PDA

View Full Version : cr-atc 125r

jeffatc250r
09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, i have a 84 cr125 sitting in my shed doing nothing, main reason being is its a dirt bike. Ive had lots of dirt bikes in the past but now i feel a little goofy on them, i like the 3rd wheel. So,.. i was thinking about converting this little turd into a trike. My first initial problem is finding a swingarm that will fit, i measured up one from a liquid 250r and its too wide, does anyone know what the width of a 200x swinger is?? I have a set of 200x tripples that i can use, also have a set of 84 250r forks, i will have to bore the tripples a little to get them in. I also have a front brake assy, front tire, rim, hub, axle, rear tires. I have a spare 250r rear axle. Another thing im somewhat concerned about is the rear shock, i have a spare liquid r rear shock, but im not really sure about how everything will line up. My other concern is chain alignment. Im not going to dive into this until i hear from you guys thoughts on it. Has anyone ever done this? Any other problems im missing? If i do happen to go ahead and do this it is going to be a low-budget project using mainly the extra parts i have kickin around at home.

oldsking86
09-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Now that would be an idea!! We wanted to do this with an old kx100 we had... Your main issue will be the rear assembly but im not sure the width of a 200x, somebody will chime in with that

jeffatc250r
09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Well just for haha's i took the front end off and realized that it had the tapered insert bearings instead of the ball bearings like the 200x has, so i ruled out the 200x clamp idea. After a little digging i found the bottom half of a liquid clamp, couldnt find a top half though. Aside from needing stops welded on, the stem is a bit shorter on the r set-up. I think the stems can be pressed out, if this is the case i will just swap them, if not i will cut and add a piece to make up the difference. I was also thinking about the rear end, i have a spare 450r swinger that could be cut and grafted to the stock cr swinger so i can use the cr rear shock and linkage, but i really dont want to hack it up, but its there if push comes to shove and i decide to go ahead with this and cant come up with any other ideas.

team-red-rider
09-06-2007, 08:30 PM
try an 83/84 250R tripple

jeffatc250r
09-06-2007, 10:35 PM
I went ahead and decided to go for it. I used the liquid r bottom tripple by cutting and adding a inch to the shaft, came out good. I had a spare set of forks so i threw them on. Dont mind the picked front tire, the hub just happened to be mounted to that rim and im just using it for mock anyway. I have a front tire and rim already that i will be using. For kicks i threw on a set of fenders and a seat to see how it would look, not too bad i guess. I will have to make a latch assy and some supports for the seat so it has something to rest on. Still waiting for someone to chime in with the 200x swinger width so feel free to join in! :beer

Yamada
09-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Things move quick!!!. is the cr 125 lightweight???

jeffatc250r
09-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Things move quick!!!. is the cr 125 lightweight???

Not really sure how much a stock one weighs, does seem light though. Should be a little screamer when its all said and done i hope.

Black86tri-z
09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
KOOL PROJECT,were in mass do you live?, ride?

4cylinders
09-06-2007, 11:07 PM
hey, if you have a 200x, use the sub-frame for the seat etc..

jeffatc250r
09-06-2007, 11:29 PM
KOOL PROJECT,were in mass do you live?, ride?

I live in central mass, near the quabbin resivour. I dont have a 200x frame, i had one but tossed it about a year ago Dammit

jeffatc250r
09-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Im not sure if you all are going to be able to decipher what i am trying to show in the picture, but ill try to explain. I clamped a straight edge to the stock 125 swinger to show where the chain alignment falls, i put the cr swinger atop of a 450r swinger i was contemplating hacking and grafting to the 125 swinger. If you look closely i aligned the straight edge to the rear sprocket hub on the 450 swinger, as you can see to make the chain alignment correct it is going to throw the 450 carrier way off to the right. This i dont like. I can put one of the axle spacers that slide on near the hubs to one side and the other side the opposite to gain 5/8 of an inch, but the wheels will still be around 3/8 inch off to one side. I knew things were going to easy and i was going to run into some sort of problem! The more i think about it, i really would like to graft 2 swingers together, reason being is the rear shock assy is offset to one side. Maybee a narrower carrier assy would work better?

