the valve maintenence for a year.

James

tecat-z
07-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Springs fatigue or break and either valve drops or valve doesn't return fast enough and it's over. Catastrophe, of epic proportions. Cylinder, head, and heads come bare. All components are separate, rod, piston, and ive even seen yfz's fail to the point where the trans is trashed due to rod entering and re-aranging things. Yamaha supposidly addressed the issue in 06. Well, ive seen them in the local shop for rod failure. A friend of mine has 2 07 trx 450r's, one practice and on race and the race bike trans broke so bad coming off downhill jump that it trashed the cases and he ended up with a torn ACL. This guy is much younger than i, so he rides very hard. He only went with Hondas this year after the same thing was happening to yfz's. They have huge amounts of money invested in racing, and travel to Florida, Texas, Kentucky, you name it, chasing points. He is VERY good. Give me a two stroke any day.

ATCGENIUS
07-19-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm sorry to start a argument, I was just talking about some of the new changes for the 08 yfz 450. I wasn't saying it was the best or worst, I believe the KTM will be awesome and I know the 08 Honda and Quadracer will be awesome too. Each quad has something to offer and that is what gives us choices. I was sharing some info with everyone and there is more on my new NEWS page. Click the link and check it out, thanks.

http://powersportslife.com/POWERSPORTS_NEWS.php

3Razors
07-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Well put tecat-z. It all comes down the $$$ like everything else in thise world. The manufacturers have the technology to build clean burning 2 strokes but there is more money to be made in the 4 stroke market.

RedRider_AK
07-20-2007, 04:19 AM
I like ignoring my engine forever, so it's two-strokes for me apparently LOL.

honda250sx
07-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Being a yamaha techician, yfz's are stated for a new top end at 40 hrs. New cylinder and rings. Not exactly cheap.

oldsking86
07-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Damn after 40hrs? Geez that must suck to pay 7g's and if you ride a lot you'll be paying for that in the next couple months.. Doesn't that come under warranty though?

Dracus124
07-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Screw that.....

Every 40 hrs?? What happened to keeping the tolerances tight and putting clean oil in it?

I am not spending alot of money every 6 months to have it rebuilt. You dont need to rebuild it every 40hrs, they're just trying make more money

I'd rebuilt it every 400hrs :D

NOS_350X
07-23-2007, 04:34 PM
I race tt, and we see these 450 engines go all the time. and its a 2-$4000 rebuild every time. On a race 450 engine they have to replace the piston just as much as any of the 2 strokes. your lookin at 4 or 5 races and your throwing in new piston and rings, check the valves all that bs. If you doing your going to be spending the big bucks to rebuild. Every yfz ive see at about 20 hours the wristpin seperates from the piston on the stock piston. Im sticking with my banshee i have the same hp, and run my pistons ALL year before changeing, If one of the 450's dont check there valves for a year they will probably be buying a new head soon.

Dammit!
07-23-2007, 04:55 PM
All I got to say is DAAAAYYUUMMM that color scheme looks badass!

KASEY
07-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Being a yamaha techician, yfz's are stated for a new top end at 40 hrs. New cylinder and rings. Not exactly cheap.

WHATEVER,,,,,,, how do you explian my 04 never having a wrench on it then? i have put more than 40 hours on it in one ride at the dunes, we have several 450's in our family and NONE have ever been opened up. so i think i don't believe that statement,,,,,, i really didn't want to hijack this thread but ALL racing engines blow up ,,,,, its just a fact,,, there are tens of thousands of 450'r that aren't raced and are still running strong,,, stock engines with regular maintance live a long time,, so don't be scared off by this crap,,,,

okieRrider
07-23-2007, 11:54 PM
I will have to agree with kasey on this one...if you maintain it right it will last but a pure bred race bike will not last long if it is ridden as a pure bred race bike!! The same goes with the 2 strokes also...you maintain it right it will last a long time...I have ridden with guys that have atc 250r's that have never been into..hell one guys had the original anti freeze in it and it ran just as good as the rest..not to say thats proper maintenance but still a point anyways

LonesomeTriZ
07-24-2007, 07:42 AM
That is one reason why I plan to leave my YFZ pretty much stock. I have no desire to start spending money on shortning the life. It is fast enough like it is. I do plan to pretty it up some more though.

ATCGENIUS
07-26-2007, 03:13 AM
Well 4 strokes aren't cheap to work on for sure. I love pingers, mainly because I can actually work on them myself. It all comes down to choice, everyone has different reasons and opinions. I love to ride my buddy's stroker around the track, they are fast! But I will still stay with my cheap to rebuild and fun as hell to ride pinger. I added some more info and pics on the news page, check it out.

http://powersportslife.com/POWERSPORTS_NEWS.php