PDA

View Full Version : Riniocn 650 is a piece

HemiChallenger71
10-24-2002, 08:07 PM
Dirt wheels just did their test on the big 4X4 golf carts, and the Rinicon 650 is a piece of S$&#, over priced too. S@$#&y power, s@#&@y transmission, and poor tires from the factory. Has anyone here ridden one, or own one?

Kilborg
10-26-2002, 12:20 PM
Don't believe everything you read, son. Go ride one, then come back and flame it. Half of what Dirtwheels says is in their payroll.

Billy Golightly
10-26-2002, 02:32 PM
Iv'e sat on one before, I'm not saying their a bad quad, but definetly not my cup of tea. I felt like I had a jeep inbetween my legs.

ATC crazy
10-26-2002, 03:55 PM
:shock: I am a honda man but if honda is going to keep using old technology I might just switch. Pushrods? Drum brakes? Honda is being left ing the dust. Im surprised that they even used IRS instead of a swingarm. I bet that if they did use the s-arm then there would be a drum brake on the back. Disks offer lighter weight and more stopping power. Honda should know better. I own a '02 Honda Foreman 450S with drums on the front and they still lock-up on pavement but it takes a lot of hand muscle. If they went with DOHC then they would have more power and performance. They should also ditch their geared-way-too-high-3-speed auto and go with the one thats on the Rubicon. If they did these changes then they would attract more buyers and make more $$.

ATC crazy
10-26-2002, 03:57 PM
:oops: That should read left "in" the dust. My mistake. Also, Honda is still the most reliable quad out there no matter what anyone else says.

Kilborg
10-26-2002, 05:42 PM
Honda doesnt see the rincon as a performance machine. There are reasons for using a pushrod engine, and no hydraulic disks, etc.

First off, have you ever RIDDEN a 4x4 with disk brakes? Go try locking those suckers up and see how it feels to have a 600+ lb machine on top of you. Drum brakes offer plenty of stopping power. This isnt a race machine. The majority of the automotive industry still uses drum rears. Drum brakes are far from obsolete. They have their uses.

The pusrod engine is used for numerous reasons. Reliabilty, Torque, etc. Honda's utility division is not out to make a hotrod engine. What the rincon mill is made for is good, tractable power. It may not win races against the new breed of high output 4x4's, but not many people buying these 7000 dollar machines are going out and reaming through the woods at top speed, either. Honda made this as a recreational machine. You get on it, go out for a nice enjoyable ride, and have the option of doing some work with it. It's still no slouch, and I'm positive it will give some of the sport quads a good run even in the woods. A kid I goto school and party with's family just got one of these new big bore rincons, so next time he takes it out and I am with him i'll get a ride on it and say my thoughts.

10-26-2002, 07:15 PM
on my 250ex it has rear drum brakes and it stops it really good. i could only imagine disc on the back. it would suck id be sliding all over the place.

Big Darn Mike C
10-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Everyone always says that about the pushrod style design, but the thing is, the Honda always seem to make good power. Take the Recon for example, in the test against the Timberwolf they thought the wolf would walk all over it, but the pushrodded Recon will leave the wolf in the dust. As far as it's design, it looks okay, but way too much plastic and it looks like an SUV. I still like quads to look like quads, not cars.

10-27-2002, 12:50 AM
I like the disk brakes on my 3-wheeler (200x) i bled them to my satisfactory and they dont lock up anymore!! as for front brakes, i only use them for when i am coming down a hill that i dont think i can get up due to it being way too steep and tall.

HemiChallenger71
10-27-2002, 01:21 AM
If I were to go out and ride the Rinicon, yes woudl think it's awesome. Then if i were to go ride a Polaris 700, I would think it's more awesome. Yes I know Dirt whel's results are in their payroll, but I still think it's a piece. Maybe someday someone will figure out why Honda does things the way it does, because it sure doesnt seem to be the right thing lately.

ATC crazy
10-27-2002, 04:13 PM
:evil: If I was going to pay $7000+ dollars for a brand new 4x4, I would want OHV's and hydraluic disk brakes on it :!: I have been in situations with my Foreman where I would've given my finger for disk brakes ('cause I almost did!). I know that Dirt Wheels results are based on payroll but if the Rincon had disk brakes and an OHV then it might've come in a CLOSE third or even secondp place. It's just not right when 50cc mini quads have disk brakes but not a $7500 4x4 :evil: :bounce

86waterpumper
10-28-2002, 01:52 PM
HAHAHA ask the guys that went to haspin about the one we saw with the front end all busted to pieces the guy was camped right beside us, it was hilarious :)

350Xrider
10-29-2002, 10:36 PM
I have all types of brakes on my bikes from mechanical to hydraulic, disc to drum, and I'll be the first one to tell you that my 1997 Forman 4X4 has 6000 and some miles on it and we have never once put brakes on it, ever. I think Lush can vouch for me on this one. On everything I have with discs they have been changed several times. I can guarantee you that none of you have 6000 on your bikes with disc brakes and are still on your stock pads. Think about it you have the drum that the braking mechanism is encased in the drum, with the disc setup the braking mechanism is out there taking all the dirt and abuse. The 250ex has a rear drum brake as dirtbikes did from before the 70's until about 1985, and they worked great. This is probably the reason honda is using the drum brake, if you think you are going to stop a 600 lb. bike any faster than the drums are going to you are wrong. Honda is using old technology, because it works and works right instead of making new buyers of $7000 quads guinee pigs, they sell somthing they know is going to provide years of service. I honestly don't know how you are saying old technology on the Rincon, I mean think about it how many other company's have a hydromechanical transmission, you can just look at the rincon and tell there is technology behind it. Need I say more.

YTZ250N
11-02-2002, 10:06 PM
Honda is putting together a team to race the rincon in the Baja 1000 this year. The Prarie 650 won its class last year so I( guess thats it competition. I had the chance to ride a brand new rincon hop off and then jump on a polaris 500. The rincon is huge and feels cumbersome but it has alright power for the size. I couldn't convince the owner of the rincon to put a chain on the front and try to drag me in reverse on the polaris. :)

OldSchoolin86
11-03-2002, 08:52 PM
I remember the guy at Haspin, he all upset because his new Rincon was falling to pieces and he wasn't even riding it too hard.

350Xrider
11-03-2002, 11:14 PM
Hey, the Rincon may be nothing more than trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro, but the fact still remains don't believe everything you read or hear about. I'll not say much about it other than when I ride one i'll give you all a good overview on the subject. I'm not going to trash the hell out of a bike that I as well as many many other people have not ridden,or for that matter seen.