PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Graphic Images Shown!

gotcams?
11-17-2007, 01:40 PM
What a series of unfortunate events that lead me to start Thanksgiving break at 9:30 yesterday morning. Building up the weld on my trike, my instructor came in and said I needed to do my vertical stick welding. Pleading with him, I gave in, turned the machine to SMAW. Starting doing a bead up the plate and then, I wasn't paying attention to the pool. It started dripping, so I jerked the rod to the left to let the pool solidify.

The rod was burning too hot an when I went back the weld pool turned back to liquid. The liquid collected at the bottom where I couldn't see it and then the most horrific pain I ever felt. Metal dripped off in a chunk and rolled down into my boot. I felt the burning so I thought a spark went in my boot, and I hit at my foot. That, only intensifing the burning, I threw my shoe off and the smell of pickled pigs feet hit my nose.

So, Lortab 10's and an appointment Tuesday to get the dead skin brushed out. Nerves are burned so I can't feel it, but it's getting really tender.

Dirtcrasher
11-17-2007, 01:51 PM
OUCH!!!! Man that had ta hurt!! I've gotten some baby burns that hurt like hell, that was one big pool of molten lava...

gotcams?
11-17-2007, 02:09 PM
All in all it wasn't as bad as you think it would be. It didn't hurt for more than five seconds before the nerves fried, then nothing. The metal rolled under the tongue to where it was burning against my foot, sock, and leather. I'm talking red, orange hot metal. Damned Doc Martins, I couldn't yank the boot off, so it burned while I frantically tore at the laces. Then when it was loose enough, yanked that bad boy off.

On a side note, they'll give you Lortabs that'll last the day of your "scrubbing of dead skin" It still doesn't hurt just, tender. So I'm saving them until I start to feel it. But after the take the nylon brush and scrub out the skin, I'm sure they'll give me more. Just a tip for anyone who might do this in the future.

SWIGIN
11-17-2007, 03:36 PM
i had the same thing hapen to me in metal shop.

the blob that went in my shoe was about 3/8 - 1/2 and just melted into the top of my foot till it hit bone.

i didnt get it looked at.... just rub dirt in it and it will heal nice....lol

gotcams?
11-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Lol, I was debating. I sat outside and smoked a marlboro that I lit off my foot. I called dad and asked him to bring some shoes and that I burned my hoof. I didn't want to go to the hospital because it would of been embarrasing on my part. I mean it was cateraized and all, but it felt like something was in my foot. I'm glad I ended up going, reguardless.

Doesn't feel too pretty does it?

The Goat
11-17-2007, 05:02 PM
i had gasoline have a little vaporization and burn like 20% of the skin and nerves off of the left hand.

some tylenol and a bottle of vodka later, trimmed all the dead skin myself when it blistered. neosporin, and now the only way to tell is lack of hair.

i feel bad for ya buddy, i hate those scrubs. eh...razorblade and scissors. so much LESS trouble.

chris200x
11-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Ouch! Nothing worse than the Betadine and the scrub brush. Been there...

I'm taking welding up at work and this is by far one of my biggest fears. Not to mention the toxic smoke you inhale all day.

84honda200s
11-17-2007, 06:19 PM
i do a bit of stick welding. ive done it before and it sucks. ive had a few like a paper cut. they were small but they hurt like no tomorrow.

hey chris: the smoke isnt way too bad. well depending on what your welding and how clean it is. i welded galvanized stuff before and i wont do it ever again. even with a filter on it bugged me.

chris200x
11-17-2007, 07:53 PM
i do a bit of stick welding. ive done it before and it sucks. ive had a few like a paper cut. they were small but they hurt like no tomorrow.

hey chris: the smoke isnt way too bad. well depending on what your welding and how clean it is. i welded galvanized stuff before and i wont do it ever again. even with a filter on it bugged me.

We weld mostly stainless steel at work. (we make stainless steel ovens and grittles for mcdonald's and other commercial uses) I'm having a heck of a hard time with it too :rolleyes: . but I've heard stories and seen some scars from the old timers. it pays well,, but I'm not sure if its worth it in the long run. yeah they have exhaust fans.. but they dont help much when your face is a foot away from the work your doing!

I keep looking at the pic he posted of that burn... MAN that gotta hurt!

jason85atc250r
11-17-2007, 10:27 PM
i did one like that on my wrist from a mig welder. ive burned myself alot less since i quite wearing gloves. the stuff just bouncess off instead of geting stuck in betwwen hand and glove:lol:

Dirtcrasher
11-18-2007, 01:11 PM
We weld mostly stainless steel at work. (we make stainless steel ovens and grittles for mcdonald's and other commercial uses) I'm having a heck of a hard time with it too :rolleyes: . but I've heard stories and seen some scars from the old timers. it pays well,, but I'm not sure if its worth it in the long run. yeah they have exhaust fans.. but they dont help much when your face is a foot away from the work your doing!

I keep looking at the pic he posted of that burn... MAN that gotta hurt!

Keep at it bro!! There's good money in hoods/make-up air. Stainless takes time but once you get it, there's a big window of opportunities out there :beer

jason 32
11-18-2007, 03:14 PM
ouch!!-
i know the feeling as well- (slag is slag)- mig smaw stainless- its all liquid metal-
i had a small amount go into my foot burnt through the boot into my bridge of my foot i am so glad it wasn't very deep- it pays to be safe when welding!!!
STAY AWAY FROM THE FUMES- it causes nerve damage!!!!,and all kinda of bad stuff-
sheilded ,and flux cored is bad

brapp
11-18-2007, 05:48 PM
and go figur ei was pissed in tech when i cought my pants on fire with the mig sprks the one day and didnt realis eit until the flamew wer eamost coing up my chest.

chris200x
11-18-2007, 07:29 PM
and go figur ei was pissed in tech when i cought my pants on fire with the mig sprks the one day and didnt realis eit until the flamew wer eamost coing up my chest.

So who wants to give brapp some typing lessons? :lol:

84honda200s
11-18-2007, 07:41 PM

yea ive done that too. sucks when you turn into a ball of fire. not to mention it hurts like hell sometimes.

pickleweasel_00
11-18-2007, 10:34 PM
that'll leave a nice scar :beer I did that to my arm right on the inside of the elbow but i wasn't lucky enough to burn any nerves so I felt it for awhile :(