PDA

View Full Version : Anyone struggle with addiction?

Erics350x
11-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Any of you ever had and addiction like drugs, alcohol, ect. ? How did you deal with/overcome it? NA, AA, Church, cold turky?
Trike addiction doesn't count.lol

Russell 350X
11-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Smoking. I smoke a pack or more a day, and have been trying to quit, but its not easy, espeically with collage and work. Other than that and trikes, never had a addiction lol.

steven 250sx
11-21-2007, 12:59 AM
beer lol but i've grown out of it i donno it wasn't that bad i guess but still getting drunk everynight was an addiction

ATC-Eric
11-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Ive smoked cigarettes for about 8-9 years now. Ive quit 10 times, including one 6 month run.

My problem is that I associate my cigarettes as a tension reliever, or a break so to speak as I worked in the food industry for a long time.

At this point I know I really should quit for my health, but Im in no hurry.

The six month stretch had to do with not being around the same people for a while, and then it gets easy. Especially when you have a girlfriend breathing down your throat about quiting. Then at one point I had a cigarette to get back at her, and have been back on them for the past year and a half now. :D

The Goat
11-21-2007, 04:36 AM
whenever i first got my own place with a friend from highschool, i had at least a 6 pack a day for 10 months. that and my bar tabs each month was nearly 800 bucks.

i don't know if it was an addiction though...i mean yeah i was drinking a lot, but mainly it was out of fun and obligation. we were all going out every single night and having a blast...so i really didn't notice.

but one day i just looked around while drinking, me and a girlfriend had killed a fifth of jack, a pint of jack, and a half pint of jack, all during pirates of the Caribbean 3 in the theater and i walked out pretty much sober.

i was like, "i'm drinking too much" i still drink, but usually only a few times a month. not bad considering i'm at one of the nation's biggest party schools.

i've also been smoking off and on since i was 11.

started with an occasional cigar, then later in highschool i was smoking a pack of reds a day. but i'd do random little month long periods where i wouldn't smoke at all. now i only smoke when i go out, or the occasional cigarette while driving. no more than a pack a week. considering my grandpa smoked nonfiltered cigarettes for 55 years and he's still going at age 89, i'm not particularly worried about my one little pack.

there's my story of addiction, didn't quit, but certainly moderated.

Macs
11-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Well, i am a very addicted person. I was addicted to cocaine. The only thing that made me quit was my wife threatning to leave me. I know i can never be around it or i will be right back on it.
The second addiction is drinking. I drink about a six pack a day. Sometimes more on the weekends. This will be my next problem to get rid of. I tried to quit once and started having hallucinations. I am probly going to need help with that one. Been doing it for 13 years.
The third is cigs. I am at 2 packs a day. I have quit twice, for over a year both times but i need to put them down for good.

For some reason i function pretty well. i run a multi million dollar company, treat my family excellent. It is just the health issues i am worried about.
both of my parents were drug addicts and alcholics when i was born ( yes, while my mom was pregnant with me) I think this may be a root cause of my problem. They are clean now. I didnt even know about it until i was fighting the coke addiction. If i try something addictive once i am hooked.

Aka_am
11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
cigs, and pot..i don't know if i'm addicted, but if some wants like smoke this blunt...i'm like nah...then 10 minutes later im cheefing on it. :(

It's put me on a year of probation, i lost my license for 6 months becuase of it (same thing and time) and yeah for this whole year, i smoke like twice..second time i got caught and we'll see how that goes..it prolly doesn't help everyone i know and people that live in my house do it. along with smoking cigs..it sucks i don't want to touch either but..i just keeping going back.

Erics350x
11-21-2007, 01:57 PM
For me it's Speed - meth, coke, ect. I lost everthing about 4 years ago, a job making a $100'000 a year, house, cars, bikes, friends, family, the list goes on... At my bottom a good friend got me to go to church and my life hasn't been the same since. Im working a good job (doesn't pay much) now and trying to live me life "right". I have gained back more than i lost other than the high pay scale job. I still struggle with the memory's and dreams and have had a few small relapses, i just don't feel satisfied with much anymore. I'm sure if i got the rest of my life in order in the eyes of God it would all fall into place. Now my wife has me goin to NA meetings, but i just dont see the point since they lead you to beleive in a higher power, which i already have.

ATC-Eric
11-21-2007, 02:14 PM
For me it's Speed - meth, coke, ect. I lost everthing about 4 years ago, a job making a $100'000 a year, house, cars, bikes, friends, family, the list goes on... At my bottom a good friend got me to go to church and my life hasn't been the same since. Im working a good job (doesn't pay much) now and trying to live me life "right". I have gained back more than i lost other than the high pay scale job. I still struggle with the memory's and dreams and have had a few small relapses, i just don't feel satisfied with much anymore. I'm sure if i got the rest of my life in order in the eyes of God it would all fall into place. Now my wife has me goin to NA meetings, but i just dont see the point since they lead you to beleive in a higher power, which i already have.

