PDA

View Full Version : Tecates vs.

tecatecrazy
10-24-2002, 10:37 PM
I'm sure you guys have beat this subject into the ground many times before but being new to the trike world I know very little about trikes other that the tecate ('84). I got to say that I am very pleased with the power this thing has ( keihin carb, weisco piston, pvl ignition, and a unifilter) but I'm not to happy with the suspension ( at least for jumping purposes). I was just wondering how bad I am missing out, if at all, by owning a tecate over a different sport trike? Just somethin' to talk about.

Lots_Of_Nothing
10-24-2002, 11:10 PM
well the tecate is a nice trike, but i have an 84 250R (honda), and out of all the trikes i have owned and drove any of the 250r's prove to be the best, they are fast, good suspension, reliable, and get you through pretty much anything.
in my oppinion the Honda 250R's are the best trikes, they range in years from 1981-1986

3WheelHouston
10-25-2002, 12:02 AM
Tecate's and 250r's are like Raptors and 400ex's today. The Tecate and the Raptor are faster and more powerful, but the 250r and the ex handle much better so they come out on top in the twisties. That analogy make sense?

10-25-2002, 01:16 AM
I guess I ll add my two cents worth and get the Kawi/Honda debate going again. In reply to 3wheelhouston comments about comparing tecate 3 vs the atc250r is like comparing the raptor vs the 400ex is partially correct. I feel the raptor has more power mainly because it has 260 cc more than the 400ex . I do agree that the 400ex handles better than the raptor. But to compare the tecate3 vs atc250r and say that the kawi has alot more power is wrong. I have raced my stock 86atc250r vs my stock 87 tecate and have had the atc250r beat the tecate 85% of the time in drag races from 0-100 yds, 0-150 yds, 0-250 yds. The drag races started in frist gear, 2nd gear starts, rolling starts in 1 st and 2nd gear. I have even had other people race them the same way and have had very similar outcomes. The handling difference is very close and the tecate3 edges out the250r in the high speed full throttle slides by abit. But the handling else where is even. I also own a 2001 raptor,2000 400ex,88trx250r and the good old 86atc350x. All of the above bikes are excellent rides. I also can hardly wait for honda's new sport/hi-performance quad to come out if they ever do release one.
This is my past ride evaluation of the above bikes and I also understand that some other riders might have different outcomes with the above bikes.
Have fun riding no matter what your ride is. :D

Jeb
10-25-2002, 02:15 AM
Here's what your missing out on! :-D

Do you really think a guy with a bunch of Honda's is going to praise a Kawasaki Tecate???? :rolleyes:

Dont judge all Tecates on the 84/85. Though they are awesome and have a top end engine thats phenomenal.

The 86/87 has worlds better suspension than the 84/85. It has the biggest forks ever put on a 3 wheeler (41mm) and it has a bit more lowend thanks to the KIPS (powervalve) motor. It floats low and slides like you wouldn't believe. In the right hands (which are not mine, sadly ) it's unstopable, but don't underestimate the 85/86 250R. You can't bobble or it'll spank ya. I like the 85/86 250R and I'm not putting it down, but stock for stock it absolutely does not out handle the 86 Tecate. It might out handle the 84/85 all right but the 86 Tecate is the best handling trike in tight twisty trails and tracks that I've ever ridden.

tecatecrazy
10-25-2002, 04:14 PM
hey Jeb, If you are sill following this post, would '86 triples and the rest of the front end from an '86 fit on an '84 T3? I was considering putting on an '85 front end to upgrade to disc brakes but if an '86 will fit, why not take advantage of the suspension upgrade as well. :Pimp

Jeb
10-25-2002, 04:32 PM
yep, the 86 triple tree will bolt right on, allowing you to slip the giant 86 forks in, upgrade to the taller narrower front tire, and the better 86/87 disc brake....except for one problem....what do you do with the radiator? also, i'm not sure about the steering stops, you might have to remove them or something.

well, for the radiator, you can zip-tie it on :shock: , or drill and tap some bolt holes in the clamps. or hunt up one of those old radiator kits to add a single radiator down under the gas tank. It could be done, I saw a pic of an 85 with an 86 front end once. I couldn't tell how they were holding on the radiator.

