PDA

View Full Version : Is a blown valve on a warrior a big job to fix.

trimoto.125
11-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Ok a guy called me up today saying he has a warrior for sale but he says "the topend is blown" because the vavle broke or something along the line of that. He has two rear razor tires,battery, front tires are bald and it needs a new seatcover and clutch cable.Oh yeah its a 1997 warrior. I am more of a twostroke mechanic and rider so i wasn't sure if this deal was worth pursuing. And is this a fast quad. Also how much should i pay?:confused:

RedRider_AK
11-07-2007, 02:29 AM
No the Warrior isn't very fast. Imagine a Honda Rancher engine or something like that, in a slightly lighter chassis. Basically that's how it is. If the valve "broke", I imagine it's a slightly bigger job than just replacing the valve itself. By "top end" I guess he means the cylinder, head, piston and valvetrain at the least, and maybe there's a bent connecting rod in there to make you smile. I would pass on this and find a 250R or something like that, unless you can get it for REAL CHEAP (cheap enough to get a different engine off of FleaBay).

trimoto.125
11-07-2007, 08:21 PM
He was asking 350.

Mosh
11-07-2007, 08:43 PM
400 dollar quad at best.
If you want a easy quad to ride for a newbie or your wife,and want to put in the wrench time,it would be worth 400 bucks.
You could always part it out too.Warriors part good.Heck a good rear shock and starter and pipe will bring close to 400 bucks back.
You can find good running 99 warriors for around 1000 bucks around here.

trimoto.125
11-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm no newbee lol i can drive the fast stuff and the trikes, unfortunately i don't have a sport quad or a trike yet...I didn't thing the trimoto's would be concidered a sport trike.The 175 is prety peppy though. I might buy it but i have the gut feeling of it not being soo good as the guy described it to me on the phone.If the tires are bald( on the front especially) is shows neglect and high miles lol.

trimoto.125
11-07-2007, 09:15 PM
I will probably end up buying a polaris atv with no engine and frankenstyn it with snowmobile engine in it.

bigreddaddy
11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
From what I've read its about 50/50 on reviews for the warrior. I guess you either love 'em or hate 'em.
If you have read my warrior post you will see that I just picked up an '02. I traded a boat motor for it and needs a top end job as well (lost compression). I guess if your used to fast bikes the warrior is slow. But I'm used to big reds for the most part. My last truly fast ride was a 250r back in the '80's. So after going with a wiseco .040 I am pretty sure it will be a fast bike for me. And its got a lot of the best mods already, White Bros. exhaust, durablue adjustable axle, new rims/razors all around, rear gasser (don't know if thats stock or not), nerfs, etc. Hell I know it will be plenty fast for me.
Take a compression tester along with you if you go look at it. If its got good compression then it should just be a valve problem which is not much. There are tons of mods you can do to the motor also including big bore kits.
G.L.

Wickedfinger
12-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Everybody loves to bash the old Warriors, but they were great quads for what they were made to do - sport riding. As long as you dont try to make it into something it ISN'T - its a good, solid, do just about anything quad. As long as you (or the previous owner) changed the oil, cleaned it and greased it every once in a while - they would and will run forever. If for some reason it does break - parts are everywhere and that stone age, 2 valve motor is a simple, 9th grade level power tech class fix.