PDA

View Full Version : HELMETS Can they save our sport?

RacerRichie
05-20-2003, 03:56 PM
OK some squids in here keep posting pictures of them riding without helmets. Be prepared to get yelled at or called out. These loosers that think they are 'on the edge' are actually contributing to the demise of our sport and riding areas.
When you squids fall off and die our beloved sport suffers in many ways and they are obvious. :shock:
SO When I see a picture on this site like the one above I will always be advertising saftey.
Moderators may say 'OK enough about helmets or I'll move/delete you'(see riding pictures in vania) but thats ok because I know what is good for the sport and safety gear is it.
If I see a squid with no helemt on while riding, I ask them why they are not wearing one. You know why? Because when we have to call a helicopter to get your lame body to the trauma center it cuts in on my riding time!
If they say feedom of choice I then roost in thier face. What are you going to do about it lamo squid? You want to play?
RIDE WITH CORRECT GEAR AT ALL TIMES IT ONLY TAKES A SPLIT SECOND TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER> I have seen it .....................
Anybody else? :arrow:

lushatc200x
05-20-2003, 04:04 PM
man they will not ban 4 wheelers
they might restrict them but thats it
if someone wants to ride without one thats his or herts own buisness not urs bro. i ride without a helmet. all the time. and i ride very fast all the time. guess what when i get my cr500 i wont where a helmet. ;)

also i would like to call you a squid cause all you have in trailprotrailpro pic is a helmet. where are the riding boots, gloves chest protecter. your a rebel rider. short sleeve shirt as well. man i just totaly contridicted you post ouch. :D id love to see u lay some roost. thats another reason why people end up in the hospital trying stupid stuff like that. end up flippin the bike on their retarded selves. u otta come down some time and ride with my friends and i. we'd love to watch you lay some roost. and if you flip and break your back im gonna say hey where is the safty gear at bro. ya dumb squid :D

84250r
05-20-2003, 04:08 PM
Wearing a helmet,is the smart thing to do. Might not ban quads,trikes,cycles,etc,but it will kill/hurt more people if not wearing one.

cr500 i wont where a helmet.

I hope you have good life insurance. :shock:

mymint87
05-20-2003, 04:48 PM
i keep telling my friend to wear a helmet...but he never listens

Andrew
05-20-2003, 04:54 PM
im with u lush,i almost NEVER wear a helmet,wheather im riding a ATV or my crotch rocket(its a little one,if i were riding a 500 or bigger i WOULD wear a helmet then)

TimSr
05-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Death and injury statistics will always be the the primary focus of making the case against offroading or anything else. Just recently and article was posted on this board about how the CPSC was using statistics of an increased number of incidents involving and increased number of larger machines, without considering they were comparing to an increased number of operators, and compairng to a time when larger machines were rare. The CSPC felt that based solely on these statistics, they are justified in leveling a whole new barrage of intrustive regulations. Every accident or injury hurts the future of off roading, and it will always be the negative story that gets the publicity. Any mishap involving a child carries 50 times the weight of those involving adults. We must all promote safety and injury prevention or the goverment will do it for you.

Regarding helmets, my biggest problem with all the emphasis on helmets, all other critical gear is ignored, as though a single head covering will protect you from all injuries. Head injuries have a lot more potential to be fatal than others, so a helmet is certanily a priority. However, though rarely fatal, the most common ATV injury is of the legs an ankles, and these injuries are more common on trikes than quads, as trikers tend to be more prone to removing their feet from the pegs. Is there a serious triker around who has never run over their own foot? People break legs all the time, without even having a wreck. Get some boots! With Oneil making $60 MX boots, its a good investment, but if not, at least get some $20 workboots at KMart.
Finally, again with legs and ankle being on top of the list, save the shorts for the beach! And if you ride a bike, knee injuries rank almost as high as ankles!

Aside from that gruesome picture on another post, hand injuries that are preventable by gloves areent that common. The value of eyewear depends on the riding conditions. On a track, with guys roosting you, its a must, but when your chugging through trails without a rooster in front, their impedance to your vision may be more detrimental than the benefits.

Helmets are great, but they only protect your head!

TrikeKid
05-20-2003, 05:39 PM
Not wearing a helmet is stupid. I don't care if you think makes you look stupid! The only stupid thing to do is not wear your gear. How cool are you gona look in a hospital bed with a broken neck. Or worse in a coffin dead because you didnt wear your helmet and suffered a fatal head injury. My 2 cents.

kimmer250r
05-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Sorry, but you're a dumb trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro if you don't wear a helmet. My friend was going to just take a spin around the house when the throttle stuck and he hit some trees ripping over 9" of his scalp back the full width of his head! This happened about 1 month ago. I'll have to see if he can send me the pics with the scalp peeled back showing bare skull. Then, to add to the good luck going around...his brother was working and an auger that loads chemicals caught his glove and ground off 3 fingers. I don't ride without my helmet at all. Never know what can happen.

mymint87
05-20-2003, 06:08 PM
see what happened ..my friend finally listened to me........... and look,,,,,, he can jump higher.....now wheres the rest of his gear?.....he'll never learn

RacerRichie
05-21-2003, 07:33 AM
Its people like lushatc200X that will ruin the sport for us.
It is important to wear all gear and I wear full gear when I RIDE!
But when I pose for my avatar I am showing my pipes man!
This site has too many children on it that are in full squid mode.