KingTecate
10-25-2002, 05:14 PM
Man now that ive found this web site i feel like a kid in a candy store!! I haven't had my tecate long so i haven't had a chance to race many other people, atleast no quads bigger than a 300. so how would a tecate or any other 250 2 stroke hold up against some of the new 400 + 4stroke quads in a flat out drag race?

ride
84 tecate

tecatecrazy
10-25-2002, 11:21 PM
Man I would love to modify my T3 and make it all custom. BTW are any other parts interchangable i.e. motor, swing arm or plastics etc.?

250rmanfmf
10-26-2002, 02:52 AM
Both are Great Trikes, my 85' 250R has never lost to a tecate but wouldnt mind having a tecate too.

My opnion, 250R Faster better suspesion, 250R better trike but Tecate not far behind, still very fast great trike.

Kilborg
10-26-2002, 12:01 PM
I have to disagree. The late model 250r's were the best handling trikes, period. The later t3's were pretty good, but still no 250r. The t3 makes up for the handling with the extra power.

Personally, I feel the 250r is a faster overall machine with its better handling and suspension. The t3 can outrun it (not by much, either) in the straights. The only gripe I have with my 250r is the forks have just a twitch too much rebound.

As far as tight, twisty stuff goes, i would give that to a 200x or a 350x with the proper rider. 4 strokes are inherently better woods machines, They hook up better, and don't have the instantaneous power surge of a 2 stroke.

ATC crazy
10-26-2002, 03:37 PM
:D I've ridden tecates and ATC250R's for years now and there is no question that the ATC250R is the most powerful, best handling, and all around best performance trike ever made hands down. The tecate is a good trike but the 250R is just better than it. My friend and I have raced them in drag races, on motocross tracks, and tight trails and the 250R always crosses the finish line first no matter who rides them.

Kilborg
10-26-2002, 05:50 PM
On the contrary. The 250r and Tecate motors are completely different worlds. Late model tecates make basically all topend, the midrange isnt bad, but the bottom end is flat in comparison.

The 250r, on the other hand, Pulls like a raped ape on the bottom and midrange, and the power tapers off quite early.

In a drag race, If the 250r and Tecate guys are riding their machines proper, the Tecate will not pull a R until about 4th gear. The R hangs right with it til they top out, where the t3 has a touch more speed.

350Xrider
10-26-2002, 06:11 PM
I'll have to disagree with the best all around performance trike, that definately has to go to the 350X. It has all the power and speed you'll be needing, without all the loading up and fouling plugs, and it has more lugging around power as well.

10-26-2002, 09:11 PM
HEY Guys
I agree with the guys who are saying that a 86atc250r is all around better than a 87 tecate3. I own 2-87tecate3 that are in complete stock form and a 86atc250r completely stock. The tecate3 handles great with the throttle on full blast the best but the atc250r handles great with the throttle full blast or half throttle or very little throttle. So, from that I would say the honda handles better than the tecate3( in the woods, mx track and fireroads). As for drag racing/races. I have raced the 87 tecate3 vs the 86atc250r in short, medium and long drags and 86atc250r seems to beat the tecate9 out of 10 times. I have started the bikes both with rolling starts in 2nd and 3rd and even1st gear for fairness to both bikes. The honda seems to come out on top 90% of the drags. The other 10% of the drags the honda and the kawi are usually tied or the kawi 3-6 feet ahead. I agree that the kawi has a great midrange and awsome top end pull and not alot on the bottom. And the 86atc250r has an awsome bottom to midrange pull and great topend until you shift into 6th gear. As far as suspension goes the honda wins this battle as well, even though the 87 tecate3 has the larger (41mm vs 39mm) front forks. I know some people will say that I am just another Honda guy singing honda's praises but I am not that way :rolleyes: . I own 2-87 tecate3, 86atc250r,96 &97 kx250 and a 02 cfr450r in my stable. When I ride these bikes I go out and perform the same tests on each of them and I don't say honda does this better than a kawi because the name is honda or vice versus because its a kawi. How the bikes perform for me is how I tell other people what the bikes can and can't do. I understand that sometimes you can get a lemon from the factor or the carb isn't adjusted right for your area or riding style. But, I d like to think that the two 87 tecate3 that I have are excellent rides but the 86 atc250r just does things a bit better than the tecates. This my personal experience when comparing the 86atc250r vs 87tecate3 and I am sure other people might have a different type experience when comparing the same two bikes.Have a blast riding out there. 8) :D ;)

Lots_Of_Nothing
10-26-2002, 09:24 PM
am I the only one with a 1984 250R???

