PDA

View Full Version : Dual muffler configuration on R ?

Huffa
10-08-2007, 11:59 AM
What effect on a R (air cooled model) would dual exhaust mufflers (both being the same brand), with the other one being "Y"ed to the other side have on it?

Would you gain more top end, no better perfomance at all in any range, the same performance, worse or what ?

I imagine with two, you have a lot less back pressure and it may be a bit uneven flow with more going to the original one ?

Red Rider
10-08-2007, 12:14 PM
I think it would trick the bike into thinking it's an aircooled Banshee. :crazy:

Custom200
10-08-2007, 12:17 PM
I think it would trick the bike into thinking it's an aircooled Banshee. :crazy:

Buahhahahah thats wikked.. I honestly think all it would do is add weight. Look really cool though.

Huffa
10-08-2007, 05:22 PM

Good! ......then it will be faster then :naughty: :lol:

team-red-rider
10-08-2007, 05:23 PM
u mean think its an RD350 hehehe

Nightbiker07
10-08-2007, 07:56 PM
i dont think that 2 silencers will offer any performance increase. in fact, looking at how a tuned pipe works, i think that a dual muffler configuration (unless manufactured like that) will hinder performance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_stroke
this link will help you to better understand what i mean.

it would look cool as sin though :)

Huffa
10-09-2007, 05:36 AM
i dont think that 2 silencers will offer any performance increase. in fact, looking at how a tuned pipe works, i think that a dual muffler configuration (unless manufactured like that) will hinder performance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_stroke
this link will help you to better understand what i mean.

it would look cool as sin though :)

Good link, thanks.

Well I'm just interested in the looks part and if it stays at least equal then I'd do it. Actually I'm curious how it would sound too ? Probably much the same in tone with being a few decibals lower ?

Nightbiker07
10-09-2007, 09:34 PM
i know a guy with duals on his quad. not sure if it is like that from the manufacturer, or if its modified, but its loud as *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*. so probably no effect on the sound.

TrailerRider
10-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Warning.. I am not a engine repair mech.

We have a term in computers repair called "bottle neck". This is where something restricts the flow of data. See little harsh mspaint drawing of why I think the dual exhaust would have no effect.

If your exhuast port hole is 2 inches in diameter and you have stock single exhuast 2inch pipe you get the same amount of flow.

If your exhuast port hole is 2 inches in daimeter and you have stock single 2 inch pipe that splits down the way to the "Y" pipe you should have the same amount of flow coming from the 2 inch exhuast port but the exhuast would flow through 2 pipes maybe giving it a bigger sound.

If you increase the size of the pipe all the way back to the exhust port to a bigger size it may breath easier and maybe a performance gain.

If you increase the exhuast port hole size and increase the pipe size you would maybe get a performace gain.

Any thoughts?

Nightbiker07
10-16-2007, 02:16 PM
no, on an exhaust, expanding the pipe will give you a performance gain, almost guranteed. it drops the backpressure. only true on 4 strokes though.

on a 2 stroke, yes, a bigger pipe will be better, but it has to be a tuned pipe...if its just a 2.5 inch pipe all the way out, its going to run like CRAP.

RedRider_AK
10-17-2007, 12:52 PM
There was a stock dirt bike I remember seeing with dual tuned pipes on a single cylinder motor. I forgot what it was though. It was mighty old.