PDA

View Full Version : Rottweiler

BigGreenMachine
09-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Went to poker night at a new friends place and as soon as the four of us walk in we are greeted by a fully grown Rottweiler.

I was always a dog person and had no fear of him from the get go but I know the others were a little apprehensive.

He didn't bark, jump up on us or anything that might be perceived as scary. He came around us sniffing and I held out my hand to him so he could get a wiff. Very gentle and behaved dog which I must say says a lot about his owners.

Apollo was adopted by my friends at 1 year old. He is fully trained, does a couple tricks and obeys when told. Such a big sooky dog at 120lbs. He stuck around the poker table the whole night and chilled with us enjoying some nice rubdowns and scratches behind the ears. Such a gentle dog and cute with a big baby face. I truely want one as soon as I can fully take on the responsibility.

Anyone that thinks badly of Rotts and other such animals really need to spend time around one.

Some pics, not Apollo but damn are they ever cute.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/rottweiler.htm

BigGreenMachine
09-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Got some pics of Apollo, big dog but such a sook!

Banage
09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
I love them dogs. I had a pitbull the same way. My 2 kids ( 3yr old and 5 month old at the time ) would jump on her, pull her ears, run and fall on her. didnt matter she would just yelp when hurt and i would come running. She never bit or even nipped. I do not think by any means a dog is mean in its blood. If a chiwawa bit someone its cute, but a big dog does, its a lawsuit. People mistreat a dog to make it mean.

400exguy
09-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Pit bulls and rots are nice dogs and can be very calm and friendly. However, it takes one wrong look, one wrong pull of the ears and they can snap. I personally wouldnt have them around kids. It has been proven that they are nice dogs but there are also many reports of them just snapping out of the blue and killing or severly hurting kids. I wouldnt wanna be responsable for such a thing happening.

BigGreenMachine
09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
If they are brought up not knowing aggression then why would they snap? Makes no sense and leads me to think the owners of such dogs mistreated it.

The owners are bad, not the animal. ALL dog bites I have heard of around here are of different domestic species, not Pit Bulls or Rotties.

I'm definately with RID3R and MNRebel on this one.

honda_atc200es
09-24-2007, 03:15 PM
i used to have a rot, she ran away when i was 4, i remember riding her and stuff and i never got bit or grolwed at, they are awesome dogs

nate b
09-24-2007, 10:25 PM
rots are awesome. and great family dogs.

one of mine used to come duck hunting. lost her to bone cancer about 4 years ago.

Dustin87R
09-24-2007, 11:54 PM
I currently have three pitbulls and one rottweiler and I've had several others over the years and I've never seen one turn on anyone.

stoney420
09-25-2007, 02:21 AM
we had a pitbull when i was about 8 or 9 years old and my parents ended up having to put her down after she ripped our friends lip and the small peice of skin between your 2 nostrils almost completely off however my brothers and i were young and wrestled around alot with eachother and the dog so i guess that might explain it, other then that it was a awesome dog but im not sure i could get another because of it, that coulda been one hell of a terrible law suit if the kids parents werent so nice! anyway, on a brighter note now i have a rottweiler/german shepard mix and could not ever ask for a better dog! hes as smart as they come, obeys me on command, does all kinds of tricks including the one where u put somethin on there nose and make them wait till u say "OK" then flips it in the air and catches it, didnt even work with him a whole lot he just kinda learned on his own with very little work on my part and is a VERY good watch dog to say the least(weighing in at about 110-120lbs), i cant even send my buddys to get somethin from my house he wont let them inside but if im home he goes runnin up to the door as lovable as they come, the only down fall is that he likes to chase the neighbors kittys if they come in the yard he chases them till there outta the yard then just stops and watches them for a little bit, it probably didnt help that when he was young i would have him chase the kittys :lol: .. anyway, if you cant tell already, i think the rotty/german shepard mix is the best dog you can find i would take that over any purebread anyday! sry to ramble on and on :) ill go take a few pics and see if i can figure out how to post em in a few mins.

edit: ok i think i figured it out heres them pics

ColeTrickle
09-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Here are a few :pics: of Rose and Leo and Xena. Right now Rosie is around 8. Her dad was a full pit and the mom a full rottie. She is a very powerful dog that's a little "touched". She likes to nurture and protect. She mothers the other dogs and guards the vehicles when she's in them. She also senses the energy from people. If you're nervous around her or act out of hand she will do the same. I think, like people, dogs are creatures of adaptation. They adapt to how their owners encourage them to act and act around other dogs or animals how they are allowed to. If they are well socialized and have rules, boundries and limitations then the dog has a much better chance of being healthy, happy and trustworthy. I think kids who are allowed to do whatever they want when they want grow up to be adults that do whatever they want when they want. Same with dogs only they don't have words, only instinct. Not saying they don't communicate they just do it with body language and senses.
Our dogs are our companions and they are allowed to act like dogs around each other. They also are natural protectors around the house and property. Something they were never trained for they just do it naturally.
The other two dogs are Boxers. http://doggies 012.jpg

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 12:24 PM
not all pits are bad this is true, but they have that gene in them, It cant be taken out....Just like my Golden Retrievers have a gene for fetching a duck, some may never use it, but it is there, it will never change. Why anyone would want a pit is beyond me, but it happens I just have to hope they are responsible owners, and take precautions. This is coming from a guy who had 2 pits attack his female golden, then attacked her in my house, needless to say I slit their throats and tossed them back over the fence they broke. Course the owner came out and said the same thing you hear on the news.. they never did anything like that before.... to respond I said well neither have I, but if he brings another pit home I will walk to the fence and do it again.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 12:26 PM
I had my Colt Python in my hand he is lucky I didn't take him out

ColeTrickle
09-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Not sure what happened with the last post. Thought I was inserting an image. Here are the pictures I was talking about :D

The first two are of Rosie, she's half pitbull and half Rottie

400exguy
09-25-2007, 02:32 PM
kwbyfrmhell made a very good point about their genes. He also added to my point how even good dogs do things out of the norm for no reason.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 03:07 PM
here is some great statistics taken from the Center for Disease control , by the Us government, look at the pit and rott statistics versus the Golden, there is one death by golden and if you read on it shows that it had rabies.
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf

Dustin87R
09-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Im not sure what "gene" some of you guys are referring to but the pitbull was never bred to be human aggressive.

