PDA

View Full Version : My Auto Accident pics from 10-23-2007

350Xhilaration
10-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, yesterday afternoon I was in an accident and the intrepid didn't fare so well.

I was rear-ended at a stoplight by a 1500 series GMC truck. I have a sore neck/back and some abrasions, but am OK.

Not sure why the airbag did not deploy after impacting the car in front of me, but it didn't. The driver's seat recliner broke and I ended up staring at the headliner.

I'll be fine and the grocery getter crumpled well enough to keep me safe.

Here are the pics:

http://350xriders.com/crash/images/crash04.jpg
http://350xriders.com/crash/images/crash05.jpg
http://350xriders.com/crash/images/crash06.jpg
http://350xriders.com/crash/images/crash10.jpg
http://350xriders.com/crash/images/crash12.jpg
http://350xriders.com/crash/images/crash16.jpg

http://www.350xriders.com/crash for more pics.

Mrs.Mosh
10-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Wow, glad you are ok. That looks nasty.

ColeTrickle
10-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Wow! Looks like the truck was going pretty good, did you see it coming? Glad you're ok!

SYKO
10-24-2007, 02:35 PM
truck was going about 20mph when he hit you? whats his insurance company?

storm_impulse
10-24-2007, 03:19 PM
had to been going more then 20mph. i got rear ended in a 86 fiero gt by a simular truck and it didnt do near as much damage as that. mine was all fiberglass too. glad to hear everything it ok man.

team-red-rider
10-24-2007, 03:30 PM
jeez!!! that looks bad...and the air bag didnt deploy becuase there is no sensor on the hood...but it SHOULD have deployed from the rear end theres a sensor back there under the bumper ...unless it was damaged ?

350Xhilaration
10-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Not sure how fast he was going. Witnesses said he was driving too fast for the conditions and "really plowed into me".

I'd say closer to 30-40 before impact. I was doing 30-35 before I stopped behind the car in front of me. Blind curve and the stoplight was malfunctioning. When I got to where the light was there was a car stopped at the "no light" so I slammed the brakes and came to a stop. About 1 second later I was staring at the headliner and rolling across the road. I never saw him coming. I talked to the girl today at the towing yard. She said she saw me coming behind her and saw that I had stopped. She looked away and then got slammed and wondered what happened.

Syko...think you can buff that out? :eek:

SYKO
10-24-2007, 04:05 PM
jeez!!! that looks bad...and the air bag didnt deploy becuase there is no sensor on the hood...but it SHOULD have deployed from the rear end theres a sensor back there under the bumper ...unless it was damaged ?

dont speak... there is only 1 sensor in that whole car, it takes a rolling impact of 40+ to deploy and will deploy at less then 10 for a non rolling impact

yea it can buff oout..

also that seat breaking is a preventative measure to major injuries as well, instead on wappinyou head back against the top of the seat it simply breaks and you follow it down, im most cases lessening the impact to the back of your head, also your seat belt pretensioners are probably broken now, thats another preventative measure

Aka_am
10-24-2007, 04:31 PM
got any pics from the truck? Becuase I've seen some nasty accident where the truck is un touched.

84honda200s
10-24-2007, 04:43 PM
dam man glad your ok (for the most part) sucks you lost your ride though.

team-red-rider
10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
well syko. idk about new cars but the older dodges had a couple sensors in them.,...for example our dakota had on in the front bumper and 1 in each fender ... the book even said so..

Dammit!
10-24-2007, 05:14 PM
A little duct tape can fix that right up.

350Xhilaration
10-24-2007, 05:19 PM
I was very happy at the way it crumpled and the seat broke. The airbag probably wouldn't have done anything to help me anyway.

Here's the truck: Airbag didn't deploy in it either.
http://www.350xriders.com/crash/images/crash02.jpg
http://www.350xriders.com/crash/images/crash17.jpg
http://www.350xriders.com/crash/images/crash18.jpg

Aka_am
10-24-2007, 06:09 PM
the truck looks no where near as bad as your car. Well I'm glad your ok!

ATC-Eric
10-24-2007, 06:45 PM
WOW!!!!!!

Glad to hear your mostly okay. Hopefully your in as much pain as your gonna be.

Been to the hospital?

