PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z WestCoast Swingarm...

Jeb
10-12-2002, 12:12 AM
Just got my "new" +2 inch over stock WestCoast Swingarm for the Tri-Z in this afternoon !!! Already got the stock swingarm off the 85 Z, got the bearings and stuff pressed into the West Coast and in the morning after some much needed cleaning of the linkage, on she goes! This was the first time I have ever taken apart a Tri-Z rear end. Good Lord there are alot of parts in the swingarm pivot! I look forward to getting her together for a ride to see how the +2 arm effects the handling of the Z. unfortunately it will be a little while before I can ride it because I need a longer chain now. :-P. I've got a good one that goes to my 84 Tecate, which has a +2 arm. We'll have to see if it'll work for now. I now need one more piece to complete this racing replica, a + 4 axle!

Also got a brand new +2 WestCoast for the 84 Tecate. I feel like it's '84 again and I just got in my new swingarm I ordered from the back of DirtWheels or something. :-D :-D It's never been on a trike, never had bearings installed or nothing. It has MINT stickers on each side, It's unbelievable.

One man's junk is definately another man's TREASURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

hrc200x
10-12-2002, 01:38 AM
Cool deal, what do you do for longer brake lines?

Jeb
10-12-2002, 08:15 PM
Well I got the Swingarm on the Tri-Z earlier today no problem. Looks awesome anyway. Will have to get pics as soon as I can. :-D

My chain idea did not work. the 84 tecate's stock rear end is so short that the extra long chain I have for it that I have to use with its +2 swingarm is the same length as the stock length chain I took off the Tri-Z! I was afraid that was gonna be the case, but that's OK, I need new sprockets and a new chain for the Z anyhow. I've got a 14 on the front now and I would like to leave the 14 and also drop the rear down a couple teeth and try that with the 18" tires.

As far as brake lines go, I have a longer braided steel line for my 84 Tecate. Believe it or not, the stock Tri-Z brake line was plenty long enough for this +2 Swingarm. Still has lots of slack, so travel won't stretch it tight either.

Curtis-Tecate3
10-13-2002, 10:34 PM
Jeb, How about a photo of these new swingarms. I am curious if my mystery +2 swingarm for my 86 looks like yours? What color is the one for the Tecate? Thanks.

Curtis.

Jeb
10-14-2002, 11:47 AM
Hey Curtis!

Here's a pic that shows the 86/87 swingarm right next to the 84/85. The 84/85 is shorter and has the aluminum piece. The 86 is next to it one the left, its longer and tapered, with the tabs hanging off the side for the chain sliders to bolt to. I would have bought the 86 one too, but it had already been sold. Also is a seperate pic of my "original" WestCoast from my 84 Tecate that I had restored.

The Tri-Z arm is is to the far right of the 84/85 Tecate arm. Not sure what the far left swingarm is, maybe some Honda???

Jeb
10-14-2002, 11:51 AM
My orginal '84 WestCoast...

Curtis-Tecate3
10-14-2002, 02:25 PM
Jeb, I guess mine is not a westcoast then. Although quite similar with the taper etc. mine doesnt have the chain slider tabs and it is painted Blue. I am pretty sure that it may be a Dura-Blue swingarm as they made them for a few years way back when.....Also a company called Franks did some as well...
One question...Where sis you find these since they are already gone anyway..???

Curtis.

Jeb
10-14-2002, 09:49 PM
Hey Curtis, most of the west coast's i've seen have been the trade mark white with blue decals. there was a red one for sale a while back on ebay for 84/85 Tecate. I'm not sure if this was a factory color or was repainted by someone over the years.

As for how I came across them, there was a link posted in the classifieds page that there was a guy had 14 or 15 of these swingarms for sale on ebay. except for those 3, i believe they were mostly honda 250R. he was selling them all as a lot. He's out of California and went to westcoast and bought what they had left in the back. while the auction was running, I emailed him and told him I'd be interested in the two kawasaki arms and the Z arm. he said he'd let me know if they didn't sell, but the 86 KXT arm was already spoken for. Sure enought they didn't sell as a lot, so i got the Z and 84 KXT arms. Don't know who got the 86 KXT arm.

Is this picture the same swingarm as your's? it's the only pic i have of a Dura Blue.

also notice the hubs on this trike. not 84 tecate, but definately 8" rims. ;)

Jeb
10-14-2002, 09:53 PM
For the hell of it, here's the red WestCoast 84/85.

Pretty poor pic.

Curtis-Tecate3
10-15-2002, 09:40 AM
Jeb, Well I guess you helped ID my swingawm. Mine is in fact the Dura-Blue +2 swingarm and unfortunately not a Westcoast. Oh well, It is still better than the stocker. Funny thing is that I have seen that pic somewhere before and didnt notice the swingarm. I guess I assumed that it was a painted stocker since most of the bike is painted funny anyway. Thanks for helping me out. Nice score on the swingarms...BTW, do you think the guy had any left for maybe an 85 200x??? Please provide his email if you can and I will contact him direct.

Curtis

Jeb
10-15-2002, 04:37 PM
Thanks Curtis!

as far as the 86 Tecate goes, I like the dura-blue swingarm better than the westcoast. the WestCoast may be strong, but it tapers too much. Anyway, i hated to miss out on it since it was new, never used. But I keep hoping someday one of us will find the aluminum +2 Cal-Fab. :-D

Those pics have been around I'm sure. I like the blue swingarm just fine, but the red frame has got to go.... :shock:

Curtis-Tecate3
10-16-2002, 09:24 AM
Jeb, FYI, The guy with the swingarms is sold out.....

Curtis

Kilborg
10-16-2002, 07:17 PM
The one on the left is definently a honda Pro-Link copy. Most likely for a 86+ 250r.