PDA

View Full Version : Boat carb question

Banage
07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
I just got a 1970 40hp johnson. The carb dumps fule into it untill it floods out, and dies. After about 50 seconds, it will restart run for 30 seconds and repeat. Im thinking a float is stuck, But I dont want to take it apart, for fear of not getting it back together. I have no book on it or diagram. I thank you for any help.

Bryan Raffa
07-30-2007, 09:15 PM
I have a 77 70hp tripple carb.. your gonna have to take them off and clean them,, boat carbs get crapped up from sittin all winter pretty easy... take lots of pictures to aid you on assmbley.. there really not that hard.. if your carbs are anything like mine there is a drain on the front of the bowl that you should drain in the fall..as running it out of gas does not get all the gas out of the bowl..pretty shure the floats are plastic.. if its been sitting a long time with gas in the carb Im positive the needle is stuck! few cans of carb cleaner and some compressed air do the trick..be shure to totally dissassmble the carb and clean.. good luck

oh when ya do it.. do one carb at at time.. then you will have the other carb to look at if you get in a bind

Banage
08-01-2007, 12:19 PM
thanks for the advise. im goint over to my buddies later today and he is helping.

riverrat
08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
1970 might have a cork float that is shot and sinking, and you will need to buy a rebuild kit, like $25.

Or, you might get lucky, and just clean it out.

Mr. Clean
08-02-2007, 03:30 PM
The float in my buddies Mercury had a pinhole and would fill up with gas and do the same as you described. New float and the problem was solved. The carb was no more complicated than my 250r carb......Good luck.

Banage
08-03-2007, 10:49 PM
It is a cork float, do them actually sink? I know it was rebuilt 20 years ago after it went under. I was told its just the jets way off. Imma mess with that hopefully tomorrow.

riverrat
08-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Cork floats will break down over time, and lose there buoyancy.
It happened to me, with a 69 40hp.