PDA

View Full Version : Honda HRC 450RR

Pages : [1] 2

250rfan
10-18-2007, 08:55 AM
I'M GOING TO PUT A 2006 TRX 450eR WITH HRC POWER UP KIT, :naughty: :naughty: INTO THIS 85 250r
ROLLER,,,,,,

Any suggestions on how to go about it?????, :wondering

3leggeddog
10-18-2007, 03:29 PM
yeap,sell that roller,and use a 350x roller instead.it will makeyour life alot easier

Aka_am
10-18-2007, 04:44 PM
350x engine cradle is alot bigger. Whenever i see swaps that what i see people use. I mean it doesn't look as good as a R..but you could always swap parts i think...

250rfan
10-19-2007, 03:51 AM
Okay guys, here goes, first things first -
As you can see in the picture, i have removed the original engine mountings, basically so i can see what room i have to play with.

I know i'll have to lower the bottom part of the frame, to accept the 450 engine, i guess about 2" or so. This will obviously lead to losing some ground clearance, but am not bothered about that.

Jason Hall
10-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Before you cut anymore on the R frame, measure the height of the carb on the 450r engine. I will never clear the top of the shock. You would have to lower the shock alot to make It fit.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff42/Jasons450r/450rcarb3.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff42/Jasons450r/450rside.jpg

250rfan
10-19-2007, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=Jason Hall;543453]Before you cut anymore on the R frame, measure the height of the carb on the 450r engine. I will never clear the top of the shock. You would have to lower the shock alot to make It fit.

Okay,
Thanks for the suggestions guys, firstly am not interested in building this bike using a 350x frame and running gear, it's definitely going to be the 250r the R looks better and handles better than the X , IMHO.

Thanks, for pointing out the shock issue's Jason, i have done some measuring and yes i will have to lower the top shock mount about 1", but thats because i want to keep the ride height the same as standard 250r, as for the carb - the issue will not be the carb hitting the shock but the carb hitting the upper frame tube, i have two options -

Option 1 - cut out a piece of the upper frame tube so the carb fits.

Option 2 - Obtain a shorter carb (aftermarket).

I should have stated earlier, i am going to use the complete back end of the 450r on this project. So as the 450 rear shock is shorter i will have to lower the shock mount to keep the ride height the same as standard 250r.

250rfan
10-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Okay, here's some pics of the start of the frame alteration, as you can see i have cut the frame in 2 places, i have the rear end and axle on adjustable jacks, so i can keep the frame square and level while modification takes place.

You can't really see it in these pics but i have heated the 2 front lower frame tubes and used the leverage of the now cut and seperated lower sub frame to bend them causing a gap of 2.125" between the main frame tubes and the rear sub frame tubes. The bending of the front tubes aslo puts them in the correct angle for when i come to cut and splice that area.

250rfan
10-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Okay, here are some pics of the frame now lowered, i have inserted pipe inside the frame tubes to give the cut sections a stronger join. Then placed OEM pipe over the inserts, welded then ground to flush, this keeps the frame looking like it was never joined.

Tri-ZNate
10-21-2007, 01:37 PM
your biggest issue is like stated, carb routing.

When we did it to brapp's 250r it was misleading because everything lines up (swingarm and sprockets) but in order to fit it with some room we either were going to drop the cradle or give the top frame a trim job and make it like a tri-z. We went with a tri-z method, frame was destroyed beyond repair and now the 450r engine is in a 350x :lol:

250rfan
10-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Here's some more pics of the frame,

Pics 1,2,4 show the finished main frame tubes.

Pic 3 shows the rear sub frame re-strightened with inserts installed ready for the OEM pipe to be overlayed then ground to flush.

This is the part of the build i've been waiting for - to see how the 450 engine sits inside the 250r frame. I dont need to weld up the front down pipes to check if the engine fits, so i have put on the radiators and one of the radiator hoses in preperation for the engine installation. :naughty:

250rfan
10-21-2007, 01:48 PM
your biggest issue is like stated, carb routing.

When we did it to brapp's 250r it was misleading because everything lines up (swingarm and sprockets) but in order to fit it with some room we either were going to drop the cradle or give the top frame a trim job and make it like a tri-z. We went with a tri-z method, frame was destroyed beyond repair and now the 450r engine is in a 350x :lol:

Ye, i was wondering how you guys were getting on with your 250/450r project.

So you went down the 350x route, i guess you'll be watching how my project turns out now. :rolleyes: :D

jeffatc250r
10-21-2007, 07:22 PM
I hope it turns out good for you using the r frame. If it is possible to not destroy the frame in the process, i think you will end up with a much better machine handling and looks.

johnny's X
10-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Well I must say you are dong things the right way with making all your welds non visible.

250rfan
10-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Well, here's the engine in the frame, the TRX 450 rear swingarm and exhaust are also installed :w00t: .

The radiators are position'd at the Hrc short coarse kit position ie - 1" back from standard. I was planning on running the HRC short coarse kit on this bike, but after some advise from other board members, i have decided to use the short coarse kit as a second option, i will be running the standard OEM fuel tank.

So the radiators will sit 1" or so forward than in this picture, the 450 swinger is on with no altering to the frame needed for the main Swingarm/pivot bolt to be installed.

However, there is some alterations to be made before fitting the lower shock linkage to the frame, and also to fit the top of rear shock to the frame. :D :D

Jason Hall
10-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, looks like your makin It fit. Looks ((SWEET)), did you test fit the tank? Does It clear the engine? The only thing I personally would'nt want is the loss of ground clearance. Other than that It looks like It belong's their. It's pretty amazing what you can do when you are determined. You said you wanted It In the R frame & your doing It. You are obviously very handy and also determined, Nice Work. I wonder if you could use an older valve cover to gain some space on the top. The older engines did'nt have the big square breather on the top.

factoryX
10-24-2007, 01:19 AM
i want to see a raptor 700 in one....

250rfan
10-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Well, a raptor engine?, i dont know, possibly someone else may want to tackle that one,,,,,

Jason - all of your questions will be answered as this project progress's, i guess you'll just have to keep on viewing this thread. ;)

Okay, now the engine is in, i need to sort out a few issues, as you can see from the first pic the water spiggots from the engine and the radiator are quite close, but the radiators are still in the HRC position, so once i move them back to there original position the hoses will fit no problem.

The second pic shows the bottom of the engine and how close it sits to the frame, to address this i will bend the 2 lower frame tubes to a more straight/horizontal angle, this will let the engine sit level with the ground and will allow me to re mount the OEM lower engine mountings which i cut of earlier. i will also cut the forward facing frame tubes and lower them, so they join the lower frame tubes.

The other pics show the engine from the right hand side. :D :D

jeffatc250r
10-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Awesome! Cant wait to see it done, i think it will be the perfect combination.

250rfan
10-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Okay, the engines been taken out, and the original lower engine mounts re fitted, i have also straightened the lower frame tubes to a more horizontal angle, allowing the engine to sit horizontal with the ground and to give clear access for installing and removing the OEM lower engine mounting bolt + nut.

Right, next issue is the carb!,,,, :)

Nightbiker07
10-25-2007, 06:23 PM
i want to see a raptor 700 in one....

why? the 450's are a stronger motor tan the Craptor motor, and all that EFI garbage is EXPENSIVE when it takes a crap in 7 years or so.........you wont see no 07 craptors in 2030, guranteed.............but ill bet youll still see old 84 trikes!

Derrick Adams
10-26-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm curious what your going to do to get around the chain clearance issue. Seems as if tilting the motor that far up will cause the chain to run right into the swingarm along the bottom.

250rfan
10-27-2007, 05:00 AM
I'm curious what your going to do to get around the chain clearance issue. Seems as if tilting the motor that far up will cause the chain to run right into the swingarm along the bottom..

Derrick am not sure exactly what you mean when you say tilting the motor that far up, the engine is level to the ground as is the case in any atc / atv / m'c.

The swingarm is alined perfectly with the engine, because the swingarm pivot bolt aligns everything, sprockets, height in relation to the front sprocket and frame ect.

I have attached a picture which might answer your question better than i can explain - as you can see there are no issues with the chain and swinger.

Also for the record, i have and will take pictures all through this build and i'm amazed that after 22 years the geometry of the honda has'nt really changed that much, as this project advances you will see the the engine, swinger, suspension, brakes, exhaust, radiators, airbox ect all fit onto the 1985 250r frame with very little modification, basically showing that Honda had it right more than 20 years ago- or there now very lazy!!!!!,,,,,, i like to think they had it right 23 years ago!. :w00t:

Allready you can see that the rear swingarm fits into the frame with no modification needed, you dont have to widen the frame or open or narrow the swingarm bolt holes
at all, it simply fits straight into the frame, using the OEM TRX 450 swingarm bolt. Also if am correct the OEM TRX 450R swingarm length is the same as the 85/86 250R

Thanks for yourself and Jasons questions, these are the questions which have been running around my head well before i started this build, i think i have overcome everything, as the build continues you will see all Major issues will have been overcome.

Derrick Adams
10-27-2007, 08:10 AM
In the last picture it looked as if there was going to be an issue with it.

See how it appears as if the bottom of the sprocket is going to run the chain right against the bottom of the swinger? Just a camera trick I guess.

Derrick Adams
10-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Here's another suggestion for you. If you wanted to try to keep the frame looking close to stock in the front you could possibly lay back your cradle tubes.

The front motor mount would have to be reconstructed using possibly a thru bolt design (thru the frame). Or a flush bolt design at the engine and then bolted conventionally to the frame.

Your making some huge headway on this project. Can't wait to see it finished and hear how it runs.

P.S. seems like I remember the 450R swinger being shorter than the 250R one, so you should have a wheelie machine on your hands!

sandpuppi101
10-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Your build look's like it's coming along very nice,and it'll be nice too see it when it's done.I have a few question's on the suspension,I can see that the machine is laying Flat I guess you could say ,with the motor in,and you say you gave up ground clerance on dropping the cradle.Now Derrick bring's up a good point,if you are gonna run the stock 450 swinger ,your gonna have a wheelie machine on your hand's..Do you plan on stretching the swinger any?? If so your stock shock is gonna become mush,don't ya think.Food for thought is that you drop your top rear shock mount from the backbone and weld a gusseted crossmember about 2 inche's lower than the existing mount ,on the subframe ,and you will not only give yourself clerance for the carb /airbox tube's but you will also be changing the angle of the shock and gaining the clerance that you'd like to have on the lower cradle.I could see the headpipe as being an issue going that way,but I can't see a good angle of the right side upper cradle.I had to do someting quite similar to the 600 build..

Jason Hall
10-27-2007, 01:29 PM
The 06 & up 450r swingarm Is the same length as a stock 85-86 250r swingarm. The 04-05 450 swinger Is 1" shorter than a stock 85-86 R. The 04-05 swinger Is the same length as a 88-89 TRX250r & the same as a 400EX.

I know from experiance you will have a blast tucking that big huge TRX wire harness under the tank on the R. That was one of the things I remember most about the 05 TRX engine I origionally put In my bike. I stuffed alot of the wires up In the main tube under the gas tank.

Looks great so far. It also looks like you might be able to use a stock 250r air box & carb boot. Clearance Is close, but looks like It will work.

250rfan
10-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Here's another suggestion for you. If you wanted to try to keep the frame looking close to stock in the front you could possibly lay back your cradle tubes.
The front motor mount would have to be reconstructed using possibly a thru bolt design (thru the frame). Or a flush bolt design at the engine and then bolted conventionally to the frame.

Good point Derrick, but am trying to keep this build as simple a possible, am using as much of the OEM frame as possible (am also using a donor 85 frame), i could have made special tubes to cut the frame in closer to the engine but the way i have done it is the easiest, also - remember you need space around the engine for installing & removing the engine.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Sandpuppi101:- Good points on the rear swinger and shock issues -

YES - I will be be using an extended swinger. :naughty:
YES - The stock shock would possibly be mush, but stock OEM is very firm.
YES - I will not be using stock OEM shock. :naughty:
YES - I will be replacing the upper shock mount ( will be shown latter in thread)
There will be no issues with the carb, airbox, induction tube, headerpipe, will be shown latter in thread.

