PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin about getting out of wheeling?!

chris200x
07-21-2007, 09:38 PM
I am seriously thinkin about selling my trikes (well whats left of them anyways) and picking up a dual sport bike.

I've always loved the dual sport bikes (escpecially the hondas) but wasn't really motivated until a few guys on here statred buyng them... and then all the problems I've been having with my one neighbors with the atv's...

If some of you guys don't know there are my rides right now. Now don't get me wrong. I love these things to death...
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/COMPLETEDTRIZ065.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/COMPLETEDTRIZ066.jpg
But neither are running at the moment.. Parts are getting harder and harder (and more $$$ to get) to get...

I would of coarse (and am in the process of) getting the tri z running.. (The SX i'm undecided at the moment.) But I'm thinking about trying to sell and get something I can ride both on the street and in the woods.

Here where I live you can ride for hours upon hours on polelines, trails, and railroad tracks on an ATV.. But someone brought up a very good point to me the other day..

You can still do that.. but then you run low on fuel just find a road and the nearest gas station. then do it all over again.

Really the possibilities are endless. not to mention how much money I'd save on gas.

So I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is... Bordum? (yes perhaps) Maybe try to find some intrested in my trikes? (yes I suppose) But I guess what I really am looking for is some feedback from you guys on your take of my whole idea? :rolleyes:

edog
07-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Have you seen the Dual Sport that I mite be getting?

Bigbore
07-21-2007, 09:49 PM
I've got a XR-650. Got street legal (barley) and its a blast to ride. My brother and I take them up to the mountains. Ride trails and come to a county road, run the road to the next trail.

Now! My love is still ATV's. They don't ride as nice as a bike with 12" at each end, their not as fast either. But the cost of repairs is higher. Hop-up parts are higher for newer bikes because they know people will pay for it. If you think a pipe for a 3 wheeler is high... my pipe for my XR was $500!

But your right sell the 3 wheelers ( I'll give you $750 for the Z to help you out) :lol: Really though, keep the 3 wheelers, save some money and buy the bike. That way you won't be kicking yourself later.

chris200x
07-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Have you seen the Dual Sport that I mite be getting?

Yes I have edog. and between you, Huffa and Raffa posting pictures of them... you really got my wheels turning. :confused: :beer

I really like the hondas. escpecially Huffa's 650.. but that seems a bit to tall for my short stumpy legs. :cry:

I don't know what to do.. I love 3 wheelers and have grown up riding these things.. but I think it maybe time to move on. :wondering

But your right sell the 3 wheelers ( I'll give you $750 for the Z to help you out) :lol: Really though, keep the 3 wheelers, save some money and buy the bike. That way you won't be kicking yourself later.

LMAO!!!! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :welcome:

Unfortunatly that tri z doesn't look as good now as it does in that picture. But will be (if not better) in a few short weeks.

tbirdscott
07-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Keep your favorite (if you can pick one) trike, sell the other and put the money towards a bike, nobody said you can have the best of both worlds!

Thats what I'd do anyway.

Scott

Dimbag_Gyllez
07-22-2007, 12:06 AM
yah seriously.. after awhile YOU WILL miss riding an atv.. so keep one (:

Dammit!
07-22-2007, 01:14 AM
I love bikes and could definitely see myself getting another one someday in the not too distant future. They are not a replacement for the ATV's though in my opinion. More of a compliment to them. They give you a completely different riding experience.

Whatever you do, DO NOT waste your money on a Suzuki DR350. That was the most recent dual sport I had and it was the most gutless bike I've ever owned. Suspension sucked too. Get a big bore or don't even bother.

I say keep whichever of the trikes best suits your riding style and environment and get a bike in addition to that. If you get rid of both you'll eventually find yourself wishing you hadn't.

