PDA

View Full Version : Why is my Plug coming loose?? HELP!!! FAST!!

Honda300ex
05-17-2003, 11:11 PM
Its a pretty new plug too. The old one was pretty tough to get out. I put the new one in never noticed a thing. Till my plug wire was near the head and i pull on it and my plug was loose. My dad thought i had not tightend it enuff so we took it out it was a very very light brown color. We screwed it back in and after 20 mins of riding with my newphew on it too I never really got in to and I felt it again it was LOOSE!!! What do you guys think it is? I hope i dont have to get a new head.. I got a new spark plug should i try that? I need help Fast b/c in the moring i will be going to the ATV drags out by my friends house.. HELP!!!!!!

wanta250r
05-18-2003, 12:38 AM
I heard of something called a heli-coil or something that is used for stripped threads. Myabe the threads are stripped out or something.

Honda300ex
05-18-2003, 12:40 AM
I am gonna pull it apart in the moring and look (plastic in the way) . I am gonna try a new plug and see if that helps.. Do you think its runing lean?

kyle
05-18-2003, 01:49 AM
if it is coming loose either you have the wrong plug, or its stripped, one bad thing about a heli coil is you have to drill to the next size bigger. so if you can run a tap down through her without getting too many shavings then do it.

350Xrider
05-18-2003, 03:03 AM
I'd say your fine on it running lean,the plug should be a light brown or tan color. I don't think you have to worry unless you pull it out and it is kind of a flat chared white looking color,that means you are way lean.

Honda300ex
05-18-2003, 10:09 AM
I am gonna go out soon a change the plug and I will see if that helps. I got the right plug it the same as the one that came out of it. :rolleyes:

smokinwrench
05-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Just remember that if you run a tap down the plug hole, or decide you have to use a heli-coil. Make sure you SPIN THE ENGINE OVER MANY TIMES WITHOUT THE PLUG IN IT TO GET THE METAL SHAVINGS OUT OF THE CYLINDER. It would probably be better to remove the head. Josh

Honda300ex
05-18-2003, 10:20 AM
I am First gonna c if a new Plug helps If it dont, I am gonna plug it off, and tap it adn then put a Wiesco Piston in it to maybe give it some power..... It has very little but that might be from the plug being loose.. Compression was gone.. :rolleyes:

hrc200x
05-18-2003, 12:01 PM
New spark plugs have a crush washer, its possible that it tightened up against that washer and you thougth that it was tight, but then the viberations from the motor made the washer crush more and made it not tight so it came loose. Why not put your old plug back in and see if that tightens down? Chances are the crush washer on the old plug is flat as can be. You might also try using a mirrior and flash light to look down the plug hole since its at such a bad angle.

Its very scary putting in new plugs because the washer smushes so much, you think its threads stripping.

Honda300ex
05-18-2003, 12:47 PM
I can't get the evil plug boot off!!!! I got a new plug for it now. My old one was fried so i threw it out.. left it in there a year b/f i changed it... I have to wait for my dad to get up to get hte little boot off.... :x I have no idea y its so hard...

cmracer15
05-18-2003, 06:11 PM
ok,you say you screwed the plug back in,is that hand tight??????..use a plug wrench, and torque the plug to factory specs!...or at least screw the plug in all the way hanf tight..then throw a wrench on it and go another full turn or so..and it should be tight..now everyone is guessing thats your threads or stripped. you never said weather or not you tried to tighten it and the farther you turned it (to the right) it would not get tighter. If thats so..yes your answer is your threads are trashed. but if your putting in the plug hand tight and runing it..try usin a wrench..lemme know whats goin on

Honda300ex
05-18-2003, 06:54 PM
All it need was a new plug the old once washer was junky.. it was a new plug too. It got about 1hr on it now has not came loose yet.. YAY!!!!