Jason - Yes i will be using the stock 85 airbox, induction tube.

Jason Hall
10-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Derrick & I know exactly how stiff the 450r rear shock's are when on a 3 wheeler, they are stupid stiff. The valving Is stiffer & so Is the spring by FAR. I think the reason Is the sub frame Is longer on the TRX frame. That gives you more leverage to push the suspension down. I bet you could put a +6 on there & It would still not be as soft as a stock R rear shock.

250rfan
10-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Derrick & I know exactly how stiff the 450r rear shock's are when on a 3 wheeler, they are stupid stiff. The valving Is stiffer & so Is the spring by FAR. I think the reason Is the sub frame Is longer on the TRX frame. That gives you more leverage to push the suspension down. I bet you could put a +6 on there & It would still not be as soft as a stock R rear shock.

Ye Jason, your right, the OEM rear shock is very very stiff.

Okay guys, back to the build, next issue is the carb -

Pic #1 shows the carb just placed against the engine the upper frame tube is stopping it from fitting correctly.

Pic #3 shows the carb at a different angle, you can see the piggy back remote for the shock aslo in the pic, this is one of the reasons am not using th OEM rear shock, i need a remote reservoir, to leave space for the air box induction tube.

Pic #1 shows the carb from the right hand side, you can see where the top of the carb is hitting the frame, i have 2 options at this point :-
option 1 = cut a notch out of the frame, box it in latter.
option 2 = find a shorter carb.
* I'm going for option 1 cut a piece out of the frame, plate it in to re-establish strength*.

Pic #4&5 = shows the carb in place. :w00t:

Mosh
10-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Ye Jason, your right, the OEM rear shock is very very stiff.

Okay guys, back to the build, next issue is the carb -

Pic #2 shows the carb just placed against the engine the upper frame tube is stopping it from fitting correctly.

Pic #3 shows the carb at a different angle, you can see the piggy back remote for the shock aslo in the pic, this is one of the reasons am not using th OEM rear shock, i need a remote reservoir, to leave space for the air bix induction tube.

Pic #1 shows the carb from the right hand side, you can see where the top of the carb is hitting the frame, i have 2 options at this point :-
option 1 = cut a notch out of the frame, box it in latter.
option 2 = find a shorter carb.
* I'm going for option 1 cut a piece out of the frame, plate it in to re-establish strength*.

Pic #4&5 = shows the carb in place. :w00t:Do you have to run that carb?I am wondering if a Edelbrock aftermarket carb would fit better.More performance too.I would think a aftermarket carb,wont have that extra box on it and may fit without cutting the frame.Just a thought.
I am getting ready to put the 07 450R swinger on my 250r build.Can I use the stock 250r shock?I searched the forums and saw another member had to file the 450r swinger to accept the stock R linkage.So my question is,Will the 250R shock and linkage fit without modding the shock mount?
I heard they sit a little high in the rear after the 450R swinger is on,but I have a durablue lowering link to use,so that is not an issue.Also does the 86 250R axle fit the 450R carrier?
Good build 250Rfan.Cant wait to see it done;)

250rfan
10-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Do you have to run that carb?I am wondering if a Edelbrock aftermarket carb would fit better.More performance too.I would think a aftermarket carb,wont have that extra box on it and may fit without cutting the frame.Just a thought.
I am getting ready to put the 07 450R swinger on my 250r build.Can I use the stock 250r shock?I searched the forums and saw another member had to file the 450r swinger to accept the stock R linkage.So my question is,Will the 250R shock and linkage fit without modding the shock mount?
I heard they sit a little high in the rear after the 450R swinger is on,but I have a durablue lowering link to use,so that is not an issue.Also does the 86 250R axle fit the 450R carrier?
Good build 250Rfan.Cant wait to see it done;)

Hey Mosher,

Jeez, a few questions there, okay - ye the Edelbrock was an option a looked at, but i was'nt keen on spending the money just to find out that i still needed to cut the frame, if i had acess to an Edelbrock to try i would have went down that road.
But cutting the frame is'nt as bad as it may look, there's not that much metal removed and i have plated it up inside using 6mm plate - it's probably stronger now than before. Also Rob there's electrical sensors or something on the carb which plug into the wiring harness, it's esier for me at this stage just to use the OEM carb, basically because it's allready set up for this engine.

As for the swinger, i just checked, the shock linkage should fit into the 450 swinger no problem, you may have to make up a couple of spacer to go either side of the lowering linkage, as the lowering link is 4mm less in width than the 450shock linkage mount on the swinger.

I also slid a new 85/86 bearing over my 450 axle - no problem.
The OD of the 450 axle is 39.91mm or 1.5715" at the bearing placements.
The space between the bearing placements on the axle is about 5.67"., so i guess an 86 axle may well fit into the 450 carrier.

Thanks for the complements Rob, i saw the one in DR. Deaths thread also, if you like my 86, your really gonna like this bad boy!!!,,,,, ;)

ChrisD
10-28-2007, 03:09 PM
All I can say is.....do you wan't to sell it?

That is awsome. Will the stock tank (or short track for that matter) still fit over the top of the motor. That motor is tall. I would love to turn my 85R into a 450, so this thread is a real help. I love it.

250rfan
10-28-2007, 04:01 PM
All I can say is.....do you wan't to sell it?

That is awsome. Will the stock tank (or short track for that matter) still fit over the top of the motor. That motor is tall. I would love to turn my 85R into a 450, so this thread is a real help. I love it.

Hey Chris,

Ye Chris, the stock tank will fit and HAS BEEN fitted, it needed some altering but as you will see in the upcoming posts it's not that hard to do. I have also started modifiying the short coarse tank, just as an alternative.

I'm trying to take as much pictures as possible during this build so that hopefully after the build is complete anyone who's thinking about upgrading there 85/86 250r atc/parts to the newer OEM or Aftermarket 450r parts will be able to see exactly whats involved and how to do it.

Mmmmm, it won't be for sale when completed, but i will have a template as far as the frame is concerned , :naughty: :D

Thanks for the complements,

G.

350xBomb
10-30-2007, 05:56 AM
What's the weight difference between the 250 and 450 engines?

3Razors
10-30-2007, 10:36 AM
The Keihin FCR carbs are a much superior carb over the Edelbrock. Lots of riders have tried those E-carbs and haven't found any performance increase over the Keihins.

250rfan
10-30-2007, 01:36 PM
What's the weight difference between the 250 and 450 engines? - the 450 engine weighs 78.3lbs

The Keihin FCR carbs are a much superior carb over the Edelbrock. Lots of riders have tried those E-carbs and haven't found any performance increase over the Keihins. - looks like i made the right decission not to buy one!

Okay, here's an update

Now that the engine is in, and the swinger and the carb fitted, i have went back to the frame and finished the front of the frame as far as tying it in is concerned.

I will have pipe machined the correct OD & ID then wrap it over the inserted pipe shown, weld and flush, as done previously with the main frame tubes. Once finished you will never know its been cut and welded.

I have also made the front engine mounting brackets, using the original OEM ones.

In the last picture you can see i have used the OEM upper rear suspension mounts from the donor frame, to make the new upper rear shock mounts.

Louis Mielke
10-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm assuming that the upper shock mount is only temporary untill a better one is welded into place?

250rfan
10-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm assuming that the upper shock mount is only temporary untill a better one is welded into place?

What exactly would a BETTER one be? :wondering

Louis Mielke
10-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Hey now, didn't mean to offend, let me rephrase. I'm mearly saying that so far all of your other welds are almost invisible, the shock mount welding, eh...not so invisible. What are the plans for the mount if any...

That better? lol. :-) Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, you seem very good at your modifications, I figured there was more work to be done there. Sorry if I was wrong.

250rfan
10-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Louis, no feathers ruffled ;) , as it happens there was more work done, after the frame/mounts for suspension/rear brake master cylinder mount ect were tacked /welded together, i took it to a friends workshop where all showable welds were ground and replaced by TIG welding prior to the frame going for Powder coating. A lot of the welds you have seen so far and will see latter were only for assembly purposes, just to make sure it did'nt fall apart while test riding. :naughty:

250rfan
11-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Well, now that the engine is in the frame, the rear swingarm/suspension & carb are installed, it's time for the next issue - THE FUEL TANK.

The first pictures show the HRC short coarse tank mounted on the bike, you can see where i have had to cut the tank to get it to clear the left hand side of the engine.

This is not the tank you see in the other pictures, i have modified a standard tank instead, i just put these pics up to let you see the tank and how much had to be cut out to make it fit over the 450 engine. There is no alteration needed on the right hand side of the tank.

Mosh
11-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions.This is a great build and post follow up by you.Keep up the good work.

250rfan
11-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Okay, these pics show the standard tank and the process of cutting, fitting, and plastic welding.

I cut out the required amount to clear the 450 engine.
Then i made a template using card to get the rough shape needed.
Then, i cut a piece of plastic from a donor 250r tank using the template.
The cut piece of plastic was then folded in 2 places and grinded/filed to suit the cut out on the tank.
Then the formed piece of plastic was welded in place using a 5600HT Mini-Weld Model 6 Airless Plastic Welder.
The fuel cock had to be removed when the tank was cut to allow the tank to clear the engine, so i had to shift it along 2" or so to the end of the tank, as you can see.

250rfan
11-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Here's the last of the tank modification pics,,,,, ANOTHER ISSUE SOLVED.

250rfan
11-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions.This is a great build and post follow up by you.Keep up the good work.

No problem Moshman, glad i could help, let me know if the 86 axle fits into your 450 swinger/bearing carrier. :beer

Louis Mielke
11-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Did you by chance think of using a heat gun to just heat the plastic up and let it droop inward some? Think this would work or not a good idea?

250rfan
11-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Did you by chance think of using a heat gun to just heat the plastic up and let it droop inward some? Think this would work or not a good idea?

This possibly could work Louis, but i had to cut out the fuel cock to give me room round about the top of the engine. If you heat up the area then push it in as you suggest some areas of the tank will end up getting very stretched it may well work, but for me i think this is the way forward - the tank has been full of fuel for 4 weeks or more and NO LEAKS. :D

SYKO
11-02-2007, 08:15 PM
this is a really enjoyable thread!! keep it up its awesome!

tecat-z
11-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, this is a very enjoyable read. This project seems to be very much under control and well thought out. I love this kind of stuff, and can't wait to see completed pics and, the ride report!!!

Billy Golightly
11-02-2007, 10:23 PM
I' m very impressed with the level of fab work your doing man. Not to mention the ingenuity with things like how you decided to make the tank work. Thats the kind of stuff I dig. Awesome job, keep it up.

Jason Hall
11-03-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm Interested In that plastic welder. I modified a tecate4 tank a few years ago & nothing would work to seal It. The way plastic expands & contracts also the viberation from the engine. On a 3 wheeler If you ride It hard, you lean against the tank making It twist & bend. Please let us know how the tank holds up. I would be Interested In buying a different plastic welder. I bought mine from Snap-On & It would not hold.

250rfan
11-03-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm Interested In that plastic welder. I modified a tecate4 tank a few years ago & nothing would work to seal It. The way plastic expands & contracts also the viberation from the engine. On a 3 wheeler If you ride It hard, you lean against the tank making It twist & bend. Please let us know how the tank holds up. I would be Interested In buying a different plastic welder. I bought mine from Snap-On & It would not hold.

No worries Jason - will do.

At the moment all i can tell you is that the tank does not leak, i preped the plastic as if it were metal ie - 60deg prep on the edge and left a 2-3mm gap all the way round so the plastic could penatrate. i will keep you updated when i have completed the final build and had some decent hrs on the bike. Here is the supply company - www.urethanesupply.com, and this is the welder i bought 5600HT Mini-Weld Model 6 Airless Plastic Welder.

Jason Hall
11-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Thats the same welder I bought. It has one adaptor end that allows you to push the plastic rod straight through It. I could never keep the supplied plastic rod from breaking away from the origional tank plastic. It would hold for a couple weeks sometimes, but then other times It would leak after a long bumpy ride. After giving up on the plastic welder I tried fiberglass. That also broke loose. I did save a link that I think Sykolincoln posted up about a plastic tank repair kit. I think I will try that on the t4, or I will build a steel tank.