JasonB
10-24-2007, 06:58 PM
ya dont waste time on going for the hospital visit if your in pain. Did you sign off on the release to avoid the ambulance ride to the hospital?? Glad to see your ok though, that sucks to get into accidents, especially when they arent your fault.

brapp
10-24-2007, 07:18 PM
haha tag your it!!!!!!!!nah seriously tough sorry do sound liek a dick couldnt resist btu glad your alright and hope things go good for a speedy recovery.

tecat-z
10-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Glad to hear you're in good shape and in good spirits. On the brite side, looks like you'll be gettin a new ride here real soon.The gmc, maybe repairable, the Dodge, scrap. These newer vehicles really fold under during impact. They really save lots of serious injuries in doing so though.

350Xhilaration
10-24-2007, 08:02 PM
They took me via ambulance to the ER that was 3 minutes away from the crash scene. An EMT/Police dispatcher saw the accident and ran over within seconds. He asked if I was OK and I said I'm not sure yet. My shin hurt and my neck felt "stretched". Not sure how to explain it, but it felt as if my head was attached with loose rubber bands. So he stabilized my head till the ambulance crew shoed up. They put a collar on me and slid a backboard behind me and drug me out through the right rear door. As they were carting me to the ambulance I pulled the cell phone out and snapped a pic. The dude asked "Did you just take a pic of you car?!?!?!?" I said yup...didn't get to see from inside. He laughed and said he'd never seen anyone snap a pic from the gurney before. Made his day I'm sure.

Gonna have to wait to see what the deal will be with insurance stuff before I figure out what newer ride I get. I haven't signed anything yet.

200xcellent
10-24-2007, 08:12 PM
wow rhuel im glad you are ok, well for the most part it sounds like. good thing it was a gmc that hit ya instead of a blue chevy!

team-red-rider
10-24-2007, 08:40 PM
well my guess is that the GMC will be totaled..and FOR SURE the intrepid is gonna be totaled lol...

Nick_R_23
10-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Man that sucks to be in an accident,, and be out of a car for a while. Sounds like your OK though, so thats good.

That GMC is definately repairable!!! I saw a guy with a car that got hit in the back like yours was, he just cut all the damage off and made a wood/metal bed for it, and sealed it off from the seat. Did a good job and looked pretty good too. :D :crazy:

-Nick :TrikesOwn

400exguy
10-24-2007, 10:00 PM
ya dont waste time on going for the hospital visit if your in pain. Did you sign off on the release to avoid the ambulance ride to the hospital?? Glad to see your ok though, that sucks to get into accidents, especially when they arent your fault.

Why would you ever do such a thing? You should always get checked to make sure nothing serious has happened. Most of the time there is pain theres a reason for it, havent really heard of you only being seriously hurt when there isnt pain.:crazy: The persons insurance at fault will pay for the hospital anyways even if there was no pain its always better to be safe then sorry.

Good to see your ok buddy. How bad was the ladies car you got pushed into? I didnt see any pics of that car but then again I only really looked at the pics of your car.

I was once in an accident where our car got totalled. As crazy as it sounds, it was the best thing that ever happend to the car. We got WAYYYY more for the car then it was worth, actually I think we got close to what we paid for it when we bought it used 5 or so years prior. My dad was happy once he found that out and that the person with me and I were both ok.:beer

stoney420
10-24-2007, 10:03 PM
As they were carting me to the ambulance I pulled the cell phone out and snapped a pic. The dude asked "Did you just take a pic of you car?!?!?!?" I said yup...didn't get to see from inside. He laughed and said he'd never seen anyone snap a pic from the gurney before. Made his day I'm sure.

haha i wanna see the pic at the scene from on the stretcher :lol:

wheelie king
10-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Judging from the pics (which I hate to do) , he was doing nearly 40 on impact.

But what do I know......;) ;) ;) ;)

At least you are OK and were in a safe car.

Regards.

hancadam
10-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the wreck. I had one about two months ago in my brand new Silverado. I also was re-ended at a red light. Ive had trouble with my neck for years and the wreck was icing on the cake. I go tomorrow for a MRI. Not too excited about it. I hope everything works out for you.

350Xhilaration
10-25-2007, 05:43 AM
Noah, I think you read ATCaddict's post wrong. He was saying "don't waste time BEFORE getting seen" , not "don't bother getting seen".

