PDA

View Full Version : winter riding gloves?

super90
10-27-2007, 11:54 AM
What does everyone use for extremely cold winter rides? Last winter I always weared 1000g gloves but half way through every ride my hands would get horribly cold and had to stop to warm them up. What are some good gloves that I wont freeze to death in on the long rides???:(

Dammit!
10-27-2007, 03:00 PM
I used to wear two at once. A thin cotton glove with a thick winter glove on top of that. A big thing that helps a ton is to block the wind with some hand guards. There's a lot of different kinds on the market. Even some that are fabric that you put your hands into kind of like a huge oven mit. If need be you can even make something. Anything that will shield your hands from the wind will help.

ATC-Eric
10-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Gets some snowboarding/ski gloves!!! Waterproof, and wind resistant.

RedRider_AK
10-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I've had lots of this kind of trouble in the winter time myself. Riding in -30 F weather at 50+ mph on a sled with no way of blocking the cold wind from your hands gets old really quick.

Handguards work AWESOME if you get some decently large ones. I remember actually being able to wear regular Fox or Shift riding gloves a couple warmer days last winter, because I had some nice Acerbis handguards on my Yammi sled. I also have handmade "ghetto-rigged" handguards more than once, from gallon milk jugs and even just tarp in front of my gloves. Every little bit helps, believe me.

Winter gloves are always good to have, and if you have a twist throttle on your trike, you'll be able to operate it just fine. I rode in my winter gloves on my YZ80 when it started to get cold here, and I never got cold and never lost control of the throttle.

I would personally recommend handguards (Sportech makes really nice big ones that block a lot of the wind) and a hotgrips system, then you might be able to wear thin gloves. Otherwise, just get some nice thick winter gloves and you'll be fine.

84honda200s
10-27-2007, 05:07 PM
i use snowboarding gloves for winter riding.

super90
10-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Well I think that the wind was a huge problem too. I ordered some new thor ride cold weather gloves and im going to get a pair of hand guards from a friend that ill make work somehow. I think the hand guards would work really well too, I never really put that into perspective.

RedRider_AK
10-27-2007, 06:02 PM
What kind of handguards are they? Like I said, Sportech makes some really nice ones, they're only 50 bucks and you can get them in all sorts of colors, and in a colored chrome finish too. It'll look trick! Powermadd guards are smaller and protect less. Acerbis ones come in about 4 different sizes, and the bigger ones are good but the smaller ones don't do much.

super90
10-27-2007, 06:11 PM
there kawi green acerbis off a kx250. There big, they cover your whole hand. should work good

RedRider_AK
10-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah I had some Acerbis ones on my Yami 500SX sled last winter and they worked AWESOME. You barely got cold.

Dirtcrasher
10-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Gets some snowboarding/ski gloves!!! Waterproof, and wind resistant.

Yep, I wear KOMBI's and I'm nice and warm....

Name Brand
10-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Snowboarding gloves always felt baggy to me; I prefer just a good winter glove. I have a pair from Sportsman Warehouse that have a Gore-Tex outer and rubber palm. The cuff goes about three inches past my wrist and is tightened with a drawstring to really seal the cold out. I think that feature gets overlooked alot. I wear these gloves when I'm downhill skiing.

I'm thinking about putting heated grips on my SX.

badasskfx
10-28-2007, 11:39 AM
check out the powermadd gauntlett. i have that on my bike and havent had any issues with cold hands they are a stay open design.
go here and get the color you want.
http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=257
the aluminum mounts are much nicer then then the kit powermadd offers.
heres is what the look like installed
http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/powermaddatvstarhandguardgauntlet.html
these are the best hand gaurds in my opinion. you can remove the black insert and then they are vented. theres other options availible also.

super90
10-28-2007, 09:48 PM
I put on the acerbis guards today off of my friends old dirtbike and they are pretty nice but the lime green just dosent look right! Thoes powermadds look nice, im going to buy a pair of thoes as soon as I get my new bars. Should work really nicely. Thanks for the info!