250rfan
11-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Thats the same welder I bought. It has one adaptor end that allows you to push the plastic rod straight through It. I could never keep the supplied plastic rod from breaking away from the origional tank plastic. It would hold for a couple weeks sometimes, but then other times It would leak after a long bumpy ride. After giving up on the plastic welder I tried fiberglass. That also broke loose. I did save a link that I think Sykolincoln posted up about a plastic tank repair kit. I think I will try that on the t4, or I will build a steel tank.

Okay Jason, only time will tell i guess, i'll keep you posted.

As this is the first time i have done this or seen it done am quite interested to see how it stands up myself, as you have suggested my 2nd option if i could not weld the plastic tank was to get an aluminuim or steel tank made, but as this welding went okay, i've just put the aluminuim/steel tank on hold. At least i have a proper template for a steel or aluminium tank should i need it. :)

Like alot of this build and others like it, it's really "Trial & Error", i have'nt seen anyone else putting a 450eR engine, rear end onto a 85/86 250r frame, so am trying to use as much of the OEM parts as possible, that way it makes it easier for the people who want to modify there 85/86 250r with easily accessable parts.

There is some machining required on this build, but am trying to keep that to a minimum, really just a few spacers and the triples :naughty: .

250rfan
11-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Next issue was the exhaust, these pictures show the exhaust fitted without
any modification, it just shows how little the geometry has changed over 22 years

I could have left it as is, but i decided to pull the silencer forward slightly and at the same time, that pulled it in towards the frame, i simply cut a small piece out of the header pipe just at the end where the silencer slides over then re - welded it.

You will see the finished position on latter pics, when i post the upgrade of the rear brake system from 250r to 450r. :D

Derrick Adams
11-07-2007, 07:46 PM
You will see the finished position on latter pics, when i post the upgrade of the rear brake system from 250r to 450r. :D

Sorry, but I have to say that I don't agree with this. I think the 250R rear brake caliper is far better than the 450R. Any time you can run a twin piston caliper over a single piston, why wouldn't you want too?

Other than that, this project is turning out sweet! I love the look of it already. I hope that your tank works out. Should be a hoot to ride!:TrikesOwn

The Goat
11-08-2007, 12:55 AM
there are now two bikes on here that i would slay an infant for...derrick's yamaha...and your R...keep up the good work man. it's way beyond me, but i still appreciate how bad ass it is. lol.

The Goat
11-08-2007, 01:04 AM
ps...i wouldn't really slay an infant...it's a phrase from eddie izzard and dane cook.

250rfan
11-08-2007, 04:25 AM
Sorry, but I have to say that I don't agree with this. I think the 250R rear brake caliper is far better than the 450R. Any time you can run a twin piston caliper over a single piston, why wouldn't you want too?

Other than that, this project is turning out sweet! I love the look of it already. I hope that your tank works out. Should be a hoot to ride!:TrikesOwn

Derrick, thats a very good point, your totally correct, i never noticed the 450 rear caliper was only single piston, i'll give it a try and see how it goes.

However, i'm trying to use as much 2006/2007 450R OEM/AFTERMARKET parts as possible, Firstly because am trying to build a bike which i think would be todays equivalent of the 86 HRC bike which Honda raced back in the 80's. Secondly - the 450r parts are more accessable than some of the 250r parts, and as you are aware newer technology is USUALLY superior to old, however, this may not be the case as far as the rear brake caliper is concerned.

This bike will be IMHO, what i've allways wanted in a trike, and what I believe would be Honda's take on the trike if they still raced them.

Thanks for pointing out caliper issue,

G.

250rfan
11-08-2007, 04:30 AM
there are now two bikes on here that i would slay an infant for...derrick's yamaha...and your R...keep up the good work man. it's way beyond me, but i still appreciate how bad ass it is. lol.

Thanks for the compliments,,,Eddie izzard?, is'nt he an ENGLISH CROSS DRESSER!!!!!!, :lol: :rolleyes:

The Goat
11-08-2007, 04:56 AM
yep, and one of the funniest and most intelligent comics you can ever hope to find.

250rfan
11-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Right, getting near the end of the frame modification now, the next step is the change from 85 250r rear brake system to the 2006/7 trx 450r brake system.

The first pic shows the TRX 450r mounting bracket for the rear brake master cylinder, the bracket also incorporates the exhaust mounting hanger, i made a copy of the mounting plate/bracket using card, then transfered it onto 6mm steel plate.

As you can see in the following pics, the new mounting plate was tacked into position, i had to make a small tee shaped bush to insert inside the OEM brake peddle mount, this was drilled and tapped this allowed me to use the OEM 450 rear brake peddle.

Then i made a small bracket just above the peddle to fasten the return spring.

You can also see in the pics, the coolant reservior bottle has been mounted, and also the rear brake reservoir, i have removed the original master cylinder mount from the frame, as it is no longer required, i will extend the plate which is left to give strength to the rear subframe, and basicaly make it look right.

If you're wondering what the black plastic piece connected to the peddle is, it's a micro switch for operating the rear brake light.

NEXT STEP - THE BATTERY! :D

250rfan
11-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Well here's the progress on the battery, i could have bolted it onto the side where the tool box would normally be, but i want to use the 86 OEM toolbox, so i have mounted the battery inside the air box.

This keeps it more or less hidden, it sits inside perfectly, the solinoid is also mounted inside along with some of the wiring harness, this keeps everything nice and neat.

So that's basically the the bike finished as far as mock up is concerned, next step is to dis-assemble, finish final welding of the frame, Powder coating, and then the BEST part - FINAL BUILD,,,,, :w00t: :w00t: :D

Yamada
11-18-2007, 08:15 PM
How many time do you invest in this project????

:drool: :beer :w00t: :Bounce
This bike should look awesome when done.

250rfan
11-18-2007, 08:30 PM
How many time do you invest in this project????

:drool: :beer :w00t: :Bounce
This bike should look awesome when done.

Not sure really - a few months or so, the plan has been in my head for some time, but i had to wait until i finished my first 2 projects, which you can see pics of on this thread by edog - post pics of your 85,86 Hondaline optional extras in trikesalvania.

I've allways wanted a 4 stroke trike, the 350x really, but i decided to take it a step further and build a bike with everything i want on a trike,,,, your right the bike will look awesome when done - its nearly finished. im going to start posting the final build pics soon.

RedRider_AK
11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
I would slay an infant for derrick's yamaha

Oh yeah, you're not the first or the last one to say that .... :drool: :drool: :beer

edog
11-18-2007, 08:48 PM
!!!!!!!!!!Great thread!!!!!!!!!!

250rfan
11-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Here's some pics of the frame after final TIG welding. :Bounce

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/IMG00094.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/IMG00095.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/IMG00096.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/IMG00097.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/IMG00098.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/IMG00099.jpg

250rfan
11-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Here's the last of them -

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/IMG00100.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/IMG00101.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/IMG00102.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/IMG00103.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/IMG00104.jpg

Now to the powder coaters! :w00t:

Black86tri-z
11-19-2007, 07:03 PM
awsome weld's can't wait to see the end product

vegas250rr
11-19-2007, 08:05 PM
wow! what a great thread! .... but I have to say.... that if this beast doesnt get inverted forks .... I AM GONNA BE PISSED!:Bounce

250rfan
11-19-2007, 08:18 PM
wow! what a great thread! .... but I have to say.... that if this beast doesnt get inverted forks .... I AM GONNA BE PISSED!:Bounce

Dont worry man, your not going to be pissed! :naughty: , Here's the USD forks for the beast ( http://marzocchi.com/template/listSPAForksMoto.asp?IDFolder=128&LN=UK&Sito=moto), check out the SHIVER USD 045 FACTORY WORKS, they're bought and altered,,,,, just waiting on the Billet triples to get made,,,,,,,thats the only thing holding the build from finish :(

Yamada
11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Do you take it for a ride??? By the pics it seems complete before you dismanteled it.

250rfan
11-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Do you take it for a ride??? By the pics it seems complete before you dismanteled it.

Ye, i have taken it for a ride, unfortunately not as fast as i would have liked,,,, due to the fitting of the stock 450r rear shock , i was unable to connect the air box to the carb ( the shock reservoir was in the way), so the engine was running real lean, and basically would'nt run right, i tried restricting the air intake with a rag but the carb just sucked a hole in it.

The main point for test riding was to make sure everything fitted and worked together, which it did, the New rear shock has a remote reservoir attached to it so this leaves clear passage to hook up the air box to the carb,:)

250rfan
11-22-2007, 03:54 AM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Okay guys here goes the final build pics.

These pictures show the frame after Powder coating

Powder coating was silver with clear gloss, :) , what do you think so far?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR001.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR002.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR003.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR004.jpg

:D :D :w00t:

Louis Mielke
11-22-2007, 08:11 AM
I think you should stop teaseing everyone and just finish the thread! lol

Youngrasher
11-22-2007, 08:31 AM
I dont want to cause trouble here but I had them forks that your talking about on my xr50 (110 upgrade) pitbike They were fitted by the previous owner so I dont know how much abuse they had before I got it, they were nothing special on that and I dont think they'll be up to the job of a trike. I ended up going back to the traditional style forks in the end due to those one's bottoming out.

250rfan
11-22-2007, 08:59 AM

I'd like to, but am killing time until the triples are made,:D , (actually Louis you only have yourself to blame for not seeing the end result right now - you should have made me those triples i asked you for months ago:lol: , plus you know how everybody loves pics and step by step rebuilds, :D

quote:-
I dont want to cause trouble here but I had them forks that your talking about on my xr50 (110 upgrade) pitbike, they were nothing special on that and I dont think they'll be up to the job of a trike. I ended up going back to the traditional style forks in the end due to those one's bottoming out.

Thanks for the heads up, however, if these forks which are made for a crf 450 are to soft i will simply instal a stiffer spring, am very fortunate to have a suspension guy who lives locally, who is VERY knowledgeable when it comes to MX suspension, i have allready discussed with him the issue you have stated, but until i get the triples made and the forks installed and test ridden, i have to make an estimated guess on the stiffness at present - coincidently the springs have allready been changed from OEM.

But thanks again, anyway.

tecat-z
11-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Lovin' it! Can't wait to see the final pics. I was under the impression you were going to have the frame finished in oem 85-86 red. But since new 450R's use silver frames i guess it's correct for a 2007-08 atc450r. Either way it looks outstanding, and am thrilled to see all the detailed pics, and can only imagine all of the time and money you have invested. Not to mention all the skill necessary to overcome all of the obstacles that present themselves in a one-off build like this.

250rfan
11-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Lovin' it! Can't wait to see the final pics. I was under the impression you were going to have the frame finished in oem 85-86 red. But since new 450R's use silver frames i guess it's correct for a 2007-08 atc450r. Either way it looks outstanding, and am thrilled to see all the detailed pics, and can only imagine all of the time and money you have invested. Not to mention all the skill necessary to overcome all of the obstacles that present themselves in a one-off build like this.

Hi tecate-z,

Man, you are 100% correct, i could have gone down the 85/86 Honda red road, but as your aware Honda now make the TRX with Black on silver,,,,,,,Have i let to much away here? :naughty:, if you like the way things are shaping up so far, please keep veiwing, it's only going to get better.