Ive watched a couple people go down the same road, from the top with a lot to lose, all the way to the bottom with nothing to lose.

Good to hear your on a good path Eric :)

SYKO
11-21-2007, 03:22 PM
when I was younger around 15, I started getting into almost everything, but then I got a car, and was slightly interested in fixing it up, I guess my MOM saw what could happen, so she encouraged me and helped me fix up my rides, including coming to the cars shows and even fixing up her cars as well. If it wasnt for my MOm I wouldnt have become the person I am now, I dont smoke, no drugs, and barely even drink. What I enjoy more it working on cars and riding and racing with freinds!! Both my parents were major suporters first my mom getting me interested in positive things, and then after she passed away, My DAD for keeping my head up and letting me know that things will get better. Now that both my parents are gone, I can safely say that Im the strongest most positive person I can be, I dont let anything bring me down, and I forge ahead with all my might!!

hublake
11-21-2007, 05:41 PM
There is no future in the abuse of any type of addiction. This past Feb. 2007 my wife and I lost a son that had a very bad substance abuse problem along with a serious medical condition. We just came back from court today and our daughter is going to be sentenced on Dec. 17 to a year in the county jail for 3 felony charges related to substance abuse. She could have gotten up to 21 years in prison but through plea deals she is only getting 1 year in the county jail. Our son was 35, it would have been his birthday yesterday. Our daughter is 27. For all of you that have problems with alcohol or durgs of any type, if you value your like, do not be afraid to seek help. These are tough battles to overcome by yourself.

ceaserthethird
11-21-2007, 06:22 PM
All i can say if you really want to change - Theirs only 1 person who can HELP you!

Jesus .... Find a church

If you need help finding 1 i can recommend 1 or PM me your Name , Address , Phone

I'll have them at your Door step in a few days !

Bryan Raffa
11-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Im Chairing a AA meeting tonight. Hublake I feel for ya dude! Im 33

(For all of you that have problems with alcohol or durgs of any type, if you value your like, do not be afraid to seek help. These are tough battles to overcome by yourself.)

I value that!....Friend of Bob's:D ;)

Dirtcrasher
11-21-2007, 06:38 PM
I lost my wife because she enjoyed coke more than being with me..... Tore us apart. I have allot of friends that are into coke or crack, I call them friends but I don't hang out with people doing that crap. Since I lost the wife I am very much against anyone doing hard drugs because I see what it did to her and us.

I drink too much. It's just beer but it's at least 3 or 4 a day and more on weekends. Might take me 3 hours to drink them but it builds up a tolerance and makes me gain weight. I've quit before for a few months when I got sick of it and I'll probably stop again.

For me it's more out of boredom, I just feel bored unless beer is involved in Winning an auction! Mowing the lawn! Watching Football!!!!! Dammit, now I', thirsty!! LOL....

Anyhoot, Eric it takes a big man to even admit he has or has had a problem and it's good to hear you know what it cost you once and hopefully you can avoid it from here on.

I'm uncertain of the whole "GOD" thing. I believe you have to want better for yourself and expect nothing in return. I'd rather laugh than cry and live than die.

This world we live in isn't any easy one. There's allot of anger out there. Allot of bad people and people that will lie to you, steal from you and take advantage of you. It doesn't help that the rich get richer and control everything. We continue to spiral towards the poor class. Our pay can't even match the cost of living and heating costs and gasoline are through the roof.

I'm glad I'm alive now because it is only gonna get harder and harder to live and survive in this world.

Rm250RF900R
11-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Well ive been through it all. Coke, crack, pot, alcohol ect ect. And im only 19. I havent touched pot coke or any of the stuff in about 2 years. I am young, I want to live a little longer. I didnt get any help for it i quit cold turkey and im damn proud of what i have accomplished. But alcohol seems to be the tricky one to quit. I used to be able to drink almost a handle a night of bacardi rum when i was bad. But now i work, so i only drink on the weekends. The withdrawls are unbareable. But im managing.

super90
11-21-2007, 08:11 PM
I smoke chew tobacco and smoke cigarettes basically. Trying to get away from the cigarettes but thats all my friends ever want so thats what I usually get. Never got into and drugs except smoking some weed a few times. Drink beer once in a while but thats all. Never any hard drugs for me, ive seen what it can do to people and I dont want to go there!

