PDA

View Full Version : New helmet, another Arai.

Billy Golightly
10-02-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm finally retiring my old white one. I've had it and used it almost every day for the past 5 years, and has been the absolute best helmet ever.

With that kind of a history and satisfaction, I couldn't NOT buy another one. The old helmet is an Arai VX-Pro. The new one is the exact, updated model VX-Pro 3.The Arai helmets are not cheap, but the quality, fit, and finish is second to none. This is the Rolls Royce of dirt helmets. I took a step away from my traditional, easy to spot, white helmet color and went with the new "Black Frost" color offered by Arai. It will match my gear better and I think the flat black color is pretty awesome looking. Arai has added some really nice new features to version 3 of the VX-Pro, a closable/openable vent in the chin bar, 1 step easily removable side pads in case of an accident, improved air venting on the back and sides, a rubber dirt cover that goes up and actually covers your nose a bit with goggles. Its a hella nice setup. Can't wait to use it :)

Billy Golightly
10-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Last pics....

J.D.
10-02-2007, 05:41 PM
SO how much did it cost?

Billy Golightly
10-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Regularly priced places I found, anywhere from $499 to $450

I paid $350+ shipping from a place in MI called Riders Discount.

Dammit!
10-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Love the flat black. I want to experiment painting my old helmet sometime soon. I bought it in '94 so if I screw it up I figure it's just a good excuse to buy a new one. I want to try painting it flat black with red veins running through it. The flat black part should be easy. Not sure about the veins. :lol:

Bryan Raffa
10-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Nice Billy,,,, Most Important upgrade IMO most all helmet manufactures recommend replacing your helmet after a hard blow or after so many years..Big difference between the $100-$200 helmets and the $400 helmets. I love mine its comfy! I take care of mine now.. no throwing it in the be of the truck:rolleyes:

honda250sx
10-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Billy is that Snell and DOT approved as well?

Billy Golightly
10-02-2007, 10:43 PM
I know, I love that flat black look. Am I geek if I've been wearing it here inside the house with the excuse of "breaking it in"? Must be :lol: I can definitely tell the difference in quality between this, my old helmet, and a $100 special from a bike shop. A helmet is something you dont want to cheap out on by anymeans. It is most definitely snell and dot approved :)

ProCarbine2k1
10-02-2007, 10:55 PM
When are you going to send that thing this way for some airbrushin' and pinstripe work. Heck I'm doing an openface now with a big number/letter job down the side... Gotta love that old school style!

Billy Golightly
10-02-2007, 10:58 PM
I was looking at it this evening thinking about that. The only thing that could come to mind was a big ole red and white bullseye (like on my flat tracker seat) right in the back of it :D Might do it, we'll see.

ProCarbine2k1
10-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Shouldnt be much if you wanted to do it. You could even have the bullseye painted with one-shot sign paint, leave the rest of the helmet the way it is, and not have to worry about clear or anything else.