3 weelin geezer
07-22-2007, 01:42 AM
Send the 250 over here. I can give it a good home. Don't matter if it isn't running. Neither is my vulcan ( I should go fix it but all the rain....:( )

KASEY
07-22-2007, 11:28 AM
ITS FUNNY,,, i think we all think like this once in a while,, i know i have,, then i realize that selling all of them wouldn't get enough to buy a new anything,,, and then i think why get rid of all ofthem for just one new toy? so i buy a few more and keep on wrenching ,,,besides i wouldn't have anything to work on when i get the urge!!!!:lol: :lol:

chris200x
07-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, if anything I'd probably keep my 250sx. It just suits the terrian around here better. BUT it needs a ton of work.... :cry:

Ive been looking just for the hell of it... and I'm really not to crazy about the newer models. Excpecially that Kawi KLR. Sheesh.. those things are FUGLY! :lol:

I'd like to find a late 80's-early 90's something. Something in good shape with not alot of miles.

What are some of the more popular dependable ones?

Dammit!
07-22-2007, 03:48 PM
I'd be looking into getting a big bore XR and making it street legal. It shouldn't be too difficult to do as long as the DMV doesn't do emissions testing in your area.

badasskfx
07-22-2007, 08:51 PM
i have an 01 xr 650 l the handle like crap in the woods due to there weight. they go 100+ on black top. i would not give this bike up for nothing.... if you can only afford one machine get a duel sport they are fun as hell!!!!!!!!!!! i would also try to keep the 250sx looks great and an awesome all around rig. go with your gut. an on off road is more practical then any thing else.....also 52 mpg cant beat that with a stick.

oldskool83
07-23-2007, 07:33 AM
dual sport...buy a husqvarana, those things are street legal MX bikes now days with lights. do what ya feel ya need to do, just be prepaired to want another 3wheeler later if you sell them both.

ceaserthethird
07-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey chris so what ever happen with your case ? ? ?

super90
07-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I've been wondering the same thing? :confused:

ScottZJ
07-23-2007, 09:43 PM
I am right with you on your thoughts. Dual sporting rocks and I plan on venturing that way myself. You just cant beat 2 wheel riding. I have my KTM 300exc for the trials but plan on a dual sport for something more for adventuring. I will also keep a few big reds for work around the house and play but bikes are awesome and they dont take up that much space.

chris200x
07-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Boy! you guys are nosey! :lol: I think he's gonna pay for damages and all the charges (on both of us) are gonna be dropped. My lawyer is finally paid off and all the paperwork is exchanging hands. I'm hoping I wont even have to go to the courthouse.

If he doesn't accept my bargin it will go to court on sept 4th. Worse case senerio for me is 1 year ARD (like probabtion) and a small fine. He's facing more serious charges so it would be dumb for him not to go this route. I can always sue in civil court if the criminal court doesn't go the way I'd like. So we shall see...

NOW,,, Back to these duel sports!!! :naughty:

Bryan Raffa
07-24-2007, 09:56 PM
I been haveing a blast with my TT...new clutch,,whole new bike!:naughty: but im not like gonna get out of trikes...Im haveing fun draggin the 490...I want one of everything...700 superjet jetski is next..He Who dies with the most toys wins....;)

3 weelin geezer
07-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Boy! you guys are nosey! :lol:

Bet no one can beat this:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/3_weelin_geezer/jamaica20.jpg:lol:

I wouldn't call it nosey. I prefer "inquiring minds".

El'Capitan
07-25-2007, 02:03 PM
we did the same thing that you are thinking about. sold our quads/trikes (still have a couple blasters to get rid of) and we have a pair of dual sport bikes. They are great fun, and especially with both me and my dad working almost full time and school comming up its nice to be able to just hop on them and ride the bikes to the trails then come back. not to mention cheaper b/c you dont need to load up your truck with a trailer and pull your atv to the riding spot.

brapp
07-25-2007, 08:56 PM
well when i had my xl i ahve ridden chris area on a duel sport and its fun btu the big bores are just toomuch for anyone but an expert bike rider. i have raced mx on quite a few ocasions on a bike and i have almost killedmyself a few times downthere. its just nto verry bike friendly. but as far as the dr350 i think that woudl be the perfect bike. i alctualy looked at a dr650 near you lastweekend. he wants 1800bux for it and its imaculate and has 5600miles

chris200x
07-26-2007, 05:51 PM
So what is considered high milage on some of these older bikes? What should I try to avoid? what about the top ends? do they last on these big bores? Any other info you guys can supply would be most helpful!

