PDA

View Full Version : Help needed 1986 TRX70 Rear Brakes locked up

350Xhilaration
09-30-2007, 04:03 PM
The brakes were binding going backwards and I pulled the cover off to take a peek at the drum brakes. Didn't look like it would come apart quickly and she only wanted to ride in the yard, so I loosened the adjuster up till it rolled easily forward and back and let her ride. After a lil while, the rear brakes locked up completely.

When I pulled the cover off the side and it almost looks like the drum is made onto the axle. Is this correct? Does the axle need pulled through to get the drum off? Are these the same as the ATC70 rear brake setup?

Any help, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rhuel

350Xhilaration
09-30-2007, 04:11 PM
I just downloaded the ATC70 Manual (Thanks Doug!!) and they have an O-Ring that holds the drum on. Hopefully this is the case with the TRX.

Might have time later tonight to pull it apart. I'll keep you posted, but please post up if I'm not right on this.

Thanks

fuller01
09-30-2007, 11:17 PM
i had the same problem with my 86 trx 70 the pads were so old they fell apart and locked up the rear end it was so long ago i dont remember how to get it apart

350Xhilaration
10-02-2007, 07:49 PM
You nailed it on the head fuller01!!! Thanks for the insight.

Shoes fell apart inside and jammed. Was a bugger getting the drum off.

New shoes and about 30 minutes of reassembly and she'll be ready to ride her quad again!!

You can see in the pic the linings just hanging out inside the drum.