jeffatc250r
09-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Well im not having much fun trying to make a swinger for this turd. I had it set in my mind to use the front half of the cr swinger and the rear half of a 450r swinger and graft them together. I loaded up both the swingers to do the welding along with a 450r link that i wanted to shorten a bit for my 250r with the 450r rear end on it to make it sit up a little better. Well the shortening of the link was a disaster, seems as though it does not like to be welded. I dont weld aluminum but i happen to be good friends with someone who does, he is very good and has been a pro welder fabricater for 40 something years, well like i said the link wont take a weld and it seems the 450 swinger is made of the same crap. After seeing the mess it made of the link i backed out of cutting and trying to weld a nice swingarm. So......its back to the drawing boards, someone please shoot me some ideas!!!!:beer :beer :beer

370banshee
09-10-2007, 10:34 PM
take the measurements and make a 4130 chromoly swinger for it

jeffatc250r
09-10-2007, 10:44 PM
take the measurements and make a 4130 chromoly swinger for it

But im lazy and cobbling up 2 swingers is so much easier! :lol: Your prob right and i should just bite the bullet and make something that will look nice.

cr480r
09-11-2007, 02:51 AM
But im lazy and cobbling up 2 swingers is so much easier! :lol: Your prob right and i should just bite the bullet and make something that will look nice.

I think it would be easier to build a custom one... new material... clean slate... design a simple lightweight swinger to fit your exact needs...

icp4life162005
09-11-2007, 04:09 AM
how much would a chromoly swinger cost to have fabbed up? I would want one for my quad is why I asked.

370banshee
09-11-2007, 08:50 AM
couple hundred bucks..

jeffatc250r
09-11-2007, 05:32 PM
how much would a chromoly swinger cost to have fabbed up? I would want one for my quad is why I asked.

The material isnt that much, if your able to do it yourself your looking at under 40 bux.

jeffatc250r
09-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Well i think i got the swinger issue figured out. It is going to be offset a bit but anything short of major mods to the motor location this is what its going to have to be. For the axle carrier housing on the back of the swinger im going to pretty much duplicate the design on the 450 swinger out of aluminum and weld it to it. I attached a pic of it somewhat layed out, it will look alot better after everything gets welded and gusseted up. Im also debating laying a sheet on both the top and bottom to box it all in for added strength. I got the rear fenders figured out, they came out better than i had imagined, the stock cr seat fits right into the valleys of the plastic perfectly! Almost looks factory :w00t: The fenders were originally on a 200sx quad that i had gotton for parts, a little trimming and that was it. I have a little bit of sanding on the edges to do so they dont look cut. I should have the rear part of the swinger turned and finished by this weekend, then the welding done sometime early next week.

370banshee
09-16-2007, 12:43 PM
well the swinger ain't gonna be pretty but it'll work.

damageinc2785
09-17-2007, 08:23 PM
im trying to do the same thing with a 89' cr80
how is it going?

jeffatc250r
09-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Its goin, So what are you using for a rear end and forks for your 80? Lets see some pics!

damageinc2785
09-25-2007, 07:28 AM
i might be giving up on using the cr80 frame. the chain won't line up with the rear axle.

jeffatc250r
09-25-2007, 01:57 PM
i might be giving up on using the cr80 frame. the chain won't line up with the rear axle.

Ha, ya thats my problem, its going to be ugly but it will work!

jeffatc250r
10-01-2007, 02:44 PM
I know i should of had the swinger done by now, its almost done, just havent really had time to go and finish it :rolleyes: I did however make some progress, a fellow member hooked me up with the top tripple tree and front fender. I still need a few parts though like the mounting hardware for the front fender, the brake line hoop that mounts to the bottom tripple, brake line, front brake caliper. Im also trying to decide what to do for footpegs, was thinking cut the cleats off of a set from a ex or 450r or something and just welding them onto the cr pegs.

jeffatc250r
10-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Well, i got the housing for the axle carrier, and got it tacked up to the swinger. The carrier housing came out mint! Well the swinger is gonna be a little different looking, but it will work nonetheless. Gonna get the welding finished up tomm night hopefully. Now that i got it on, i now see another issue, the ride height :rolleyes: its a bit tall. Im not really sure what i want to do about this, i could make a new subframe, modify this one and cuss and curse about getting the airbox in the correct spot, or get a whole subframe out of like a 200x. The pro's of using the x subframe would be a grab bar, a real seat and fenders, not so sure how the air box thing will pan out with it, but its a thought. What do you guys think?

bassman
10-14-2007, 08:06 PM
You have to realize that this board isn't one that many visit.

DarkestGKnight
10-14-2007, 08:09 PM
hey ive been watching *Edited**Edited* progrest on the trike but havent comment but i think it looks sweet some far!