Dirtcrasher
11-21-2007, 09:08 PM
I smoke chew tobacco and smoke cigarettes basically

You smoke chew tobacco!!??

Does that mean you chew cigarettes??!! EEEEYYYYYUUUUUU

NASTY!! J/K!!

super90
11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
lol, yeah i forgot the & sign. But onetime we and a few friends were hunting and actually smoked copenhagen snuff.... It wasnt very good at all to tell you the truth.

Tri-ZNate
11-21-2007, 09:33 PM
lsmoked copenhagen snuff.... It wasnt very good at all to tell you the truth.

Its supposed to be snorted, Like Crack :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce. Not good snorted either :eek:. Just throw the fatty in your lip and call it a dip. Dang I'mma rythmin

Just Skoal For me, I like my chewin tabacky

theonlyjosh
11-21-2007, 09:40 PM
i wouldn't say too bad of an addiction. but for about 4 months i smoked pot almost everyday then my friend got me to try a cig, and then i was only one every few days, then one a day, then 3 now i'm about 7 a day average. it's very hard to quit i've only gone 4 days without once.... i'm only 17 lol... i'm not overly worried but got some reasons to quit just can't bring myself to it right now. i feel for ya bud.

Billy Golightly
11-21-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't mind the original posters intent of this thread, which I believe is to find others who are dealing/struggling with an addiction. But I do mind a few replies I see here that are borderline bragging on the fact of what illegal drugs they have taken or whatever it may be. Respect the OPs topic at hand without it creeping in another direction.

oldsking86
11-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Caffeine is one for me.. I don't have a drinking problem; I have that figured out ;)

The coffee has become a problem because I usually have to have a cup in the afternoon time because if not I suffer from headaches. Luckily I don't smoke so I don't have that addiction, because it's bad! Best choice, COLD turkey it, it's the only way. You have to have willpower to do it.

firehart
11-21-2007, 10:42 PM
When I was 21, I drank a six pack to a 12 pack of beer a night. It ws my way of dealing with stress and work. My parents helped me. They took me on a long vacation to visit my brother while he was stationed at Ft. Hood. The three weeks away from my job helped me to realize I needed a new job.

ATC-Eric
11-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Caffeine is one for me.. I don't have a drinking problem; I have that figured out ;)

The coffee has become a problem because I usually have to have a cup in the afternoon time because if not I suffer from headaches. Luckily I don't smoke so I don't have that addiction, because it's bad! Best choice, COLD turkey it, it's the only way. You have to have willpower to do it.

Caffeine has become a bad one for me.

I dont feel right without my cup's in the morning, then by the afternoon Im the walking dead.

On a side note that can help those looking for advice.

I smoked pot A LOT throughout highschool, and after. I know its not the addiction that other drugs can have. With the adictions that I have had it has all been mental. I could kick the physical part of cigarettes, and beer, and pot, but it was the mental side I couldnt shake. What led me to quiting pot was not being around it. I was put into a new crowd with the job I had at the time, and it was slowly fased out. After a while, I could be around my old friends while they were getting high, and not feel the urge to join in. Now it feels good to say, "no thanks, Im good."

Once again I know this addiction dosent compete with drugs like coke, or other hard stuff, but its the same principle.

If you can distance yourself from those you use with, its easier. It helped with pot, and cigarettes.

ProCarbine2k1
11-22-2007, 01:01 AM
I love my Copenhagen, been chewing since I was 14. Ive been wanting to quit, it just seems like I change my mind or something when it comes to not buying another can.
I quit when I went to basic training (USAF), but started back up when I got out. Chewed a couple more years and quit for about 6 months. For whatever reason I picked it back up and havent quit since. I know that theres a strong chem. addiction, but what really makes it hard for me is the fact that I love chewing- love the taste or something I guess. Pointers welcome!

Jim mac
11-22-2007, 01:07 AM
I use to drink a lot of beer, we would kill a 30 pack most nights. Did this for years. Never got into any kind of trouble. Bills were always paid, Always got any running around done before the first beer. My daughter always said I was a alky. I told her I could quit anytime I wanted to. She didnt believe me. Well I go and get my chevelle road worthy. we figure the amount of money we spent on beer in a month I could get insurance on another car or two. So one sunday evening after about 12 beers I told my kid I quit drinking. She's never heard me say I quit. I always said I could quit any time I wanted. Well its been almost 4 years. First week was kind of like breaking a bad habit. But I havent had a beer since. Cool thing about it, I can be around other people that drinks. Ive even been the designated driver. I find that my addiction went from the alcohol to buying and selling stuff. ATCs, car parts, etc. It seems I dont go and buy anything I dont plan on flipping anymore. Jim

300rman
11-22-2007, 01:51 AM
want a cure for getting drunk alot? get completely blasted......last year i got so shitfaced i threw up for 3 days....couldnt eat, drink, or walk, as i had massive headaches and dizzyness. Now, every time i have anything with alcohol in it, i get instantly sick.........i guess after 10 shots of 190 proof everclear, i shoulda stopped...........but, i kept going till i couldnt go anymore.
i did manage to clean the sink i initially threw up in, while turning around and hitting the toilet though.

i remember most of what happened all 3 days, oddly enough.

