PDA

View Full Version : 250R alcohol conversion

Jarrod
08-19-2007, 01:10 PM
I have a 1983 ATC 250R project trike,I have a Hondaline 300 Kit with new 6 over piston,rings,etc.
I want to set it up to burn alcohol and use it for drag racing only...
what do I need to do?
--carb size?
--Jets?
--Pipe?

Just need a little help to get pointed in the right direction...
thanks

200x newby
08-19-2007, 02:00 PM
on my blaster i had i used the stock carb and was told to double your jet size that is in the carb when running on gas and thats how you convert it but you must drain your carb after every ride/race so it doesnt gum up.

Jarrod
08-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the info....
I have a couple of more questions:
--should I shave the head to up the compression ? ( I have a spare set )
--do I need to change the fuel line?
--How much 2 cycle oil do I need to use ( what ratio?,brand? )
--What about the spark plug do I need a colder or hotter plug?gap?I plan on racing this R at a local drag strip 1/8 mile.if it runs and has wheels they will let you run it there.
I have found a set of slicks( from a junior dragster)and have a set of wheelie bars off of a drag car I plan on modifying to fit the rear swing arm.
I just need to get the engine combo down.
thanks for all of the input

200x newby
08-21-2007, 08:01 PM
you dont have to shave the head but if you want a little more umph then you can. same size fuel line. alcohol burns colder so you would want a hotter plug. i mixed it like gas so just regular mix amount is good. i use belray in all my 2 stroke engines.

Jarrod
08-21-2007, 10:48 PM
thanks again
:)

viper
08-22-2007, 12:04 AM
not no but hell no ...alky is a very dry burning fuel so it does require more oil than just a gas mix ..use 5oz per gallon...i would recomend using klotz benoil , klots supertecna plate or maxima castor . i prefer klotz oil because it makes the fuel red so you anlaya know its mixed .. for best results get a good carb that has a alky conversion done to it .38mm to 40mm carb would be good personally i like ftz carbs www.ftzracing.com and several like the alky carbs from dennis packard ....either would be a good choice . ....parts unlimited has a very good fuel line that is urethane use that ...can order it at any bike shop ..alky will eat normal gas line and make it hard .... ngk b8egv plug gapped @.17thou ....and you would be better off milling the head if running any type of race fuel ...unsure who makes a drag pipe for a airfooler but i would try ftz again for that ... ........................hope this helps you out !!!!!!!!

atcsteve
09-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Viper is right,about the alky! ! I did do a drag pipe on a 81r but had to use a 85/85 250r exhaust flange!! If I remember right,you have to mill the one side of it to make it flat,then it fits.Be careful and have your jetting right with alky and a drag pipe on a air-cooled bike,It can get hot and go "pop" real easy!!!

Jarrod
09-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks again everyone.I haven't had time to work on it here latley
Football season is here so between practice and games I have NO free time...

RideRed250R
09-30-2007, 02:43 PM
u do know alky isnt going to run right on your bike right? i am not going to tell u *Edited**Edited* going to make all this more horsepower, the price is expensive for the fuel, your carb is going to about 300 bucks new and in the end your looking at a 10 to 15 percent increase. To run alky, u must have a cylinder and head that is set up for alky, port degree duration must be taken into effect, your head must be milled to help with compression of the new fuel, and heres were everyone leaves the room.... your bottom end is probably going to be toast in half the life span. Alky is a incredibly corrosive fuel, it loves to eat anything rubber(I.E fuel line, seals, o rings). u have a great bike to work with, if u actually go to drag tracks u will have respect for what it is, but, i would have it race ported for 108 or 110 and go from there and then see if you want to deal with alky, its not a easy fuel to deal with, and if *Edited**Edited* off AT ALL on your oil mixture your motor can go, also, alot of people on alky have to run a fuel pump.
Adam

Jarrod
09-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks Adam....
The more I think about it the more I think I don't want to fool with it....
I mean alky is cool and all but I think I will mill my spare head down, up the compression and run high octane fuel...
I am not trying o have the fastest thing on 3 wheels...I just want the extra "go" when I need it...
No more than I ride it I will probably need to run stabil in the gas...LOL

thanks again everyone

Liquid-Darkness
10-29-2007, 06:21 PM
These Honda two strokes make a nice jump in power with a few more psi of compression. The waterpumpers run great at 200psi and 110 race gas. A bigger carb and head work would make it run smooth. Gotta have an exhaust thats worth a hoot.