Mrs.Mosh
09-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Our Rott is probably the best dog we have ever had. We took her to puppy school as a pup, and she finished top of her class:) . I think they rate #9 on the training scale. Like big green said...She never barks, unless there is a reason to. She has never snapped at anyone and she was here before either of our kids. VERY smart dogs and loyal. Her only problem is she doesn't like the bikes:lol: .
She can sense if someone doesn't like her though. She will sit right next to that person, until they leave. I will miss her, we have decided we will have to put her down next month. Her hips are both in very bad shape and she is 12 years old. Blind in one eye and the other is going.

BigGreenMachine
09-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Coletrickle, thats a very good point about kids that do what they want as compared to dogs that do what they want.

not all pits are bad this is true, but they have that gene in them, It cant be taken out....Just like my Golden Retrievers have a gene for fetching a duck, some may never use it, but it is there, it will never change. Why anyone would want a pit is beyond me, but it happens I just have to hope they are responsible owners, and take precautions. This is coming from a guy who had 2 pits attack his female golden, then attacked her in my house, needless to say I slit their throats and tossed them back over the fence they broke. Course the owner came out and said the same thing you hear on the news.. they never did anything like that before.... to respond I said well neither have I, but if he brings another pit home I will walk to the fence and do it again.

Guy, do you think the owner of those pits would have fessed up saying yeah they've bitten ppl/other animals before? Of course not!

There is no telling what those dogs were raised like or in what kind of environment. Same goes with those statistics.

To class a breed because of a select few bad examples is ignorant an very similar to people's views on trikes because of the CSPC.

Cole, beautiful dog that Rosie is. Looks very sweet in her pictures.

Tammy, sorry to hear about that. You should get a new Rottie pup while she is still alive so she passes on her traits and makes it easier for you guys to train him/her.

cheers, glad to see so many dog lovers here.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 08:37 PM
pit bulls were originally bred for stopping runaway cattle and bulls in the early 1800s then in almost as early 1800s englishmen started using them to bull brindle(latching onto the bulls nose to stop him) they were made to withstand the bucking and stomping of the bull without letting go. That was made illegal later on in the 1800s by english law, since they could not do that anymore PIT fighting was put into the limelight. These animals were inbred to increase the unstable behavior. DO you know why the UKC was formed?(UNITED KENNEL CLUB) because the founder could not get his PIT akc registered..... they had been around way before that and refused to recognize it and still do today! you can not refuse the facts, it is not for me to say you can't have one, but at least recognize the fact that they are more pron to be dangerous than any other breed. NOt just because of the owners, but also their DNA.....Just because yours is sweet to you and all does not mean that GENE is gone. it is just dormant and trained.....

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 08:39 PM
You know a while back my 2 year old nephew accidently stepped on my male Goldens tail while it was sleeping. All he did was yelp and looked at my nephew then licked him and moved!!!!!

Black86tri-z
09-25-2007, 08:42 PM
here's a pic of my rotty nice no me but very protective,and he gaurd's my trike! his name is axl !
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/black86tri-z/axle005.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/black86tri-z/axle003.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/black86tri-z/axle004.jpg

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Coletrickle, thats a very good point about kids that do what they want as compared to dogs that do what they want.

Guy, do you think the owner of those pits would have fessed up saying yeah they've bitten ppl/other animals before? Of course not!

There is no telling what those dogs were raised like or in what kind of environment. Same goes with those statistics.

To class a breed because of a select few bad examples is ignorant an very similar to people's views on trikes because of the CSPC.

Cole, beautiful dog that Rosie is. Looks very sweet in her pictures.

Tammy, sorry to hear about that. You should get a new Rottie pup while she is still alive so she passes on her traits and makes it easier for you guys to train him/her.

cheers, glad to see so many dog lovers here.

well duh same thing could apply to golden owners or beagle owners, they arent likely to fess up either... and beautifull well thats in the eyes of the beholder, I think they just look evil all I see is the face of the 2 that attacked my Golden, I also remember how much better they looked dead

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 08:46 PM
all dog breeds fall into bad hands and compared to pits ther are way more labs and goldens and beagles and others

whyzee
09-25-2007, 09:07 PM
here's a pic of my rotty nice no me but very protective,and he gaurd's my trike! his name is axl !
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/black86tri-z/axle005.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/black86tri-z/axle003.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/black86tri-z/axle004.jpg

What a good looking Rotti. :beer
We have our female still with us. She is 8 :(
Our male was 7 when he had to be put down. Still miss em. Been 2 years

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 09:13 PM
What kind of genes are yall talking about???

uhh genetics, dna

Black86tri-z
09-25-2007, 09:22 PM
thank's whyzee i had a girl for 8 year's and she passed away then a week later the dog officer called my dad (officer is his friend) and said he found a abandon rotti in freetown state forest, the rest is history, can't imagine some 1 would ditch this dog in the woods, it was only 6 to 8 months old 2

