PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever sold a whole dirtbike on EBAY???

Dirtcrasher
05-15-2003, 06:53 AM
The KDX will bring 900$ local, but on EBAY that same bike grabs 1100 or more sometimes. Looks like a 25 or 50$ selling fee?

Just wondering if anyone here has done this and how the experience went?

Do you offer to build a crate for 100$? How do you keep it nice and upright in the crate??

And where can I drop it for someone, an airport?? is that my only option??

Thanks!

TimSr
05-15-2003, 09:04 AM
This has been my experience with complete bikes on Ebay: First, unless its a very valuable bike or it sells very cheap, shipping is usually not cost effective. Nobody wants to pay $300 shipping and crating on an $800 bike. Also the $25/$50 fee is bit excessive when selling something worth a few hundred dollars, but not bad if it goes a little higher. You are stuck with the $25 dollar fee whether it sells or not. The other problem I run into is a huge influx of kids with a lot of time and no money, wasting your time, and bidding without parental consent. Cancelled bids and deadbeat bidders is way above the norm. I eventually took on the policy of cancelling all bids from people with no feedback, or lousey feedback when dealing in bikes, unless they emailed me and I spoke to them on the phone first, because of the hassle in getting your $25 fee back when they dont pay. So it eventually boils down to local bidders who happen to be using Ebay, and Ive found you reach more local people in the newspaper. You just dont get the same national bidding competition like you do on something easily shipable. Ive sold two Blasters, and two dirt bikes whole, and I can say its a lot easier dealing in parts!

lushatc200x
05-15-2003, 10:02 AM
to hell with the fee just list it under motorcycle accessories. then its like 7 bucks

Dirtcrasher
05-15-2003, 10:13 AM
I have asked myself numerous times, why would someone pay 300$ to ship a bike they just paid above or equal to it's value.

If done locally I'll range 800 to 900$ but they'll come and ride it and cya later bye.

Same bike I've watched on Ebay grab 1000 to 1200 or even more then the shipping. Sounds good for me but bad for them??

And your right , many times I've seen " this is a relisting do to a non paying bidder"

Not sure what the heck to do :?

thefox
05-15-2003, 11:09 AM
I sold one of my bikes on ebay. Shipping was rather easy because it was a honda xr 80 so I just took off the front end and sent it in a box UPS ground for about $80. I figured that it was worth about $500 around where I live and I ended up selling it on ebay for $750. The listing fee was $50 I think. But I would agree that it is easier to sell localy.
- Andrew

Dynofox
05-15-2003, 10:37 PM
I bought my Z on e-bay and am fairly happy with how it went. I bought the bike for a good price and got a very good deal on shipping due to the guy working for a shipping company. My only complaint was the seller not being totally honest with me about the condition of the Z. He told me it was in excellent shape and only needed front break pads. Well I had to replace the front wheel/rear carrier bearings, fork seals, rebuild the rear shock, replace the front and rear break pads along with the rear disc because the guy ran the pads to the metal and ruined it! :evil: I've still got less into the bike than what it's worth, and that's a good thing! :-D

Dirtcrasher
05-16-2003, 10:23 AM
I bought my Z on e-bay and am fairly happy with how it went. I bought the bike for a good price and got a very good deal on shipping due to the guy working for a shipping company. My only complaint was the seller not being totally honest with me about the condition of the Z. He told me it was in excellent shape and only needed front break pads. Well I had to replace the front wheel/rear carrier bearings, fork seals, rebuild the rear shock, replace the front and rear break pads along with the rear disc because the guy ran the pads to the metal and ruined it! :evil: I've still got less into the bike than what it's worth, and that's a good thing! :-D

That Z ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dynofox
05-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Thanks! :D

mike from long island
05-16-2003, 10:58 PM
as dynofox said i myself had good luck with ebay. i bought my Z from a guy who lives in colorado. it cost $180 to ship the Z to new york. i had to drive about 45 minutes to the forward air turminal to pick it up. very easy. the guy had had a crate so he did not charge me. after restoring the bike it is what you see in my avatar!!! not a bad bike.