I'll have to get the pic off my phone from the gurney and get it posted. The car I hit wasn't that bad at all.

Have to get Howdy out here to make a new half car!!! The engine and trans are still good. I remember shutting the engine off after I rolled across the street.

Getting more sore each day. Hope this tapers off soon and I start feeling less pain each day. I'll get the pics of the other car up as well.

EDIT: updated pics. I had to pixelate the license plate first on the car I was pushed into.

350Xhilaration
10-25-2007, 06:49 AM
from the gurney...

400exguy
10-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Noah, I think you read ATCaddict's post wrong. He was saying "don't waste time BEFORE getting seen" , not "don't bother getting seen".

I must apologize then, I read it as don’t waste time going. I’m sorry, reading it quickly makes it seem like he was telling you not to go.

Sometimes it takes a few days before you feel the most pain. And remembering how long it took for you to get better from you spill at TF 06, you will be sidelined for a month or more ya old man:eek: Just kidding pal, take it easy and give us pics when you get a new ride.

icp4life162005
10-25-2007, 09:07 AM
So where did you trunk run off to...............? J/K Hope you do get better though! Remember he is at fault, By law you can sue.

oldsking86
10-25-2007, 12:19 PM
OH yes, sue sue sue!! People like that who can't drive don't deserve to get away with anything!! I was involved in a little accident the otehr day, young girl ran the red light so she was at fault. Car was ok, but I now have a little foot and back pain so my attorney and I are meeting up about it all.

Glad to see you're ok still, don't let it stop you from riding either :)

icp4life162005
10-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Yes but he IS in pain from another driver. It was not his carelessness that caused the accident but the driver of the truck who rear ended him and destroyed his car, and could have of potentially, very seriously injured him or worse(x_x).

Howdy
10-25-2007, 06:44 PM

I'll have to get the pic off my phone from the gurney and get it posted. The car I hit wasn't that bad at all.

Have to get Howdy out here to make a new half car!!! The engine and trans are still good. I remember shutting the engine off after I rolled across the street.
Getting more sore each day. Hope this tapers off soon and I start feeling less pain each day. I'll get the pics of the other car up as well.

EDIT: updated pics. I had to pixelate the license plate first on the car I was pushed into.

Not a "Half" bad idea!! lmao

I hope all goes well. I hate dealing with insurance companies. I only ever had 1 time where the insurance company actually took care of everything without having any problems. And I hope your pain goes away quickly!!
Howdy

jason85atc250r
10-25-2007, 11:35 PM
i bought a 82 4x4 toyota truck for parts that a guy did the half car thing to but he did not have to cut much to get it apart.:lol: he just let the back of the frame drag in the dirt. he said he had it up to 40 mph

Nightbiker07
10-25-2007, 11:41 PM
depends on the car syko. there are multiple sensors in newer cars, including ones under the seat attached to the seatbelt system so if the belt gwts yanked hard, POOF! but the sensors are in the front and sides,(for side curtains), never in the rear......what good would a air bag do when getting rear ended?????

Nightbiker07
10-25-2007, 11:42 PM
and Dammit thats a nasty wreck........id b like....OWWWW MY NECK MY FREAKING NECK........

SYKO
10-26-2007, 01:07 AM
depends on the car syko. there are multiple sensors in newer cars, including ones under the seat attached to the seatbelt system so if the belt gwts yanked hard, POOF! but the sensors are in the front and sides,(for side curtains), never in the rear......what good would a air bag do when getting rear ended?????

tellin me about the workings of automobiles is like tellin a quantem physics scientist to add 1+1 this is my feild I look at these every day 50,000 cars in the last 3 years, I know whats all in them. I dont want to go into detail about all the workings on the airbag and restraint systems on newer cars so I keep it simple for everyone.

dodge intrepid in fact only has one sensor that is inluded into the main srs module, and if its equiped with side impact bags it has a sensor in both b pillers, no seat belt air bag restraint sensors, by the way your going to have to tell me wich vehicle this is on as well? never heard of that.

350Xhilaration
10-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Feeling a bit better today, but that might be due to the Vicadin I took last night. That's the first time I took any of the prescription stuff. I've been sticking to 4 doses of 800mg of Ibuprofen a day. Seems to work ok.

