PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Champ Drum to Disk conversion

junkrider
08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
I have a Yamaha Champ 100 (1985) my 8 year old rides. Awesome ride, reliable as heck, enough power for him but not too much power.

The design of this bike hasn't changed in 20 years, but I'd like to update the front brakes by going to hydraulic disks. Has anyone here ever attempted this?

Anyone have recommendations for easily swapped parts?

I have above average mechanical skills, my own mig welder, basic machinist hand tools (taps, dies, dials, etc) and a very well equipped garage including a press, compressor, etc. So, I'm not afraid of the job just because it might be a little tough.

That being said, anyone have a wrecked chassis or junk bike that still has the front brake system intact?

Thanks!

SYKO
08-13-2007, 01:38 PM
I think it will be more trouble than its worth, I got my little cuz's a badger 80 a few years ago, the best thing that could happen to it.... buy a junk chinesse quad of ebay (bown engine or trans) and cut the front portion of the frame off and use it, some of those quads come with great suspension and brakes/shocks on the front that would be the best thing to do in my op.

junkrider
08-13-2007, 05:23 PM
I think it will be more trouble than its worth

I understand what you are saying, however the bike is in great condition and $$$PAID$$$ for, and I can't no-how/no-way afford new bike with discs, and I wont touch a chinese bike, even for parts, quite honestly, because every single chinese bike I've seen has been junk. Don't get me wrong, they look really nice when new, and they are cheap, but damn, what junk!

I like the idea of getting a donor bike and taking the front end off. I've given it more thought, and basically, the only tough part would be getting the caliper brackets to fit up. The actual rotors/hub assembly should be a matter of getting the right bearings from McAllister, provided the spindle is long enough. The wheels would have to come off the donor bike, to clear the calipers, and the caliper bracket would have to be modified or fabricated.

I do have an alt-125 too, that has no brakes in front from factory, or even a suspension, so that one I'd like to weld the A-arms and all.

Thanks for your input! :)

SYKO
08-13-2007, 09:32 PM
dont mess up the alt! I got one to I love that little turd! (even though its for sale) if drums are working properly they have better stoping power than the discs, but they will fade out faster and get crud in them easier

junkrider
08-13-2007, 10:07 PM
dont mess up the alt! I got one to I love that little turd! (even though its for sale) if drums are working properly they have better stoping power than the discs, but they will fade out faster and get crud in them easier

Yes. It is an awfully ugly little bike, too light in the front. This particular warthog has been bastardized by the previous owner, including missing pieces (the little dash pieces) and fenders are trimmed, rear and front fenders painted 3 different colors. But... the darn thing fires right up and is an awesome rock crawler- I think due to the light front end! My kids couldn't believe what I could climb with it. The neighbor kid laughed at it, then I climbed a boulder in the back yard, nice slow and easy, and the kid couldn't believe it. Said he wanted to buy it.

Anyway, enough raving. I'd still like to put front brakes on it, but jesus, you are right. It is a cool little bike. Maybe some new fenders and I'd love it more.

$150 on ebay... can't really go wrong.