El'Capitan
07-26-2007, 07:22 PM
if you want a smaller dual sport. you could check out a new chinese one. Same price new as a 20-30yr old machine. Loads of fun too :w00t:

RedRider_AK
07-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I think the top end on a big bore thumper should last longer than a small-bore MX bike simply because it's not getting revved out to hell and back all the time.

chris200x
07-26-2007, 07:43 PM
if you want a smaller dual sport. you could check out a new chinese one. Same price new as a 20-30yr old machine. Loads of fun too :w00t:

I've seen your post in bikersville with the pics of the Lifan bike. I must say it is quite the looker,,, but I think I'll wait a few years to see what kind of feedback these bikes are getting. Someone? (can't remember who at the moment) made a very good point about how we all said the same thing about the japanese bikes 20+ years ago. I think time will tell. :beer

I have very little experience with any type of road bike.. So I'm not sure exactly how to judge what alot of miles are for one of these machines. I don't want to buy one then end up having to rebuild the motor right away. :rolleyes:

Huffa
07-28-2007, 11:23 PM
If you want a DS (Dual sport) to cover ALL aspects of bike riding including freeway jaunts (50, 100 150 miles, whatever) every so often, the XR650L (like mine) is the best bike to get, PERIOD.

There is a lowering link (80 bucks or so) for the rear suspension which will lower it almost 2" and you can lower the front (free) almost as much to keep the same geometry.

Thr bike gets 45-50 mpg and is very comfortable to ride but for really long rides you butt gets a little sore and the Honda has the better seat of many DS too, others are firmer and worse, not capable of long trips like that.

It will cruise all day long at 65-75MPH. The motors can be lugged like crazy, no need to rev them what so ever and that interperts into a long lasting motor. These things can go 40,50 60,000 miles before needing a rebuild if take care of!

NOW, if you just want one for your local area and can't forsee going on any trips you may want a street legal XR 400. They do not come street legal but you can find ones already done up in street legal form that have been registered already so you don't have to go through the hassle. They are a lot lighter and easier to toss around for sure but the trade off is they are more buzzie on the streets, not near as comfortable either.

I know you pretty good though and think for you, needing reliable transportation and all, should go with the 650. The motors are identical in the powerband towards the SX, no surprizes what so ever but triple the power.

The 400 almost cost as much as a good 650 sometimes too so why not get an extra 250CC for a few bucks more.

Insurance is "dirt" cheap at 127 bucks a year and that's with everything.

The older XL600's are great too but no electric start so I would not recommend them.

You can find a low milage 650 for between 2 and 3000 for sure. They are everywhere, people buy them and then don't ride them. I see more with low mileage then high mileage.

Hope I helped or did I confuse you more? :lol:

........and yea, the Kawis are ugly but they are the best road bike but not near as good, not even close to the Honda on the trails.

They are very popular among older guys (even older then me ;) that do some SERIOUS traveling all over the country and Kawi knows that because the 08's are changed to even cater more so to the roads witha huge fairing and more road going features.

The 650 Suzukis are not too bad and are lower for sure but they don't look near as nice as the XRL , just not quite as modern as the XRL.

I plum forgot about the street legal DRZ 400, a great bike, really nice ! :beer
Firm hard narrow seat though and actually a bit too light for cruzing on the highway. YES, a heavier bike will not tire you out as quick because it doesn't get blown around as much and is more stable for sure.