250rmanfmf
10-26-2002, 10:12 PM
I use to own a 84' but sold it a month ago because needed to size down my trike collection. 84' is still a rippin year for the 250R and was bad for a air-cooled trike.

Jeb
10-26-2002, 11:23 PM
tecatecrazy-

when it comes to switching things between the 86 and 84 tecate, theres not much you can do. The chassis are quite a bit different design. The motors won't switch because the 84/85 "A-series" motor has a left-exit exhaust and the 86/87 "B-Series" motor has a center exhaust, which each motor will interfere with the opposite frame. I don't know if you can run an 86 swingarm on an 84. If you did, youd have to run the carrier, axle, hub, disc and sprocket. The 86 swingarm is aluminum and longer, so it would be an advantage over the short heavey steel swingarm.

3WheelHouston
10-27-2002, 02:13 AM
Haha looks like I was wrong. I was always under the impression that the Tecate's were a faster trike in a straight line but a 250r handles so much better that it wins on a track. Most of the posts here say the 250r hangs right in. However, I still have doubts as there are only two Tecate owners posting here. Who knows.

MIK6
10-27-2002, 03:47 AM
All I can say is for you to ask Haspin riders what trike was the fasrest on the drags. There was only one tecate(my 87) and if I remember correctly(I was drunk) it was pretty quick out there. As for the the debate I'll take a T3 anyday!!!

MIK6 / Mike

tecatecrazy
10-27-2002, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys for all of the one sided comments about the 250r, they must be a better trike ( I just think that there isn't enough input from other trike owners who ride something other that a 250r). I will say this though, I am 6'3" and 230lbs and my tecate has an extra 2" out back and there is no way that I can keep the front end down through the first three gears under full thottle. If a 250r pulls harder than that then I would be too scared to ride it anyway. But it is sure fun reading the arguments that you guys post. I guess only the track will which, if any , is the better trike.

But what sucks for me is that when ever I've gone to the local atv park there is never another trike to be found and I'm gettin tired of roughin' up golf carts with the t3.lol

Trikeaholic
10-27-2002, 04:48 PM
my red 85 KXT smoked my 83 250R, ya ya ya, "THATS NOT A FAIR RACE" ya ya ya, but it DID beat the Honda!

Kilborg
10-27-2002, 09:20 PM
One thing... Your t3 is slightly "worked over" as some would put it..

A similarly built 250r would be an awesome race.

250rmanfmf
10-27-2002, 10:56 PM
Water-cooled vs. Air Cooled??? Need I say more

Jeb
10-28-2002, 11:24 AM
Tecatecrazy, don't worry about the one-sided comments. You have a great trike and if you take care of it, it will serve you well. Everyone is different and any of the racing trikes fit one person or the other differently. You just can't go wrong in my opinion with any of the 250cc two stroke racing 3 wheelers. Personally I prefer the 86 Tecate to all the rest, though now I mostly ride a Tri-Z and I like it. And the 85/86 ATC250R is an EXCELLENT machine as well. I've passed up 3 or 4 of the air cooled models over the years, but when I find a great deal on the 85/86, I'll snatch it up myself.

I love hearing the Honda guys make excuses!!!!!!

:-D :-D :-D :-D

MR ATC
10-28-2002, 12:26 PM
i couldn't resiste so here goes; in this debate the majority of the people say the 250R is better then the Tecate. funny how it mirrors real life the majority of 250 2 stroke trikes still out running around are 250R's. or how in their heyday 81-87 the winningest threewheeler in history is the 250R. (undefeted in the BAJA 500 and 1000 81-87) in MX, Harescrambles,TT, Flat track, stadium,and desart. races. in all those forms of competition the 250R was DOMINANT. only 2 Tecate riders could stop the Honda stanglehold. I think this clearly states what the best 250 2 stroke three wheeler is. The Tecate dose have a more "explosive" powerband copared to Honda's smooth powerband but speed is more a human factor then anything else here.

Jeb
10-28-2002, 01:28 PM
MRATC, I think the word you were looking for was "dominant" instead of "dommint"? :-D

(Sorry man, couldn't resist!)

Can't argue with your History, as I concur it is fact. And the 250R's reliability is excellent. That I can't argue with either, but I will use your post to strengthen my point:

Which is don't rule out the Tecate because Honda is more popular with the masses.

Because as you said, Whats the one machine that threatened the Honda's strangle hold so much:

The Kawasaki Tecate. Particulary in 1983 and again in 1986.

