PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacers????

Groundworx
08-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I am going to be giving my 400EX some much needed attention here in the next couple of weeks. I don't ride a lot and I really don't ride that hard anymore. I will be putting on some plastic, new rims and tires, and probably a stage1 cam. I used to have a TRX250R. It had the extended axle and the wider control arms. I really liked the way it handled. I don't want to drop a ton of money in an older 400EX that I don't really ride alot.

What is honestly the downfalls of wheel spacers? I had a TRI-Z that had a set on the back and I never had a problem with them. I know that it probably puts more stress on your front bearings, but does it really hurt them under normal driving conditions? I have seen a set on Ebay from CJR racing. They are basically 4 spacers that thread down on each wheel stud. I don't jump that much, but I do like to do donuts and slide around. What are some of your opinions and experiences with wheel spacers????

NOS_350X
08-07-2007, 02:10 AM
On the front your berrings will go out before you know it. On the rear its no big deal. I would never even think of them on the front.

SWIGIN
08-07-2007, 10:59 AM
yeah , spacers on the front is a no no.

you will get a TON of bump steer as well

hondahaulic
08-07-2007, 02:28 PM
yea wheel spacers on the front would cause way too much bump steer but they should be ok on the rear if you dont do any crazy jumps. if you wanna widen the front without paying for longer A-arms, i would check out the widening kits at http://www.diamondjcustoms.com/new/index.htm. they seem like they would work pretty good but i have no experience with them. if you have access to the right tools you may be able to make the kit yourself.

Groundworx
08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I have looked at that Diamond J kit. I thought the same thing. Looks like it would do the job. I might just keep an eye on ebay and see if I can find a used set of extended A-arms. Now that I think back, I have never seen a set on the front either. I knew that it couldn't be good on the bearings. I never thought about it affecting the steering, but that makes sense...

cr480r
08-11-2007, 06:08 AM
I don't want to drop a ton of money in an older 400EX that I don't really ride alot... I don't jump that much, but I do like to do donuts and slide around. What are some of your opinions and experiences with wheel spacers????

Have you considered lowering the bike? Or lower profile tires?

yeah , spacers on the front is a no no.

you will get a TON of bump steer as well

I agree... from my experiences... on some machines even just 1" wider on the front can make the bump steer horrible...

Groundworx
08-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I thought about lowering it a little. I trail ride more than anything else though and I don't want any clearance issues. I will probably just leave the stock stance front and rear for now.

oldsking86
08-12-2007, 10:11 PM
yea if you want a wide front then you'll need an A arm kit for that ;) For the rear spacers will def make a difference