PDA

View Full Version : Never shipped anything before. Few questions

TwoHundredEx
11-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Well, I have a few parts that I want to put in the classifieds and honestly, I've never shipped anything before, let alone something to the states. (where it will probably end up going since the majority of this forum live there)

Lets say someone wants my 200X airbox, I put in a box, write the buyers address on paper and tape it on, bring it to the post office and ask them to ship it the specified address? About how much would something like that cost to ship? Lets say from B.C Canada to..... Oklahoma? Just a general estimate.
Basically, what do I say when I go in there? Do they do most of the work for me, or is there certain information that I should know?
I know this seems like a simple question, but I really wouldn't want to waste a buyers time because I didn't know what to do ahead of time.
Also, with a sale, how does it usually work? Buyer sends the money first right?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand this.:D

steven 250sx
11-21-2007, 12:56 AM
lol i want to know this stuff also i've got stuff shipped to me but never shipped anything out

RedRider_AK
11-21-2007, 03:15 AM
What you do is find a box that's just the right size for the part you're shipping, because there's size constraints and the larger a box is determines shipping cost just as much as weight. Then, you package it up with a good amount of packaging tape, write the sender address in the top left corner, the address where it's going in the middle of the box, and take it to the post office. They'll weigh it, tell you how much it'll be, and you pay them, they stick on a label with the postage, and take it away. You should ask for "Delivery Confirmation" if you can, because then you know if the person has received the package at the other end. Plus it only costs another 60 or 70 cents.

Mrs.Mosh
11-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Yes, just what RedRider said.
Try this....
http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/rates/default-e.asp

This may help you get idea of cost on what you are shipping. And yes, the buyer pays BEFORE you ship something.

400exguy
11-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Wouldnt they have to fill out the customs forms just you have to when you send something into Canada?

Dirtcrasher
11-21-2007, 06:49 PM
I have not had fun shipping to Canada. Didn't go too bad using USPS but FEDEX was another thing. They actually came after me 3 months later for 41$ in Customs fees the buyer somehow didn't pay. It is stated in my account that I am responsible for an charges incurred!!

It just takes too long and I can get the same part a week later shipped in the USA in a couple of days. And the paperwork? UUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

Yes, cut the box down with a razor knife to the smallest possible size. I write on the back of thew box the zipcode of who it's going to and whats inside, it helps when your selling allot of stuff. Protect your parts and tape it up real good. Delivery confirmation is a must for expensive parts or shady buyers!!

Here we have Priority mail that only takes about 3 days, Parcel Post that can take weeks and Flat rate boxes that for about 8$ anything you can stuff in it gets shipped.

TwoHundredEx
11-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the replies.
One thing I was worried about was the paperwork, and customs fees. I wasn't sure if I had to pay those going across also.
The items I'd be shipping definitely wouldn't be all that heavy or large either, so I'm hoping the customs fees won't be too pricey.

Mobular
11-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Just take it all to the P.O. and they'll help you out. Claim everything properly. I've done it many times, without incident.

TwoHundredEx
11-23-2007, 01:49 AM
So how bad was the paperwork, if at all?

storm_impulse
11-23-2007, 09:50 AM
customs paper work isnt that hard but it does suck. i have shipped to canada more than i have shipped right here in the US. when your filling out the customs make sure u mark the GIFT spot on the paper. that way there is no customs charges at all.

slugger
11-23-2007, 12:26 PM
when I shipped to canada I did like storm did and marked it "gift" so there were no customs fees and it went thru with no problems.

I use the local fed-ex store and they box and pack it for me so I dont spend the day scrounging for boxes and packing peanuts and bubble wrap and tape.

I can send a 21 pound item any where in the U.S. for 20 dollars, and all I have to do is drop it on their counter pay them and walk away. makes it soooo easy.

when I did ship to canada I think it was like $35.00 dollars so shipping across the border is more expensive but it should not be too much of a hassle.

hope that helps.

slugger

Kintore
11-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Take it to the post office, they will help ya out. Dont go anything other than USPS or canda postal. Fedex and all them kill you on shipping,

ive shipped silcencers to florida i think it was for 22 bucks. www.canadapost.ca will help you out with a guestimater

Aka_am
11-23-2007, 03:20 PM
wow 20 dollars, fedex over here wanted to charge me shipping, plus another 50 to make a box. I said no..and have yet to find a box lol

Dirtcrasher
11-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Canada makes it tough, and unless it is a rare or mint item I just wouldn't buy anything from there. I also don't enjoy shipping there either. It's just not worth the extra cash to me and I want to drop my box off and leave, not waste time filling out forms and waiting in line again......

I have WAY too many boxes, I'll bet I have at least 300 boxes from when EBAY was treatin me good!

storm_impulse
11-23-2007, 04:30 PM
usps is the way to go. i have never had any problems besides sending something that had alil oil in it. customs said it was hazardous material and they sent it back. what really sucks is i have to pay shipping to send it back out. not usps's fault but dumb arse customs. god i hate that!

jason85atc250r
11-23-2007, 09:54 PM
go onto site "usps.com" and click on calculate postage and you can get a shipping quote rite on your computer. i do that when somebody buys my ebay stuff from Canada. the quotes are really close.

you can do the same threw UPS at "ups.com" plus on there you can set up a account and you can print your own labels and they come to your house and pick it up for $4. they bill you every week or two.

i have a daily pickup for selling my ebau stuff. the guy drives by and grabs the stuff off the porch.