TwoHundredEx
10-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Thats looking really good.
For the height, is there any way you could tilt the shock forward to drop the height a bit?
On my 200X, I tilted the shock back for a little extra height, and all I had to do was make a couple of new mounts. Not sure if it would work in your case, but it's a thought.

firefirefire90
10-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I was thinking about putting a CR125 in a 200x. I like this route a whole lot better.

Sorry about all us not responding.

That swinger looks really trick! I would keep the ride height. I think it will work out when you sit on it?

Louis Mielke
10-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Well im not having much fun trying to make a swinger for this turd. I had it set in my mind to use the front half of the cr swinger and the rear half of a 450r swinger and graft them together. I loaded up both the swingers to do the welding along with a 450r link that i wanted to shorten a bit for my 250r with the 450r rear end on it to make it sit up a little better. Well the shortening of the link was a disaster, seems as though it does not like to be welded. I dont weld aluminum but i happen to be good friends with someone who does, he is very good and has been a pro welder fabricater for 40 something years, well like i said the link wont take a weld and it seems the 450 swinger is made of the same crap. After seeing the mess it made of the link i backed out of cutting and trying to weld a nice swingarm. So......its back to the drawing boards, someone please shoot me some ideas!!!!:beer :beer :beer

Its definetly possible to weld the two stockers together, I already did it. It is though, very difficult to get the sprockets lined up. I ended up using a spocket spacer. Welding the cast arms takes some finess. I did all the cutting but had a friend do the welding and he said it wasn't easy.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/500/armbling.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/500/armstacked.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/500/exarmcut.jpg

jeffatc250r
10-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Thats looking really good.
For the height, is there any way you could tilt the shock forward to drop the height a bit?
On my 200X, I tilted the shock back for a little extra height, and all I had to do was make a couple of new mounts. Not sure if it would work in your case, but it's a thought.

Thanks for the thought, but i really dont want to screw around with the geometry of the suspension, i think im going to try and modify the down tubes on the subframe (shorten them) to get the rear to come down a bit. If i can get the seat to be leval i will be happy, its just that it points upward in the back. If it doesnt work out well i will either make a custom one, or find a 200x frame i can scab the subframe from. Im kickin my self in the ass for getting rid of a 200x frame i had, it was broken badly in a couple spots in the cradle, but would have been a great doner for a subframe. Let this be a lesson, NEVER THROW OUT ANYTHING!!!!

SYKO
10-15-2007, 07:43 PM
first for your ride hight, get that swinger together then sit on it!!, with sag taken into account it may sit just right! if you go an mod it right now you could sit on it and be riding dirty!!

jeffatc250r
10-15-2007, 10:58 PM
first for your ride hight, get that swinger together then sit on it!!, with sag taken into account it may sit just right! if you go an mod it right now you could sit on it and be riding dirty!!

I got a feeling its still going to be too high, when it was in bike form it didnt sag too much. I will wait until the swinger is done to get final measurments of course though. The swinger is over half welded up as of right now, just a few more beads tomm and i can throw it back in. I cant wait to ride this little *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**E dited*!

factoryX
10-16-2007, 04:13 AM
it will be cool to see...

steven 250sx
10-16-2007, 01:51 PM
wow man well done sweet trike

Nightbiker07
10-16-2007, 02:19 PM
who said you had to use a Trike swingarm?
a quad swinger would have also worked, and you may have been able to find something that would just bolt right on.

jeffatc250r
10-16-2007, 08:52 PM
who said you had to use a Trike swingarm?
a quad swinger would have also worked, and you may have been able to find something that would just bolt right on.

If you read the entire thread you would know nothing other than a custom setup would work,.,...:rolleyes:

TwoHundredEx
10-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Any more progress on this?
:pics:

jeffatc250r
10-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Ya, actually i got the swinger done, it came out perfect and actually dont look bad now that its all coated and on the bike. Im in the midst of moving so ive been kinda busy, so i havent got any updated pics. Also didnt think many were interested, another reason why i havent posted. Well thanks for the interest, ill get some pics up for ya asap.

motoman110
10-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Im Interested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damageinc2785
11-03-2007, 09:35 PM
me too man i need to see this

icp4life162005
11-05-2007, 02:01 AM
Lets see it already!

lokisbuddy
11-09-2007, 02:02 AM
i havent posted in a bit sorry guys. man that is one sweet trike. have you thought of raking the front end to lower the height a bit? please post pics soon!!!!!:p

jeffatc250r
11-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Well here are some pics of it in its present condition.