For the rest of the adults, Lets all go out and preach saftey gear. It may save our sport and riding areas.
What do you guys wear for gear?
When RIDING I wear: Helemt, Boots, MX Pants, Goggles, Gloves, Chest Protector, and Kidney Belt.(when racing I wear a cup also!OUCH) :shock:

Ivan T
05-21-2003, 07:56 AM
Since when has going and riding a motorbike been a sport.
You seem to be a bit confused, sport=competition. How many people here compete (races etc) without protective gear, none.

If people were quite so quick to sue the manufacturers the atcs might still be in production. That sticker on the petrol tank that says "always wear safety equipment" follow what it says and if you dont it is your fault and not the governments or manufacturers. If you make a mistake and dont follow instructions you can only blame yourself.

Basically it is going to be US legislation which will stop atvs. It is the biggest market.

We have the NHS here and can get fixed for free anyway!!
(joke by the way)

lushatc200x
05-21-2003, 02:50 PM
no im not the reason your recreation is ruining. and thats what it is a recreation. not a sport unless you race on a professional level there RacerRichie. its overconcerned idiots that have nothing better to do then ruin everything for everyone else or hippies that like to save the earth. nothin wrong with savin the earth but he11 find somethin else to cry about like coal burning or diging for oil. whatever. and im not a child you sped. im an adult. the only thing that looks like a squid is your pipes bro :D if you think the moderators will put up with the crap of you sayin youll call them out and bull crap like that. thats stupidity. think before you talk man. (ill call them out.) what the he11 are u gonna do to call them out. you gonna wear them out for not wearin a helmet. id gladly pay for a plane ticket for you to come hear and wear me out. i might ride fast but i ride safe. i make sure my bike is running good so i dont get throttle stickage.

MR ATC
05-21-2003, 03:02 PM
i wish i could post the pictures of my friend "Bucky" after he decided to ride my CR500 without a helmet...but i can give you details he hit a 350X head on they the doctors had to remove his face to rebuild the front of his skull...broken eye sockets,jaw,crushed nose. he still did not learn and he hit a school bus on his CR480 and crushe his weakened skull again. now he no longer rides.

got a $10.00 head wear a 10.00 helmet no helmet head no value

Billy Golightly
05-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Against my better judgement I will let this thread continue, as long as it stays semi civil...I have but one comment to make...

Ye who whereth not his helmet favor not thy brain!

TimSr
05-21-2003, 05:44 PM
I realize that there are very many dialects and variations of the language we call "English", but here in the Midwest region of the USA, the definition of sport is "an activity done for enjoyment or recreation", and does not necessarily involve competition. We use such terms as sportsfishing, sportshunting, shooting sports, and some of us have even order ATV parts from a place called powersportspro.com, and may ride what is often referred to as a sport bike or sport quad or even sport trike. Of course this has little relevance to whether or not riding without helmets is damaging to the image the public has of ATV riders, which is a much more important topic to debate.

cmracer15
05-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Once again richie, first of all, i think this was a waste of a thread! Yes, i understand that helmets save lives,along with other gear. but now that you have said it TWICE..i think thats enough. you dont have to talk like a badd ass sayin you will stop someone not wearin a helmet and roost them. Cuz i gurantee your the first time you do "roost" someone and they catch you and beat the living hell out of you..you wont ever bother them again!.. Now that you got your point out to everyone...its said for the last time...Helmets will protect your head everyone!!!!...now thats said..lets drop this subject and quit arguing. If they dont wana wear one..mind about your own busniess and laugh if u like.but please keep it to yourself.

smokinwrench
05-21-2003, 10:57 PM
I admit I don't wear a helmet all the time. I don't wear one when I'm just out for a light duty little cruise with the family. I should wear it more often than I do.

It just pisses me off when some weirdo freaky f***er tells me I have to wear my brain bucket or I'll mess up his riding.

YOU MUST BE PRETTY DAMN YOUNG TO BE USING A PHRASE LIKE SQUID ( YOU MUST WATCH THE TV SHOW "ROCKET POWER" AT THE SAME TIME MY 2 AND 4 YEAR OLD WATCH IT.