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 09:26 PM
What kind of "genes" are yall talking about??? Dogs are dogs, and can be made out to be whatever on how there rasied. They just all look diff.. imo

lmao thats why there are problem dogs lol thinking like that instead of research honesty and understanding your breed

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 09:28 PM
let me tell ya in the case of goldens because I have 2 and volunteer abandoned and abused dogs for the Sooner Golden Rescue, that you have to work real hard to make a golden mean, I dont think I have ever seen a badly raised golden turn mean, they only get shy

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=kwbyfrmhell;534564]not all pits are bad this is true, but they have that gene in them, It cant be taken out....
[QUOTE]

I know what genes stand for and other terms for it. But notice you said "but they have that gene in them" What is "THAT" gene they have in them, is what im asking???

genetic disposition of their temper and attitude, they picked certain breeds to make pits because of ther tenacity and strength, just as goldens are bred from the following from the AKC
Golden Retrievers were "developed" in Britain during the 1800's. Believed to be included in the
formation of the Golden Retriever breed are the now extinct Tweed Water Spaniel, the Newfoundland,
the Irish Setter and a variety of water spaniels. Lord Tweedmouth takes credit for the development of
the Golden Retriever. On his estate, near Inverness, Scotland, Lord Tweedmouth wished to develop
a dog which was loyal and kind, yet spirited and energetic, with a love for the water and an ability to
retrieve. His early vision of a Golden Retriever was for a dog that would have great enthusiasm for
retrieving waterfowl.

BigGreenMachine
09-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I'd also like to know what specific gene. Sounds like hatered on his part and nothing more.

As for your lab, I know of a black lab that is the sweetest thing and ten other that are yappy mutts. What does it prove, nothing except the owners took care of it whereas the others roamed free and now run up to anything that moves barking like they are going to attack.

Again, not singling out labs, just using it as an example. Just because you had a shatty experience with them does not mean the rest are evil incarnate.

Wise up and open your mind to that.

Its my opinion that Rotties are great dogs and very sweet natured if brought up right, I'm sure everyone agrees.

I also like the point about little dog bites vs the bigger ones.

Dustin87R
09-25-2007, 09:59 PM
pit bulls were originally bred for stopping runaway cattle and bulls in the early 1800s then in almost as early 1800s englishmen started using them to bull brindle(latching onto the bulls nose to stop him) they were made to withstand the bucking and stomping of the bull without letting go. That was made illegal later on in the 1800s by english law, since they could not do that anymore PIT fighting was put into the limelight. These animals were inbred to increase the unstable behavior. DO you know why the UKC was formed?(UNITED KENNEL CLUB) because the founder could not get his PIT akc registered..... they had been around way before that and refused to recognize it and still do today! you can not refuse the facts, it is not for me to say you can't have one, but at least recognize the fact that they are more pron to be dangerous than any other breed. NOt just because of the owners, but also their DNA.....Just because yours is sweet to you and all does not mean that GENE is gone. it is just dormant and trained.....

Im not sure where you got this info from but it's far from the truth. The akc has accepted the pitbull in thier registry for years but they register them as amstaff terriers. The pitbull was never inbred to increase unstable behavior the dogmen of the past actually culled the unstable and human aggressive pups.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 10:01 PM
http://www.akc.org/breeds/
here show me pit bull american or english

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 10:09 PM
I'd also like to know what specific gene. Sounds like hatered on his part and nothing more.

As for your lab, I know of a black lab that is the sweetest thing and ten other that are yappy mutts. What does it prove, nothing except the owners took care of it whereas the others roamed free and now run up to anything that moves barking like they are going to attack.

Again, not singling out labs, just using it as an example. Just because you had a shatty experience with them does not mean the rest are evil incarnate.

Wise up and open your mind to that.

Its my opinion that Rotties are great dogs and very sweet natured if brought up right, I'm sure everyone agrees.

I also like the point about little dog bites vs the bigger ones.

Ok first I do not have a LAB I have a Golden Retriever. 2nd I do not like Pits this is true, but my opinion is derived from facts, not just passion. 3rd if you do not believe that a pit is the most "dangerous"breed of dog short of a wolf mix , than you must also believe in ghost goblins and trolls. I am sure you are a great person who uses Pit for the best possible intentions, I am sure that they are known in your circles as great duck hunters or pointers or anything besides gaurd dogs. I just happen to hunt/ love dogs, and have an alarm, and can defend myself and own several guns, I also like my dogs to have excellent temperment no matter where they are. I can stick them in front of any other dog in the world and they still submit and love them. I have no need to prove my masculinity

Dustin87R
09-25-2007, 10:10 PM
To correctly give the origin and history of the American Staffordshire Terrier, it is necessary to comment briefly on two other dogs, namely the Bulldog and the terrier.

Until the early part of the 19th century; the Bulldog was bred with great care in England for the purpose of baiting bulls. The Bulldog of that day was vastly different from our present-day "sourmug." Pictures from as late as 1870 represent the Bulldog as agile and as standing straight on his legs-his front legs in particular. In some cases he was even possessed of a muzzle, and long rat tails were not uncommon. The Bulldog of that day, with the exception of the head, looked more like the present-day American Staffordshire Terrier than like the present-day Bulldog.

