PDA

View Full Version : T-4 V.I.N. location?

Lomax
10-05-2007, 03:23 PM
I have a Tecate 4 here in the shop that the owner is interested in selling to me but he isnt sure what year it is and neither am I. Can anyone tell me where the VIN number is so I can find out?
Thanks
-Will

SpeedBump
10-05-2007, 04:17 PM
vin should be located on the bottom frame rail...if it has one still legible. Alot of times the frames bent there, and guys reinforced them by welding and such.

There are a few ways to tell what year ya got....they only made em in 87 and 88. A couple of the distinguishing features....gullwing style a-arms on the 88...rear shock rezzy mounts up front on a 87, and on the subframe for a 88. 87 used a Mikuni carb, and 88 went with a keihin. The engine should also have some #s stamped on it too. Not 100% sure if they are the same VIN # and can't verify it with my own T4. Mine has some 87, some 88 and some custom built pieces. Good luck.

Lomax
10-05-2007, 04:43 PM
I sure hope when you say on the bottom frame rail you dont mean on the left side (if i setting on the machine) roughly where the exhaust is.

Lomax
10-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Can anyone answer that last question?

wheelie king
10-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Will- I will check tomorrow to see what my "records" show for possible VIN locations.

SpeedBump
10-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I sure hope when you say on the bottom frame rail you dont mean on the left side (if i setting on the machine) roughly where the exhaust is.
Almost 100% sure....sorry.

Lomax
10-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Almost 100% sure....sorry.

Its filled off :mad: . This sucks. I know that guy that owns it and he's had it for years which means he bought it from someone who likley stole it. He just didnt know any different I dont guess.

SpeedBump
10-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Hey, I just talked to a buddy who has a TITLE and frame. The frame is kinda tweaked, but the title is clear. I talked to him about the location of the VIN and he is almost certain as well....bottom frame rail...left side. The frame he has here has been bent before and welded up, so you can't read the vin as it is covered by some round stock that is welded up solid.

If you are interested...he will sell the title and frame (well, I wouldn't even want the frame....kinda useless as you can't see the actual vin anyway). You should be able to just stamp in the vin down on a frame rail somewhere and just use the title for it. Nobody that ever checks on it will know the difference. The #s will not match the engine, but that is no big deal. Engines get swapped all the time. Just a thought.

Lomax
10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
ALright, I may try to do aomething about it, I am not sure yet. I told the guy i didnt have the money to buy it right now but that i was interested so he told me to just put it out back and let him know something a little later on. I just bought that quadracer a few days ago so I think it would be really great to have 2 out of 3 of the major classics.