PDA

View Full Version : 200m with rear suspension....possible?

bigred1
09-08-2007, 07:09 PM
hey you crazy trike people. looks like yall got some neat ideas out there. i only have a 200m and a 200e hard tail trike. i do not have anything w/ a swing arm or rear suspension to look at for ideas so my ? is has anyone seen or know of a hard tail being converted to a soft? i and my back appreciate any input

icp4life162005
09-08-2007, 07:24 PM
yeah they do it to 70's quite often but for the 200's I have no idea. someoone has probably done it on here though.

bigred1
09-08-2007, 07:39 PM
yea 200 is a bit bigger but if its possible I am very interested to try it out I think it would better suit my riding style.

SYKO
09-08-2007, 08:39 PM
the easiest thing to do is get a 83-85 200x roller and swap your red motor into it then you will have superior front suspension and rear suspension as well, be creative and remount your racks and you can have a 200mx

bigred1
09-08-2007, 08:52 PM
are there some well known atv salvage yards to find a roller or should I just try e-bay?

SYKO
09-08-2007, 08:55 PM
pm dreadhed here on the boards he might have a complete roller, I have a frame, you pay shipping + 10 bucks and its yours, (dont worry I got a shipping place that gets full frames out like 30-40 bucks) but thats it, its just a frame, luckly though 200x stuff is cheap, do a search for "auto x" and you will find some answers!

bigred1
09-08-2007, 09:14 PM
just to clarify frame is without swing arm? or do you just mean no tires and fenders? one other ? i have (pardon the lack of knowledge of terms) if someone says they have a roller does that usualy imply that everything is there but the motor? or is it a fairly loose term

SYKO
09-08-2007, 09:34 PM
roller usually means everything but the motor, what I have is just a frame, with nothing else frame only, but like I said it can be started from anything, 200x parts are plentiful and cheap check ebay

Kilborg
09-11-2007, 11:31 PM
there was a kit at one point...information on the subject is rather limited though. Atleast as far as I know.... Maybe Howdy or one of the others would have a better idea. I remember seeing it in a few ads as a youngster. For some reason, Astro conversions comes to mind.

From what i do know:

The kit took a little more then the average do-it yourselfer. There was some cutting and I would imagine a few mounts supplied in the kit had to be welded and gusseted for the swinger mount, shock etc.

The shock for some reason im thinking was one of those pathetic trx200 style units. Guess on a 200 with weak front forks it wouldnt be a big deal but still an improvement over the hardtail.

If your feeling brave, go ahead and give it a shot. Some basic tools and fab knowledge and it CAN be done. I would reccomend just getting a 200x or superior sport machine and calling it a day. You get a superior chassis with better geometry and suspension then your gonna get outta the 200m.
Another popular swap is to take your auto clutch 200 motor and putting it into the 200x frame...dubbed the auto-x. I believe it bolts right in. The first 200x I had back in the day (7...8 years of age maybe?) my father actually used a 1983 xl200 motor in a 85 200x frame.

Vealmonkey
09-12-2007, 12:30 AM
The hardest part of the auto-x is fabbing a setup for the rear brake. The rear brake pedal is attached to the 200x engine. At one time there was a board member on here that was making the brake pedal for an auto x frame and it was of pretty nice quality. I have 2 suspensioned framed 185s trikes, one is a bolt on and the other is a weld on. The bolt on frame is a runner and you can search for suspension 185s and find pictures of it. The weld on frame, I never have done anything with, it's still sitting in the box that it was shipped to me in. I have thought about selling the weld on suspension frame. I would take $500 if interested plus shipping cost. They are pretty uncommon. The cheaper way to go is the auto-x. Also when running the auto-x or suspension framed 185s\200s, you need to run a 200x exhaust as the exhaust no longer runs through the middle of the frame cause there will now be a shock absorber there.

bigred1
09-12-2007, 01:09 AM
thanks for eveyones input on this so far. i think i'm leaning toward the 200x roller idea if i find at the right price can't be that much though otherwise it seems i would be better off just buying a whole other complete trike