PDA

View Full Version : kx250 is driving me koo-kooo

dirtbike77
05-20-2003, 09:53 PM
i rebuilt the transimisssion on the bike.. i even pout a new countershaft and the bearing.. put the bike back together it ran fine... for a couple of hours... so after a while the clutch would seem to loose its pulling tension so i screwed one the adjustment out to get the feelm back.. it wirked for a while but then all of sudden the clutch went out it had no tension at all... took it aprt but cannot seem to find anything wrong... i even brought a new clutch kit for it and when i put it together it seems as if the realease arm isnt pushing the rod enough? i brought a new release arm and the rod dont show any signs of wear?

its a 1991 kx250.... anyhelkp or advice of a website would be greatly appreciated..

thanx a million.

MIK6
05-20-2003, 10:34 PM
What are you using to hold the clutch as you remove stuff??? I know on my tecate (KXT250) if it is in gear when I put the clutch basket back on it will not seat all the way down onto the splines. I had to do all the stuff you said. SO I put it into neutral and zipped the basket back on w/ an impact, and the problem was fixed.
Just an idea of something to look for!!
Let me know if it helps
MIK6 / Mike

dirtbike77
05-21-2003, 09:47 AM
even if it was the problem why would it work for a while and just give out? when i had firswt put it back togetther it felt normal and was riding fine.. it moved in gear as lil but it was operating normal...a nd then when i went to crank her up it felt like nothing no kinda tension at all?

dirtbike77
05-22-2003, 07:16 AM
i put the old release arm back in the casing it seemed to work when i first pulled it... but then i heard a clicking sound and the tension kinda went away? i went ahead and crunk up the dirtbike in nutral the bike was moving a little bit... now when i went to pull in the clutch the bike jump into gear by itself making a clicking sound eveytime i pulled in the clutch?

any suggestions?

dirtbike77
05-22-2003, 07:20 AM
could the gears in the tranny still be partially engaged? but still what is geeting me is why the clutch is acting weird?

MIK6
05-22-2003, 10:00 AM
If the basket is not seated all the way down, the push rod is not long enuff to totally ingage the clutch. Make sure you have all the washers in the rite place, the trans is in neutral and the basket is seated all the way down. I only got about 1/2 a turn more when I did it rite, but it was enuff to make a difference.

GOOD LUCK
MIK6 / Mike

dirtbike77
05-22-2003, 09:45 PM
do u think this can be the cause for it being in gear partially.. when it is in nuetral?

now that i think about it the basket itself had a lil play to it?

what s a good way to tighten the bolt if u dont have the grabbit tool..

MIK6
05-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Yep. I bet that is your problem. When you have the basket off check for grooves in the side where the plates touch the basket. I know w/ the power a KX 250 puts to the basket they tend to groove theside of it. I hit mine w/ a Dremmel tool and knock the grooves off, this will help the smothness too.

GOOD LUCK
MIK6 / Mike

dirtbike77
05-25-2003, 12:02 PM
problem solved followed mike6 plan and it work... i also found to screws misin which hold the countershaft bearing from sliding back and fourth,, now shes riding str8....