TwoHundredEx
11-09-2007, 10:23 PM
That looks nice!
I'm sure you've already said it but, what rear fenders are those?
Have you thought of what you're going to do about the height?
Looking at those pictures is making me anxious to go work on mine tomorrow. :D

Billy Golightly
11-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Lookin very nice man! Excellent work so far.

jeffatc250r
11-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the compliments. The fenders are from a trx 200sx that i shaved heavily. As far as the ride height im gonna try trimming the subframe (the two tubes that come down and mount by the pegs, to try and get the back of the seat down a little so its leval. If that dont come out the way im hoping i may try to find a 200x subframe to mount, that way i can also run a real set of fenders and a seat. Anyone got a junk 200x frame that they wanna sell?

lokisbuddy
11-13-2007, 02:31 PM
you can get a whole 82 xr200r bike in great condition if you got an old pickup to trade.

oldsking86
11-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Jeff it looks pretty knarly bro!! I like how it sits, leave it haha With you on it it'll be better, no matter how much you weigh. You don't want it to low, you need travel for the jumps :naughty:

TwoHundredEx
11-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Still looking for a 200X subframe?

'83 200X frame, $25!
http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?p=553643#post553643

SYKO
11-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the compliments. The fenders are from a trx 200sx that i shaved heavily. As far as the ride height im gonna try trimming the subframe (the two tubes that come down and mount by the pegs, to try and get the back of the seat down a little so its leval. If that dont come out the way im hoping i may try to find a 200x subframe to mount, that way i can also run a real set of fenders and a seat. Anyone got a junk 200x frame that they wanna sell?

hit me up home slice!! I got a 83 200x frame that was butcherd up front and in the middle I could cut the subframe out and send it your way, just pay for the shippin

james9r9r
11-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Man I wish i was as smart as you cause that is looking great.

jeffatc250r
11-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Jeff it looks pretty knarly bro!! I like how it sits, leave it haha With you on it it'll be better, no matter how much you weigh. You don't want it to low, you need travel for the jumps :naughty:

Haha no jumping for this little rat, its gonna be my new ice racing machine, the lower the better!

3Wheels4Life
12-09-2007, 04:24 PM
VERY Nice making anymore progress?

riverrat
12-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Hows it going? I want to see video :)
Come to Greenwood Lake NY this winter, presidents day weekend, we are going to race on the ice (if there is ice).

jeffatc250r
12-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Hows it going? I want to see video :)
Come to Greenwood Lake NY this winter, presidents day weekend, we are going to race on the ice (if there is ice).

I actually took it on its maiden voyage yesterday! Still got a little work left on it, like brakes :eek: For a 125 the thing rips! I dont have any way of making video, but ill take a cpl shots of it later on. Ya if theres ice im down with making a trip out west. Hopefully it starts getting cold :D

oldskool83
12-10-2007, 03:15 PM
cool trike...that swingarm kind of looks like mine with it being not being the same on both sides

jeffatc250r
12-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Heres some :pics: I just took it out for a ride after installing a 36mm keihin on it, much better than the round slide that was on it. It took some streetttccchhiiinnng to get it on the boots, but its on ;) I need to get some pegs for this thing, its only got the left side :lol: after i locate a right peg im going to disect some 450r pegs and weld the cleats onto the stock cr pegs. I chopped the subframe to get the ass-end of the bike to sit a little lower, its better, i still think i need to locate myself a 450r seat to mount up, if anyone has one theyre willing to part with :D :beer . I also need a front brake caliper to have front brakes. As far as the rear brakes im gonna buy a complete set-up from a 400ex or 450r from ebay, i already got the rear pedal figured out, but need the rest to put it in its final spot, next time ill try to find a bike with hydraulic brakes to make this part easier!

jeffatc250r
12-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Here is some side by side shots next to my 250.

Yamada
12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Nice conversion. Make me want to find a dirt bike... again you do so nice work

riverrat
12-10-2007, 07:49 PM
I actually took it on its maiden voyage yesterday! Still got a little work left on it, like brakes :eek: For a 125 the thing rips! I dont have any way of making video, but ill take a cpl shots of it later on. Ya if theres ice im down with making a trip out west. Hopefully it starts getting cold :D

That thing came out really sweet! I am so dying to have the time to do something like that.
Keep an eye out on the local riding section of this forum, I will be posting all the info there. We are definitely getting together on Presidents day weekend here, as long as there is ice. Looks like its going to be a good turn out.