I have no idea what sensors are where in an intrepid, and it doesn't matter a whole lot. In this accident, the airbag would not have helped a bit in my opinion. The rear crumple zone did exactly what it was supposed to do: Absorb energy so I didn't.

As bad as this wreck looks from the car's perspective, from the interior of the car, it looks very survivable, even with a full load of passengers. The person sitting behind the driver would have had some sore legs at the very least, but almost surely survived. Other than that, the floor didn't heave upwards, the gas tank didn't breach, the C pillars started to buckle like they all should. The front end really only mashed the hood and core support areas. Easily fixable. looks way worse than it really is. Didn't "swing" the front end from what I can see.

I'd buy another Intrepid of the same generation in a minute. Actually, I'm going to look at a 2004 Intrepid a lil later today. Same trim level as mine with 45k miles. Only difference is the color. This one is white.

I won't be riding anytime soon, as it's painful to turn my head side to side and I can't lift it comfortably from a pillow without using my hand to help pick my head up. Once I'm up I can walk around ok, not great, but ok.

Anyone want to buy a sled?? I doubt I'll be riding this winter.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys, I think in time I'll recover completely. It's just going to take a while.

SYKO
10-26-2007, 09:25 AM
yep, im glad you made it for the most part out alright, we looked at a study done about 10 years ago about crash dynamics of vehicles, the myth was older heavy cars (impalas, cordovas, towncars, imperials ) 60s and 70 era cars were safer then newer smaller cars. Well part of it is true with the same 35 mph those cars would have minimal damage, compared to the destroyed "newer" cars, this difference, they did it like real word, there were test dummies but say with a purse in the front seat (like a woman driving) well after inspecting everything, they had a bottle of asprin in the purse, becouse of the inpact and the fact that the old heavy car didnt absorb the impact the asprin inside the bottle was turned to DUST! that shows what is possible happening inside your body at the time of impact. Newer cars crumple absorbing the impact lessing the chances of internal and fatal injuries, your car did an excellent job, reall world tests are better than any crash test ratings in my opinion, also from a small car standpoint the Chrysler Pt cruiser is one of the strongest built smaller cars, the worst In my OP and experience the Honda CIVIC if you hit a flea with that car it causes 9,000 dollars of damage. DID you ever find out the other parties insurance company?

350Xhilaration
10-26-2007, 11:07 PM
My innerds feel a lot worse than my outards look. Neck and all surrounding areas still feel like heck. The hot tub has felt great though. Just gt out a lil while ago. Gonna sleep like a baby. Can't take any of the prescription meds tonight. Wife is working and I have the kids. Can't be all looped up in case something were to happen with one of them.

I do have the other guys insurance info. And the gal in front of me. And the police report incident number. The report wasn't completed yesterday, so all I got was the #.

I went to look at that Intrepid today. I'll be picking it up on Tuesday. It'll feel just like home. Same trim level as mine and less than half the miles. It will cost a lil more than what I think they'll give me for my pile-o-parts, but I don't have much of a choice at this point. I need a replacement vehicle now.

I'll get some pics up when I get it.

team-red-rider
10-27-2007, 09:47 AM
good choice for a new car! Intredpids are good cars we used a rental intredpid to tour the east coast a few years ago ...before gas was 3bux a gallon lol...actually wen it was still 99cents in parts of georgia!!

350Xhilaration
11-04-2007, 06:19 PM
"new ride". So far so good.

http://350xriders.com/trep/images/trep01.jpg

http://350xriders.com/trep/images/trep03.jpg

http://350xriders.com/trep/images/trep04.jpg

icp4life162005
11-04-2007, 09:09 PM
so how ya feelin? back to 100% yet?

350Xhilaration
11-05-2007, 09:35 AM
so how ya feelin? back to 100% yet?

Pain varies from day to day. Some days I feel really good, then as the day goes on I get stiff and sore. Right now I have some burning across my upper shoulders/neck area. I start physical therapy today at 11 to see if they can help.

Range of motion is not there yet either. I can't lift my chin very high without some serious pain in the front sides of my neck. Sneezing is a real blast as is yawning. I'm far from 100%. As much as this hurts, it's way better than 0% if you know what I mean.

Thanks for asking.