PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous Oxide Sistem on 86R?

torker
08-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Can someone here show me how to install a NITROUS OXIDE sistem on my 250R?
I have no clue how to do it on a 2 stroke.

1. How to power the selenoids? (I know there are 12 volts somewhere)
2. Where to put the fogger(s) and how to do it reliably and well?
3. It needs to be simple (it will be temporary)
4. 10-15 h.p. Will the stock clutch live with this?
5. Does someone have detail pics that I can take a look at?

Can any one help me or guide me through this?

It needs to be ready in 2 weeks. I know it will not be the fastest but it maybe the only trike at this sand drags (I have not sand dragged in 15-20 years), Search for "pics from back in the day". There will be at least 1,000 banshees and I want to spank some banshee but!!!!!!!! Just want a bit more power.

Please help.
Thanks
TORKER.

pickleweasel_00
08-08-2007, 08:37 PM
never heard of that being done... No helpful instructions but a couple things to think about. First, you're gonna need another fuel feed for the install, gotta mix fuel with the nitrous when it's injected. Probably want to put the nozzle just forward of the carburetor somewhere. Not sure how to power reliably unless you want to hide a battery on there somewhere. But you will need a pump for the fuel half of the sytem I beleive, probably needs to be under pressure to work. Not sure if it would work on your three wheeler but let us know if and how it works :beer

Black86tri-z
08-08-2007, 09:16 PM
dont use a wet, kit use a dry kit, a real kit for a atv cost around 550 (if you were to use that route use the boondockers kit not the nos) but if its only tempory i would try 1 of those ghetto nos kits on ebay there only like 20 and 20 to ship, its worth the try for that price!

maby use 1 of those sneaky pete's car kits and adapt it, also remember with nitrous, use a decent size shot because if u use a pussy amount the hit won't b there and it won't mix rite and give you what your lookin for!
use a colder plug and run it rich,tell us how u make out!

NITROUS WILL NOT BLOW YOUR ENGINE WHEN INSTALLED PROPERLY IT WILL ONLY EXCELLERATE WEAR!

vegas250rr
08-09-2007, 02:26 AM
werent "Sneaky Petes" made for motorcycle use ?

hrc85250r
08-09-2007, 09:45 PM
black86, you have it backwards, you don't want a dry kit, you want a wet kit. the wet kit uses fuel and nitrous into the nozzle whereas dry only uses nitrous and is for EFI bikes that can compensate to a point with the stock injectors. if you are building a kit, you will need a nozzle, jets, line, fuel pump, NOS and fuel solenoids, relays, on/off switch and a battery. you will be running the NOS off of a precharged battery unless you have an aftermarket stator that has the beans to keep a battery charged. as far as being simple, its impossible to make it a 5 min swap to take it off or put it on. the best place to put the nozzle is directly behind the reed cage in the intake boot(between carb and reeds), you cannot run carbon reeds with NOS as the freezing effect will cause them to crack and break, use fiberglass. also you might want to run some HD clutch springs, but if your clutch kit is fairly new you should be fine, stock clutchs can handle ~45hp to the rear wheel with no problem. dont try a sneaky pete or one of those 20$ ebay kits, it will blow the reeds out of your motor, possibly cause a fire or explosion, and it will instantly bog your motor down with no power boost at all. i've seen it done.

vegas250rr
08-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I saw someone somewhere that had their electronics stowed away in a 6pack cooler... you might try that route to hide all the batteries and selenoids and then just run your lines out the bottome of the cooler.

BigGreenMachine
08-09-2007, 10:00 PM
A six pack rack with the battery/pump stored inside would be pretty sneaky.

Black86tri-z
08-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Why is the nitrous injected before the carburetors in the airbox instead of after as in conventional Nitrous systems?

A: After extensive testing, Rocky Young found it very difficult to get consistent results when injecting nitrous and fuel together in the conventional way (often resulting in engine damage). Then Rocky discovered that by injecting nitrous into the airbox, the engine consumed only the nitrous that was needed when it was needed, and by increasing pressure inside the carburetor float bowl at the same time, extra fuel could be delivered simultaneously. This was the only way he could produce consistent and reliable results using nitrous on a snowmobile - ventures into far off, hard to reach powder bowls could now be undertaken with confidence! Rejetting is not required, the extra fuel pump and fuel solenoid are eliminated, and the bottle heater can be eliminated (nitrous and fuel delivery both change with bottle pressure, so constant N20 pressure is not as critical). Rocky also discovered that when nitrous is sprayed from any conventional jet that is made from metal, N20 ice crystals are produced which can quickly damage an engine. Considerable time was spent researching and developing the BoonDocker Nitrous system so it will disperse nitrous evenly and consistently without creating N20 ice crystals. boondockers.com:w00t: so i guess you will have 2 try 1 and find out!

KASEY
08-09-2007, 11:00 PM
there was a guy at the rampage in florence that had nitrous on a 250r,,, it was fassssst too,,, it was all hidden in a six pack cooler,,, sneeky did i say it was fast? it was, if you want any details i can probably round the builder of the system up,,,,

NOS_350X
08-10-2007, 01:02 AM
dirt wheels did an article a few months ago about it, run it off your lighting, jump your main jet about 3 or 4 sizes up. your nitrous jet about a 16. and set up your switch to kick in off your thumb throttle when you get WOT. Thats going to be thee easyest way to do it.

Billy Golightly
08-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Checkout the 2 stroke forum on http://www.planetsand.com there are tons of guys running nitrous over there, the majority of which I've seen are wet systems injected directly into the intake AFTER the carb or even into the sides of the transfer tunnels.

