PDA

View Full Version : will this work?

3-WheelHogger
11-06-2007, 05:20 PM
i'm wondering if a 350 big bear head will work on a 400 big bear? the exhaust stud holes on my 400 are both shot ... looking at pics of a 350 head it seems to be exactly the same as the 400 .... i might be wrong though .. i know the bore sizes are the same so maybe the stroke is what makes the difference on the bikes ... i'm trying to figure if a 350 head will work is because i can't find a 400 head anywhere but there seems to be plenty of 350 heads lying around on ebay ... anyone know the answer?

cody2
11-06-2007, 10:20 PM
i dont think it will. i really dont but i dont know much about either bike

MTS
11-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Get your head heli-coil'd new studs, its dirt cheap and better than the hassle of ebay heads.

3-WheelHogger
11-08-2007, 01:33 AM
i already tried a heli coil ... it worked on 1 but the other is not happening .... yamaha engineers suck .... the way the other stud hole is designed it makes a near impossible fix if damaged. 1/4 of the upper stud hole is gone so that the outer rim of the hole is not in the way when the exhaust gasket is installed. this makes it very hard to keep the heli-coil tap straight or give the heli-coil itself a good bite it the aluminum .... needless to say ... i've now got an even bigger stripped out hole .... i had an idea that might work & if it doesn't then i'll still have to find a new head ... maybe i can fill the hole completely with JB weld or some molten aluminum, let it fully harden for a couple days and then come back and re-tap a new (smaller) stud hole? think it might work? if it doesnt ... F it then! i'll have to get a new head ...

RedRider_AK
11-08-2007, 04:08 AM
What you do is have your aluminum welder friend weld up that hole, then drill and tap it again. Voila, you have a new stud hole.

3-WheelHogger
11-08-2007, 11:38 AM
i think it'll work RedRider ...