PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Yamaha Timberwolf owners! Having some problems...

Tantrix
09-29-2007, 04:45 AM
A guy near me was hard up for money due to losing his job and said he'd take $100 cash for a Yamaha Timberwolf 2WD he had sitting in his yard so I snagged it. I don't know what year it is, but the plastics are green. Anyway, here's the problems I've found after running it some tonight (After handing him the cash I actually rode it back to my house which was about 5 miles)

1) It smokes a pretty good but (blue smoke) when first cranked, and smokes a little while running but never completely stops smoking. I checked the plug, it had very little buildup on it and was not wet (no oil on it). There are no oil leaks anywhere on the engine either, I've looked it over a million times.

2) It sputters when at about 1/2 throttle, but runs fine when at 1/4 and full throttle. Has a Mikuni carb on it, I think stock...didn't do much to it besides disconnect the accelerator cable and look inside to see if it had gunk in it or anything. It looked pretty clean inside where I could see. It may need to be adjusted or rebuilt but the smoking is worrying me more at the moment.

3) Sometimes, it will idle high like the accelerator is stuck. What I mean by that is when I release the throttle it doesn't always return to a low idle, then I stab the throttle and it returns to a regular idle.

4) It sometimes is hard to get back and forth from reverse to 1st gear. It will get stuck and takes me a few yanks and rocking the quad back and forth but it will eventually go back to 1st. Is it a sign of transmission problems or maybe just a quirk of the Timberwolf I should get used to?

Any input is welcome, I'd like to get these bugs worked out.

Thanks guys.

SYKO
09-29-2007, 12:04 PM
1) Rings Or Valve Seals Worn, No Biggie Ride Till It Smokes Like A Freight Train

2) Carb Jets Are Dirty Do A Fuel Carb Rebuild And Clean

3) Its Got A Vacume Leak Between The Carb And The Engine (quick Fix Smear Silicon All Over Intake Boot) Other Wise Get New Intake Boot And Gaskets

4) Its A Yamaha, Stupid Reverse Engagement, Just Dont Go Any Where You Have To Use Reverse! Lol!

Ride The Piss Out Of It!

cody2
09-29-2007, 12:48 PM
$100 is an insane deal though for what you got

DIGGER DOG
10-07-2007, 10:20 AM
I am In agreement with syko on the majority of his post dont like the frankinstein on intake though but that could cure it
there is a linkage on the reverse lever you can adjust if its not too worn out you also might wnat to check the enrichener
(choke) at the carb it could be stuck or if the rubber boot over the 14 mm nut attached to carb(on choke cable) is cracked it could be letting in air .
Pull the carb clean it especially idle jet ,check intake for cracks .If its blowing alot of dark smoke its fuel, fuel air adj and idle drop but if you dont know what youre doing itll never run right I would just adj.fuel air screw 2 1/2 turns out and let it ride.
The tinberwolf is a fun tourqy quad I ride wheelies on customers units at work all the time also be careful when you change the oil filter spray pb blast all over the allen bolts especially the upper left long bolt it has a tendancy to break
and you dont want to go there if it does ther is 2 cases outer and inner the bolt usually breaks even with the inner.