PDA

View Full Version : My sister's pimped out Kitty Cat

RedRider_AK
07-26-2007, 08:17 PM
I recently dug out the Kitty Cat out of storage (my backyard LOL) and decided to get crackin' on it before winter comes. I hit up a friend of mine for some universal 5 inch risers, got 'em for 20 bucks. Included in the deal was a set of stock TT-R90 bars as well. Bolted that onto the stock KC steering stem/bars and sawed off the stock bars. Now an adult can comfortably sit on the machine and actually steer it normally, instead of having his hands below his knees. Also, my sister can now stand up for aggressive riding and be totally comfortable, arms are almost level with her shoulders.

Then, I unbolted the seat, shortened it and retacked the cover (to get rid of some rips and rotted foam). Then, but a Dominator racing track on it, with actual LUGS and PADDLES, instead of the asphalt drag track that comes stock with those mini-sleds. Maybe now she won't be getting stuck every 2 minutes.

Also widended the ski-stance about 2 inches to each side, and it REALLY stable now. You can still one-ski it at will, but it doesn't want to tip over every time you shift your weight slightly to one side. And, it actually looks like a SLED now, with the skis slightly visible to the sides, instead of being hidden under the chassis.

The stock motor is a little too weak for my taste. It pulls the little runt around fine, and it'll be ok for her to practice and get her "sled legs" back, but she was already jumping and doing small (foot or two) drops with ease last year, and she even sacked up and did a 5 foot "cliff-drop" (it was actually a single sided drift that was very hard) but didn't land it. She is going to need more power to attempt high-marks and stuff like that.

Anyway, my future plans are to try and fit my go-kart motor (5 horsepower Tecumseh motor) into the Kitty Cat chassis. The cool thing is, I have a clutch system that uses the same chain size as the Kitty Cat (#35), and it's on the correct side as well, so technically all I'd have to do is fab up some engine mounts and that's it. The benefit of this is that the clutch is actually a CVT design instead of a centrifugal unit, meaning it has low end torque AND top end speed, instead of neither. The stock centrifugal unit really cuts down the amount of torque the motor produces, because it's constantly slipping unless you're driving down a groomed hardpack road or something. Also, the centrifugal unit means you can't have it geared high enough to get going quick or it will never take off. Right now, it already is geared to high to get up even a small hill, and it only tops out at 12 or 13 mph. That's just too damn slow. With the 5 horse Tecumseh and the CVT tranny, it should have stump pulling low end, and at least 25 mph top speed, in a REALLY small and quick-handling package.

Anyhow, I just wanted to rant about some mechanical stuff, so there it is. Any ideas or thoughts, or praise/hate about the machine, me, or my ideas are welcome! :lol:

:beer

trimoto.125
07-26-2007, 09:40 PM
lets see a pic

Black86tri-z
01-14-2008, 12:21 PM
pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!