The Honda just wins, wins wins, you can use it anywhere and while it's not the best at anything, it does everything really well. Very easy to work on too. :beer

Nice talking to ya, see ya in another few weeks :lol:

You can ride mine if ya want ya know, as long as you feel confident that you won't fall over when stopped. All that you do is lean to one side and once under way the tallness just doesn't matter.

Come on, lets start DS shopping now ! Even if you sold both trikes, big deal, you can always buy one again, not like they are that rare.

chris200x
07-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Where the heck you been Mr. Huffa? :cry: Your post was most helpful. I didn't realize those motors would take that many miles.

I'll start shopping around here in the next few weeks. What's all involved with those darn emmisions? Not sure if you have to deal with them in your county but I know we do where I live.

Keep your eyes peeled for me bud! :beer

Huffa
07-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Where the heck you been Mr. Huffa? :cry: Your post was most helpful. I didn't realize those motors would take that many miles.

I'll start shopping around here in the next few weeks. What's all involved with those darn emmisions? Not sure if you have to deal with them in your county but I know we do where I live.

Keep your eyes peeled for me bud! :beer

You mean with removing that ugly unit on motor? NO BIG DEAL at all, VERY SIMPLE, cost 25 bucks.

I had mine inspected with it on at a gas station and in 10 minutes I was out of there ! If it was off, the guy would have never known anyway.

Worse case sinario is you would have to reinstall it, just for inspection, then rip back off again for a year, guess that is what you are all asking ?

I've been heavily into riding my bike and adding bling here and there. Sorry to say my 3 wheelers are the fartherest thing from my mind right now but you know me, one month or two I can be back into them, then out, then in.........I'm just that way and hope everyone accepts it.

Let me know when you are SERIOUSLY ready to shop for one, if you do want one that is. If you just simply key in XR650L on google, you get quite a few usually on craigslist if you go thru a few pages, otherwise go directly on craigslist and start looking. Ebay too for that matter OR thumpertalk.

93-99 are the white ones, from there on up are the red.

BTW, the 08 is UGLY with them putting white plastic on the headlight assmbly. Freakin dumb!

Graphics suck more and more every year too.

Time for a whole color change since they don't change the bike at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/XR650L.jpg

Check your emails, NOW !!! :Bounce :w00t: :Bounce:w00t: :beer YAMAHONDAMAN

fla 2-stroke
08-01-2007, 01:29 AM
I have a 93 xt600 and love it.had it since 95.great for fast forest roads and gets about 60 mpg.will go around 105 on the highway,but is most comfortable around 70-85.when I want to go fast I take my 02 zx9r.once you own a on-off road bike you will always have to have one.no insurance needed in fla so this is on the road legal for 25 bucks a year.try to keep the trikes if you can.

Mike_Ham_250R
08-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Sell your trikes you will have no regret whatsoever. They are cool and stuff but ya really gotta realize that they are outdated and are only a novelty.

Now, sometimes a dual-sport isn't the best in rough trails as they are a little bit heavier depending on what one you decide on. I say find a nice decent used CRF450X or CRF450R and get one of those street legal kits for it (CRF450X would probably be easier because it already has a battery).

Huffa
08-03-2007, 12:44 AM
CRF's for Chris's use, would not make a good road bike at all, nor would they for me.

They are too stiff suspension and seat wise, way too aggressive in power and don't hold enough oil for road use. You would be changing the oil weekly, they only hold 3/4 of a quart.

You would burn the motor up quick unless you installed a SM oil resivoir but still, not a good bike for extended use on road.

Shawn72
08-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Don't Do It Chris!!!:(

Greiver430x
08-18-2007, 10:15 AM
I have ridden A street legal crf450, the xr650 and the drz400. The crf is awesome but uncomfortable and you can tell it isnt meant for the road, although it is faster than the other two and much better in the woods. the xr650 is great the most comfortable on road but it is too heavy for me to be a serious woods or trail bike. The suzuki is the best of both worlds, right in the middle between dirtbike and street bike. I had my buddies up to 97mph, totally stock and it was pretty quick to get there too. I personally liked the suzuki.