Your going to see plenty of detailed pics - with plenty on DETAIL in them :naughty:

There's some really trick parts going on this build which i've never seen on a trike before, so am real excited to see, and ride the finished project myself :Bounce

Just waiting on the new Billet triples to get made, then i can mount the front end, but there's lots of final build pics to keep the HARDCORE enthusiasts like yourself happy. :w00t:

Cheers,

Gordon.

tecat-z
11-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Sweet, there are many of us hard core trikers that love stuff like this. I personally know a few of them. They may not post much, but you can be assured, they still 'lurk around' and have much respect for a builder like yourself.:naughty: It gives true meaning to the phrase "built not bought":w00t:

Bryan Raffa
11-23-2007, 09:40 PM

Photoshop a front end on it.....:D

250rfan
11-23-2007, 10:00 PM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Mielke

Photoshop a front end on it.....:D

LOL,,,, i could throw on the OEM front end for all the minute it would take , :Bounce , but I HAVE PATIENCE,,,:D ,

Here's a few shots of the modified frame next to a standard frame, as you can see there's not that much difference, :D

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR011.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR010.jpg

Black86tri-z
11-23-2007, 11:09 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh snap! i can only picture what it's goin to end up looking like!!! this is gunna b 1 sweet ride!!! can't wait to see finished project !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Derrick Adams
11-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Are you planning to run the forks a little longer to compensate for the engine cradle being a little lower in the front?

Also, I wanted to point out that you can keep a little more travel in your front suspension by switching to a shorter front tire (without changing ride height). I'm running the Dunlop 151 series in 22x7x11 with a Honda rim, to keep the big dirtbike brake rotor. You can also have Douglas make you a custom 10" front rim to run any quad front tire, if you use the stock 250R brakes. I ran a 21" Holeshot on Casper.

250rfan
11-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Derrick,

As far as the length of the forks goes, as you can see from the pic the forks at the moment are the same length as the standard OEM forks, so when the forks are fitted to the bike there will be 1-2" of fork above the upper triple just as you would see on a standard 250r set up (GEOMETRY).

As the TOP of these new USD forks are primarily designed to sit flush with the upper triple, i will be able to gain extra height at the front of the bike buy simply lowering the fork in the triple. Or i could just lengthen the spring internaly to give me extra travel.

The new USD shocks will be ran trailing axel, the brake mount will be swithed from the front to the back of the shock, to keep it the same as OEM set up.

As for the front wheels/tyres, i have decided to run a 10" douglas front rim with a Maxxis iRazR front tyre - 22 x 7 x 10, as you can see in the picture

I also have a second option of a 350x billet rim, with a Carlisle Trail Wolf front tyre
23 x 8 x 11, also shown in the picture, there's also the OEM 250R set up.

I have chosen the Douglas 10" front rim, mainly to give me a larger selection of newer technology front tyres, the maxxis iRAZR is a smaller thinner tyre than standard, this should give me better feedback from the front suspension, and should allow me to dial in the suspension more precisely, allowing the shocks to be set up to work more efficiantly.

Im not going to be jumping this trike, the same as i would my Honda Laegers trx for example, the frame on this machine is 22 years old,,,,,,this bike will be used for wood and field use with light track use, basically what they now class as XC.

I have measured the ground clearance on my LAEGERS and the 450 even without adjusting the ride height from standard, is still more than the trx.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR100007.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR100006.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR100009.jpg

Bryan Raffa
11-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Nice job Derrick! Pretty strategic on getting pic's of the front end!!:lol: :lol:

black tubes and rims:drool:

Mrs.Mosh
11-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Wait til you see the rest of the theme.:naughty: ;)

Bryan Raffa
11-24-2007, 01:14 PM
hey Tammy you got your hands into this one too?:naughty: :drool:

250rfan
11-24-2007, 01:17 PM
HONDA ATC 450RR

Okay,

Here's a few pics showing the new frame decals, i somehow miss calculated on my stock of rear coolant reservoir decals, so i've ordered some more and will apply them latter on in the build.:crazy: , the sharp eye'd Honda fans will notice that these are the decals for the 86 250r, i chose these specifically because there's more of them than the 85 decal set, as far as am concerned you can't have enough WARNING stickers!!,,,,, i love it when people point out how Dangerous trikes apparently are:lol: :Bounce .

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR014.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR013.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR012.jpg

250rfan
11-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Nice job Derrick! Pretty strategic on getting pic's of the front end!!:lol: :lol:

black tubes and rims:drool:

LOL,,,,:lol: , nobody's tricking anyone:naughty: ,,,,i know exactly what am doing, eh i think:wondering , and before you ask BRYAN- NO am not looking for suggestions on the rear suspension - which is KILLER! IMHO....., as is the seat ;)

Bryan Raffa
11-24-2007, 10:49 PM
LOL,,,,:lol: , nobody's tricking anyone:naughty: ,,,,i know exactly what am doing, eh i think:wondering , and before you ask BRYAN- NO am not looking for suggestions on the rear suspension - which is KILLER! IMHO....., as is the seat ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the motovation!!:) looking Killer!!

you guys are gonna fill the Monster Mx class Quick!:naughty:

250rfan
11-24-2007, 10:59 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the motovation!!:) looking Killer!!

you guys are gonna fill the Monster Mx class Quick!:naughty:

Only if you pay for myself and the bike to fly over to the states,:wondering, :naughty:, i'd be more than happy to visit Trikfest 08, :w00t:

Chevy200s
11-25-2007, 05:16 PM
awesome job man, this has been my number one thread to check everytime I log in lately. I think we should start a "send the 07 ATC 450R and builder to trikefest" fund, haha. seriously though looking great, cant wait to see the newest pics

250rfan
11-25-2007, 05:44 PM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Right, time to throw in the power plant - 2006 Honda trx 450eR, fitted with HRC power up kit = 48-50 bhp :D

The first picture shows the Mounting brackets & Bolts, the reason i have shown the bolts is to show that all bolts, nuts, washers ect on this build are Honda OEM, most of the fastners like the ones shown have been restored, i polish them first using a rotary wire brush then i send them to a local company to get acid dipped and re zinc plated, any new OEM bolts for the build were kindly supplied by dgould here on the boards.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR015.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR018.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR017.jpg

So thats the engine in, next step is the SWINGER, :naughty: :D :Bounce

250rfan
11-25-2007, 05:47 PM
awesome job man, this has been my number one thread to check everytime I log in lately. I think we should start a "send the 07 ATC 450R and builder to trikefest" fund, haha. seriously though looking great, cant wait to see the newest pics

:Bounce :w00t: :lol: :lol:, COOL!!, i'm for that that,,,,,,,,,:D

Cheers, CHevy200s

Gordon.

250rfan
11-26-2007, 09:47 AM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Right here's the swinger :w00t: - WALSH RACE CRAFT 'SAVIOR' REAR SWINGARM, WITH 'SAVIOR' LINKAGE.

The swinger is + 2" over stock 85/86 atc 250r, this in my opinion, is one of the trickest rear swingarms on the market, the craftsmanship & engineering on this piece of kit is absolute QUALITY.

Many thanks to Mr Nate walsh at Walsh Race Craft - nate@walshrc.com, great communication, and very professional person to deal with.

I am very pleased with this aftermarket Race part, and i think looks perfectly at home on the ATC, but what do you guys think?:wondering

The first pic, shows the small alteration you would have to make when fitting a 450 swinger to your 250, you can see the 2 small aluminium spacers to take up the gap either side of the linkage, you can also see the 450 wear bushing in the middle, this bush had to be drilled out slightly in order to use the OEM 85 bolt.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR007.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR030.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR016.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR021.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR022.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR023.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR025.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR026.jpg

Also shown in the pictures are the Lonestar Bearing Carrier & Lonestar Billet Brake Mount. :w00t: :w00t:

Billy Golightly
11-26-2007, 10:07 AM
All the Walsh guys are awesome. Met them quite a few times (since their shop is in the same town I live in) They definitely make bad ass stuff, the highest quality that there is when it comes to chassis parts. You will definitely be happy with that setup!

250rfan
11-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks Billy,

I'm very happy with the swinger, i was wondering when you were going to make a comment on the build considering your a Honda dude,

Its surprising how many of the people who have commented on the build dont own a honda, well not on there signature anyway.

Cheers,

G.

Billy Golightly
11-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Oh definitely man, I love it. I was really worried about the additional frame height you added until the last few pictures which shows it didn't change very much at all. And I'd even guess if you wanted to get creative with the seat mounting arrangements you could actually make it sit the same height as it did stock. Very good work so far, looks like you should have it completely back together here in just a few days.

Bryan Raffa
11-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Sweet!!

I think this bike is gonna have "Dirt Wheels pull out poster" All over it!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

RoscoW
11-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Lets see a green machine in the works and we could have the" What if they kept building.... " big three shootout at trikefest :drool: :drool: , Could be made into a whole issue :eek:

oldsking86
11-27-2007, 12:00 AM
I sorry boys and girls.. This bike has taken the cake in my eyes as the wickedest trike on earth!!! Dude talk about a build that requires, time, planning, skill and a hell of a commitment. Cheers to you my friend! I am so waiting for a finished product.

I didn't know Walsh was out of Florida haha

250rfan
11-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Oh definitely man, I love it. I was really worried about the additional frame height you added until the last few pictures which shows it didn't change very much at all. And I'd even guess if you wanted to get creative with the seat mounting arrangements you could actually make it sit the same height as it did stock. Very good work so far, looks like you should have it completely back together here in just a few days.

Billy, no additional frame height added, i have only lowered the engine cradle , the seat, tank, rads , fender ect are all fitted as standard. :w00t:, the bike will sit at the same height as standard 85/86 250r, unless i lower it :naughty:

250rfan
11-27-2007, 12:39 AM
I sorry boys and girls.. This bike has taken the cake in my eyes as the wickedest trike on earth!!! Dude talk about a build that requires, time, planning, skill and a hell of a commitment. Cheers to you my friend! I am so waiting for a finished product.

I didn't know Walsh was out of Florida haha

WOW!, cheers dude,,,,, but the build is only started,,,,, lots more to see :naughty:

oldsking86
11-27-2007, 01:19 AM
You deserve it, the amount of work that was put into that frame to make it fit, good job! well it's the nicest.. next to mine of course LOL
I contemplated this idea with a 450 motor a while back, but as a college kid never made it to the drawing board (no funds) so far it's looking great, can't wait to see the rest, woot!

Kintore
11-27-2007, 01:32 AM
This is awesome, just plain awesome. Congrats dude lets see some pics!!!!

Black86tri-z
11-27-2007, 01:32 AM
i bet you this bike is already done he's just teasing us with a couple of pics a day,what color plastics will it have?black or red probely red because of the special tank,also will it have a headlight?

250rfan
11-27-2007, 01:46 AM
LOL, nice try guys, but firstly the bike is'nt finished ( but nearly ), i could show pics but as you guys know everybody likes lots of detailed pics, so if i show the end result, lots of the smaller stuff might be missed, if that makes sense.

I will try to post pics of each stage of the build, not to tease, but purely to show people what they need to do if they want to upgrade/change a part of there 250 to a 450 or aftermarket part.

As for the colour?, well i guess you'll just have to wait and see,:D :D , if you read through the thread i have sort of said.....:wondering ;)

HEADLIGHT??, - O yes, this bike will be road regestered, so i need a light, not that it will do much good when the front wheel is 4ft of the tarmac , :D

Cheers Guys,

G.

250rfan
11-27-2007, 02:48 PM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Right, mmmm, whats next?,,,ah yes, the rear Shock....:D

WALSH RACE CRAFT 'SAVIOR' SPECIFIC - FOX PODIUM X REAR SHOCK 17.875" Long.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR034.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR035.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR036.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR037.jpg

Also pictured are the IMS ROLL DESIGN Pro Series footpegs, these had to be modified slightly, the mounting brackets for the pegs and the OEM plates were removed and the pegs TIG welded onto the 85 OEM plates.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR3003.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR1001.jpg

Next - the CARB + RADIATORS!!!!

SYKO
11-27-2007, 04:03 PM
you know, this is honestly the only trike I would buy from another member complete, for whatever they would be asking for. No new machines appeal to me, I prefer the trikes, but I would go and buy this tomorow if it was at a dealer, Top notch work you sir raised the bar for all other builds!!!

RoscoW
11-27-2007, 06:59 PM
From the pictures "I've " seen I would have to sell all my toys, and re mortgage the house to build this weapon.
Hey G did you say that this we be road legal when done? I heard you can run quads on the road over there with the right mods but this would be outright sick:drool: :drool: :drool: . Supermoto on three wheels:eek: :eek:
Keep the pics coming;) :naughty:

Ross..

