PDA

View Full Version : my ride story

honda_atc200es
07-26-2007, 08:16 PM
well my dad sold his motorcycle in a trade for a 1999 yamaha big bear 350 2wd with a 2500lb winch.

yesterday he wanted to go for a ride out in the rough trails under the power lines. so we went out in a 2004 xtreme cr107 (my bike that my cousin borrowed) a 1986 honda trx200sx, and the big bear.

everything went perfect, we were crusing at about 45 or so, then we got to the hill, i had been beating on the fourtrax the whole way, almost pinned at wot in 4th gear i think (might have been fith, on that quad i always think i have one more gear) this quad is junk, i bought it for $250 a year ago and jsut got it running, the suspention is shot, the tie rod and left wheel are bent and it has no air filter.

we get to the hill and all of a sudden the bike lost power, i shifted down, and it was like it was in nuetral, i kept shifting and shifting and finaly i was in nuetral, thinking i poped out of gear i shifted back up and still nothing, i was like oh great i ruined the tranny, then i hear my dad on the big bear yell "cut the engine".

it turns out the damn chain that my dad popped off the other month came off again. i figured no biggie, ill just put it on roll, backwards and be fine.

went to go up the hill, got 3 feet and when i shifted it happened again.

my dad tried pushing me up with the bigbear, but with only 2wd and muddy ground he only spun the tires. so now we were in trouble, we sat for 5 min figuring out what to do when my dad said, huh, i guess i will get use out of this winch after all, he took the cable routed it through the racks, and towed me home. that was a scary ride back, i had no goggles and i was wearing shorts so, not only did i have to stear stright but i had to mind the brakes, watch the rocks flying up and pick up my legs when we ran over large branches, doing about 30 mph. i learned something that day, quads over 20 are not worth keeping.

SYKO
07-26-2007, 08:30 PM
man that sucks! I had a 200sx that I rebuilt the motor, put new plastics on and basicaly made it a decent rider, and it was a rock! it went through everything! and held up to some major abuse, I always liked the little bugger, but in the end sold it to an older man so he could run around with his grand kids, to this day its still going.

honda_atc200es
07-26-2007, 08:41 PM
ya they are tough, this one has a new engine and new plastics (the new ones are even crappy) now it needs carb and suspension work to be decent, all of wich will be done before september when i go to west virginia for some serious riding

xd 200x
07-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Reminds me of when I towed my buddies warrior home with a leather belt looped from his bumper to the grab bar on my tank auto x. How embarked was he having to have his new $4500 quad towed by a 20 year old 200.00 piece? It was priceless towing him to the loading area.( I went real slow and the long way around) Whole group was laughing. This was the same guy who made the "thats what you get for buying that old ****" comment. When I had to change the swing arm bearings that morning.

super90
07-27-2007, 03:58 AM
In 2004 the first day I got a arctic cat 400 4x4 the electrical failed and I had to be towed home by a honda 200sx. It was pathetic but 20 year old quads are worth keeping. What about the trx250r? Thoes are just about 20 years old and I would trade for one anyday.

honda_atc200es
07-27-2007, 07:26 AM
ya true, i guess it just depends what condition you buy a 20 year old quad in. my trx has the turning radius of a limo and suspension so bad you would think its a hard tail, my brakes are shot, and i need a battery among other things. hopefully though i can fix it up and make a respectable machine for my little brother to ride