PDA

View Full Version : Safety equipment is a must! Warning pic inside!!!!!!!!!

lisnup65
05-19-2003, 10:23 AM
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/20035192804122412051702.jpg

I always wear safety gear, as in a helmet and gloves min. I was moving my 250R yesterday and I had neither on. Well low and behold my jacket sleeve tangled with the throttle and I hand a minor wheelie, roll to the side flip. Well al this happened in a freak nature with in 15 seconds at no greater than 10/12 MPH. Now if my riding gloves were on I could/would have been spaired. Some bruising and a sore hand are much better than the 15 stitches and 0 movement in my hand now.

I post this because I cannot stress the importance of safety gear when riding 2,3, or 4 wheeled machines. What I took for granted in moving the machine 150 yards will now stare at me in the form of a scare for the rest of my life.

Be safe and gear up is the words of the day!!!!!!!!

J.D.
05-19-2003, 10:42 AM
WHAT THE HELL! :shock: :shock: :shock: What exactly happened there bud?(BTW, scars are good. the chicks around here dig 'em ;))

Also, do you have any local beekeepers around? IF you do, go and buy some honey, and I don't mean bullcrap of the grocery store counter, find a real beekeeper and put some honey on that. Honey kills ALL bacteria, germs, etc, and helps it heal much much much quicker. Believe me, my dad and I have 150 hives, so I know all this crap and if you do put honey on it you'll cut healing time in 1/2, probably.

Dirtcrasher
05-19-2003, 12:11 PM
Man thats horrible!!! I hope it heals up well and you get your feeling back in it.

You just never know!!!!

Someone I went to school with was decapitated in a truck accident this weekend. He was getting married and just finished dental school. I guess your situation is a little bit better.

Good luck

CHAINSAW
05-19-2003, 12:22 PM
mmmm.. that makes me hungry..

Dirtcrasher
05-19-2003, 03:47 PM
What was it that actually cut your hand??

I'm not sure if gloves would've helped with that slice.

Again, hope it feels better!!

ATC crazy
05-19-2003, 04:16 PM
THATS SICK...uugggghhhhh...good luck on recovery...Man thats nasty :shock:

YAMAHA_Jim
05-19-2003, 10:16 PM
That looks bad "OUCH" .I wanna see pics of the stitching job. I wear Mechanix gloves when I'm wrenching and race/ride gloves when I'm riding.I have scars all over my hands/fingers but none like that. Good Luck healin up.

TrikeKid
05-20-2003, 12:40 AM
good luck on recovery and having your hand grow back to its normal shape. Some accidents are unavoidable but some are so it is a must to wear safty equipment. My dad has cut the tips of two fingers of during a motocross race and broken two toes half way into a hundred mile deseret race so he knows the importance of safety equipment.

3WheelsForever
05-20-2003, 07:10 AM
That looks like it would hurt terriblly bad. Good luck to getting better. Yah I am also wondering what it is that cut you?

lisnup65
05-20-2003, 08:02 AM
Thanks all for the words on getting better. The handle bar is what caused the above gash. I was to cut, but rather the skin was tore open. The throttle tangled with my sleeve that has velcro on it. When I was trying to get it undone I caused excessive throttle. Result was a wheelie that brought be over on the large PRM grab bar. I was in the vertical position trying to bring the trike back to 3 wheels. As I got the front end to head back dowm by using the brake, my weight must have been shifted as it started leaning to the right while the front was going back to the ground. At that time I had the clutch pulled in and out of normal body reaction my throttle(right) hand prepared for ground impact. I think my hand was open palmed to the ground when the bars rammed it before the trike cartwheeled away. I received only 1 other minor scratch from my leg rubbing the plastic. The odds of my hand being were the bars hit the ground are slimmer than winning a lottery. It was a freak accident, but I still feel if I had my gloves on I would not have a torn open hand.

Billy Golightly
05-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Man thats a really nasty injury. After seeing that I think I might try and go dig out my riding gloves and start wearing them. Is there any chance you'll regain movement in your hand or is it totally gone?

lisnup65
05-20-2003, 10:47 AM
Man thats a really nasty injury. After seeing that I think I might try and go dig out my riding gloves and start wearing them. Is there any chance you'll regain movement in your hand or is it totally gone?

I still retain movement in my hand. I am not yet sure about all movement as its far to sore to test the limits of pain.

