PDA

View Full Version : Hello - NewB here - also new Honda 3 wheeler owner - question

MotorCity
08-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Hello all,

First time poster. My names Mike from Detroit, Michigan (the Motor City). 40 years young. MotorCity fits me as I love all things with motors - I"m into Dirt bikes (have a KTM 300 and Honda XR250R), street bikes, boats, go carts, trucks, fast cars, snowmobiles, hockey, and martial arts.

Anyway, I just picked up a very nice 1984 Honda 200S 3-wheeler.

I picked it up with the primary interest in towing my ice fishing shanty out onto the ice during Michigans hard water season. Last winter sucked pulling my new shanty out with gear, bait, beer, etc.

However, I"d like to use the 3-wheeler for putsing through the woods, getting some wind through my face, etc .

I was a bit intrigued when I read the post "child killed on atc", and the poster "damnit" posted "I'll bet he was on a hardtail 185 or 200". Well, the 200 hardtail is what I just bought.

So, my first question is:

What are the do's and dont's with this vehicle. Should I NOT go above 40 mph on a real bumpy road? Should I NOT go on steep downhills? Should I NOT (please all, you fill in the rest).

Again, I am being open minded and want to know what the limits are on doing this or that on this machine.

I remember riding my buddies 200S back in the mid 80's, and I remember having to lean on these things to turn them. I also understanding the meaning of respecting your machine and what the terrain and road is like that you're on, as I've owned Honda CR500's, Yamaha YZ490, and Kawasaki 1000R bikes.

Question 2: Does anyone have any front or rear racks that they would like to sell that would bit this 3-wheeler? If not, do you know anywhere (Dennis Kirk?) that sells a bolt on front or rear rack for the 200S?

I've seen front and rear racks mounted on the 200; I also paid a fishing guide to take me out last winter, and he had a sweet Big Red 250 with all his gear loaded on the racks, pulling a trailer with his clients on. I'd like to set mine up similarly.

Greetings from the MotorCity.

Mike

Tri-ZNate
08-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Ride it and get used to it basically. Yes they require more body english than a quad, and yes the hard tails tip easier. Basically ride within your limits. When not being ridden like your god they are just as safe as anything else. Best advise, Get Used To The Machine. They can be ridden at 2 mph or 50mph, just depends on the terrain. Have fun and :welcome: cause :TrikesOwn

And yes, Dk carries a rear rack for it. http://denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/MMYSkuDisplay.jsp;jsessionid=KCOD45SSUBH5TLA0WTKSM 4VMDK0NCIV0?leafCatId=10608&catId=106&store=Main&mmyId=7225

SYKO
08-09-2007, 08:28 AM
hola gringo! gotcha a illiegal demon death machine man! carefull those three wheelers are dangerous! the other day my 83 300R pulled a nife on me! and one other time my 85R fliped over in the front yard by itself!

......just ride man, you'll soon learn the limits of yourself and your machine, and coming from the fact that you got some bikes, you shouldnt have any problem

ceaserthethird
08-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Make sure - change oils , filters , Adjust the Valves , clean carb .

Just so it's doesn't cause any problems while your out in the woods ...

Don't forget to post some pictures !

84honda200s
08-09-2007, 12:27 PM
i had a 84 200s and it was a blast !! i also love anything with a motor but ive grown to love my trikes more than anything. ive gone up and down some pretty steep hills. ive also bin places with it that other people were not able to go. what im getting at is you need to set your own limits and get some seat time. ride responsibly and you will be fine.

as for there things to be "dangerous" and "deadly" . yea they can be. just like a quad, dirt bike, sled, jet ski, car, tractor, plane, ect. personally i dont think its the machines that are killer it the person thats driving it. he decides if he lives or dies. not the machine.

chris200x
08-09-2007, 03:03 PM
The problems (IMO) with the hardtail trikes were basically they would bounce out of control at high speeds. Usually with the rear tires bouncing and throwing the rider.

I witnessed something like this last summer with a kid on a Yami 200. (just on a plain old dirt road) Going to fast for the terrian the rear tires bounced up and he flipped over the bars. You just gotta use some common sense.

Once you learn how to ride it. That little hardtail will be without a doubt one of the funnest machines you've ever rode. :naughty:

:welcome:

edog
08-09-2007, 04:33 PM
hola gringo! gotcha a illiegal demon death machine man! carefull those three wheelers are dangerous! the other day my 83 300R pulled a nife on me! and one other time my 85R fliped over in the front yard by itself!

......just ride man, you'll soon learn the limits of yourself and your machine, and coming from the fact that you got some bikes, you shouldnt have any problem

You are just to much:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the board!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tri-ZNate
08-09-2007, 06:24 PM
I witnessed something like this last summer with a kid on a Yami 200. (just on a plain old dirt road) Going to fast for the terrian the rear tires bounced up and he flipped over the bars. You just gotta use some common sense.

Yeah woopdepop got going a little full bore through a rithum (I cant spell) section. Oh and Chris, the coal is still very visible under the skin :lol:. One of the first black booger crew guys.

ScottZJ
08-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Welcome to the boards. Its cool no matter what age to have an old school trike. The 200 has great pulling/towing power for what you are wanting. They are great all around bikes but they arent the best for super long rides. Your old bones (like mine hehe) will be hurtin something fierce. You have a couple years on me in age so I assume you are a wise man (made it thru your childhood haha), just ride it smart just like your bikes. Hit the hills straight on and not an at angle, lean in the hard turns to keep the tires on the ground and just be smart on all situations.
Oh nice set of bikes there. Sounds like you have the perfect combination. I currently have a sweet KTM 300EXC and I absolutely love it, great power and really fun in the woods. Be safe man............peace

johnny's X
08-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the boards. You just have to respect what you are on and get used to riding it. And with everthing else maintain your machine and being a honda you will rarely have problems with it.. Its not like those Yamahas hahahaha jk boys

MotorCity
08-10-2007, 06:00 PM
250SXwheeliepop,

Tell me about your 6.9L running on veggie oil. I've been interested in finding an old 6.9 or 7.3L and doing the veggie oil thing. Understand you need (2) tanks, one good ole regular diesel, and one veggei. Switch off regualr diesel before shutdown and after warm up.

Scott,
Thanks for the feedback. I love my KTM. Its actually a 1994, and still mint. Last thing I bought new before I got married. I just restored my 1987 XR250R last winter, its actually a 300R, courtesy of Thumper Racing. They bored out my lower crankcase, bored the cylinder and fit a very thin liner to accept the 80 mm piston. I threw in a new crank and rod and all new bearings while I was at it. I kept the cam stock so I have tons of low end torque. Love riding the woods here in Michigan with these bikes.

I'm looking forward to playing around with this ATC200S, maybe dragging my daughter and friends around on sleds in the winter, ice fishing, hauling some stuff with it, just tooling around exploring, hitting some mud, etc.

I love old school big time.

Mike

chris200x
08-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah woopdepop got going a little full bore through a rithum (I cant spell) section. Oh and Chris, the coal is still very visible under the skin :lol:. One of the first black booger crew guys.

It'll be there quite a bit longer. I still have it in my forearms from 15 years ago! :eek: