PDA

View Full Version : I have questions for people living in Arizona.

LonesomeTriZ
07-19-2007, 06:54 PM
I am starting the hiring process with the Border Patrol. I know it is going to take up to a year or more to get hired. But I have to decide where I want to get stationed. What is Arizona like? That is what I am leaning to. Can I live comfortably on just under 40 thousand a year? What would a three bedroom house on a couple of acres run? Information like that is what I am looking for. Along with any other facts you think I should know.

Oh yeah, one more thing. HOW IS THE RIDING?!

Dammit!
07-19-2007, 07:17 PM
A couple of acres anywhere in the Phoenix area (meaning the whole valley, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Glendale etc etc) would cost a ridiculous amount. Do you have any idea where you'd be moving to? I would think Tucson or Yuma if you're going to be working for the border patrol. I don't know what the prices are down there but I guarantee they're WAY lower than up here. Average price up here for a 3bed/2bath on a small like 1/8th acre lot is about 250k. Tucson is nice. Never spent any time in Yuma. Good thing about Yuma is that it's all of 15 minutes from the dunes.

Never did any riding down in Tucson. Jim Mac might be able to help you out there. If you lived near Yuma you'd never want to ride anywhere but the dunes.

LonesomeTriZ
07-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Mmmmmm the dunes. That is actually why I am considering Arizona. I am not saying this will happen. But I did start the proccess today. I may end up going with another agency all together. The cost of living scares me. I have heard about it before. That may be the one thing that scares me away.

Dammit!
07-19-2007, 10:02 PM
The high cost of living is mostly here in the valley though. Tucson may be completely different. I really don't know what property is selling for down there.

Arizona is a great place to live though. I love it here. Just sucks that the housing prices jumped by so much a couple years ago. Before that you could get a nice place for less than $150k.

If you can find out a little more specifically where you would want to live I can try to get an idea of the market there for you.

mymint87
07-19-2007, 10:08 PM
I am starting the hiring process with the Border Patrol. I know it is going to take up to a year or more to get hired. But I have to decide where I want to get stationed.

El Centro. CA....120 minutes from the coast.... 30 minutes from the dunes...Housing is inexpensive...You can be neighbors with Driscoll

LonesomeTriZ
07-19-2007, 10:17 PM
..Housing is inexpensive...

In California? I never heard of affordable housing out there.