Some writers contend it was the white English Terrier, or the Black-and-Tan Terrier, that was used as a cross with the Bulldog to perfect the Staffordshire Terrier. It seems easier to believe that any game terrier, such as the Fox Terrier of the early 1800s, was used in this cross, since some of the foremost authorities on dogs of that time state that the Black-and-Tan and the white English Terrier were none too game, but these same authorities go on to stress the gameness of the Fox Terrier. It is reasonable to believe that breeders who were attempting to perfect a dog that would combine the spirit and agility of the terrier with the courage and tenacity of the Bulldog, would not use a terrier that was not game. In analyzing the three above-mentioned terriers at that time, we find that there was not a great deal of difference in body conformation, the greatest differences being in color, aggressiveness, and spirit.

In any event, it was the cross between the Bulldog and the terrier that resulted in the Staffordshire Terrier, which was originally called the Bull-and-Terrier Dog, Half and Half, and at times Pit Dog or Pit Builterrier. Later, it assumed the name in England of Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

These dogs began to find their way into America as early as 1870, where they became known as Pit Dog, Pit Bull Terrier, later American Bull Terrier, and still later as Yankee Terrier.

In 1936, they were accepted for registration in the AKC Stud Book as Staffordshire Terriers. The name of the breed was revised effective January 1, 1972 to American Staffordshire Terrier. Breeders in this country had developed a type which is heavier in weight than the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of England and the name change was to distinguish them as separate breeds.

The American Staffordshire Terrier's standard allows a variance in weight, but it should be in proportion to size. The dog's chief requisites should be strength unusual for his size, soundness, balance, a strong powerful head, a well-muscled body, and courage that is proverbial.

To clarify the confusion that may exist, even in the minds of dog fanciers, as to the difference between the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Bull Terrier, a comment on the latter may be helpful. The Bull Terrier was introduced by James Hinks of Birmingham, who had been experimenting for several years with the old bull-and-terrier dog, now known as Staffordshire. It is generally conceded that he used the Staffordshire, crossed with the white English Terrier, and some writers contend that a dash of Pointer and Dalmatian blood was also used to help perfect the all-white Bull Terrier.

In mentioning the gameness of the Staffordshire, it is not the intention to tag him as a fighting machine, or to praise this characteristic. These points are discussed because they are necessary in giving the correct origin and history of the breed. The good qualities of the dogs are many, and it would be difficult for anyone to overstress them.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 10:12 PM
also forgot my other points I do know people with pits here my friends and an ex and no they did not attack me. Do a search for golden retriever attacks and see what you come up with.....and as far as little dogs go, I am not a fan of little dogs by far I cant stand nippy yappy chiwis, but if one bites you, you can flick it away with a finger.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 10:23 PM
ok I am not picking on you either but can you honestly on record tell me that you would feel as safe if you take 15 random pits in any city in america and put them in a room alone with a 4 year old curious kid, versus 15 beagles or goldens or similar breeds random picked?

BigGreenMachine
09-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't leave my curious 4yr old child in a room with 15 dogs period, regardless of breed.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 10:27 PM
the pits are bred to be more aggresive in the same way that retrievers are bred to have a "soft" bite i can get my golden riled up and wrestling and if they try to bite me I cant even feel it. they are bred so they do not damage the foul when bringing it back

Dustin87R
09-25-2007, 10:28 PM
No I wouldn't leave a small child unsupervised around any dog.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 10:29 PM
lol I will take that as a no

Dirtcrasher
09-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Well.... I almost never hear about a Shepard or Golden attacking someones kid. It always seems to be a Pit Bull that eats a kids face off. I'll agree it seems that it's in there nature and genetics to go psycho. I've met some awful nice pits but mostly I don't even want to be in the same area with them as I never know if there gonna flip out and chew my arm off. I've heard numerous stories where the owner claimed "he was such a good dog, never bit anyone" except the neighbors kid who doesn't have a nose anymore...

Dustin87R
09-25-2007, 10:33 PM
lol I will take that as a no

Take it as you wish but if you leaving a child unatteded with a dog you must be an idiot.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 10:35 PM
anyways its all good you can have whatever you want I dont care i just will never have one allthough i am looking for a well trained Dobey.LOL I just suggest you don't move next door to me without proper warning. But this is america allthough here in the OKC limits you have to have proper insurance for a pit I could be wrong but I think the policy has to be a million. anyways good lively debate, aint mad at ya, just cant stand it when people fess up to the fact that a breed is prone to one type of behavior, I will do some research on the AKC i was under the belief that AKC didnt have pits, I will have to see what the differance is, but UKC was founded by a guy who wanted pits in You can look that up, dont remember his name, but AKC I will correct myself here if I am wrong, i dont think I have ever seen a pit In the shows, either way it does not prove the temperment to be false.

Dustin87R
09-25-2007, 10:37 PM
The founder of the UKC was C.Z Bennet.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Take it as you wish but if you leaving a child unatteded with a dog you must be an idiot.

ok I never called you an idiot, I would never leave a child alone I was merely making a point that you cant defend. I have never belittled you or called you names. the normal assumption of pit owners is "rednecks and thug rappers" and various ethnic name. I never thought anything of the sort about you, and defended your right to have one, so don't start that, this is a debate! not a slam fest slandering others and showing a lack of cooth and general attitude.

Dustin87R
09-25-2007, 10:44 PM
I wasn't calling you an idiot I said anyone that leaves an unsupervised child in the same room with a dog is an idiot .

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 10:46 PM
either way if you cant understand a reference point than you shouldnt respond, You know for a person that says I am untolerant of other peoples views, you are awful quick to shout me down

BigGreenMachine
09-25-2007, 10:47 PM
He said a minute ago golden's don't get agressive and mean and then later went off about how when his golden bites him he barely feels it.