250rfan
11-28-2007, 10:10 AM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Okay here's some pics of the carb, coil, rectifier, & ECU, all mounted.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR039.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR038.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR040.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR041.jpg

now the radiators!:naughty:

cr480r
11-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Do you plan to use an upper engine mount? I don't see provisions for one...

250rfan
11-28-2007, 10:26 AM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Here we go - PWR large capacity Radiators, :D :D

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR047.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR048.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR1005.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR046.jpg

250rfan
11-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Do you plan to use an upper engine mount? I don't see provisions for one...

No, no upper engine mount,,,,if i think its detrimentle to the the bike, i'll add one latter. At the moment am happy to run without it.

Billy Golightly
11-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Wow.....:drool:

johnny's X
11-28-2007, 10:59 AM
This by far is the nicest R build I have ever seen on the boards. Your attention to detail is amazing. What kind of $$$$ do you think you will have into this build when done. (rough idea)

250rfan
11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
you know, this is honestly the only trike I would buy from another member complete, for whatever they would be asking for. No new machines appeal to me, I prefer the trikes, but I would go and buy this tomorow if it was at a dealer, Top notch work you sir raised the bar for all other builds!!!

Thanks Syko, if i decide to sell - i'll pm you, although i think ChrisD is keen to :rolleyes: , if i sell you it, promise you wont kick it "Chuck Norris style",:lol: :lol:

From the pictures "I've " seen I would have to sell all my toys, and re mortgage the house to build this weapon.
Hey G did you say that this we be road legal when done? I heard you can run quads on the road over there with the right mods but this would be outright sick:drool: :drool: :drool: . Supermoto on three wheels:eek: :eek:
Keep the pics coming;) :naughty:

Ross..

Ye the laws over here class an ATC as an AGRICULTURAL vehicle, so with front and rear lights your basically good to go!!:naughty: :naughty:

250rfan
11-28-2007, 11:19 AM
This by far is the nicest R build I have ever seen on the boards. Your attention to detail is amazing. What kind of $$$$ do you think you will have into this build when done. (rough idea)

Crikey,,,,good question,,,Mmmmmm,,,,let me check the wifes not looking at me typing,,,,,okay shes busy ironing!,, I'm really not sure, the TRX 450 cost me $8000.00, i could sell the rolling chassis if i wanted to recoup some money, then i guess

triples = $2200.00
front shocks = $1600.00
swinger/shock = $2195.00
axle/anti fade, = $1000.00
misc = $3000.00

So probably somewhere around $18000.00, and thats without putting a single $ on my time,

Thanks for the compliment, am glad you like the build so far.

* I COULD HAVE BUILT THIS BIKE USING AS MUCH OF THE OEM TRX 450 PARTS AS POSSIBLE - THAT WOULD HAVE REDUCED THE TOTAL BUILD COST CONSIDERABLY*
But at the end of the day i have tried to build a trike using the newest / state of the art parts as possible Unfortunately Technology costs money.

johnny's X
11-28-2007, 11:53 AM
WOW WTF I hope you are going to put that thing behind glass when you are finished. 18,000 G's. I need to have your job so I can blow money like that. Gotta love trike building its like a drug.

250rfan
11-28-2007, 12:10 PM
WOW WTF I hope you are going to put that thing behind glass when you are finished. 18,000 G's. I need to have your job so I can blow money like that. Gotta love trike building its like a drug.

Well, you have to blow it on something!, and at the moment for me its my Hondas.

cr480r
11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
WOW WTF I hope you are going to put that thing behind glass when you are finished. 18,000 G's.

WTF? Behind glass? With 10K in the suspension i hope he actually rides it... Would you buy a new pick-up and not drive it? Or build a new house and not live in it? Its just money, may as well enjoy it if you've got it...

250rfan
11-28-2007, 12:19 PM
WTF? Behind glass? With 10K in the suspension i hope he actually rides it... Would you buy a new pick-up and not drive it? Or build a new house and not live in it? Its just money, may as well enjoy it if you've got it...

This bikes a rider, $18000.00 = 9000 UK POUNDS = a Ducati, hayabusa, ect,ect,

Or to put it another way "How much would a Pro Series Quad cost you guys?", this bike is basically a race quad with one wheel.

cr480r
11-28-2007, 12:34 PM
This bikes a rider, $18000.00 = 9000 UK POUNDS = a Ducati, hayabusa, ect,ect

Just right... Its nice to see its gonna get some good use... It should be quite a fun ride... I love it

johnny's X
11-28-2007, 01:30 PM
This is true if you think of it this way. I will have to try this on my wife, she wants a new Rino and I want a build like this one. hhhmmm iam thinking my toy sounds alot better than a Rino. I will have to buy her a golf cart with a lift.

Yamada
11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Ye the laws over here class an ATC as an AGRICULTURAL vehicle, so with front and rear lights your basically good to go!!:naughty: :naughty:

I wish the law was the same in Canada. A 250R, agricultural vehicle!!!!! fastest tractor ever:eek: :Bounce

jeffatc250r
11-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Wow, i bow down to you! That is one kickass trike you got there. Bet you cant wait to get it dirty huh??

oldsking86
11-28-2007, 05:49 PM
This is true if you think of it this way. I will have to try this on my wife, she wants a new Rino and I want a build like this one. hhhmmm iam thinking my toy sounds alot better than a Rino. I will have to buy her a golf cart with a lift.

Dude, the rhino is where it's at.. throw some money into that and you won't go back!! haha nor will she

A rider for 18g's... mmmhmmmm oh Santa I sure as hell been good this year! :lol: :lol:

The Goat
11-28-2007, 06:46 PM
your build once again brings two words to mind....which will prolly just get edited away if i type them. lol. it's a thing of beauty man.

just wow....I WANT ONE!!!

250rfan
11-28-2007, 08:08 PM
WOW WTF, Gotta love trike building its like a drug.

I think you may be right there, i've allready started on my 4th project and the 450 still is'nt finished yet, am now wondering what am going to do after i've built the 4th one, i don't know if am addicted, but a do enjoy restoring/building Trikes - especially Liquid Cooled Honda's. :D :D

200x newby
11-28-2007, 08:23 PM
WOW!!! very very very mad props to you man but i do have 1 question the left radiator where it looks like the port from the head and the port from the radiator are almost touching is that going to be a problem when plumbing the cooling system?

250rfan
11-28-2007, 08:39 PM
WOW!!! very very very mad props to you man but i do have 1 question the left radiator where it looks like the port from the head and the port from the radiator are almost touching is that going to be a problem when plumbing the cooling system?

Well spotted young man!, when i post the next set of pics i will explain the problem you have pointed out, and how i got around it.

Like all custom builds, or as am sure your aware, even fitting an aftermarket part to your bike sometimes requires tweeking of some description.

This was one of the reasons for the mock up, to iron out these small alterations.

Sometimes it can be real frustrating doing this type of work because lots of things dont fit the way I WANT THEM TO, but i usually just walk away, have a cup of tea, think about it:wondering , and go back in an hour or so and engineer a solution. :D

Thank you for the compliment, your obviously paying special attention to this build:wondering , i think you'll like the final bike!

Cheers,

G.

cr480r
11-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Like all custom builds, or as am sure your aware, even fitting an aftermarket part to your bike sometimes requires tweeking of some description.

This was one of the reasons for the mock up, to iron out these small alterations.

Sometimes it can be real frustrating doing this type of work because lots of things dont fit the way I WANT THEM TO, but i usually just walk away, have a cup of tea, think about it:wondering , and go back in an hour or so and engineer a solution. :D .

This is my favorite part of a build-up... That is why custom builds IMO are so much more fun than restos... I love seeing creative solutions to problems... It really helps me with my own projects

wizzard
11-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Evidentally, 250R fan doesn't have that part of the brain that says "DUDE ! STOP!"
sweet trike man !

250rfan
11-29-2007, 10:05 AM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Okay, while installing the PWR radiators there was a small issue of the radiator/thermostat hose spiggots, being very close to each other as you can see in pic 1,

To over come this, i bought a new thermostat cover, cut off the spiggot, machined the area where the spiggot mounts to a different angle, machined a new spiggot, then pressed it into the thermostat cover, as you can see from the pics the spiggot is now at a new angle, allowing clearance for the OEM 85/86 water hose, to fit.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR047-1.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR0003.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR0001.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR0004.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR0005-1.jpg

Another issue overcome,:w00t: , now for the axel,rear brake ect :D :Bounce

johnny's X
11-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Ok I think I speak for everyone here FINISH IT we are all dying to see it finished.

Bryan Raffa
11-29-2007, 10:15 AM
that frame paint is amazeing..it's got that fresh media blast look with the sparkles:drool:

johnny's X
11-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Again your work is amazing. I cant wait to see that thing rolling. There is so much attention to detail. I do believe I see one thing missing on that trike. A 3ww sticker, with all the fans of this build it would be nice to see it on there somplace.

250rfan
11-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Ok I think I speak for everyone here FINISH IT we are all dying to see it finished.

LOL, :lol: :lol: , no,no,not yet!

SYKO
11-29-2007, 10:32 AM
LOL, :lol: :lol: , no,no,not yet!

you keep on like this......this is a recipe for disaster!......why????....cuz someone is going to fly over there and beat the SHYT out of you for making us wait like this!!!!! :crazy:

:TrikesOwn

250rfan
11-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Again your work is amazing. I cant wait to see that thing rolling. There is so much attention to detail. I do believe I see one thing missing on that trike. A 3ww sticker, with all the fans of this build it would be nice to see it on there somplace.

Mmmmmm, you guys, always jumping the gun,:rolleyes: , if i were to put on a 3WW sticker it would have to be where it would be seen, like eehhh the rear fender perhaps????:naughty: , right across from the ATC 250R decal :wondering , or if i were really on the ball, that decal could possibly read ATC 450R, thats if i were really into DETAIL!!!!!, but i allready have the cosmic quads (mr/mrs moshman) decal mounted.:D, i wonder how i got there sticker???

250rfan
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
you keep on like this......this is a recipe for disaster!......why????....cuz someone is going to fly over there and beat the SHYT out of you for making us wait like this!!!!! :crazy:

:TrikesOwn

All in good time big man, all in good time, anyway i can't show you the finished product because i'm waiting on the billet triples to be made.

But if you want i can stop posting until the bike is totally finished?, or i could fly over there, give you a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* slap and tell you to be patient, or just give you a kick in the nads 'Chuck Norris Style' :lol:

G.

SYKO
11-29-2007, 10:49 AM
All in good time big man, all in good time, anyway i can't show you the finished product because i'm waiting on the billet triples to be made.

But if you want i can stop posting until the bike is totally finished?, or i could fly over there, give you a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* slap and tell you to be patient, or just give you a kick in the nads 'Chuck Norris Style' :lol:

G.

ok sorry.....I'll be good:rolleyes:

SYKO patiently waits for new information......:drool:

:beer

bp739
11-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Just in this one case I'd have to say CHUCK NORRIS is no where near as cool or tough as that 450RR....:D OUTSTANDING work I'm just amazed.

250rfan
11-29-2007, 11:12 AM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Okay just for SYKO - pics of the RPM Dominator 2 Axel, LONESTAR Anti fade,LONESTAR caliper mount Talon Anodised Red Sprocket

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RRRearBrake004.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RRrearsprocket002-1.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RRrearsprocket003-1.jpg

This picture shows the AMP Research Adjustable billet Rear Break Peddle & Hinson Clutch Cover

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RRRearBrake003.jpg

There ye go Syko, just for you...:rolleyes:

johnny's X
11-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey what about me I wanna see some :lol: This is like for play for all of us on here. My wife is getting all bent outta shape bcs I wont come to bed bcs I want to see if you put new pics up. Iam going to make a magazine out of all these pics and keep it under my bed. haha. I think I might have to fly over just to touch it

250rfan
11-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey what about me I wanna see some :lol: This is like for play for all of us on here. My wife is getting all bent outta shape bcs I wont come to bed bcs I want to see if you put new pics up. Iam going to make a magazine out of all these pics and keep it under my bed. haha. I think I might have to fly over just to touch it

LOL,LOL:lol: :lol: , now thats funny,,,,,,,am about to catch a flight to go to Australia, and am here posting pics for you guys,,,,,:lol:

Thanks for the laugh

G.

