PDA

View Full Version : blaster 490?

Sour Diesel
07-27-2007, 01:39 AM
hello,

i just bought a 1994 blaster with a blown up engine. so i took it apart to look at it and found that the piston was all broken up in the bottom end. the cylinder was scarred all over. so i was thinking about getting a new motor but i dont want that crappy 200 motor... then i got the idea to put a YZ490 motor on it. i dont know much about it and i was wondering if anyone knows how hard it would be to make. i know the yz490 is air cooled so i wont have to worry about a radiator. would it work? does anyone know where i can get one? thanks

RedRider_AK
07-27-2007, 03:16 AM
I've seen people do it... kinda sounds like suicide unless you are planning on putting better suspension on it, you can get into some pretty deep dog crap with the stock shocks and that much speed.

icp4life162005
07-27-2007, 07:14 AM
check the PA craigslist i seen a 490 on there last not and i dont think the price was to bad.

Louis Mielke
07-27-2007, 07:48 AM
I would go for something just a tad smaller. Look for a 300cc 2-stroke. Or maybe just a 400.

Bryan Raffa
07-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I have seen a 490 in a blaster, tri z and a warrior..take a peak over at everything2stroke.com..you will find what your lookin for.. and it will have to be a 85 and up 490 motor or you will have to hack up the frame to run a pipe

brapp
07-27-2007, 09:45 AM
i used an 85 it490 for the conversion i did a fe wyears back it handled like crap and was way toomuch power for the chasis and i couldnt keep bolt sin it it would vibarate it to piecesif ridden for any long period sof time. but unfortunatly i smacked it into the sid eof a mountain and demolishe dit but i was ahead of the banshee i was racing lol

Sour Diesel
07-27-2007, 12:17 PM
yea i know a kid with a banshee who wants to race and i also know a kid with a bombardier ds650 i wanna try to beat.

oldsking86
07-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Haha ummmm I think you need something better then a blaster to compete with those bikes.. It'll take a lot owrk and moeny to make the blaster competitive with them

BigGreenMachine
07-27-2007, 07:50 PM
I think a 490 Blaster would be awsome though some counter measures to take care of some vibration would definately be smart. Balance and weld the crank and use handlebar slugs for sure.

Other then that its something that has been done before so you can copy someone if that would be easier for you.

If not a 490 then how about a nice counterbalanced Honda 250R motor?

Either way you will need to extend the swingarm and it would be wise to gusset the frame.

I think the 490 would be awsome and somewhat stock looking if done right. a sleeper in all regards.

I know my 500 Kawi looks like a stock 250 to anyone that doesn't know better.

Bryan Raffa
07-27-2007, 09:36 PM
my 490 dont vibrate any more than my tri z... I think..and yes they do look like a stock bike if done right!!

sandpuppi101
07-27-2007, 10:34 PM
I helped a buddy of mine do up a 490 / Blaster conversion,probably about 12 year's ago.The frame was modded pretty heavy on the bottom of the cradle and the exhaust was ran out the side and hooked up to the footpeg.That machine was constantly breaking bolt's,then it broke the mount's and it vibrated so bad that after riding it for a few minute's ,your arm's felt like you had arm pump and rode a 20 lap moto.We even tried rubber on the mount's which helped but by that time he was discusted with the machine and sold it,I think it went to Ohio.It's alot of motor for that chasis if you ask me BuTTTT,I love to see conversion's.

Sour Diesel
07-29-2007, 09:43 PM
yea i have talked to alot of people who have told me that, one guy suggested using a IT465 because he says it vibrates less and is more reliable.

scooterroo
07-30-2007, 02:51 PM
everyone downs the capabilities of the 2 stroke 200 blaster. they can be made into quite the little snot rockets. up it to a 240, shave the head, port and polish, 34mm carb and intake, aftermarket exhaust...a few more goodies here and there, and they can be fun fun fun. trust me i just got done redoing my blaster, and im not complaining at all. i was even walking on 400ex's and z400's at the pit i ride this weekend. and had quite a few people asking me what the hell i i was riding, cuz 1. it doesnt look anything like your common stock blaster, and 2. it doesnt sound like any common stock blaster. if it were me i'd redo the blaster motor. you could even always find yourself a dt200 topend and wiring harness, and radiator setup, and turn it into a liquid cooled blaster thats throwing out double the horses of a stock aircooled blaster. just a suggestion.

Sour Diesel
07-30-2007, 07:13 PM
yea i have seen a of blaster that was bored over to a 250, and it kicked ass. but my engine is real bad... just yesterday i was looking at it and i found 3 spots that have already been JB welded(not by me). if i were to do that, i would need to find another motor and i figure why spend all that money buying the motor and buying all those parts then rebuilding it when i can just buy a bigger motor that goes faster and all i gotta do is some modifications.

BigGreenMachine
07-31-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm sure you could find Blaster engine parts cheap enough. Though if I were you I'd sell whats left of that motor and pick up a used YZ490 motor/complete bike and sell what you don't use.

The major parts to work on are the Blaster brakes (get some hydro rears if your going with the bigbore 490) and the 490 head mod to prevent detonation.

Mike_Ham_250R
08-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Do a YZ250 engine. A new one will be darn near as powerful and way easier to fit in the frame. I think Tri-Z Jim did that way back in the day when he was still into quads and 3 wheelers.

EDIT: It wasn't Tri-Z Jim but someone did it.

jeffatc250r
08-07-2007, 11:33 PM
I say go for the 490!

BigGreenMachine
08-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Agreed! The vibes aren't going to kill you and we all love a sleeper.