Billy Golightly
05-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Well atleast thats some pretty good news, I thought maybe you had totally lost movement in it which would have been really bad. I bet they have you on some pretty beefy pain killers for something like that :shock:

lisnup65
05-20-2003, 12:33 PM
Well atleast thats some pretty good news, I thought maybe you had totally lost movement in it which would have been really bad. I bet they have you on some pretty beefy pain killers for something like that :shock:Just lousy Vicadin. All it does is give me the shakes.

Andrew
05-20-2003, 05:03 PM
it took a chunk out of trailprotrailpro hand in the shape of a smiley face shock shock

Ace Mon
05-20-2003, 05:25 PM
A friend of mines kid and him were out riding and his kid thought something was amiss with his yz 85 . So his dad hops on and takes it for a spin around the track (with no helmet ) not inteding to catch air. Well the throttle got pinned open and he got some serious facial road rash out of the deal . I feel for you bro . Getting jacked up sucks ! I allways wear my gear when I ride , including my spine armadillo . Sure it sucks when its 105degrees outside but to me its worth it . Thanks for sharing that pic and shedding some light on the touchy "should I wear my gear " subject . I realize that you werent actually going for a ride , just moving the bike . But you may have enlightened some more than you'll ever know . Ace

kyle
05-20-2003, 08:31 PM
if you look at it sideways it looks like lips with a lot of lipstick, hope it heals good for ya! and btw, how many stitches?

J.D.
05-20-2003, 08:33 PM
Some bruising and a sore hand are much better than the 15 stitches and 0 movement in my hand now.

lisnup65
05-20-2003, 08:42 PM
if you look at it sideways it looks like lips with a lot of lipstick, hope it heals good for ya! and btw, how many stitches?

15 stitches and it could have used a few more. Its still bleeding as of 3 minutes ago.

kyle
05-20-2003, 09:19 PM
looks painful man! i hope it heels well

Andrew
05-20-2003, 10:17 PM
i hate to tell ya this,but it looks like its gonna leave a nasty scar

lisnup65
06-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Just an update! I still have that numb feeling around the area and in my thumb. I receive some serious discomfort when over working it or squeezing to tight like a fist. The wound itself is coming along nicely and the scar should not be as bd as I first suspected.

hondaATCman
06-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I try to wear atleast a helmet when I go riding in the moutains. When I'm just riding around the yard or up the street I ususally don't wear any kind of safety gear. One day I was debating with myself whether I should put on my helmet or not cause I was about ready to go on a little mountain trip. I was leaving without it, but then turned around and got it. Well about 200 yards later i was going up a steep hill, hit a little tree stump and BAM it flipped over backwards on me before I knew what was happening. The impact of the handle bars and my head was enough to crack my motocross helmet in half and the throttle came through the open-faced part of the helmet and smashed my face which left me with a broken nose and busted lip that had teeth imprinted on the inside and words that was from the brake fluid holder for the front brakes on the outside.

Two days ago one of my good friends was killed in a 4-wheeler accident. He wasn't wearing a helmet and his head landed on a rock as the 4-wheeler was flipping over and the handle bars landed on his forehead, similiar to what happened to me except in his case his head was cracked in half. If he was wearing a helmet, he probly would have a headache right now, but still be here. I always see people on the news getting killed in ATV accidents but since my friend got killed, it makes me stop and grab the old helmet.

No matter how good of a driver you are, it only takes once.

Andrew
06-09-2003, 07:17 PM
correction,i just remembered i HAVE wrecked one ATV but it was a little 5hp gocart(it wasnt mine,and it was brand new at the time,last summer)well i was going wide open(and had a passenger)i was going about 35mph and i tried to drift around a turn,(on dry dirt,im real smart!)and next thing i know i was on my side with the passenger already out of the cart,i wasnt hurt,just had a headache,but the kid with me was(he was only 11,he just bruised his wrist,the cart rolled over it) everyone was watching when it happened and said i barrel rolled twice trailprotrailpro i came to a stop,from the time i rolled to the time i stopped i have no recollection of it(only about 3sec,i dont know if my brain didnt know what was happening or what) but the worst part is i felt really bad because i bent the whole gocart slightly to one side(it was a cheapy "yurf dog",real thin rollbar tubing),but he said dont worry about it,and he has his own machine shop,so he's been redesigning the whole cart! -D

cb67rs1
06-10-2003, 08:37 PM
sucks to hear about your hand and i hope it heals well, i just have one question,, HOW THE HELL ARE YOU TYPING WITH THAT??