Ps, i'll dedicate the next pics for you Jx . - Exhaust

Tri-ZNate
11-29-2007, 02:27 PM
:eek: So, Shiney... Must... Resist.... TOUCHING :naughty:

Dude that is awesome. You went all out to have the perfect R, something that wasnt cobbled together and will last forever, Awesome

staceyl200
11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Fair play G that is looking good!!!

Stacey

3Razors
11-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Excellent choice on the axle! They are best ones made out there.

super90
12-01-2007, 12:39 AM
I wish I never opened this thread! Im sooooo envious/confused now. I wouldnt even know where to begin in a million years :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Ill probably cry when I see the finished product knowing that ill never have a chance making something THAT NICE. Seriously mad props on making that thing. Cant wait to see what it will look like in the end:w00t:

250rfan
12-01-2007, 03:24 AM
I wish I never opened this thread! Im sooooo envious/confused now. I wouldnt even know where to begin in a million years :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Ill probably cry when I see the finished product knowing that ill never have a chance making something THAT NICE. Seriously mad props on making that thing. Cant wait to see what it will look like in the end:w00t:

Well - PHEW!!, not much i can say in reply to that, except thank You!!!

Also thanks to bp739,250sxwheeliepop,3Razors - i'm glad you like the build so far.

250rfan
12-01-2007, 03:59 AM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Okay guy's here's some more pics for ya, ROSSIER Engineering Exhaust

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR1003.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR045.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR051.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR1001-1.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR1002.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR1003.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR1004.jpg

250rfan
12-01-2007, 04:03 AM
Fair play G that is looking good!!!

Stacey

Hey, Stacey

Ye, it's coming along nicely, hopefully be finished in a week or 2

Just the front end to build, when the triples arrive.

Cheers,

G.

max
12-01-2007, 09:36 AM
I would cut that tab off the exhaust in front of the muffler if its not going to bolt up to anything.

Thanks for all the pics, I/we appreciate it.

ChrisD
12-01-2007, 09:39 AM
no,no,no,no,no....that just won't do....you should sell that one to me and start over.....sh#t man! That is amazing work you've done there. I envy your skill and workmanship. I can't wait for more updates.

250rfan
12-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I would cut that tab off the exhaust in front of the muffler if its not going to bolt up to anything.

Thanks for all the pics, I/we appreciate it.

Hi Max,

The pic shown is actually a few days old, the tab, as you suggested has been removed and replaced with another longer mounting tab, the reason the tab has'nt been modified before the pic was taken was the welding issue. I am very fortunate to have a complete steel/fabrication workshop at my disposal, unfortunately it's a 1 hr drive from my garage, so as the pipe is stainless steel and needs TIG welded i took the pic before i could get up there.

The Rossier exhaust is a 3 piece system, and the HRC is 2 piece, so as you'll appreciate, it's not quite as simple as plug 'n 'play, i have had to modify the middle section of the rossier exhaust, and the pic was taken before i modified the tab, as you will see in the final build pics the tab will be there as designed.

Glad you like the build,

G.

Bryan Raffa
12-01-2007, 09:57 AM
is there enough room to pull the valve cover to adjust the valves? or do you have to pull the motor?

250rfan
12-01-2007, 10:10 AM
is there enough room to pull the valve cover to adjust the valves? or do you have to pull the motor?

Bryan,

To answer your question truthfully i have no idea:wondering , the engine only has 20 hrs use on it and the valves have been checked prior to instal.

i honestly have'nt tried removing the cover while in the frame to check, i've been to excited building the thing!:)

But thats something to be checked further down the road,

I've got this far, setting up a few valves, further down the road, will be a walk in the park - i HOPE :rolleyes:

luke
12-01-2007, 10:16 AM
If Carlsberg made trike's ??

Bryan Raffa
12-01-2007, 10:31 AM
whats the other pipe sitting on the box?:) and your fishing poles are collecting dust:lol:

:shiftyeyes:

250rfan
12-01-2007, 10:41 AM
whats the other pipe sitting on the box?:) and your fishing poles are collecting dust:lol:

:shiftyeyes:

:lol: :lol: , the other pipes the 450 oem with modified HRC tip:naughty: , but i've decided to shelf that for the Rossie,,,,:lol: , ye the fly fishing has had to take a back seat until i finish my 4FIDDY,,,, plenty of time for a tight line latter Dude!!!:D

Funny how you look around peoples garages in the pics they send :naughty: , i do the same thing:D

Bryan Raffa
12-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Funny how you look around peoples garages in the pics they send :naughty: , i do the same thing:D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Its like were there..Hey whats that?:lol: :D

Can we get the color of choice in the plastic? So when I lay my head down at night..and start dreaming,,I'll know witch bike is mine!;)

250rfan
12-01-2007, 11:05 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Its like were there..Hey whats that?:lol: :D

Can we get the color of choice in the plastic? So when I lay my head down at night..and start dreaming,,I'll know witch bike is mine!;)

:lol: who's we?:wondering , and what colour would YOU like them to be ?

"Bryan - i think you may be a closet Honda fan"

Bryan Raffa
12-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Bad A@@ BLACK! ...Tank,shrouds,,everything!:naughty:

250rfan
12-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Bad A@@ BLACK! ...Tank,shrouds,,everything!:naughty:

:lol: :lol: Bryan are you my long lost twin brother??:lol: :lol:, seperated at birth and taken across the pond?, (but unfortunately went to the DARK side (TRI -Z ),)Xmas my just come early for yo bro!!!:naughty: :D

Now i know what colour you'd like the fenders ect to be, what do you think would be an appropriate rear wheel/ tire combo??

Bryan Raffa
12-01-2007, 11:31 AM
black bead locks with bright shiny bolts,.. a one off 10" front rim, with costom bead lock..black.. tires... front 20x6 razor,, rear oem yfz or stock NOS 250R:naughty:

Have you talked to Mom lately?:lol:

250rfan
12-01-2007, 11:44 AM
black bead locks with bright shiny bolts,.. a one off 10" front rim, with costom bead lock..black.. tires... front 20x6 razor,, rear oem yfz or stock NOS 250R:naughty:

Have you talked to Mom lately?:lol:

Well i dont think you'll be to dissapointed - front 10" douglas p/c gloss black c/w iRazR front tire - pics already posted.

Rear - ITP 10" BAJA'S c/w Deco Fast Trekker's:D :D

Erics350x
12-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Looks freaking great.

oldsking86
12-01-2007, 07:49 PM
I sooooo hate you!!!!! but love the bike lol 250rfan it's just getting sexier and sexier with every pic you post :)

250rfan
12-02-2007, 12:49 PM
HONDA HRC 450RR

I sooooo hate you!!!!! but love the bike lol 250rfan it's just getting sexier and sexier with every pic you post :)

Cheers, oldsking86

Here's a few of the last pics until i get the front end fitted,

Pro Armor Front Sprocket Guard & Gear shifter.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR0007.jpg

Just a pick showing the rear seat latch assembly after re platting.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR006-1.jpg

ChrisD
12-02-2007, 09:06 PM
What does it cost to get the bolts re-nickel plated. I just bought all new OEM bolts for my bike on the last rebuild. Just curious.

250rfan
12-02-2007, 10:53 PM
What does it cost to get the bolts re-nickel plated. I just bought all new OEM bolts for my bike on the last rebuild. Just curious.

Hi Chris,

Chris, it does'nt cost me anything, well i give the guy $10-$20.00 not that he wants it,(he normally tries to give me it back) but just as a good will kind of thing, that way i know i can go back again if i need more parts re platted,

He works for a large company that make bolts/studs mainly for the oil industry, he actualy works the platting bath/machine, i dont even have to go through the supervisor now, when i come in they know why am there, and i just ask him if he would be willing to do it, and he allway's says "ye - no problem". So i allways give him some beer money for his efforts.

He has done rear axle's, hubs, lock nuts basically any part of the 250's which have been platted siver or gold he has re done for me.

I still buy some New bolts for my build's mainly from dgould here on the board, but as you know, to buy a full set of OEM bolts, nuts,t-washers,ect,ect,costs a small fortune, and there's not much to show for it when it arrives.

On my 85 bike i bought alot of new bolts from cal atv, then as i started buying/shipping parts over from the states, i noticed the used bolts ect, were far better quality than what i had been using and getting platted before, mainly the parts from the states had not seen salt water/air (most atc were used on the beaches here in the North East of the UK, ie - salt water) and were'nt as rusty or corroded like the UK used parts, so after a clean up and replate the used US OEM bolts look as good as new.

So now every bolt on all my trikes are OEM.:D

Glad you like the build,

G.

johnny's X
12-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Well I asked my wife what she though of putting 18 G's into a wheeler and she said what do you think about a divorce... To be honest I told her to let me think about it over night and I would let her know in morning. I am not going to be excited to get on the boards when this build is done, that is unless someone can compete on the how high you raised the bar. When are the tripples going to be done so we can see this thing in roller form.

250rfan
12-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Well I asked my wife what she though of putting 18 G's into a wheeler and she said what do you think about a divorce... To be honest I told her to let me think about it over night and I would let her know in morning. I am not going to be excited to get on the boards when this build is done, that is unless someone can compete on the how high you raised the bar. When are the tripples going to be done so we can see this thing in roller form.

Hey Man,

Am glad you like the bike, am glad i posted so many pics or i would'nt get such a laugh,
You should have told here the same as me - there's only 2G's lying in it, think she tells you how much she spends on handbags & Shoes? :lol:

Anyway looks like you have thought about an alternative before,:lol: :lol:

If it comes down to that i guess a blow up doll will do for the night.

Dude, am overseas working at the moment, so hopefully when i get home in a week or so the triples will be ready, then i'll get the bike rolling, i do have some machining involving the front axle ect, but once the triples are on, i'll get the controls mounted :naughty: :naughty:

So, thats about all the pics for the moment. :beer

Billy Golightly
12-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Man everytime I look at this thread, and the pictures, I'm in awe. I've seen some pretty insane builds over the years on here but this one, this one sets the bar in a whole new galaxy.

250rfan
12-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Man everytime I look at this thread, and the pictures, I'm in awe. I've seen some pretty insane builds over the years on here but this one, this one sets the bar in a whole new galaxy.

Cheers Billy,

Wait till you see the triples and Handlebars/controls - Killer!!

Like i said before, am trying to build a trike that Honda may race, if they were still
into ATC's - 2007 450 HRC bike.

Also,
First and foremost the last two Honda's i've built have been restorations and i've had to follow the guidelines lets say, set by Honda/Factory Honda, ie my 85 which is an exact copy of there 250r pictured in the sales brochure showing all Optional extras.

Then my 86 HRC bike is basically a copy of the 85 HRC bike ridden by Marty Hart & the 86 HRC bike ridden by Brian Fuller.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/450R073.jpg

The 450 will be everything I WANT in a race trike. :D

Really glad you guys are enjoying the build.....will get more pics soon.

Thanks for the compliments!

Gordon.

BigGreenMachine
12-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Stunning, what an awsome build! Thanks for sharing this with us, just awsome!!

super90
12-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Wow, you make some some great bikes. Even thoes 250rs are really nice. If you ever want to sell that 450rr just let me know ill come up with the cash somehow:lol:

1985ATC250R#155
12-05-2007, 01:35 AM
Killer Trikes 250rfan!! You do amazing work:drool:

BigGreenMachine
12-05-2007, 10:50 AM
That sure is gonna be a nice group shot for dirtwheels.

Dirtcrasher
12-06-2007, 10:22 PM
OK, I haven't said chit until now...... And then you have the sack to post up 2 incredible replica 250R's that are just........ I am speechless. ATC's are what drive me, everything else is just "ok".

If I HAD any kind of money, I'd do my best to have a few superior trikes as you have. Instead, I just do the best I can and ride ALLOT!!

Your past builds are incredible and the latest build is just so nicely done that one single word cannot describe it.