....sounds like a lot of hooplah over some very misguided and mistreated dogs.

A lot of thread bastardization is what it is let me tell you, kwbyfrmhell, please leave this post taking your bad attitude towards Rotties and Pitts somewhere it belongs, like on a quad forum...seeing as how they are just as closed minded about things that can potentially hurt you if used wrong.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 10:49 PM
He said a minute ago golden's don't get agressive and mean and then later went off about how when his golden bites him he barely feels it.

....sounds like a lot of hooplah over some very misguided and mistreated dogs.

A lot of thread bastardization is what it is let me tell you, kwbyfrmhell, please leave this post taking your bad attitude towards Rotties and Pitts somewhere it belongs, like on a quad forum...seeing as how they are just as closed minded about things that can potentially hurt you if used wrong.

did you not read the part of me play fighting and wrestling with my golden or did that convienantly slip your mind when you where tryin to make your point?

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Dude you dont make any sense at all. Genes DO NOT have anything to do with personality or behaviors of a dog, or any animal at that, or us humans. Its just looks. Its how there raised and what personality comes out of that. For example, you get a pup and raise it up to be a fighting dog. You raise it to fight other animals, they will just think it a game. And besides seeing a bone or ball, they see another animal they are going to go play/fight with it, again thinking its a game. Seems to me your getting at that there is this so called gene in them to be aggresive or mean. NO, its how there raised. And you say "Just because yours is sweet to you and all does not mean that GENE is gone. it is just dormant and trained" It is just dormant and Trained??? Oh yea, I forgot pitbulls are born mean and you have to train them to be nice.

As far as this, nothing is more dangerous than what the ability of the owner has to raise the dog. You think the dogs that are raised to fight actually wana fight and get hurt? No, but this is all they know and what they think life is about for them because they were raised that way. They dont know no better

And may I ask what was the point of this? Your ONE dog didnt attack while his til got stepped on. That doesnt prove nothing. I could do the same to my pitbull and nothing would happen ???

And last, we also have 2 other dogs. German shepard and collie mix. So dont think im just holding up for the pitbull, just because we have some

Ok I said that the pit was the most dangerous not the only one or no other dog is dangerous, the same applies to you on the tail inccident, just because you may be able to do that with your pit doesnt mean that is always the case, just like my golden . goldens may not always not bite in that situation, but I will be you my Tecate that a whole lot more goldens would not bite versus Pits, if you were to study it.

RID3R
09-25-2007, 11:03 PM
the same applies to you on the tail inccident, just because you may be able to do that with your pit doesnt mean that is always the case, just like my golden .

Exactly. So what was the point in bringing up the tail inccident in the first place? It doesnt prove nothing

BigGreenMachine
09-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Point I was trying to make was that you made the dog agressive and bite you. The golden is supposed to be this super friendly dog but it will bite.

I understand it is playing with you.

Now imagine you did this from day one of that dog's life. Can you picture how easy it would be to coax that agressiveness out of him and how far from playing it would be?

That is how a large majority of pits and other such large dogs get raised. By people that want something people will fear.

People suck.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Did You Know?

Children suffer 60% of all dog bites. (1)
73% of children were bitten on the face, neck, or head. (1)
More than 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs each year. (1)
Dog bites cost over $1 billion a year, with insurance companies paying out $250 million in liability claims. (1)
Children are 900 times more likely to be bitten by dogs than mail carriers. (2)
Dog attacks account for one-third of all homeowner liability claims. (3)
Pit Bulls and Rottweilers are involved in over 50% of dog attacks. (4)
There is an 80% chance that a biting dog is male. (4)
40% of all households own a dog. (4)
Dog bites occur more frequently during the summer months, on weekends and holidays. (5)
65% of all bites take place while the animal is being fed, played with, teased, abused, or separated from another dog. (5)
61% of all dog bites occur in or near the owner's home. (6)
Dog bites are the second most common cause of childhood emergency room injuries. (6)
The reported number of dog bites rose 36% from 1986 to 1996. (7)
(1) Kidsource.com
(2) US Post Office
(3) Western Insurance Information Services
(4) U.S. Humane Society
(5) Macedirect.com
(6) Journal of American Medical Association
(7) National Center for Injury Prevention and Safety

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Point I was trying to make was that you made the dog agressive and bite you. The golden is supposed to be this super friendly dog but it will bite.

I understand it is playing with you.

Now imagine you did this from day one of that dog's life. Can you picture how easy it would be to coax that agressiveness out of him and how far from playing it would be?

That is how a large majority of pits and other such large dogs get raised. By people that want something people will fear.

People suck.

yes I do things with my golden that you are not supposed to do, i play tug of war, I box, but my dogs will NEVER bite me hard out of anger or frustration, you cant do this with pits or rots IN GENERAL they dont understand and havent been bred since the beginning to have soft bites ,

Dustin87R
09-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Have you looked up golden retriever attacks on google there's quite a few of them on there.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 11:11 PM
I found

Dustin87R
09-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Keep looking there's several on there.

kwbyfrmhell
09-25-2007, 11:13 PM
I gotta run the ole lady went to bed and was looking good, but I will follow up tomorrow

stoney420
09-25-2007, 11:26 PM
that link dont work dustin

BigGreenMachine
09-25-2007, 11:42 PM
http://www.sidyboysfoolin.com/APBT.html

BigGreenMachine
09-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Yup, Corey even held Apollo down by his neck (playing, not being mean) and the dog did nothing in return.