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW (RACERRICHIE) I'LL WEAR MY HELMET IF I EVER RIDE AROUND YOU, BECAUSE I'M GONNA CRASH INTO YOU ON PURPOSE AND SEND BOTH OF US TO THE ER JUST TO PROVE A POINT.

THAT I CAN MESS UP YOUR RIDING EVEN WHILE I'M WEARING A HELMET.

AND YOU ASK WHY??

IT'S BECAUSE I'M A A%%HOLE

Josh Smith
Cimarron Ks

Ivan T
05-22-2003, 02:35 AM
Lets take this one step further,

Am I allowed to wear an open face helmet and ride without being publicly ridiculed or does it have to be full-face?

Are there any prefered suppliers???
Will a MTB helmet suffice as i go faster on my MTB more of the time than on the atcs??

Whats the use of having a protected head but a snapped neck?? is a helmet just perceived safety to keep people happy. I am sure atcs have cause more neck injury than head injury in their time. Is this right?

atcmatt
05-22-2003, 06:25 AM
man they will not ban 4 wheelers
they might restrict them but thats it
if someone wants to ride without one thats his or herts own buisness not urs bro. i ride without a helmet. all the time. and i ride very fast all the time. guess what when i get my cr500 i wont where a helmet.

well arent you being a dickhead!!!!!!!!!

ATC350X 85
05-22-2003, 10:36 AM
This is a very important issue. Out of all the riding gear you could buy, the boots, pants, chest protector, and gloves, the helmet is the most important one, and really the only one you truly need to be safe. You hit your head the wrong way and youre DEAD! 2 weeks ago when i didnt make it up a hill all the way and my X rolled over me it smashed my head into the dirt, that woulda sucked if i didnt where a helmet, i probly wouldnt be typing this right now, id be dead or id be eating thru a tube. I think its so stupid to not wear a helmet and I cant stand it when all these out of towners come to our local area with everything but the helmet, and then to top it off they ride double and do wheelies in the pit with there helmetless girlfriends on the back of there craptor. Get a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro clue where a helmet. And when these retards get hurt and the helicopter comes in to get them, that riding area is under fire and risks being closed, so all you helmetless retards ruin it for the rest of us, I hope your happy. Spend $100 on a helmet instead of that sweet loud muffler that pisses everyone off, GET A CLUE WHERE A HELMET!!! :evil: :twisted:

MR ATC
05-22-2003, 12:03 PM
helmets will not save our sport. what will save our sport is when the clueless people who do not wear them stop sueing everyone when they hurt themselves and blame it on the machine.

ATC350X 85
05-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Yet another good point MR ATC. That could be why we dont have new 3 wheelers anymore.

lushatc200x
05-22-2003, 02:06 PM
hey guys you ever notice the rules say no cussin yet i see someone sayin the (f) word. they dont make the rules for nothin

J.D.
05-22-2003, 02:37 PM
I don't see anywhere in the rules about no cussing, but they say "let's TRY to keep the forums clean"...keyword: try

:D 8) ;)

RacerRichie
05-22-2003, 03:13 PM
hey guys you ever notice the rules say no cussin yet i see someone sayin the (f) word. they dont make the rules for nothin
:rolleyes:
You sound like a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. GO and tell you mom and dad kiddo!
:rolleyes:

J.D.
05-22-2003, 03:32 PM
Oh now your just being childish RacerRichie, seriously dude, GROW UP!

Billy Golightly
05-22-2003, 03:36 PM
This thread is fastly approaching the "not so civil" anymore stage because of the past few posts. I'm warning you guys, I will shut it down.

lushatc200x
05-22-2003, 04:16 PM
seriously we can debate without cussing each other out. am i an idiot for riding without a helmet. maybe i am maybe i aint but thats how it is.notta thing anyone can do. racerrichie man get a life. just because i punked your threatining post dont mean you have to whine about it. your the one that sounds like a kid man. one day your stupidity will get the best of you. thats how it is in the real world. dont threaten people you know nothing about. cause it might get you hurt. wouldnt want to see that know would we ;)

TimSr
05-22-2003, 04:34 PM
The biggest threat to our sport is that we cant even seem to discuss an issue as simple as the impact of safety gear AMONGST OURSELVES without a bunch of childish namecalling, and personal attacks. The whole idea of debate is to try change the minds of others with intelligent discussion of the facts, and respect for the other person's point of view. I have never, ever seen a person change their opinion because someone else told them their opinion was stupid, idiotic, or whatever other adjective you wish to stick in there. This thread could have been very productive, but at this point, I dont think anything useful can come out of it, and I would recommend that HondaATC lock it. People get impressions about others by what they post. I hope everyone is satisfied which whatever impression they have created about themselves.

Billy Golightly
05-22-2003, 04:39 PM
I concur. Its sad that it came down to this...but I hope you guys are happy with what was said, because I sure am not.