PDA

View Full Version : 08 Banshee vs 08 Raptor 700

cody2
11-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Ok, well im in the process at looking for bikes. Its pretty much Yamaha vs Yamaha here.

First of all i was looking at the banshee because there 2 stroke. There easy to keep running cheap and theres not much to go wrong on them. Not to mention there fast as hell. Then the raptor. I have no experience with the raptor.

One of my main influences in looking at the banshee is this. There are banshees from 87 running stronger then the ones today, they last forever. But some of these new 4strokes are broke more then there fixed. Im not much of a mechanic but i can have it maintenanced enough and i can handle the bike. I have no experience with a raptor at all.

For riding i ride some woods roads, some long trails and some technical stuff, my friend has a banshee with toomy exhausts and it works fine for trails. Not to mention how fast it is. So really, i need help here.

How reliable is the banshee compared to the raptor, would i have better luck with the banshee then my kfx507?

smokinwrench
11-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Banshee is no longer built, it was discontinued in 06? I think. I would go with the Raptor over the banshee any day. I owned a banshee it was the biggest pile of junk quad I have ever owned. Handled horrible and it was kick start and no reverse.

oldskool83
11-07-2007, 02:18 PM
every place but the USA i think you can get banshees yet...07's for sure. they do seem out dated personaly. Get trx250R if you want a 2 stroke. they are getting pretty now days. the new rator just seems like to much techo to get dirty to me.

cody2
11-07-2007, 05:28 PM
every place but the USA i think you can get banshees yet...07's for sure. they do seem out dated personaly. Get trx250R if you want a 2 stroke. they are getting pretty now days. the new rator just seems like to much techo to get dirty to me.

No, i live in Canada there is an 08 banshee. I dont care about out dating, i just wanted to know about reliability. Because I heard it was better then that of some fourstrokes and i was just wondering. Its between those 2 bikes so.

oldskool83
11-07-2007, 06:10 PM
ive heard good about banshees and bad...i dont hear anything about raptors other then people calling them craptors.

id get the banshee then, who knows 09 may be the last for you guys so then it would be cool to have somthing of the last kind. what are the colors for 08..post some pics up.

MTS
11-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Dump em both, go get a new KTM 450/525, they by Far Outrun the rappy.

cody2
11-08-2007, 06:45 PM
ktm cost too much.
the colors are black and orange.
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=2328&class=78&group=A|&LANG=en
thats the 08, i prefer the red 07 actually
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=2079&class=78&group=A|1&LANG=en

200x newby
11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Banshee or Trx250r or trx 450r/450er..... the Raptor is a glourified blaster and they handle like crap everyone of my friends hate them... poor handling and tipsey

cody2
11-08-2007, 10:31 PM
but nobody told me how reliable they are thats what i want to know

Nightbiker07
11-09-2007, 12:02 AM
well, my buddy has a 02 660 raptor....and its always broke. ALWAYS.
and i think that EFI would be an abortion on a quad when it decided to stop working..........
ill bet anything that your 507cc KFX will whoop a raptors *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* any day.

if the banshee is 2 stroke (i thought they made it into a 4 stroke?) get that one if you can live without reverse.

and remember, 2 stroke motors have to be rebuilt more than a 4 stroke. so, it is all about what you want, comparing 2 bikes on completely opposite ends of the spectrum is not wise. these 2 bikes are completely different.

but realistically, i would get a trx250r, they handle better than both.

bottom line is: raptors ARE slow........a 700cc sport quad should be much faster than they are.......yes, they are torquey, but overall, they dont accelerate anything like a atc250r...... like i said, your current kfx will eat a raptor.

bigreddaddy
11-09-2007, 08:54 AM
I though the trx250r was no longer made??? Didn't they stop making them in like '89???

cody2
11-09-2007, 04:56 PM
they do.
i dont want a 250r i want a brand new bike.
how often do you think i will have to rebuild,what has to be done and how much will it cost? i owned a 2stroke 125 dirtbike in my childhood and it was pretty reliable. And my kfx DOES EAT RAPTORS and even the occasional banshee, it beats them stock.

Nightbiker07
11-09-2007, 10:43 PM
depends on your riding style. if you have the motor pegged all the time, rebuild every year. if you just ride normally, it could be 5 to 7 years between rebuilds.
a normal top end rebuild includes piston and rings (2 for the banshee), bore and hone cylinders. maybe 300 to 400, depending on shop cost to bore, and piston cost, and weather you assemble yourself.

i dont have a lot of experience with 2 strokes, but this is what i have heard, as far as rebuildability.

talked to another guy with a 04 raptor.......its always broke too.
the verdict: their crap.

so, if you are lookin to go faster than your KFX, get the shee, then do some light mods. then when you want more power, well, mod it more. i have heard pwople getting 120 horses out of their shees and it still be a reliable rider, with gains as much as 150+ horses, used for dragging.

but i thought honda made a racing 2 stroke 250 quad up until the 2 stroke phase out?

Nightbiker07
11-09-2007, 10:45 PM
to really know if you will like the shee better than your kfx, take one for a spin. you said you have a friend with one?

cody2
11-12-2007, 11:32 AM
yeah i rode it its a bit faster then my kfx actually, stock it wasnt however. he said good things about it and i dont ride hard, so yeah it looks like im going to get a banshee, thanks for the help.

oldsking86
11-18-2007, 01:27 AM
I can't believe you would even think a Raptor with a Banshee... yea they are the same company but STILL!!! You;ll be happy with the Shee... WHen you get it, ES2 is a great forum for banshees you'll learn soooo much on there on how to get em running really well. If suspension is a concern then you'll find there how to make it better.

Post pics of the new toy! :)

BigReds Forever
11-18-2007, 01:40 AM
I know not many will agree with me, but i like my raptor 660. Its an 03 and i bought it new. all i have done is change the oil and coolant, tighten the chain, and put new tires on it. I dont ride it everyday but I when i do i ride quite hard. Its never left me sitting, ever... The new 700 is alot nice than the 660 as well. The sit a tad lower (still a little higher that it could be) but it makes for a good woods machine. And they make tons of power. You cant expect mx style handling AND ground clearance. Even with the higher center of gravity, ive only rolled it once and that would have happened to any quad in those circumstances. As for reliability of the new 4 strokes, the early 660's (01-02) had some tranni issues, but those have long since been fixed. The whole 450 bread, especially the yfz450, is junk for reliability (short piston skirt leads to extensive wear). The 700 is a completely different bread and gets my vote over the banshee.

cody2
11-18-2007, 10:34 PM
actually i bought a motor out of a z400 suzuki 440 big bore and a yfz carb for $1200 im just going to rig up a mx bike and wait 2 years to get the banshee, once i pay off the sportsman then its banshee time. the piston and cylinder needed to be replaced in the kfx thats why it woudlnt start, it had no compression what so ever.

oOGoFastOo
11-27-2007, 10:35 PM
i had my banshee for 5 years that i rode the piss out of it and it never let me down. i love the orange and black stock colors mine was custome painted orange with checkered flags ripping through it. it was bad *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* i loved that bike.

Tri-Z Pilot
11-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I would look into the banshees before they quit making them you can make them hanlde and run great with a little money. I didnt even know you could get them new elswhere still. Can you still get blasters up there too?

cody2
11-28-2007, 04:40 PM
no theres no blasters. just the banshees, but my dad might be getting an 08 banshee on trade for his harley electra glide soo.