Very friendly animal and he had a hard life up until Corey got him. Poor thing, he runs away from beer bottles because of whatever his previous owners did to him.

RID3R
09-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Good read on that link bgm, this is why I asked kybyfrmhell has he ever owned a pitbull or going by what someone says. Very true what is said in that link, such as this

-Most people who think or say "Pit Bulls" are inherently mean, have most likely never met one and rely on the inaccurate media hyped portrayal of "Pit Bulls" as the backbone of their opinions.

Black86tri-z
09-26-2007, 12:23 AM
i play tug of war wit my rotty and evan get down on all 4's bark at him and wrestle with him, never broke any of my skin , you just need to show them your boss!!!

Black86tri-z
09-26-2007, 12:26 AM
3 wheeler's + mustang's + rotty's = american bad ass!

tecat-z
09-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Well, i'm not going to voice my 'opinion' on this topic. But i do know what the overwealming statistics are in regards to the pitbull and rott. I have known many people over the years who have owned these dogs. I've had some very good encounters with them, and some where i don't even put myself in the situation due to the dogs demeanor. We can argue beliefs all we want, but the facts are non negotiable. I am a dog lover, and currently own a papered and registered male German Shepherd. We raised him just as we did our first one, but this dog has a very strong protective nature about him. I don't trust him around people he doesn't know AT ALL! He's a absolute baby around the family, and with our two cats. But, i know his body english and his temperment, and know what he will do . I can, and do, wrestle with him every day. But would never consider him a nice dog to the general public. Our other Shepherd that passed away was very intimitating in stature, but i trusted him at all times. Never had one issue with him. My current dog has bitten 2 of my friends early on when he was around a year. He's now 3 and is a very loving dog in his environment, which by the way usually involves sleeping on our bed. But he has to be handled with respect and care to keep everyone, including him safe. It goes without saying, my favorite dog in the world is a male German Shepherd dog. He is the most widely used task dog in the world for many reasons. Not to mention the finest looking, and most noble of them all. (imo) But like many other breeds, some require special attention to keep everyone safe and happy.

ATC-Eric
09-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Okay, here I go.

I fell that pitbuls have to do with a large amount of the attacks BECAUSE of the "people" that buy them. The majority of people that buy pits (from my observation) have been back woods rednecks, and, well, we'll call them gangbangers. Both of these groups have no interest in the dog itself it seems, just the image the dog creates. Dont misquote me here, there are LOTS of good hearted dog people that also seek these animals, it just seems that retards are the ones that end up with them a good number of the time, and just let the dogs raise themselves with the occasional beating. Then all the sudden the neighbors kid is missing an ear and "oh she was such a sweetheart!" BULLSHT!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a number of excilent real life examples of this.

I met a 7 YEAR OLD pit the other day, was as friendly as they come. Her name was Icies (spelling) No aggression what-so-ever. Right after her owner put her food down he even said, "go ahead, grab her food dish." (saying that she would just wag her tale and look at you.) I wrestled with this dog, rolled her around on the floor, she was one of the biggest sweethearted dogs Ive met to date.

Then theres the neighbors, just had a litter of pits. This 3 month old puppy kept running next store to see what we were up to, and several times I took her home, while she drew blood and nawed on my arm. I soon realiezed it was THE OWNERS DOING!!!!!! They came outside to retrieve the pit from me, grabbed it by the skin on her neck and vilently took her inside. That is going to be a bad dog.

I dont care what you say, if you took a labrador and put it in the same situation, I would bet my truck it would turn out mean just like that pit will someday.

And for the record, I have also met some MEAN labradors.

RedRider_AK
09-26-2007, 02:39 AM
Well.... I almost never hear about a Shepard or Golden attacking someones kid.

My neighbors had a German Shepherd that was the epitome of evil. I lived next to it my whole life, and it would still bark every time I passed by. My little sister was playing outside and walked too close to it once, and it lunged at her. I was right next to her when it happened and I think that my foot in steel-toe boots was the only thing that kept that damn dog from biting my sister's arm off. I kicked it in the throat and it seemed to lose interest pretty quickly. And then a week later it was mysteriously gone and replaced with a different dog! :wondering

kwbyfrmhell
09-26-2007, 09:59 AM
All I am saying Is that 20 years ago, you never really heard about pits, they were not in the news everyday. Then the rappers started breeding them and next day they are everywhere, the new thing to have. I do not care if you have one, I hope you are very happy together, just be honest and recognize the fact that they are a group of dogs that need to be trained and watched in a more strict nature than a Docile dog. thats it.

BigGreenMachine
09-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Tecat-z and Eric raised some good points. Its all about the owner IMO.

Just as some people aren't fit to raise children there are some that aren't fit to raise animals.

kwbyfrmhell
09-26-2007, 10:44 AM
yes but you give the same crappy owner a golden and a pit to raise crappy 9 times out of ten the golden will still not be a rabid biting dog they have never been bred for that, they were bred to be kind and submisive.

chris200x
09-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Guys guys guys... how can a simple dog thread turn into a 75 post arguement? We're supposed to be fighting over rare NOS/OEM parts and Tiger 3wheelers. not dogs! :rolleyes:

Past the popcorn.. this is most enjoyable.:lol:

kwbyfrmhell
09-26-2007, 11:05 AM
lol
ya its a sensitive subject on both sides, I dig that they want to defend their breed its all good. maybe we could get a lock on this thread

BigGreenMachine
09-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Where are the statistics showing that 9 times out of 10 a pitbull will be raised to be a rabid biting dog?

hublake
09-26-2007, 01:31 PM
I always thought this web site had people who had expertise in ATCs not Canines.

