PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about building my first "custom" ATV.

Wickedfinger
05-15-2003, 04:34 PM
While I've rebuilt and restored quite a number of ATV's in my past, I never had the urge to build a "custom" type ride. Well, the time may have come for this to happen ... maybe. I have sitting in my lap, the chance to buy two different quad projects and combine them as one. This being said, many on this board know of my affinity for air-cooled two-strokes, especially the early R motors. I really am in love with their simple design and reliable nature. Now for the deals - The first quad is an interesting one: Its a 1988 Yamaha Warrior that in itself was a custom bike. It was a friend of a friends project involving a 750cc, 4 cyl streetbike engine that its owners called "The Ultimate Warrior". They actually got it to run for a while but abandoned it due to lack of interest (from all accounts it was fast as a raped ape). Now it sits as a rolling chassis, with newer rear "Viper" tires, minus the 750, plastic, and seat. Also, the rear shock is blown. The second bike is the remains of a 1995 Yamaha Blaster that was wrecked in the garage fire of a kid I know at work. While most of the bike was destroyed, the engine was left virtually untouched. Now heres where it gets interesting - I was toying around with the idea of combining the Warrior chassis with the Blaster motor, Pumping up the 200's displacement by buying a 240cc kit from Vito's, and calling it the "Damn Blasted Warrior" or "Project Balster". Now I have a couple of things going my way with this. The first thing is the out-put shaft is on the same side of these motors. The second is the blaster motor is a 1/3 smaller than the warriors and unlike most projects, getting it to fit will be a breeze. The third is the fact that this warrior will be ALOT lighter than a stock one - no battery, no starter,no reverse gear or rigging, and an engine that might be as much as 1/2 the weight of the stock warriors. Finally the fourth is initial price - I'm pretty sure I can get the Warrior chassis for nothing and the Blaster motor for less than 2 bills. Now for some of the problems I can foresee: The first is the fact that the Blasters airbox is not detachable from the rear fender and I will have to try and rig up a system using the warriors - using a clamp-on is out of the question due to my riding conditions. The second will be getting some custom mounting brackets made. The third problem will be overall cost involved - Some of the things needed just to get it somewhat finished are: a good, used rear warrior shock, $250 - full set of Maier plastics, $300 - new seatcover, $45 for a ceet, $100 for a Hi-flite - an aftermarket twist throttle because I know I'll never get the T.O.R.S. working right, $45 for a Motion pro - custom parts for the airbox, $30? - new clutch cable, $25, handle-bars, grips, $50 - maybe $50 -$100 for the mounts, and perhaps $100 extra for misc. stuff. Now all that is just what I'll need to get it running - theres no way I'm shelling out $500+ bucks for the 240 kit before its a complete project. Well thats about it, please respond and let me know what you all think. I probably won't do this without any imput from the peanut gallery here at my second home, TWW. :clap

Andrew
05-15-2003, 05:19 PM
i think if u wanna do it,u should go for it!,sounds like it would be 1 bad golfcart!,good luck! -D

ATCRYDER
05-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Good Idea minus using the Warrior or Blaster chassis. Maybe a YZ250 powered Blaster though? If I were you Id build yourself a trick 250R (I know ya already had an LT...give the R a try. =0) )

4cylinders
05-15-2003, 09:50 PM
hey, warriors are too heavy for anything smaller than 500cc. take a good look at the yellow thing on the left, warrior plastic, 250r front end. 200x rear axle, flat out flies. the beasts brother was a 250x, now a 750x. If you are going to spend all that time and money, make it real fast!!!!

G-MAN-1
05-15-2003, 10:45 PM
they do sell a after market air box for the blaster its all aluminum, you have to cut the one out of the rear plastic for this one and its about 250 buxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. look around you will find it. i think i seen it in dennis kirk or chapparel..... :idea:

atcmatt
05-17-2003, 05:31 AM
go for it but use a trike chassis itll be more rewarding!!!!

matt

Wickedfinger
05-18-2003, 01:58 PM
... Interesting comments and I totally appreciate your thoughts ... but I think some of you might be missing my point - This project kinda just fell into my lap. Yes, while its not my best choice for a chassis, I would probably be getting the warrior for FREE, and like I said, I REALLY like the AIR-COOLED 2-strokes and I would be getting the blaster motor for cheap. ... Than again, maybe some of you are getting my point and saying "Why the hell would you want to do that?" and "Don't waste your money". I have to say though, the allure of maybe doing something that not alot, if anybody, have done before, might be rewarding in its uniqueness - I mean after all, were not talking your everyday 200S motor into a 200X chassis or 350X powered 300EX project - I like the thought of being an underdog.