Moved to the mad scientists lair BTW :)

Bryan Raffa
08-10-2007, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=Black86tri-z;520288]hey hrc250r have you ever owned a vehicle with nitrous or drove 1? i doubt it:lol:

:eek: :eek: wrong thing to say.... guess you havent seen any of there bikes with NO2 on them....:eek: :eek:

NOS_350X
08-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Checkout the 2 stroke forum on http://www.planetsand.com there are tons of guys running nitrous over there, the majority of which I've seen are wet systems injected directly into the intake AFTER the carb or even into the sides of the transfer tunnels.

Moved to the mad scientists lair BTW :)

Defently the proper way to do it. I see alot going into the transfer's i even have a cyl. That has it set up like that.

torker
08-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!!!

It will be a dry shot system. 15 horses should do it. I'll run the selenoid from the headlight plug (No headlight will be mounted). It should be OK.

I'll be posting pics of everything.

Thanks guys.
TORKER.

Jason Hall
08-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Your headlight plug will be AC voltage. You need a rectifier to convert the stock stator output to DC voltage.

torker
08-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Jason, Can you please explain???...Now I'm really lost.
Doesn't it has one already ?(the little box on the left rear)
TORKER.

toocheaptosmoke
08-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Could be the voltage regulator, you also need a rectifier to get 12v DC.

torker
08-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Can someone go into a little more detail on this?
What kind of voltage does the headlight use?
As you can see I'm not very good on electrical stuff.
Can someone clarify this?

TORKER.

toocheaptosmoke
08-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Regulator keeps the alternating current from your stator from exceeding like 12 or 14 volts, other wise it would spike up when your RPM got higher and blow out your headlight or instruments. The rectifier converts the a/c 12 volt to direct current 12 volt which is needed to run certain electronics. Your headlight runs off of the a/c right now, but the solenoid needs direct current to work. Same type thing as if you tried to run a car starter from a wall outlet. Hope that helps, I'm no electrical guru either. :lol: :beer

BigGreenMachine
08-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Heres the setup I was talking about. Also I know 3razors has NOS on his KX500 conversion.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=61800&highlight=nitrous

Jason Hall
08-12-2007, 08:31 PM
You would be best to use a Regulator / Rectifier. I used one from a Honda lawnmower to run my Nitrous solinoid's, bottle warmer, fuel pump & to charge a small Battery.

Like the other's said, Your stock headlight run's on AC, the rectifier will convert that to DC. The Regulator/Rectifier I used has a signal wire to tell the regulator how much voltage Is In the battery, It will then put out more voltage as It's needed (More Load, more voltage).

3Razors
08-13-2007, 02:19 PM
If you are looking for real nitrous power a wet NOS kit or NX express kit is needed. Boondockers is for the kids. I wouldn't try and run your solenoids off you headlights power. A small 12 volt sealed battery from a scooter will give a reliable power supply. You can also wire the micro switch into the throttle housing so that the nitrous is only injected at full throttle. Put your fogger in the intake manifold or on the transfers of the cylinder. Putting the fogger behind the carb. risks freezing the slide in the carb. Also avgas is not compatible with nitrous.

torker
08-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys, I think I got it. I think...

TORKER.

hrc85250r
08-13-2007, 11:06 PM
boondockers is for kids, like 3razors says. and it isn't a dry system, it sprays both fuel and nitrous unless it is specifically for efi. DRY ONLY WORKS WITH EFI, and even then it is limited to small amounts. wet is the only way to go and if torker, you spray "15 hp" worth of nitrous into your motor dry, it will not work, you can do it but it will not work. you will either blow your motor up and it will just bog and/or blow reeds out almost instantly. im not making this up and i have played with alot of nitrous, we go through 4-6 lbs every weekend. bottom line, spend the money to do it right or waste money and possibly pay the consequences. 3 razors knows what he talking about. i find the best place is to put the nozzle between the reed cage and the carb, run the system off of a standalone battery, and only use it at wide open, otherwise you risk the flame travelling up the "fog" of nitrous up to the nozzle. which i have also witnessed in real-life, lol....

torker
08-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Ok then. I guess that for now I'll just race without NOS as I'm a firm believer in the "do it right the first time" and enjoy it.

Thanks a lot guys!!!
3WW RULES!!!!!!!!!

TORKER.

Mike_Ham_250R
08-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Before you go ahead trying to utilize a Nitrous Oxide kit on a 2-stroke you should probably learn how to spell SYSTEM. Just my opinion.

cr480r
08-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Can nitrous be plumbed directly into the crankcase? or will it blow out the reeds? I was thinking that if it could be plumbed into the case, it would be much easier to hide the nozzle...

torker
09-03-2007, 07:25 PM
?????? I have no clue. But I do know that some systems are put directly in the transfer ports.

TORKER.

WLL
12-26-2007, 06:09 PM
nos is much better with fuel injection ,dont wast your time or money

TeamGeek6
01-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Can someone here show me how to install a NITROUS OXIDE sistem on my 250R?
" I have no clue how to do it on a 2 stroke.

1. How to power the selenoids? (I know there are 12 volts somewhere)
2. Where to put the fogger(s) and how to do it reliably and well?
3. It needs to be simple (it will be temporary)"

"

There is NOT 12 volts on that machine, its upwards of 45 volts AC when the engine is above 2400 RPM. A rectifier is NOT enough, must have a regulator also.

Learn to tune that engine and the power you get out should scare the p out of you. Nitrous is for those that cant tune an engine properly, it makes up for excess fuel which wouldnt be there if it were tuned to a tee.

Mine is a totally stock engine, including bore and stroke, and the power just blows the first 3 gears off. I cant get enough traction to use it.