PDA

View Full Version : boring question?

DarkestGKnight
09-23-2007, 08:56 AM
how long does a top end last when u get it bored? like only if u ride it twice a week and dont beat on it?

Dirtcrasher
09-23-2007, 10:15 AM
There are allot of factors in that. How it's ridden, what type of oil or premix is used and what ratio, how clean the air filter is kept, how tight the boots seal to the carb, what displacement, who put the top end in and on and on and on.

If it isn't raced and well maintained it can last well over a year by the casual rider. Think about how many 20yo machines are on the original top end??

DarkestGKnight
09-23-2007, 10:46 AM
tru i dont wanna spend alot of money just for something that will need a new top end soon, well i heard about replateing i think its called, is that when they put the orignal chrome or steel on the cylinder so the orignal piston fits?

SYKO
09-23-2007, 11:55 AM
replating is for nikasil or chrome bore cylinders, its not cheap, if you have a machine that has a borable cylinder your better off, the nikasill is great but if catostrophic failure happens and it scares that cylinder your in for a treat!

DarkestGKnight
09-23-2007, 12:57 PM
ok so boring worth it then, i might take up racing on a track tho so like ill have to get it bored every year until the cylinder is crap, then get a new cylinder?

SYKO
09-23-2007, 01:27 PM
well if it IS a nikasil plated cylinder then it cannot be bored and will have to be rechromed

DarkestGKnight
09-23-2007, 01:54 PM
ok its not but ill price a boring within the week. thanks

84honda200s
09-23-2007, 02:03 PM
my 200s was bored about 3 or 4 years ago and i just put new rings in. the piston is the same one that was in it. may i ask if its a 4 stroke or 2 stroke ? that also has allot to do with the how long it lasts. ive herd that a small bore job wont do ya much good. if you are boring to get performance get yourself a high compression piston.

DarkestGKnight
09-23-2007, 02:58 PM
hi its a 2 stroke and no im doing it casue the cylinder is scored and the piston is crap.

84honda200s
09-23-2007, 03:30 PM
ok i dont know how long a atv pinger bore job lasts but i can tell ya my bored out ski doo blizzard was bored in 87 and hasnt bin redone since. i was sad to sell it. anyways man as long as you dont abuse the thing it should last you a while.

DarkestGKnight
09-23-2007, 05:00 PM
hey its a vintage dirtbike so im not gonna be beating it or riding much till maybe the summer ill take it to the track but even then im gonna basically cruise not beat the hell outta it.