PDA

View Full Version : Update on my Tecate

Billy Golightly
10-25-2002, 03:20 PM
Well I finally got a little bit of free time to mess with it and took the flywheel cover off and ouch...The flywheel looks like its been sitting on the botom of the atlantic ocean since it was made, very rusty. Got it pulled off and looked inside of it and 3 out of the 4 magnets have chunks broke out of the front of them. They also appear to be re-glued onto the flywheel. Now this poses a bit of a problem to me because the gluing job doesn't exactly look the greatest (It looks like a 2 year old got a bottle of glue and just squirted it inside the flywheel) I'm thinking perhaps a previous owner of the machine re-glued the magnets himself which leads to the possibility that they could be glued on wrong like Howdy's backwards Tecate he had. Theres not any way to check and see if its firing at the right time is there? I guess I can only clean things up and install my reeds/airfilter and hope that it runs and if not I can only assume that the magnets are glued in wrong.

Howdy
10-26-2002, 02:46 PM
Or you can send it to me and I can compare it to the flywheel I have.

MIK6
10-26-2002, 07:10 PM
Billy. I still have my spare flywheel out. If HOWDY describes his tests/results we can compair it to mine, then to yours. We did this at Haspin, It was the only way to see what was going on w/ the "famus reverse TECATE".

LET ME KNOW
MIK6 / Mike

Billy Golightly
10-28-2002, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the offer Mike, we might have to do that. I've now got this 350X project in the shop along with alot of other stuff. But maybe when I can get kinda caught up we can find something out.

Jeb
10-28-2002, 11:37 AM
If you get the bike running, you can pull the flywheel cover and use a timing light. the marks should line up at 6000 rpm (if i remember correctly). also, check the stator while you got the flywheel off. make sure the mark on the case is lined up with the far right mark on the stator to start with, not the center as you would naturally think. then use the timing light and adjust accordingly if need be.