Had Kawasaki not come out with the Tecate in 1983, would Honda have ever came out with the 85 250R? Yamaha of course jumped in too, but didn't quite get it right. In late 84 when Honda released it they pulled no punches obviously and came out with a historical ATV. Interesting thought. That 85 R had one thing in mind. Stop the Tecate threat.

MR ATC
10-28-2002, 02:11 PM
MRATC, I think the word you were looking for was "dominant" instead of "dommint"? :-D

(Sorry man, couldn't resist!)

Had Kawasaki not come out with the Tecate in 1983, would Honda have ever came out with the 85 250R? Yamaha of course jumped in too, but didn't quite get it right. In late 84 when Honda released it they pulled no punches obviously and came out with a historical ATV. Interesting thought. That 85 R had one thing in mind. Stop the Tecate threat.

(yes my spelling and typing are bad...thanks)

i think Honda would have released the same 85/86 250R weather or not the Tecate came out but your right it was designed to stop the tecate or anything else on 3 or 4 wheels

Curtis-Tecate3
10-28-2002, 04:04 PM
As an 86 Tecate owner let me chime in. I prefer the Tecate over the R as I like a more hard edged racing designed machine vs an all around designed bike like the R. The 85/86 R is a great bike with its own good & bad points but I still prefer the Tecate. Yes it is much easier to own the Honda due to much better parts availability both factory & aftermarket but part of the allure is being the one on the rare Tecate. Now my drag racing history on the Tecate has been pretty good. My first 86 that was stolen and never recovered was an absolute ringer that was just plain bad-fast in 95% stock form. It was rarely beat on gravel/dirt drags. I beat any nearly any 250 3&4 wheeler, 500 Zillas, and even mild/moderate Banshees. My current bike never had the same zip as the first one for whatever reason (Motoplat Ignition is my guess). As far as trail riding, drag racing etc. this almost always comes down to the rider. I have flat embarrased many a 2 stroke on my 85 200x in the woods/trails. It just comes down to the rider most of the time. Anyway on to the 80's history.. Whenever Honda puts their resources into a racing program they are usually unbeatable. Team Green did a remarkable job competing & many times beating Honda with what were essentially Privateer/Tuner bikes. Kawasaki did not live off of Japanese crates full of special cylinders, pipes, gears, etc unlike some of their competition. Team Green was basically given stock bikes and had the tuners let loose on them. The only thing that I know of that was unobtainable from Team Green was the sometime used frame with a built in steering damper. I have talked with just about every ex-factory Kawi rider and this seems to be the case.

Final result: Be proud of whatever 250cc 3 wheeler that you have. They are all great in their own respects and I would take any water cooled 2-stroke 250cc 3 wheeler that I could get my hands on.

Curtis.

Kilborg
10-28-2002, 05:58 PM
Agreed. All the performance pingers were awesome.

thors-tecate
11-24-2002, 02:57 AM
I have to agree the 250 r's were a contender to the tecate's,but people need to be reminded that the tecates gave the 250r's a run for there money and they were only a five speed.If kawasaki had come out with the six speed like they did in 87,the 250r's would have eatin dust all the time instead of half of the time. :twisted:

11-25-2002, 01:46 AM
Kawi came out with a 87 tecate3 and it wasn't a 6 speed tranny and it still slower then my 86 atc250r in short or long drags. I own a 87 tecate and a 86 atc250r.
Later.

thors-tecate
11-25-2002, 02:41 AM
That was to be taken 87 tecate 4,they had the six speeds in them.I've owned my tecate 3 for thirtreen years.Me and my friends and family grew up on all racin trikes,bikes and quads.250'r,lt250's,quadzillas,tecate4's cr and Kx 500's.We all had pipes,jetting,boring,porting,polishing,you name it.We were also all different kind of riders too.Different machines,different riding techniecs,so I think It's really kinda hard to judge wheather one machine is really actually better then another.I would own any of the machines I mentioned above,including the 250R without thinking twice.My preference just happens to be the Tecate 3,it's fast and it's the bike I feel the most comfortable riding.I'am not in it to race,I just want to ride.To each their own! 8)

Tecate250
11-25-2002, 09:42 PM
Ok i own 3 Tecate's. A 84,85 and a 88 Tecate 4.
This is the first post that people have the gaul to mock the t3.
Lets race a 84 250r and a 84 tecate? air vs liquid?. There is also a problem here.
Gearing. Also what did the r have that the 86-87 didnot have?
The tecates had the kips system and I di believe the r was just like the old tecate motors. And like the person said Honda is a much bigger company, but that dont mean a smaller company cant take the cake.
And yes the trx is still raced today but look at the after market parts still avaliable.
There is nothing for the tecates.
But wait lets race a 87 tecate vs a 87 atc 250r.
OOOOOh wait where is the 87 r??????
Kawasaki did there home work and they were stock racers.
Im a beginner racer and have only raced a 400ex on my t4 and raped it.
Now this is really a 1 sided arguement.
But what I hear is the 86-87 tecate IS THE FASTEST ATC

Next to the tiger.