DarkestGKnight
11-22-2007, 02:36 AM
im right with some of u guys even tho im 17 i mostly drink every weekend and smoke pot tryed quiteing lasted 2 months then i was back on but lately i have stoped becasue ive been to busy with my bikes.

BigReds Forever
11-22-2007, 04:17 AM
Hey quitters, just wanted to give you all a big high five. Thats great for all of you who have overcome your addictions. Im seriously proud of all of you. And for all that have yet to, keep trying!

Im not bragging in the least, but I believe I can say that I dont have any chemical addictions to speak of. I like my coffee every now and then, but thats basically it. Never drank, smoked, chewed, ect.. I blame it on a good upbringing, (Mom works with troubled kids and is a lab tech., Dad is a Mechanic and First responder.) so ive seen alot of the down side of addictions. Other things that helped were good friends, and my belief in Jesus Christ. And staying busy working in the shop.

Just so I haven't offended anyone, I dont think any less of anyone who is still battling their addictions. I have plenty of friends who drink, smoke, do drugs, ect. I DO understand how they can take hold of your life.

Erics350x
11-22-2007, 09:48 AM
I've come to realize i was an addict long before i started using. It seems i obsess over most anything, which has made it easy to refocus my obsession into things like Trikes, Cars, shopping on Ebay, ect. But that doesn't solve my problems.

Howdy
11-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Everyone one has some sort of addiction. Some good and some bad.
Bubba J says: AA is for Quiters. lol Couldn't resist!!
Howdy

Bryan Raffa
11-22-2007, 11:04 AM
without my sobriety I would have nothing...still sitting in a cell looking at another 5 year's left on the sentance..Thats no joke, Everything I have now Is due to My sobriety..Its hard, Very hard...

Try being at TF on your 2 year anniversary date!:eek: :D

the keg stands down at the OTC camp ,, About Drove me Nuts in 06!!!:lol: :lol:

oldsking86
11-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I have OCD so I think that comes into play with the good side

ProCarbine2k1
11-22-2007, 11:49 AM
I have OCD so I think that comes into play with the good side

Same here bud, and I used to think it was a positive thing too (and very well could be in some circumstances), but sometimes I wonder how much I can really control it... I dont pay attention to how much I do certain things, but sometimes Ill sitback and think how much it controls what I do.
Working on the trike for example, seems like working on something takes me a LOT longer than it should, dont know how to explain it really. Like a simple process will take me a lot longer because Im so obsessive on how the part is clean; like Ill continuosly wipe a part down numerous times in the middle of rebuilding or restoring it... I know Im not explaining myself well, but if you have it you probably know what I mean anyway.

bigreddaddy
11-22-2007, 01:21 PM
I have used almost everything in the book at one time or another. The worst thing in my opinion is drinking and ciggs. I still smoke but i don't do anything else. I drank for about 15 years, mostly beer and shots when at the bar. Almost EVERY bad thing that I had to go through in my life happened while I was drinking. I ran with a crew for all those years who did the same thing. 99% of that time is nothing but regrets. Things I wished I would have never done. I got into a LOT of bar fights, trouble with the law, bad relationships, almost had to do 7 years in prison.
What saved me was becoming a father. I love my son more than anything in this world. I found my faith again, stopped running with my friends. Everything was/is about my boy. I think everyone has to experience down falls in life which in turn makes you stronger. I have two friends in prison right now. One is doing life and the other is doing a couple years.
If you want to change you HAVE to change things around you, stop hanging with those people who don't want to change because they WILL drag you down and DON'T want YOU to change.
If it wasn't for becoming a father I would be doing time in prison and/or be dead already. I found peace. I LOVE being married and being a dad. If you want to change you CAN. Start a relationship with Jesus Christ and HE WILL help you to change your life. I believe this 100% because I have done it.
Guys, there is so much more than this life we are living here. When things get real bad I try and think about that and it really helps me a lot.

GOD Bless.

Black86tri-z
11-22-2007, 02:14 PM
:shiftyeyes: i'm waiting for stoney420 to chime in