ATC-Eric
09-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I always thought this web site had people who had expertise in ATCs not Canines.

:postwhore You sir have been misinformed :postwhore

We can also help you rewire your house, plan your vacation, or even fix your parking tickets :lol:

kwbyfrmhell
09-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Kybyfrmhell your problem is your using pitbulls as one, and making there aggression some may have to be all natural of a pitbull. Again you said "its just in there genes". Maybe you should word what you say a little diff, and think before you say something. Or youve never owned a pitbull or rott, and you just dont know half as much as you think you do?

are you friggen kidding me are you going to honestly say on record that pitbulls and rots and dobeys and the like are as naturally docile as a golden or a beagle or a basset hound??? give me a yes or no! let us hear your opinion, I am not talking about yours or *Edited**Edited* buddy's but in GENERALLL!!! please tell me ? generally not every one....

kwbyfrmhell
09-26-2007, 04:49 PM
dont know why that was edited I just Typed u r s

kwbyfrmhell
09-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Have you never seen the newstories or read the paper?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pitbull+attack

kwbyfrmhell
09-26-2007, 04:51 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=golden+retriever+attack

kwbyfrmhell
09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I am sorry if you dont understand why they were bred, I will never change your mind and you will never change mine so lets all relax enjoy our dogs and live life

kwbyfrmhell
09-26-2007, 05:06 PM
ok this is the last post I will put up here I think it is going no where, but just like this says under temperment, not a breed for all owners, they have special needs, and may charge for a fight till the death, tell me most pit owners dont buy them just for the macho image knowing how powerfull and the fighting skills and instinct! I dont need a pit I dont think dogs are for fighting and killing I dont think its cool and that is my right ! Just like you have a right to have a pit!
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanpitbull.htm

Black86tri-z
09-26-2007, 06:45 PM
kwbyfrmhell, no 1 cares about what you have to say about golden retriever's or what ever so just shut the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* up! thank you

Mrs.Mosh
09-26-2007, 07:39 PM
dont know why that was edited I just Typed u r s

The word filter got you because you tried to short hand the word. It is in the rules. See link......
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=9639

Billy Golightly
09-26-2007, 08:17 PM
I think ANY breed can be raised to be aggressive, or completely docile. Hell I've seen some weiner dogs and collies that were pure damn hell. And I've seen Rott's, Dobies, and other "Agressive" breeds be the most docile and friendly dogs ever. its ALL in how the animal is raised and treated.

Dammit!
09-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Went to poker night at a new friends place and as soon as the four of us walk in we are greeted by a fully grown Rottweiler.

I was always a dog person and had no fear of him from the get go but I know the others were a little apprehensive.

He didn't bark, jump up on us or anything that might be perceived as scary. He came around us sniffing and I held out my hand to him so he could get a wiff. Very gentle and behaved dog which I must say says a lot about his owners.

Apollo was adopted by my friends at 1 year old. He is fully trained, does a couple tricks and obeys when told. Such a big sooky dog at 120lbs. He stuck around the poker table the whole night and chilled with us enjoying some nice rubdowns and scratches behind the ears. Such a gentle dog and cute with a big baby face. I truely want one as soon as I can fully take on the responsibility.

Anyone that thinks badly of Rotts and other such animals really need to spend time around one.

Some pics, not Apollo but damn are they ever cute.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/rottweiler.htm

Nice Rottweiler. Here's a pic of a Rot Wheeler (http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52574&d=1189897266). :D

x.system
09-26-2007, 11:43 PM
This is Pudge Rot/Basset mix, 8 weeks old here at 17 pounds.

http://i20.tinypic.com/14ikg8j.gif
http://i24.tinypic.com/142zmyp.jpg

Here he is again at 16 weeks and 35 pounds.

http://i22.tinypic.com/4ptgua.jpg

ATC-Eric
09-27-2007, 12:35 AM
A rot and a basset getting it on? Now thats funny right there :lol: :w00t:

Hope somebody took pics :banned:

RID3R
09-27-2007, 01:21 PM
are you friggen kidding me are you going to honestly say on record that pitbulls and rots and dobeys and the like are as naturally docile as a golden or a beagle or a basset

Well pitbulls are not naturally dangerous. Its just they, for that "look" over goldens or whatever, are more picked out for the wrong reasons and everyone thinks its just how they are. Im suprised you like 3wheelers if you think this way about dogs or "pitbulls" Same idiots that are careless and get injured on 3wheelers and make them look bad are the same idiots who make pitbulls or rotts look bad, cause the way they chose to raise them. Think about it. I have nothing more to say,..

stoney420
09-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Well pitbulls are not naturally dangerous. Its just they, for that "look" over goldens or whatever, are more picked out for the wrong reasons and everyone thinks its just how they are. Im suprised you like 3wheelers if you think this way about dogs or "pitbulls" Same idiots that are careless and get injured on 3wheelers and make them look bad are the same idiots who make pitbulls or rotts look bad, cause the way they chose to raise them. Think about it. I have nothing more to say,..

couldnt have said it better myself! :beer

kwbyfrmhell
09-27-2007, 06:06 PM
I still have yet to see your proven point I have listed statistics, insurance statistics, A pit breeding website that said have a history, and by the way AKC does not register the american pit bull terrier, they register the strat terrier, they say there is a difference, that when the strats where brought to USA, the lineage went astray,.... want PROOF? read here
http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/americanpitbullterrier.html