Having friends that can plate parts or having access to a full machine and fabrication shop certainly make things a touch easier, but it's still the hands on fabrication and engineering that I appreciate the most.

Simply fantastic. It's great to see other people that share a love for these dangerous, banned and crazy threeewheelers. Only we can truly understand what it means to complete and ride something like this.

I'm sure the grand finale will include a video of this spectacular 250R uhmm 450R in action.

Excellent work my friend, you certainly have my respect.

johnny's X
12-10-2007, 01:14 PM
OK OK enough is enough we are in need of some new pics. When are the tripples going to be done so we can see this thing rolling?

Aka_am
12-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Man, the pics of the frame with the motor in and the swinger on..well I got a chubby lol

Now I have a question for you, you lower the engine cradle 2 inches correct? How is this going to affect riding height? you also lower the shock mount what will that do as in height and travel?

250rfan
12-11-2007, 12:26 PM
OK, I haven't said chit until now...... And then you have the sack to post up 2 incredible replica 250R's that are just........ I am speechless. ATC's are what drive me, everything else is just "ok".

If I HAD any kind of money, I'd do my best to have a few superior trikes as you have. Instead, I just do the best I can and ride ALLOT!!

Your past builds are incredible and the latest build is just so nicely done that one single word cannot describe it.

Having friends that can plate parts or having access to a full machine and fabrication shop certainly make things a touch easier, but it's still the hands on fabrication and engineering that I appreciate the most.

Simply fantastic. It's great to see other people that share a love for these dangerous, banned and crazy threeewheelers. Only we can truly understand what it means to complete and ride something like this.

I'm sure the grand finale will include a video of this spectacular 250R uhmm 450R in action.

Excellent work my friend, you certainly have my respect.

DC - thank you very much for your compliments,

The collection of bikes i have now is more quality than quantity, i could have had a lot more bikes but the collection i have now is what i really want, and appreciate. The 85 Hondaline special is still work in progress, i still have a new set of front forks i picked up recently to fit, and i would like to find a new or take of swinger for it, then i'll be happy with it.

As for the 450, although i have access to a fab shop a lot of the pre welding and all of the fab work/alterations were done in my garage at home. I would like to say someone helped me but i managed on my own, it was very frustrating at times, but i had i picture in my head of the end result and i'm committed to turning it into reality. The machining of bushes/spacers ect, is about the only thing i have'nt done myself, fortunately i have a neighbour who has a machine shop in his garden, he does'nt work, so i pay him cash for the machining i need, he gets some :beer , money and i get my machining done :) :) :)

Unlike many people, i dont have the opportunity to ride the bikes as much as i used to or want to, however i do enjoy BUILDING, LC Honda 250r's, and i try to build them to as high a standard as possible. Building these trikes is my hobby, i work away from home for 6-7 months of the year, so when am home i have all day and everyday to tinker in the garage.:D :D , i also like the satisfaction of taking an old used /corroded part and making it new again.:w00t:, and there's also the satisfaction of saving these "DEATH TRAPS" :lol: :lol: , it would probably be prudent at this point to say my engines are built buy a professional engine builder with many many years experience with the LC 250R motor, so i cannot take credit for his quality workmanship!( 86 engine).

As far as a video - we'll see :rolleyes:

Thanks again anyway, glad you like the bikes.

OK OK enough is enough we are in need of some new pics. When are the tripples going to be done so we can see this thing rolling?
:lol: :lol: , Just phoned the guy, they're just waiting on a slot then they'll get them started, i've to give him a phone end of next week :naughty: , sorry to keep you waiting :rolleyes: :D

Man, the pics of the frame with the motor in and the swinger on..well I got a chubby lol

Now I have a question for you, you lower the engine cradle 2 inches correct? How is this going to affect riding height? you also lower the shock mount what will that do as in height and travel?
Lowering the engine cradle does not affect ride height only ground clearance, lowering the shock mount has not affected travel as i have a Fox podium long travel shock installed.

Red Rider
12-11-2007, 02:02 PM
250Rfan, I as well have been religiously following this thread but have yet to post until now. I don't have much to say other than, the project is coming along fantastic, and you do beautiful work! I know exactly what you mean when you say you've got an image in your mind of the finished product, and then you work hard to make the actual piece match your mind's image. I'm the same way when I get one of those crazy fabrication ideas. Keep up the awesome work & carry on my wayward friend. We anxiously await those completed tripleclamps! :)

factoryX
12-14-2007, 03:31 PM
so how much did this cost you?

250rfan
12-14-2007, 03:44 PM
so how much did this cost you?

Check out page 8

super90
12-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Any progress?! im dying to see this thing finished!

scrawny
12-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Any progress?! im dying to see this thing finished!

ditto, i dont care if its the littlest thing..,.i wanna see more pix!!:Bounce

BigFrednR
12-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Ok this is my first post on this site and I have been here just reading posts and getting some info on things from other people. Once I saw the post of the 08 tri-z I was moved even being a die hard honda fan! Then I saw this guy building a ATC 450r. Some said it couldn't be done and he was just causing a headache for him self. I have read all 13 pages and I am very very impressed :beer This machine is unbelievable an would sell my RC51 to buy one of these machines if they were in production. My hat is off to you for a job well done! I hope dirt wheels finds this thing and has a center fold of it! Def looking forward to the final pics but the step by step process is just as amazing. Again wonderful job man:w00t:

johnny's X
12-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Ok do I need to get in a plain and kick this guy in his as* to get these tripples done

250rfan
12-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Ok do I need to get in a plain and kick this guy in his as* to get these tripples done

Hahahahaha,:lol: , ye am getting a bit impatient myself,,,,,,:Bounce , been doing a few bits 'n' pieces to the bike tho, spent most of today sanding down the plastics ready for base coat, all plastics have been sprayed - will be ready to collect tomorrow, :w00t:

Spent most of saturday morning with the decal guy - got those sorted out!,:)

Posting some more pics tomorrow of the battery/air box - got that sorted, :)

Phoning the guy tomorrow about the TRIPLES :naughty: ,, see if he's got them started, or hopefully finished,:wondering

It's - 2 degrees here in Scotland so dragging my ass out of bed and into the garage isn't very appealing at the moment.

I'll post some pics tomorrow tho Johnny,,,,,,:D

Cheers,

Gordon.

staceyl200
12-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Bloody hell fire G I should have done those triples when I had the chance ,,I could have made them twice over by now lol!!!

Stacey

250rfan
12-20-2007, 04:12 PM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Right here's a few more pics while were waiting on the triples to be made (going to be next year before they get made) - sorry Johnny's X,,:( :(

This is the battery and solinoid in the airbox, as you can see it sits in there perfectly, :w00t: , real impressed with the way it turned out, even if i say so myself :lol:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/assorted11002.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/assorted11009.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/assorted11011.jpg

Thats about it for the moment, guys

Cheers,

G.

staceyl200
12-20-2007, 04:21 PM
That is a neat job there G !!! Fair play to you !!

250rfan
12-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Bloody hell fire G I should have done those triples when I had the chance ,,I could have made them twice over by now lol!!!

Stacey

I wish you had man, i wish you had!,,:(

That is a neat job there G !!! Fair play to you !!

Thanks Stacey, pity you could'nt have done the triples,,,, but never mind.

Ye, the 450's coming along nicely but slowing up a bit now, starting to build my big bore 85 250r not sure wether to make it an 85 HRC REP or just a very nice MX 'er.

staceyl200
12-20-2007, 04:38 PM
How much longer will he take ? Is he going the same route as I was going to do ?

250rfan
12-20-2007, 04:49 PM
How much longer will he take ? Is he going the same route as I was going to do ?

Ye, he's going to make exact replicas of the originals, but with the larger diameter bore for the USD forks, due to the triples incorporating part of the rake, all the engineering shops i went to would'nt look at it. They apparently need a 3 or 4 axis CNC machine,,,,or some crap, :wondering ,,

So the only place that would do it seems to be very busy with oil related work and with the holidays and one thing or another, it seems to be taking ages, i called today and the guy told me he's going to draw up the plans for machining during the holidays, so he says i wont get them this year,,,:(

If you still think you can do it, nows the time to say so,,:naughty:

staceyl200
12-20-2007, 05:23 PM
They apparently need a 3 or 4 axis CNC machine,,,,or some crap, ,,

Thats not entirelly (sp)true I was going to part cnc them then finish off manually . I,m still going to say no on making them as I have a busy few months when I start back in January so it would be unfair on you and all these guys that are eagerly waiting :naughty:

Have a good christmas dude and keep a lookout for a job on the rigs for me !!!
Stacey:D

money89tractors
12-20-2007, 05:54 PM
After reading the entire progress on this trike, i would like to comment on the true craftsmanship you have put into it. Great work!!

I have a possible problem (that i see) may be a problem. You have don't a great job getting everything to fit on this bike. The only thing i might be worried about is the gas of that battery being sucked into the engine. I am unsure how it might effect the performance of it, if any.

Again, GREAT work!!

-Phil

250rfan
12-20-2007, 06:02 PM
After reading the entire progress on this trike, i would like to comment on the true craftsmanship you have put into it. Great work!!

I have a possible problem (that i see) may be a problem. You have don't a great job getting everything to fit on this bike. The only thing i might be worried about is the gas of that battery being sucked into the engine. I am unsure how it might effect the performance of it, if any.

Again, GREAT work!!

-Phil

Thanks for the compliment Phil, am real pleased with the way it's turned out myself, as for the Battery gas issue,,,,,,never thought about that,,, are'nt these batterys sealed?, i could run without the airbox lid, but i want to keep the airbox lid on if possible.

I'll check with Honda on the gas issue,, thanks for the heads up.

Glad you like the build,

G.

x.system
12-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the compliment Phil, am real pleased with the way it's turned out myself, as for the Battery gas issue,,,,,,never thought about that,,, are'nt these batterys sealed?, i could run without the airbox lid, but i want to keep the airbox lid on if possible.

I'll check with Honda on the gas issue,, thanks for the heads up.

Glad you like the build,

G.

Don't worry about that battery, its a sealed unit, no chance of gas or fumes leaking with that one unless it gets cracked.

Outstanding job on that bike Gordon but I figured it would be sweet considiering your others.

Jason Hall
12-20-2007, 08:09 PM
I think stacyl200 has a great Idea. You could cut everything In the cnc, then angle a mill head to the amount of rake needed then bore the fork tube holes. I'm pretty sure a 86r has 6 degree's of rake built Into them.

I know a guy that can make you some tripples with the rake built into them. If your Interestad In getting them done NOW, I will talk to him. His shop Is always slow this time of year, he has the cnc to do the job. He just does'nt work real cheap. He built cams for Toyota at one time & Is a VERY Talanted machinist. I'm sure he could build them as nice as anyone else. PM me If you want me to contact him, or I can PM you his number.

This bike looks like a brand new ride. It looks PERFECT. I can only wish I had the patience & money to build a bike that nice. You did'nt listen when other's said not to try building It, you then built a Wicked Badd Ass bike. Nice work!!!

SpeedBump
12-20-2007, 08:48 PM
I really must say...this is awesome. Lots of talent across the pond. The biggest disappointment....most of us here in the States will never lay eyes on that beauty in person. Pics NEVER do something as nice as this justice. Keep at and congrats on that sweet ride.

BTW....Anyone else recognize this front Wheel/Tire? I think I do. ;)

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR100009.jpg

johnny's X
12-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Looks like an 86 350x front wheel to me. Yeah skip they guy and go with Jason's machinest and lets see that thing roll

super90
01-03-2008, 06:47 PM
So what happened to this project?

Jason Hall
01-03-2008, 07:16 PM
My machinist's wife Is the ruler of the machine shop & She has made It kinda tuff for Gordon to do anything here. I feel horrable, because I know exactly what he wants and have talked to him lots on the phone. Gordon Is a very smart guy who knows exactly what he wants. I'm majorly bummed because I can't get them made for him. She wants full payment before the machinist will start making them. If I had enough money to flop on their counter, he would be rollin In no time. This Is one awesome machine that I would love to see sitting on all 3 wheels..