Tecate250 aka Anole

11-25-2002, 10:29 PM
I own a 86 and 87 tecate3 stock bike(s) and 86atc250 stock bike and in repeated short and long drags the 86 or 87 tecatekxt250b1/b2 doesn't beat my stock 86atc250r in any short , medium or long drag race on hard packed ,loose or sand surfaces. As for the 87 atc250r and OOOOH where is it, you don't need a 87 atc250r to beat a 87 tecate3kxt250b2 because the 86 atc250r already beats it. I have own these bikes for the past 13 years and have drag raced, trail raced/rode, and dune raced them every year. You are right by saying a 87-88 tecate 4 will easily beat a 400ex in a drag race whether short or long but that just like saying the new KXF400 sport quad from Kawasaki gets raped by a 88trx250r. Which I have seen happen when I ride with one of the guys from our local race track because he owns both of those bikes. And as for a tiger 3 wheeler, I can't comment on it because I don't own one and I have never raced or saw one race. It's too bad that the guys at dirtwheels didn't have drag races between the 86/87tecate3 kxt250b1/b2 vs the 86atc250r when the made that instructional video that they sold back in 87. It's a good video for people want to know more on how to ride more aggressively.
Later!

tecatecrazy
11-26-2002, 12:44 AM
this topic is never going to go away... lmfao! :D

theeechozen1
11-26-2002, 03:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll have to disagree with the best all around performance trike, that definately has to go to the 350X. It has all the power and speed you'll be needing, without all the loading up and fouling plugs, and it has more lugging around power as well.

200xer
11-26-2002, 05:29 PM
while the kawi has 5 gears and the honda has 6, the kawi has the powervalve system and the honda doesn't.

Tecate250
11-26-2002, 07:37 PM
Like I said befor.
What makes the 250r faster?
The Tecate has the kips system.
The 250r does not. Ive never seen a 86-87 tecate up close nor a 86 250r.
All Im saying is the tecate should own in lower gears. With the 6 spped tranny the r might ruin the tecate in top end.

Just my oppinion.

theeechozen1
11-26-2002, 07:40 PM
All i can tell you is that the 6th gear in the 250r is a blessing from god himself, it's comparable to a warp drive on SPACEBALL 1
LUDICRUS SPEED-----GO!!!! :D

Tecate performance
12-29-2002, 02:16 AM
To improve your 84's front forks, try changing the oil and adding 10 to 15wt. fork oil if you use the stock springs. Also set the oil level 5-20mm higher to resist bottoming. If that doesn't help enough, add 5psi or so the forks or get stiffer springs.

As for the tecate/250r debate, both good bikes, but as always it comes down to whos the best rider.

tecatecrazy
12-29-2002, 02:31 AM
that all seems a little hard on the seals ,dont ya think? :?

Tecate performance
12-29-2002, 03:17 AM
I wouldn't run much more than 5psi. stiffer springs are the way to go.

Mike Fort Laud
12-29-2002, 01:02 PM
I own an 85 250R that flat out runs everything it comes across,,,,except the worked up Banshee or two. But if you own any 1985-1987 2 stroke 3 wheeler in top notch condition then you have a piece of history to be proud of. We can compare who raced what,or I have this pipe and you have those reeds or I have 15/33 gears and you have 13/39 gear ,So I am faster and you are quicker...blah blah blah.........I could gear an ATC 110 to run 110mph if you want to race 8 miles. Just have pride in your ride ...............................(GO HONDA).............I COULD NOT RESIST

Curtis-Tecate3
12-30-2002, 02:12 PM
As I said before and Mike just restated it. Be proud of any 250cc 2 stroke 3 wheeler that you have.

I question for the other poster 3 wheeler or whatever the name is with all the bikes for the last 13 years...When was the last time you put a top end in that Tecate?? 13 tears ago.........

Curtis.