And I have to tell you if you dont understand genetics, I do not know how to make it any clearer. If genetics are not in play, then why dont hunters buy poodles, or border collies, or , rots, or etc etc..... why dont pit fighters use golden retrievers????? because they are not bred (genetics) to fight!Why does a hunter go through the trouble of finding the best retriever out of the litter???
Go to any dog fighting event, or Military training of police K9 training facility(not talking about bomb sniffin or drug sniffing) tell me how many goldens you see????
Because they were not bred for this DUH.
here is some good reading if you are as open minded as you say you are read the whole thing including the warnings!!!

kwbyfrmhell
09-27-2007, 06:08 PM
i really love it where they say dog on dog aggresion is normal for this breed

Dustin87R
09-27-2007, 06:15 PM
I still have yet to see your proven point I have listed statistics, insurance statistics, A pit breeding website that said have a history, and by the way AKC does not register the american pit bull terrier, they register the strat terrier, they say there is a difference, that when the strats where brought to USA, the lineage went astray,.... want PROOF? read here

And I have to tell you if you dont understand genetics, I do not know how to make it any clearer. If genetics are not in play, then why dont hunters buy poodles, or border collies, or , rots, or etc etc..... why dont pit fighters use golden retrievers????? because they are not bred (genetics) to fight!Why does a hunter go through the trouble of finding the best retriever out of the litter???
Go to any dog fighting event, or Military training of police K9 training facility(not talking about bomb sniffin or drug sniffing) tell me how many goldens you see????
Because they were not bred for this DUH.
here is some good reading if you are as open minded as you say you are read the whole thing including the warnings!!!

Well the info I posted for you came straight from the akc's web site so maybe you should consider your source or just realize that the akc isn't that great of a registry. Just for the record it's an Amstaff terrier not a Strat terrier.

Dustin87R
09-27-2007, 06:25 PM
i really love it where they say dog on dog aggresion is normal for this breed

What do you expect it's in their "GENE'S" that's what they were bred to do.

kwbyfrmhell
09-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Well the info I posted for you came straight from the akc's web site so maybe you should consider your source or just realize that the akc isn't that great of a registry. Just for the record it's an Amstaff terrier not a Strat terrier.

ok once again you did not read all the way..... the AKC does not consider the pit a full blood, not the strat.... they consider the pit to be a off chute of the strat with different traits

kwbyfrmhell
09-27-2007, 06:32 PM
What do you expect it's in their "GENE'S" that's what they were bred to do.

thank you could not of said it better myself I think it was R3der that, did not believe its Genetic

stoney420
09-27-2007, 06:35 PM
wow lol would u guys let it go already we get the point :)

kwbyfrmhell
09-27-2007, 06:36 PM
here ya go straight from the AKC read the bottom 2 paragraphs, the PIT BULL is a different breed, a cross breed

http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_staffordshire_terrier/history.cfm

Dustin87R
09-27-2007, 06:47 PM
thank you could not of said it better myself I think it was R3der that, did not believe its Genetic

Yeah but there's a difference in dog aggression and human aggression that's the point I've been arguing all along.

Dustin87R
09-27-2007, 06:49 PM
here ya go straight from the AKC read the bottom 2 paragraphs, the PIT BULL is a different breed, a cross breed

http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_staffordshire_terrier/history.cfm

In any event, it was the cross between the Bulldog and the terrier that resulted in the Staffordshire Terrier, which was originally called the Bull-and-Terrier Dog, Half and Half, and at times Pit Dog or Pit Builterrier. Later, it assumed the name in England of Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

These dogs began to find their way into America as early as 1870, where they became known as Pit Dog, Pit Bull Terrier, later American Bull Terrier, and still later as Yankee Terrier.

In 1936, they were accepted for registration in the AKC Stud Book as Staffordshire Terriers. The name of the breed was revised effective January 1, 1972 to American Staffordshire Terrier. Breeders in this country had developed a type which is heavier in weight than the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of England and the name change was to distinguish them as separate breeds

If this dosen't clear things up for you maybe you should call the akc and ask them.

kwbyfrmhell
09-27-2007, 06:55 PM
you left some things out if you got that from the akc

kwbyfrmhell
09-27-2007, 06:59 PM
if you followed the directions I gave you, you would see this

To clarify the confusion that may exist, even in the minds of dog fanciers, as to the difference between the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Bull Terrier, a comment on the latter may be helpful. The Bull Terrier was introduced by James Hinks of Birmingham, who had been experimenting for several years with the old bull-and-terrier dog, now known as Staffordshire. It is generally conceded that he used the Staffordshire, crossed with the white English Terrier, and some writers contend that a dash of Pointer and Dalmatian blood was also used to help perfect the all-white Bull Terrier.

In mentioning the gameness of the Staffordshire, it is not the intention to tag him as a fighting machine, or to praise this characteristic. These points are discussed because they are necessary in giving the correct origin and history of the breed. The good qualities of the dogs are many, and it would be difficult for anyone to overstress them.

Dustin87R
09-27-2007, 07:00 PM
That is the 4th,5th and 6th paragraph show me what I left out.

Dustin87R
09-27-2007, 07:11 PM
The bull terrier and pitbull are completely different breeds.

BigGreenMachine
09-27-2007, 07:20 PM
This is Pudge Rot/Basset mix, 8 weeks old here at 17 pounds.

http://i20.tinypic.com/14ikg8j.gif
http://i24.tinypic.com/142zmyp.jpg

Here he is again at 16 weeks and 35 pounds.

http://i22.tinypic.com/4ptgua.jpg

That is one cute puppy!! Makes me want one!