SpeedBump
01-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Looks like an 86 350x front wheel to me.

It is an 86 350X wheel. WHERE did it come from?

Look familiar? ;) http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=46119&page=7&highlight=conversion

Sold it on Ebay, and knew it was going overseas, but wasn't sure where it would end up. Guess I know now! Glad to see such a talented builder was interested in it. Too bad it isn't gonna make it to the final build, but maybe it will end up on another totally awesome machine. :w00t:

250rfan
01-04-2008, 06:04 AM
So what happened to this project?

Not much at the moment,,,,,,just waiting to make a decission on the triples, which
i wont be able to make until next week..

But there's still been some atctivity going on with the 450, just smaller stuff not worth posting at the moment,,:naughty: :naughty:

It is an 86 350X wheel. WHERE did it come from?

Look familiar? ;) http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=46119&page=7&highlight=conversion

Sold it on Ebay, and knew it was going overseas, but wasn't sure where it would end up. Guess I know now! Glad to see such a talented builder was interested in it. Too bad it isn't gonna make it to the final build, but maybe it will end up on another totally awesome machine. :w00t:

Ye Craig, your right, thats your old wheel, it's not going on this bike, but it is sitting between another set of forks at the moment,,:naughty:
Thanks for the compliments.

G.

johnny's X
01-04-2008, 11:30 AM
O iam sure its worth posting. There has got to be some different angles or somehting to keep us going.

250rfreak
01-05-2008, 12:02 AM
hows it coming?

super90
01-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Good to know its still going good. I seriously cant wait to see this things when its done! Are you going to make a video maybe? That would be awesome to see this beast run!!

SmurfanCoke
01-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Amazin' thread and trike. Can't wait to see it fininshed.

As a fellow UK'er, where the hell do you get 250r's from? I have scoured the countryside, autotrader, internet and just about anything else I can find lookin for trikes like that anywhere this side of the atlantic.

I was startin to believe that there was none over here until I read your thread and seen your last 2 projects, and I have to say they are absolutely stunning, if any of these machines are hitting the market, please let me know.
But again I would love to pick up one to mod myself, even just a roller, so if you can point me in any sort of direction, please do...

Lovin the 450r, it's gonna be special....

NOS_350X
01-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Looks good extremely good. I must say tho, on the new e start honda 450's get the kickstart gear out of one. Im on the 6th starter gear, we keep stripping them out. (most went out while the engine was stock) It sucks when your at a race (or riding for most) and your bike wont start because the starter wont engage.

hondaracer11
01-10-2008, 11:48 PM
man this thing is truely amazing once its done you should send a pic to dirtwheels and to honda for sure great job...

Paul C.
01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Dude, you are the man! This is the best conversion I have ever seen! If only we could buy these babies from Honda. Keep up the great work, cant wait to see the finished product.:beer

johnny's X
01-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Ok its time to grab your guy by the neck and tell him we are ready for the tripples. Iam I going to be done with my Z before you are haha. This thread is bad because I find myself putting unredone old on this trike, this is going to be a rider also.

250rfan
01-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Amazin' thread and trike. Can't wait to see it fininshed.

As a fellow UK'er, where the hell do you get 250r's from? I have scoured the countryside, autotrader, internet and just about anything else I can find lookin for trikes like that anywhere this side of the atlantic.

I was startin to believe that there was none over here until I read your thread and seen your last 2 projects, and I have to say they are absolutely stunning, if any of these machines are hitting the market, please let me know.
But again I would love to pick up one to mod myself, even just a roller, so if you can point me in any sort of direction, please do...

Lovin the 450r, it's gonna be special....

I may have an 85 250r roller for you, will dig it out and send pics and info.
Thanks for the compliment.

Looks good extremely good. I must say tho, on the new e start honda 450's get the kickstart gear out of one. Im on the 6th starter gear, we keep stripping them out. (most went out while the engine was stock) It sucks when your at a race (or riding for most) and your bike wont start because the starter wont engage.

Thanks for the heads up Dude.
man this thing is truely amazing once its done you should send a pic to dirtwheels and to honda for sure great job...

Dirtwheels would be cool,,,or any other atv/atc mag - time will tell i guess :naughty: :naughty:

Dude, you are the man! This is the best conversion I have ever seen! If only we could buy these babies from Honda. Keep up the great work, cant wait to see the finished product.:beer

Ok its time to grab your guy by the neck and tell him we are ready for the tripples. Iam I going to be done with my Z before you are haha. This thread is bad because I find myself putting unredone old on this trike, this is going to be a rider also.

Okay Guys,

The lattest on the 450 is this - i have been informed the machining of the triples is about to start,,, thats all i know,,,but it should'nt take to long to machine them, well am hoping anyway.

When they're shipped to the Uk, it wont take long to finish the bike.

hondaracer11, Paul C - thanks for the compliments guys.:beer

Johnny's X,
what does this mean ?
"This thread is bad because I find myself putting unredone old on this trike, this is going to be a rider also".

johnny's X
01-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah that didnt make sense. Dahm phone ringing off the hook and sexretary has thumb up her as*. Its not bad but I look at this thread and look at box of parts I was going to clean up and use and find myself just buying new parts. Hard to see nice work being done and not want the same. O well gives my wife something to complain about when the FedEx driver comes everyday, and she works for FedEx.

carmen cafro
02-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I can't take it any more. Please post some more pics of the 450!!!!!!!

BigFrednR
02-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Hows this build comin along? Everyone and there brother is reading this thread and wondering how everything is goin:Bounce

Dirtcrasher
02-10-2008, 06:08 PM
He's just waitin on his tripples guys....

PATIENCE!!

I can't wait either - AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnny's X
02-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Now dont let me get the z build done before you get the R done. I started mine a month ago. I know I know custom parts take time to build. haha Kick the guys as@ and lets get the tripples done

250rfan
02-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Now dont let me get the z build done before you get the R done. I started mine a month ago. I know I know custom parts take time to build. haha Kick the guys as@ and lets get the tripples done

Okay, i think a few of you are more eager to see the finished project than i am,,:rolleyes: ,

The latest on the triples is this - i talked to Jason Hall over the weekend, and he assures me the lower triples are finished and his friend (who is doing the machining), has almost completed the upper triple, so hopefully another week will see them heading over to sunny Scotland.

Then the build will begin again :naughty: :naughty:

Thanks all,

Cheers Jason..

SmurfanCoke
02-11-2008, 12:10 PM
I take it u are still in Africa, and have'nt had a weather report from back home...

The last time the sun shone in Scotland was August 25th....LOL

250rfan
02-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I take it u are still in Africa, and have'nt had a weather report from back home...

The last time the sun shone in Scotland was August 25th....LOL

Which year???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ohh,,,by the way am home......

sickR
02-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Nice build excellent job any other updates?

wad
02-22-2008, 08:18 PM
This is the first time ive seen this thread but by god its amazing.
You are a fabrication god!!!

TOP TOP work dude!!!
Cant wait to see the end result, Do you think you will be bringing it to trikefest??

And you gotta put this on the road dude!!!

trainingwheeler
03-11-2008, 08:44 PM
more ....MORE...MORE god damn it . I need more this is the sickest thread ever

johnny's X
03-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Whats the deal on the tripples? I take is Jasons guy doesnt have them done yet. Ha I might get the Z done before you.

250rfan
03-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Whats the deal on the tripples? I take is Jasons guy doesnt have them done yet. Ha I might get the Z done before you.

The new bespoke Billet triples are on there way to Scotland. :w00t: :w00t:

Muddy200x
03-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Very very nice work, Awesome job! http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/images/smilies/the%20man.gifI'm eagerly waiting to see you finish this Bad Boy. Have you given any thought to the battery venting and destroying internal engine parts? Just thought I'd ask incase it was overlooked.

Again, Awesome job!

250rfan
04-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Well the triples are now at my house :w00t: :w00t: , i have'nt seen them yet as am overseas working :( , but will deffinately be posting some pics in about 3 weeks ( unless i can get the wife to do it :wondering ).

The 450's gonna ROLL!!!!!!!

:Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce

Many thanks to Jason Hall for his assistance with these.

johnny's X
04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Its a miracle. Did you see the Z is almost rolling haha. Cant wait to see it

Jason Hall
04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Glad I could help ol buddy. I hope your happy with them.

SmurfanCoke
04-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Good to hear m8, still can't waith to see this baby finished, if she's half as good a your previous incarnations, she'll be special.....

Pull a sickie, get home for the weekend....

atczack
04-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Its got to be the most awesome project I've ever seen! I think the 20:1 sticker is funny:)

Custom200
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
I just finished reading through this entire thread and i am astounded. I Never would dream of doin work like this and i just cant wait to see it completed. Awsome job man.

250rfan
04-11-2008, 05:35 AM
I just finished reading through this entire thread and i am astounded. I Never would dream of doin work like this and i just cant wait to see it completed. Awsome job man.

Thanks very much guys, your compliments are much appreciated... :D ,

I'm hosed i have to wait 3 weeks before i can start on the 450 again, but while i've been waiting on the triples i've been busy building my 85 250r flat track 'privateer' bike :naughty: , this has kept me occupied :Bounce as well as finalizing a few small issues with the 450 :drool: .

i'll try and get the wife :rolleyes: to send me the pics of the new triples, so i can post them up.

scrawny
04-11-2008, 10:43 AM
cool!

i would love to see a thread with all of your bikes in it...pics/info/ bla bla...

250rfan
04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
cool!

i would love to see a thread with all of your bikes in it...pics/info/ bla bla...

Cool!, no problem,,,:Bounce ,, i'm also building an 86 bigbore 250r rider at the moment so am looking to have the 450 and the two 250's finished in a couple of months then i'll post a thread with my collection. :D :D

250rfan
04-12-2008, 05:06 AM
HONDA HRC 450RR

Right, here you go,,,, these are the new billet triples, as you can see they are not totally finished, i still have a bit of machining to do for the trx 450 handle bar clamps, but that will not take long. These a practically an exact copy of the OEM triples, ie - rake is built into them.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/TrippleFrontView.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/Finishedtripples.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/Tripplesrearright.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/TripplesTurnedright.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/HONDAHRC450RR100008.jpg

That's about it for the moment.:D

Dirtcrasher
04-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Your wife has really sexy hands :naughty: :lol:

They look really slick and nasty!! You guys must have worked together a bit to engineer all the dimensions and rake I imagine... Came out really great :D

We ALL can't wait to see the end product.

super90
04-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Real nice, whoever machined thoes did a great job.

Derrick Adams
04-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Those triples did turn out real nice. I think they will compliment the bike well. I sure hope your running a trailing axle with the raked triples.

Cant wait to see some more pics!

250rfan
04-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Those triples did turn out real nice. I think they will compliment the bike well. I sure hope your running a trailing axle with the raked triples.

Cant wait to see some more pics!

Hey Derrick,

Glad to see you or Jason chime in,,:welcome: , ye Derrick for sure the axle will be trailing, it 's hopefully all figured out :wondering , well as much as can be before fitting and measuring ect - you know how it goes.

The triples are'nt finished yet still got some work to do on them but thanks to Jason/his mate the hard part is done.

I will be straight onto the 450 when i get home, so will hopefully have some new pics worth showing in a few more weeks.

Thanks,

Gordon.

Jason Hall
04-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Gordon and I talked alot on the phone about the triples. He knew just what he wanted, I helped relay everything to the machinist. I could'nt be at the machine shop every second, but I sure wanted to LOL. This job was kinda complicated because they were engineered as we went.

I'm sure by looking at his work on the rest of the bike, Gordon will have those triples looking real nice. I can't wait to see It rolling.

BC250R
04-14-2008, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the inspirational build and excelent coverage in your thread Gordon. After seeing some of your earlier posts i went and did a full 06 450R swinger, link and shock conversion on my 250R. I'm just finishing it off now but as you mentioned it is amazing how much hasn't changed in 30 years.

Your tripples that Jason has had made for you were obviously cnc machined. Does this mean there is a file somewhere and these can be duplicated for others to do the same conversion?:naughty:

Also, what is the model of the USD forks you are using?

Cheers Brett.