PDA

View Full Version : Suspension mods for a 250r

3WheelHouston
10-24-2002, 02:51 AM
What suspension mods are available for the 250r? I saw something about showa shocks on .org and I hadn't thought about suspension mods for the upcoming project. Anyone know?

Billy Golightly
10-24-2002, 09:46 AM
Quite a while ago there was a Mugen rear shock on ebay for the ATC250R. First time I'd ever seen one before. Finding one of those would be extremely hard but worth it. I'm going to be running a CR500 suspension all around on the 500X. It will be very tall though, which is of course not the best setup for a trike.

86waterpumper
10-24-2002, 10:06 AM
As far as I know, mugen are the only ones to make a front fork upgrade for the 250r, there are several ones for the rear shock, anything should work that is made for a trx250r, axis, works, etc. Some of us here have the mugen kits, I bought one off ebay awhile back, as did Mr. atc, kimmer250r, and merriman, not sure if he posts here or just on .org, I bought them because my fork seals were shot anyway and they are so much more noticeable on the bike than the rear shock is. I would like to find the mugen rear shock just to have a match. Showa shocks would not in themselves be any upgrade on a R, the stock stock and forks are showa, when mr. atc took my forks off at haspin it had a small showa sticker right on the slider. Main benefit to the mugen kits are adjustability like on the newer dirtbikes, instead of the very limited adjustment you can get by changing oil height or viscosity. I'd snatch a set up though if I wanted one, the main guy I know that was selling them all on kimmers auction he said last one you'll see on here haha. Sudco sold them a few months back and the rear shocks too at bargain basement prices, another wrong place wrong time :(

MR ATC
10-24-2002, 02:29 PM
at one time Terrycable made a fork kit for all the big ATC's as well as TRI-Z and tecate's they consisted off longer damping rods that increased travel. unfortunatly they are no longer avalible. the Mugan Kits talked about are showa modifed parts. they too are no longer avalible but can be found. (ebay). there is still one optional part still avalible for 250R forks. Progressive Suspension still offers H.D. springs.

As for rear shocks i am fortunate enough that i have a mugan shock to match my mugan fork kit but, they too are hard to find. but aftermarket shocks are still avalible. i personally recomend WORKS shocks i have used them for years and love them. the only downside of any aftermarket shock is price. expect to pay 500-800 $

10-24-2002, 02:32 PM
hmmm interesting, how much did the terrycable kit increase travel by?

MR ATC
10-25-2002, 08:07 AM
about a 1/2" it might not seem like a lot but it allows you to run more oil and more preload on your springs. i have them in my 350X and one of my 250R sets of forks they make a big differance. i myself make copies of them and sell them to my customers but it gets expensive to do and most don't want to spend that much for fork improvments.